Black Prophecy: Tactics Launches Beta Broadside

By Jim Rossignol on June 22nd, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

It's a bit like snooker.
Or, to give the new game its full title, Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict. This was its own project until fairly recently – simply Nexus Conflict – but now this game of online capital ships has become a multiplayer RTS spin-off from F2P space MMO, Black Prophecy. Hence, Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict. Got all that? Right, good, because the beta for this RTS is taking sign ups. In it you’ll pilot a gigantic battleship and duke it out with other players in heavyweight star-sluggery. There’s also a conquest meta-game, with player teams fighting over 22 conquerable regions of the galactic map.

Possibly unrepresentative trailer with long sequences of capital ships pounding each other, below.

I’m rewatching Battlestar Galactica at the moment, and it made me realise that the series never did have enough big toe-to-toe engagements between the big ships. Which is a shame, because they were highlights when they did occur. Perhaps that’s called “pacing” or something. TV needs that, rather than transmitting 40-minutes of continuous battleship thrashing. That’s videogames’ job…

They should totally have tied this into Black Prophecy itself, EVE/Dust-style, and had the factional conquest stuff that takes place here be reflected in how things are run and governed in the main MMO, giving advantages to different factions and so on. Okay, I don’t really know enough about BP to really say if that would work at the high level, but it’s worth a thought, eh?

Speaking of space, have you seen these amazing images?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Redsplinter says:

Looks good.

IN SPACE!!!

2. JerreyRough says:

Them rainbow planets.

3. aircool says:

Someone looks to have sat on the Battlestar Galactica.

4. rektide says:

Brings to mind the not unsimilarly titled and freaking grand Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

• Hensler says:

I believe this is the game that started out as a sequel to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (which was indeed freaking grand).

Gap Gen says:

Huh, I did like that game. Scratched a tactical space game itch that nothing else really came near.

Writing sucked in that game, too.

• Solidstate89 says:

It really was an excellent game as far as the visuals and combat was concerned. The dialogue was…atrocious to put it lightly.

I still haven’t come across anything in recent memory that gives you that scale. I’ve been on a SoaSE: Rebellion kick, but it’s not the same thing obviously.

I still get goosebumps thinking of that final, ginormous battle for Earth. Man, what a rush that was.

• RegisteredUser says:

Got to the part where I started shooting at insect swarm ships. Realized that it just felt wrong to kind of be in this ship but only get to say “Yea, uh, FIRE! I guess. Then maybe go to one of four waypoints and repeat”.

Felt a bit restricted/imited, to be perfectly honest. The XP / upgrading / growing concept was intriguing though, but I never fully converted to the camp of total fan of the game.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Big capital ships pounding on each other is what I live for.

Much of my Unity tinkering is geared towards battleships the size of Watford engaging in space-biff. I look forward to learning more.

• Walsh says:

My dream game is a capital spaceship biff simulator, as far as you can simulate something that isn’t real. Like I want to be able to input a missile volley to overwhelm their countermeasures kind of thing, detailed damage modeling so I need to roll my ship to keep my guns in arc yet present fresh armor to their return fire. I seriously fantasize about it on long car trips. Something like Independence War but with bigger ships and something similar to the damage modeling in Klingon Academy where you could blow chunks off of ships and affect systems, etc.

• TychoCelchuuu says:

TorchShips lets you do the missile volley thing although the ships aren’t big enough to blow off parts.

• KDR_11k says:

Stratosphere: Conquest of the Skies came close back in the day, those flying fortresses were basically capital ships. Since every structure was destructible you had to think about how your fort would fall apart under fire and the addition of huge metal spikes made melee combat an option too (basically ramming your spikes into their soft bits while making their spikes blunt against your armor). Someone really needs to make a new game like that.

• VFRHawk says:

Would love to see an action based game based around the Honor Harrington novels. That sounds like it’d be pretty much exactly what you just described….

EDIT: Was a reply to Walsh above…

• MadMatty says:

played Games Workshop´s tabletop Capital Spaceship game, “Battlefleet Gothic” which was great- it had armour values and firing arcs, launching waves of fighters etc. You could tie it to your Warhammer 40k games aswell, but we never got around to it. Think its out of production atm, but could be wrong.

6. squareking says:

Ahh, the internet. Where you can find videos of long sequences of _______ pounding each other.

7. Shortwave says:

I was playing this yesterday but of course, theres a lot of bugs to work out.
    I couldn’t even get it to the right resolution.. But I’ll get back to it soon. It -seems- like it has a lot of potential.

I’m actually playing Black Prophecy right now a lot and I LOVE IT.
    Next to the Wing Commander remake it’s my favorite so far out of all Space Sims.
    Really intense and easy to pick up but still pretty sim feeling, without being boring ever..
    I really suggest anyone play it. : ) I’m sure the RTS take is going to eventually be just as good.

8. matrices says:

‘Nexus Conflict’ is not a coherent title for anything. What’s up with making up a compound noun?

9. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I miss scary voiceover dude (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/03/31/voiceover-dude-is-scaring-me-black-prophecy/#more-9720). It’s the only thing which comes to mind when I hear of Black Prophecy. Well, that and spaceships.

10. Majikkan says:

Does anyone actually see anywhere to register for beta? It looks like it’s a closed, in progress beta and it’s too late to sign up.

• Sisco says:

Been a while sinced I signed up, but as far as I remember, you simply have to register an account with their website linked in the article and then you get chosen if you´re lucky.