Skyjacker Shoots Space Up To Bits

By John Walker on June 22nd, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW!

Skyjacker has been a regular appearance in the Kickstarter Katchup – the new regular post that’s taken the nation by storm. The free-roaming space combat game has had one aborted attempt to raise its cash, but is back with a far more concerted and concentrated effort, and a much more realistic chance of reaching its goal. And I think that’ll be an even more realistic chance once you’ve watched the videos below. Crikey.

I mean, sure, this one is just a video of a bunch of ships flying in a straight line, but coo, it looks lovely.

But this one shows the game being played:

You play as the lone human in the galaxy, completing quests and fighting space in the order you choose. They say,

“There is no fixed path. You bid on the jobs you want, and if you screw up, the game doesn’t end. When you succeed, you grow in prestige and power; you’ll start to receive exclusive proposals and rewards, customize your ship with high-grade parts that fit your style, and build up a crew of dangerous, hopefully-loyal wingmen. And as you become strong, remember one thing: you’re a pirate. With great power comes no responsibility.”

They’re currently at just shy of $67,000 of their $200,000 goal, but there’s a full month still to go. Of course, usual disclaimer: we’ve not played it, and as such do not endorse it. But from what I’ve seen, I sure want to have a play.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. oceanview says:

Whenever I read about these games I just get sad that there will never be an Elite 4. Nothing has surpassed elite 2 frontier in my book and that game is 19 years old.

2. Veav says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YST5RQCDsHo – another bunch of Skyjacker ships flying in a straight line, from a different alien race. There are eight varieties like this (not including the one-offs, spore-infested space stations, etc.) and you can mix-and-match their parts in the hangar.

• jezcentral says:

This is slightly better, in that, at least, it has one shot where the ships seem to be moving, rather than just hanging there while a camera flies about.

3. roryok says:

yay, more space games

• Makariel says:

there is always space for games.

• roryok says:

and why not? the levels of fun that can be had are just astronomical

• Fumarole says:

I’m glad more space games are underway thanks to Kickstarter’s meteoric rise in popularity.

• TariqOne says:

Though this title looks too fluffy and lightweight for my tastes. I’d prefer something a bit meatier.

Er, meteor.

• Fuzzball says:

They were certainly reaching for the stars with their first goal.

• Clean3d says:

Their Kickstarter says probably no Linux version thanks to Unity, but now that Unity 4 has Linux support I hope they can planet.

4. Jayson82 says:

I remember people complaining once that there was no more space games beening made anymore, as someone who likes space games i#m happy with the sudden resurgence of these games.

All we need now are more large ship games like nexus rather than small fighter type games.

5. mouton says:

Why do space people keep building slow squishy cargo ships when a single fighter can take them all out, ehh

• Veav says:

Stormtrooper armor! Actually the enemies were nerfed in that video (and in the concept demo). More fun to watch when they go splat. Things are going to be tougher in the game, and a patch is in the works to rebalance the demo – re-enabling AI, better armor and weaker weapons, etc.

6. Knightley4 says:

Is there any space game that allow visually exploring the ship interior?

• SanguineAngel says:

The new X game: Albion should be doing that.

To clarify – NOT X3 albion prelude which is out now but the brand new game they are currently developing

• AmateurScience says:

X-Rebirth. That seems to have gone very quiet indeed considering they were aiming at April ’12 for release initially. I hope it’s good.

• SanguineAngel says:

That’s the fella! Thanks. Yes I had noticed a lack of details. fingers crossed!

• AmateurScience says:

Like a first person FTL? I wish. That is the game I would make if I could make games (we all have one). Alas I cannae do it.

• Veav says:

There’s a game on Desura called Ensign-1 that lets you wander around – I think this is closest to what you’re looking for. It’s a one-man project in beta though so it’s not finished or polished. Battlefront 2 did but wasn’t really a “space game”, just a game with space sections, and uhh FTL does if you like roguelikes.

• Bobka says:

Blockade Runner is Minecraft with spaceships instead of nature, so you not only walk around the interior, but build it yourself. Then again, the graphics are what you’d expect, so depends on what you’re looking for.

• Harlander says:

You walk around ships that you’ve designed yourself in Shores of Hazeron, too.

Although, by walk I really mean struggle laggily at the moment.

• diamondmx says:

0x10c does, when it’s done.

7. Hoaxfish says:

Slightly off-putting amount of HUD all over the screen, but I guess it’s a complexity you can’t avoid in this sort of game.

• Veav says:

Somewhat yes but the HUD is a work in progress. The final product will be more reactive, doing things like dimming itself when the environment is dark, so it’s not as omnipresent as before.

• Fumarole says:

I find the HUD gorgeous in the screenie above.

8. Jimbo says:

Backerised. Looks spacesome.

9. Lambchops says:

I really, really wanted to Kickstart a space combat game. But with every pitch I saw there was just something that made me doubt the projecct for one reason or other.

Needless to say, trying and failing already is going to add itself to that list of reasons. But if the game does get released and turns out to be brilliant I’ll have no problem paying full whack for it.

• Veav says:

Sure, it failed once for a number of reasons; those reasons were corrected with the help of backer feedback, it’s been relaunched, and we’ve had nothing but praise for the changes. Hopefully our present pitch will sway you to our side. :D

• Lambchops says:

It’s certainly looking better than I remember the last one to be!

I might have a quick goof around with the Alpha to get a feel for it. Certainly I’m intrigued by ability to change up the style of play to more/less arcadey (because to be honest I always preferred an arcade like dogfight to a painstaiking simulation!).

• Veav says:

You won’t be able to get away with this in the full game, but in the demo, VBNM keys swap between flight models so you can try them all out. The moar you know!

10. aircool says:

Isn’t that the spaceship from ‘Moon Cresta’ in the picture?

11. danimalkingdom says:

There was that elite-style game set in the Babylon 5 universe that sounded rad. I think it was called Delta Wing, but it was never finished and I can’t find any info on it now. But it was going to be set in just one system, which seemed cool…

12. andyhavens says:

One of Derek Whats-His-Names Epic Unplayable Epics featured the ability to walk from one part of the ship to another. I believe the feature was called, “The Hallway Strolling While Trying Desperately to Engage a Simple Feature From Another Station Simulator.”*

Seriously? First-person running around in a ship when the game is about space combat? I mean, if there were boarding parties and stuff… sure. The Star Wars Battlefront games did a great job of taking you out of your fighter/bomber, and then having you run around blowing shite up on a capital ship. That was super cool. Fight your way to the big mambajamba cruiser, land on top of enemy pilots, jump out, blast a bunch of droids, find the shield generator room, blow it up, get back out and… hey! The shields on the ship are down! Nice.

But if the game is only about ship-to-ship combat, FP wandering seems a bit… iffy.

* I understand that posting anything negative about a Derek S____ game invites His Very Presence to flame/shame me into oblivion. This is why I’m being subtle.

13. BathroomCitizen says:

The music in the 2nd trailer is made of awesome!

• Veav says:

Glad you like! It’s from the Russian band Aquarium. We reached out to see if they minded our using the song and ended up with personal approval from the founder, which we are super stoked about. Now we’re waiting to talk to their promoter/agent types about getting their music in the game too. :D

14. fiendling says:

Looks great… backed!

15. squareking says:

Unmistakably Russian! I love it. edit: One look at the KS page and backed it.

16. DrZhark says:

A question for Veav:
    Looking at the second video, It gives me the feel that inertia is not really well implemented. I can see the ship can reverse the course quite easily without taking into account the acceleration and vector, is this going to be improved? Of course we don’t need it to be a simulation as those type of machines do not exist, but improving the intertia feel more like X-wing and Tie Fighter and less like Wing commander, where the physics sucked.

• Veav says:

Skyjacker does something that makes physics cry – your flight model is based on the parts you have mounted. You’re seeing the arcade model, but you can mount wings that grant you a full inertia rocket model (or a helicopter model, or an airplane model). This isn’t just a sop to player preference; you’ll want a helicopter mode for a close-quarters asteroid field, but for a mission with a lot of open space, the rocket model is going to come in handy. Not required to start the mission, just handy. So there will definitely be a stricter implementation of inertia available. (One of the items on our Grand Idea Pile is a game setting that enforces a consistent flight model for all ships, but this is how it works by default.)

17. frenz0rz says:

Blimey, that doesnt look half bad. It has the appearance of a strange cross between Space Rangers 2 and (aesthetically) Darkstar One.

• MrStones says:

Hmm I thought the same but with a distinct “Freespace 2″ smell to the entire thing. Couldn’t be happier :)

• Dreforian says:

Darkstar One is like Freespacelancer lite, so that tracks with me. Never looked at Space Rangers before…(goes off to youtube it)

18. Lokai says:

Hey John, how come no mention of the demo that they have for the game already? You have your little disclaimer it there, but you could have tried it. The demo is about halfway, if not a little less, down the Kickstarter page. Try the demo people!

• Veav says:

It’s a concept demo, so it’s not a fair representation of the final product. It’s cool, I understand his position. That said yes everyone try the demo! :D

19. Ankheg says:

Oh. “Aquarium” song in a game about cosmos. I must be dreaming :D

20. cassus says:

This game is faaaaaar too saturated. This is what space looks like to pink unicorns.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the odd colourful nebula here and there, but this is just crazy. Doesn’t even look anything like space.. Too far!

21. Crius says:

The kickstarter isn’t going very well.
    RPS will provide some coverage?