Open For Business: Gateways Out Now

By Adam Smith on June 22nd, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

If I’ve played just enough of the ingenious Gateways to know one thing; if I play much more my brain will end being the shape of a pretzel. It’s the game that John raved about while describing time travel conundrums so defiantly opposed to the natural flow of reality that even reading about them made me feel less like a professor of puzzles and more like a hobo of the brainsphere. A cerebum, if you will. As of today, the game is available to buy at the official website for $9.99 (there’s also a demo). I’m going to step back in because it’s the first puzzle game since SpaceChem that I’ve felt justifies the mind-knots that I’ll spend the morning after unpicking.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dominic White says:

My Paypal account is regrettably bare until the start of next month, but I’m jumping on this like a starving wolf once some money rolls into place. Been wanting this for a while, and as the site I write for has already got someone doing a review, I can’t (in good conscience) mooch a second review copy off the developer.

2. Soon says:

Also been looking forward to this. Done with good-but-somewhat-disappointing DROD 4. Now for some science!

3. Bhazor says:

Like Quantum Conundrum I find it kind of sad that its riding so much on Portal. Like QC the mechanics really are good enough to stand on its own but by referencing Portal it feels like its trying to compete with it.

I really really hope the next big platform puzzler manages to get away from the “mad scientist’s experiments gone wrong” framing device. It’s seems to be becoming the indie version of chest high walls.

• ArcaneSaint says:

“experiment gone wrong” has been around a lot longer than Portal you know. Heck, Half-Life 1 is about a science experiment gone wrong. Even outside of video games the “science gone horribly, horribly wrong” is often used as a plot framing device (lots of monster/horror movies for example, or books).

Not that I disagree with you on the overused part, but it certainly isn’t restricted to simply indie games that are using it a lot. Examples of (fairly) recent non-indie games using the science gone wrong trope: Deus Ex: Human Revolution (not just as a framing device, it was the very core of the plot), Doom 3 as well (portal technology unleashes hell), Mass Effect had some examples as well,and I’m pretty certain there are a lot more but all this time I spent studying my finals seems to have had an adverse effect on my memory as I can’t come up with any names.

G-Lord says:

Great, just finished the briliant Adventures of Shuggy a few days ago and I can’t wait to play more from the same developers.

5. Malk_Content says:

For anyone who has grabbed it how do the controls feel? I abhorred them in the long time ago demo, so much so that I couldn’t enjoy the puzzling. If they’ve changed those I’ll happily grab it.

Jackablade says:

Controls felt fine to me. I’ve go not idea what they used to be like, but I had no issues traversing the levels.

• Malk_Content says:

The last time I played was March I think, whenever the first articles started coming up on RPS. The control scheme then was that instead of using the mouse like a mouse (i.e as a pointer so you could point at what you wanted so long as the character has LOS) it acted as a bizarre jumpy control wheel that wouldn’t let you scroll over the characters head. Some people might not mind it but it just made me feel a bit sick.

Jackablade says:

I just loaded it up again to double check. There’s no restriction of which way you’re pointing your arm. You have a mouse pointer and the arm will point towards where ever it resides. You can also press R to temporarily move the camera to where your portal gun is contacting the wall.

The whole thing feels well thought out and polished.

mrwonko says:

According to a comment on the previous article on Gateways, it’s been reworked since the demo.

• Malk_Content says:

Huzzah, this means the game has now gone from, “never ever” to “when I have less games on my plate.”

6. subshell001 says:

I have been desperately trying to get this to work with Wine / Wineskin but with no luck. I hate using Parallels or Boot Camp. I really just hate Windows. Anyway, has anyone tried and been successful to get this running in wine/cider?