Bwah? Valve Teams Up With Adult Swim

By Nathan Grayson on June 23rd, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

This image is probably unrelated, but I just really wanted to use it because it's perfect in all ways.

Ready for something to come out of nowhere and hit you right in the nose? OK, here it comes. Get ready, brace yourself, and… it still hit you. Because that’s how things that defy the law of conservation of energy to suddenly materialize on our plane of existence work. I believe a more succinct term for it is “surprise.” Anyway! Turns out, it’s an announcement – as things we report on often are. Something Valve-related is making its way to famed purveyor of cartoons with curse words, Adult Swim. But what could it be? WHAT?

The full (yet sadly brief) proclamation exclaims the following: ”Adult Swim and Valve are teaming up for something that you’ll probably enjoy. To learn how their videogame peanut butter will be getting in our network’s chocolate, come back next week.”

I’ll eat Team Fortress’ entire collection of user-made hats if it doesn’t turn out to be, well, TF2-related – given the splash image and the hash tag. So that part’s obvious, but Valve may have dropped a hint about specifics over on TF2′s blog. Specifically, a new post by the Pyro excitedly states “Mmmmph mmmmph, mmmmm mmmmmp mmmmmph. Mmmmmph mpm! Mmmmmph mph mm! Hm mmmmmph, hmmmmph mm mmmmmph mmmmmph!” Yes, it actually says that.

The world, of course, is still waiting on a Meet The Pyro video, so maybe it’s debuting on Adult Swim? Or maybe it’s just the start of a much, much larger Team-Fortress-themed team up. Personally, I’m hoping for a Saxton Hale action block. 64 pages of gorilla stabbing? No thanks. I’ll take 64 hours. Looks like we’ll find out next week, though. Because the weekend is no time for details. It is for frolicking and resting and swimming. With adults.

, , .

1. soldant says:

I have it on good authority that a gorilla will die on every minute of footage.

2. LionsPhil says:

That sound you can hear is the Internet requiring new pants.

3. F. Lynx Pardinus says:

I’m curious whether this will tie into the Steam Summer Sale.

4. jellydonut says:

Considering that each Meet the Team short takes them several years, I’m not sure if Valve can actually produce a CGI show..

Rinox says:

I think the question with Valve is more whether they want to do it, rather than if they can.

• Dana says:

But “Meet the” don’t have a dedicated team. People do it in their spare time.

Jackablade says:

I’d suspect they’ll license it out to another team.

We know Valve have been developing their real time animation suite using the Meet the Team shorts and a few other bits and pieces to hone it. Now with the release of the final one I’d suggest they’re ready to put it on the market. They’ve already licensed it to that guy who directed 9. What better way to promote it further and get interested parties from other areas of the animation industry than with a popular TV animated series.

• Xzi says:

Sorry to burst everyone’s collective bubble, but the Adult Swim twitter feed announced that this promotion has nothing to do with a new show.

Jackablade says:

Well that’s confusing. What else could it all be about then?

• egg651 says:

They could, but they’d never get passed episode 2.

• Aklyon says:

All of the episodes would be in decimal
        Ep 1, Ep 1.1 instead of two, Up to Ep 2.9, which would be about 20 episodes. THen Valve would need to use letters instead to designate episodes.

• MikoSquiz says:

Would that not be the part of the reason for the Adult Swim hookup? They’re swimming in connections to people who make cartoons on a regular basis for a living.

5. Veon says:

That post by the Pyro is actually morse code and translates into Monday. It’s part of the Valve ARG that’s been going on I think, with the whole bananas and QR codes. It’s all over the TF2 subreddit on reddit.

6. yutt says:

For the record, “Mmmmph mmmmph, mmmmm mmmmmp mmmmmph. Mmmmmph mpm! Mmmmmph mph mm! Hm mmmmmph, hmmmmph mm mmmmmph mmmmmph!” has been translated to “Monday” in Morse code.

– — -. -.. .- -.–
    M O N D A Y

• Dozer says:

MY MIND IT IS BLOWN

Also I know Morse. Why didn’t I think of that (in the fifteen second gap between reading the article and reading your comment.)

jrodman says:

Is there a song involved extolling the virtues?

Luringen says:

There is a TF2 ARG going on…

• IncredibleBulk92 says:

A what?

• subedii says:

ARG = Alternate Reality Game

Basically it’s a term used for what could be called a “meta” game, something that extends beyond the direct confines and context of the game itself

A recent example would be things like the whole Portal 2 “Potato” event, where all sorts of real-world and in-game shenigans all started to link up on the theme of potatoes, leading up to Portal 2′s release.

BubuIIC says:

Brilliant! Thank you!

• Fuzzball says:

Subedii, you clearly didn’t follow the link.

• Kollega says:

You know what? Two or three years back i would’ve jumped at a TF2 ARG or a possibility of TF2 cartoon series, but now i don’t even care anymore.

What i can’t believe is that it’s been more than two years already.

8. Vinraith says:

Is there any company that’s been as successful as Valve at getting people to want to watch their ads?

• zeroskill says:

Why that huge sad face

• subedii says:

Considering that I’ve wanted to / have watched all the TF2 shorts and haven’t spent a penny since the Orange Box, their ad campaign royally sucks.

EDIT: Or to put it another way, are there any game trailers or demos or anything else that aren’t ads?

I mean I suspect the Halo 3 beta got a heck of a lot more interest than whatever is happening here right now.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I would go with music videos. They used to have a whole tv station devoted to it. With other ads in between!

golem09 says:

TF2 – The Cartoon Show?

10. The Least Fun Human Being On Earth says:

Saxton Hale as Brock Samson?

• Blob-World-Eye-Weary says:

Rather see Saxton Hale vs Brock Samson, that i’ll be fun.

DrEnzyme says:

It’d probably be a perfect draw. The concept of either one of them losing just seems… Unthinkable.

• Vinraith says:

Developed character vs. advertising mascot, my money’s on Sampson.

11. fuggles says:

Meet the pyro will be a flash animation – probably hilarious, but crappy compared to the others by virtue of not being lavish cgi.

12. Magnusm1 says:

HIPPIEFACE

13. Koozer says:

…what’s Adult Swim?

• SkittleDiddler says:

You poor, poor man.

Or woman. You poor, poor, woman.

• soundofvictory says:

Adult Swim is a late-night programming block on the American cable network channel Cartoon Network. Generally it features less child-friendly and bizarre programming. I don’t know anything about its broadcast outside of the states, although I do know it is wildly popular among the 15-30 age range over here.

• thestage says:

a bunch of really bad shit

• RakeShark says:

It used to be good shit. Dunno how the shit is now. They say good shit. Classify it as a maybe.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I know Aqua Teen Whatever It’s Called Now is still on. That’s always been a favorite of mine.

What about Squidbillies? I was honestly surprised by how top-notch that one is, but is it still running?

For the most part, you’re absolutely right though. Most of the shows on Adult Swim range from middling to absolutely atrociously bad.

Oops, meant to reply to Nick.

• wu wei says:

Squidbillies is supposed to have its seventh season sometime this year.

I really think Adult Swim’s output has been more gold than dross, though: Venture Bros, Moral Orel/Mary Shelley’s Frankenhole, The Boondocks, Metalocalypse, Childrens Hospital… they’ve had some great shows we would never have seen elsewhere.

• RegisteredUser says:

I’ve seen Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Metalocalypse and Squidbillies.

Not one of those had any level of humour or sophistication to it(and I watch Family Guy and Ugly Americans) and I can’t understand that they’re touted to be so great and/or even hilarious.
            They just work on a lower level of hurr hurr than would still be able to give me giggles.
            It goes much more into groanworthy territory, and is a more “Oh. That kind of humor” thing that just doesn’t work for me.
            Which is a shame, because I don’t think adult cartoon humor has been exhaustively explored just yet..

• Nick says:

Some of it is great, most of it is awful.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

Adult Swim gave us Frisky Dingo, that alone makes it a wonderful thing to my mind.

14. robby5566 says:

I’m holding out hope that this is going to be an animated miniseries –
    Valve have expressed interest in making movies, but they would obviously want to build up. They said their Meet-The-X videos were practice, so it makes sense to me to take, say, Meet The Spy, but then inflate it to a 10 minute segment, and show it on Adult Swim. And then do a bunch more.
    So, lets hope, lets hope.

Thermal Ions says:

Anyone else get “Sorry, you can’t join Adult Swim at this time, but feel free to browse the rest of the site.” if you try to follow their recommendation to sign up to their newsletter?

16. misterT0AST says:

Speaking of Valve, it’s SPECULATION TIME AGAIN!
    lambda lambda lambda says the thumbnail description.

17. Runs With Foxes says:

I remember when Valve was a game development company.

• misterT0AST says:

To be honest I never played many Valve games.
      Portal was nice, but I actually liked the concept more than the actual game. Team Fortress 2 runs at 2 frames per second on my pc, Left 4 Dead is a very shallow experience, and I (heresy!) didn’t like Half Life 2 very much. Dota 2 might be the first thing they do that I’ll play more than 3 hours.
      Despite this I love everything they do BESIDES games.
      I love the Team Fortress videos and comics, I love the way they treat their employees and their customers, I love what they did with Steam, I love their sense of humor, their clever conundrums and clues, the way they support modding and modders.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

I can`t remember the last time Valve made a game.

• misterT0AST says:

They have been making at least 1 game every year since 2004, the only exception being 2010, when no games were released. One year ago Portal 2 was released. In a few months they will release Dota 2 and Counter Strike Global Offensive.

• JeepBarnett says:

We released Alien Swarm in 2010.

• LionsPhil says:

Now you’ve gone and reminded me that I need to try to get people to play Alien Swarm again.

• Phantoon says:

Jeep! Update your webpage! It is atrocious.

Also, what happened to Alien Swarm? It was a great game, then it kinda dropped off and no one played it anymore. I tried playing a game a couple months ago and the servers were dead.

• subedii says:

In my circle of friends? Generally people went back to playing Left 4 Dead.

Alien Swarm was awesome, but of course, it was just a single campaign, and on release, didn’t have much randomness to the enemy encounters. It didn’t have competitive play either. So all in all there wasn’t much to keep people hanging on except levelling up going through the same campaign over and over again.

I mean I levelled up once. Even tried the Prestige style ‘promotion’ thing just to see, but didn’t see the point in doing it more times.

I think if it had released back then with something equivalent to Portal 2′s Testing Initiative and Steam Workshop integration, it might have been a lot more popular for longer.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I always forget how prolific Valve is until I actually look at a list of all the games they release. Lots.

• RegisteredUser says:

I would play Alien Swarm with people in a heartbeat, but after an initial YAY the whole community died out in under 6 months and all map plans, mods and ideas died, too.

I never understood that, as it was a FREE CO-OP MULTIPLAYER and wasn’t even pay2win, unlock stuff via pay or anything. It was actually, genuinely free to play. And yet everyone jumped ship after the blink of an internet eye.

• RegisteredUser says:

I actually enjoyed various L4D2 campaign playthroughs more than Half-Life 1 and 2.
        Mostly because the guns, sounds, aiming and overall feel as a shooter was crap in HL.
        And L4D2, unlike the first one, felt a bit more involved and “done” and with the right teammates had a good mix of tense moments overcome with teamwork vs frustration.
        And always that tilting slop balance of “almost too easy, snore” and “oh crap, ONE mistake and then this!!”.
        Of course even that gets old, but its something I actually wanted to play through several times, unlikes the Half-Lifes that everyone gets their pants wet over.
        Which I never understood. DOOM 1 is still ten thousand times more precious to me than both of those.
        Put it on a tip: One shot of the DOOM 1 shotgun was / felt more satisfying than any moment I had in the HLs.

• Screamer says:

I agree, can we please ignore everything Valve is doing until HL3 is released RPS? They really shouldn’t be doing anything else…

18. AlwaysRight says:

Aqua Team Hunger Fortress?

…ah-thank you.

19. MythArcana says:

Makes sense to me. Valve + Cartoons = Moar Kidz.

Marketing at its finest level.

• zeroskill says:

You don’t seem to know what Adult Swim is.

Let me help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_Swim

Maybe you want to take the time and read the wikipedia entry so next time you at least get your facts right.

Your suggestion is even more baffeling since it would make little sense for Valve to explicitly target “kidz” as you claim, since the major target audience are people in the range of 20, maybe 25 to 35 who buy games on Steam.

Keymonk says:

It’s extra funny because there’s ‘Adult’ in the name.

• Mad Hamish says:

Maybe, like me, he considers anyone under about 23/24 to be a kid. I don’t think I’ve ever met a 21 year old adult. I would be worried about any adult that buys into Valves ARG nonsense and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was all part of it. They’re pretty masterful with their publicity and their ability to manipulate their audience.

• subedii says:

It’s alright, you can stop worrying about me and my following this. I’m sure you’ve got more important things to do with your adult life. Although of course, one wonders at that attitude when you’re posting comments to a site about videogames on an article that’s headlined with “Bwah?” and a butch cartoon Australian man.

And frankly, if you’re talking maturity, I’ve met plenty of people 20 years old that are mature. Not as many in this country admittedly.

• Mad Hamish says:

There’s nothing wrong with games or RPS. I just think it’s silly getting sucked into a marketing campaign designed to flog you products. People went nuts for that potato shite. I’m not talking maturity though, where I’m from we’d call it “having a bit of cop on”. But I guess I’m just a bit too optimistic in thinking adults should be past buying into cynical corporate advertising.

• zeroskill says:

@Mad Hamish:

Your life must be pretty sad if you are so dedicated to ruin the little bit of fun people have when two of their favorite leisure time things come together.

Also: It seems some people really have to go a long way these days to be able to throw dirt at Valve.. That is a good sign.

Try watching some Adult Swim shows, it might cheer you up.

• subedii says:

There’s nothing wrong with games or RPS.

I don’t find anything wrong with them either. And I also enjoy Valve’s TF2 shorts, so the prospect for something more along those lines definitely has me interested.

Could be something else. Who cares? The idea is enough to get me interested.

Yes they want to make money off of it, and that’s “corporate”, and that’s “marketing”. So what? Pretty much the vast majority of games news is corporate marketing, press releases, demos, the whole deal.

We just choose what we think looks interesting to us. I’ll happily watch a trailer for the new XCOM and say “I want to try that”, or read an article about the new Company of Heroes and get excited about the changes they’re going to make. I don’t see why this should be particularly different.

• Xzi says:

“a marketing campaign designed to flog you products.”

Have you participated in any Steam sale ever? I’m absolutely fine with getting flogged quality products (games) that I want to play at a price of $10 or less. And Team Fortress 2, which is in some way involved with this promotion, is among the best FPS games released in the last decade. I won’t say that Adult Swim airs some of the best programming released in the last decade, but I do enjoy a number of their shows.

I think it’s perfectly normal to have a cynical attitude about any marketing campaign these days, as we are bombarded by advertisement no matter which direction we turn, to the point of being ineffectual. But hey, in the case of a gaming company that a lot people love teaming up with a broadcast network that a lot of people love, I say let those people enjoy the rarity of such a thing. You can always ignore the whole shebang like any other advertisement if you don’t like the idea. I certainly wouldn’t pass judgment on another’s maturity level over it, though.

• Mad Hamish says:

Ah the old “your life must be pretty sad” retort. Zeroskill, make an attempt next time would ya. I’ve seen plenty of adult swim. Animation has taken up a large chuck of my life, I see plenty cartoons.

I don’t even know why I’m even attempting to criticise Valve on the internet. There’s plenty reasons to praise Valve for their practices but I don’t see why they should make them immune to criticism. I’ve already been accused of being determined to spoil everyone’s fun.

• zeroskill says:

There is a big difference between critique and throwing dirt. What you are doing is throwing dirt. You don’t offer anything beyond that. Thankfully Valve is very open to real critique and it happens where it mathers, and where the right people a listening to competent criticism.

However what you are doing is just poorly trying to cover your dirt throwing as “critique”.

• RegisteredUser says:

20. Skabooga says:

Also on that blog post, there is a “coming in 2012″ picture on the right which links to the movies section, and that picture is of the Pyro getting his flame on. COINCIDENCE?

• JerreyRough says:

Oh you. That’s been there a long, long time. Last-year long.

21. Solidstate89 says:

So first Adult Swim brings back Toonami and now they’re teaming up with Valve? Just when I thought I couldn’t love Adult swim any more than I already do…

piratmonkey says:

Hooray!

23. pipman3000 says:

they’ll probably get tired of making it by episode #3.

24. frightlever says:

Adult Swim are smart, so this will be smart. I kinda like their stuff, but it’s not must have.

You know, must have.

Oh, you know.

25. subedii says:

Reply fail

26. Xzi says:

BTW, my initial reaction upon hearing of this cross-promotion:

27. bill says:

Adult Swim is one of those annoying America-only things that you keep hearing about on the Internet, but actually most people around the world have no idea about, right?

Or is it actually something that’s available in the UK (or other less important countries) these days?

Now I just keep imagining how the USA (And other more important countries) would react if a globally recognized company like Valve teamed up with Worzel Gummidge* and proudly announced it on the internet.

*sorry, i’m a bit out of touch with UK tv and can’t think of an equivalent to Adult swim. As i don’t really know what it is. Maybe i should have gone with Fingermouse.

Vandelay says:

Adult Swim is on in the UK, although I can’t remember which channel it is on. I recall watching some of the shows with Uni flat mates and being completed bemused by what was going on. Think we decided that you had to be high to understand it. After the initial WTF moment, it all just seemed to be absurd and crude for the sake of it, much like most things that call themselves “Adult.”

• pipman3000 says:

you had to be high to understand it

This

• Xzi says:

Depends on which show you’re talking about in particular. I mean, they do reruns of Seth MacFarlane shows (Family Guy, American Dad) which most people are familiar with and aren’t all that wacky. By comparison anyway.

OTOH they have original shows like Tim and Eric, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and Robot Chicken in which there isn’t really anything to “understand,” even if you are high. They don’t have cohesive storylines, but rather just attempt to deliver joke after joke with no filler.

Metalocalypse is probably my favorite original show that they run.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Most of adult swim is total crap, but Venture Bros is one of the smartest shows on TV.

Unfortunately, it takes them almost 3 years to make a season. They also run on Valve time, apparently.

• zeroskill says:

Yes Venture Brothers is an fantastic series. I also loved Sealab.

Jackablade says:

Whatever is happening has started happening:
    Starting with a new game mode…