Shock: Assassin’s Creed III Probably Delayed On PC?

By Nathan Grayson on June 23rd, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Now this, this would be a better way to handle piracy.
Once upon a time, I believed the dreaded Ubidelay was finally sharing a suffocatingly packed grave with the publisher’s other incredibly misguided ideas about how PC releases should work. After all, Far Cry 3′s bucking the trend, so I was allowed to hope, right? But alas, Eurogamer‘s uncovered some rather convincing evidence to the contrary, at least, in the case of Assassin’s Creed III. Specifically, our blue, platform-agnostic cousin got its hands on a promotional image that prominently states “PC version out on 23rd November 2012.” That puts Connor’s eagle-scream haystack dive onto our hard drives roughly a month after the console versions. Boo.

For now, Ubisoft’s playing coy. When reached for comment, it refused to commit to anything, but it also definitely didn’t say “no.” Instead, a rep merely stated that “the Windows PC release date is still to be announced.” Which doesn’t bode well, considering that it would’ve caused much less of a fuss if Ubisoft just said, “No, it’s launching day-and-date with the console versions.” Unfortunately, no such  voice of reason rang out.

So now we wait, I suppose – both for official word from Ubisoft and for, well, the game. And in the meantime, we wonder why – because, on the list of ways one could potentially curb piracy, this may actually be the most backward and counter-productive. But it keeps happening, because oops I just sighed until my lungs collapsed and now I’m dead.

, .

1. Alexrd says:

I really don’t understand the hurry. As long as it’s better, fine by me. I used to be thankful that the PC version of multiplatform games arrived half a year later because it came either well optimized, and/or with all the bonuses (DLC, expansions, etc) making the PC version the best and most complete of them all.

Either way, in this case I’ll wait for the DRM-free version when it arrives on GOG.

• Njordsk says:

*edited*

I misread your post. Anyway I think it’s more about not hurting console sales than anything.

• TheMusingMoose says:

The delay for Max Payne 3 was definitely to make it better. We can hope that Ubisoft follows Rockstar’s lead.

• povu says:

The huge delay for GTA 4 on the other hand got us a crappy PC port with GFWL and Rockstar Social Club. But I heard Max Payne 3′s PC port was great, yeah, aside from using Social Club as well.

• Delusibeta says:

I’d wager getting out of the way of Diablo 3 was more important.

• Universal Quitter says:

I don’t know if you’ve played very many Ubi ports recently, but they often come late AND with crippling launch day flaws.

• Alexrd says:

The last game I have bought from Ubisoft is Rayman Origins which I can’t complain about. And the only Assassin’s Creed game I have is the first one, whose PC version (properly called Director’s Cut) came with higher resolution textures and 4 new mission modes when compared to the console version.

Would I rather prefer that the PC version had come out without all of that? No, I’m thankful for the delay.

• Xerian says:

… But it was also out 6 and a half months later than the console version.

2. TheMusingMoose says:

It could be worse, AssCreed 2 had an almost 3 month delay…

• Creeping Death says:

The original had a 6 month wait so yea, by Ubisoft’s standard this is nothing.

3. Hisui says:

Sure, it probably makes no sense and there’s no real justification for it, but delayed PC release dates announced and discussed at length really often… are they really such a big deal?

• lordfrikk says:

The correct question would be why is releasing things simultaneously (or at least near simultaneously) for all target platforms such a big deal?

4. RegisteredUser says:

Surely this will be because we get more maps, higher resolution textures, optimized DX11 pipelines and features and an extra layer of bug-free polish that any PC game should provide.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Or, y`know, because Ubisoft doesn`t really give a fuck about consumers anymore. I`ll be pleasantly surprised if it has any of the things you listed above.

• povu says:

Aside from lacking support for 9 weapon hotkeys in all AC games for no good reason at all, Ubisoft’s PC ports for Assassin’s Creed have been pretty solid.

• ImOnTheRadio says:

I think you just broke my sarcasm detector

5. mseifullah says:

Revolutionary Warface

6. RandomEsa says:

So why would I want to buy the pc version again?

Goddamn ubisoft. I want to buy your games because they’re pretty good, but what with the always-online drm, bad pc-ports and shunning pc-gamers policy. I just can’t support that.

I do have a ps3 but there is no way I’m going to give them any of my money.

7. c4llum says:

i’m trying to let go of my pearls but i can”t stop clutching them. The shock is simply too much.

8. magnus says:

Well my answer is of course to post this link again; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qro7oBzUBos

9. Jimbo says:

1. There won’t be a significant amount of fuss about this.
    2. How is this the most backward and counter-productive way to curb piracy?

• Kadayi says:

^This.

If people were planning on getting it on PC anyway then a month delay is hardly going to shake their resolve. Also I’d quite like Mr Grayson to perhaps elaborate on why delaying the PC release is seemingly the most backward way to tackle the issue of day 1 piracy. I’d of thought not having a crackable PC version out there in torrent land when the game first releases was actually pretty good way of curbing day 1 piracy myself. Or are we now to assume that PC gamers are now more likely to pirate Assassins creed III when the game when it is available in order to ‘punish’ Ubisoft for having the temerity to delay in the first place? Also I love the fact that with any form of delay has to be seen as a case of salacious conspiracy on the part of a publisher/developer and can’t instead be regarded as a case of the developers attempting to finalize/optimise the game for the most troublesome of platforms, namely the PC with it’s myriad hardware skews.

• mouton says:

I am not Grayson and I am not a console user, but I did hear from multiple sources, that console piracy tends to be faster and easier than PC piracy nowadays. Did I hear wrong?

• Kadayi says:

Hear or know?

• mouton says:

Well, no one could possibly have complete knowledge anyway. Even someone with extensive console piracy experience would be statistically unreliable.

But, as a typical habitual user of the internets, I do exchange information with lots of other people. I always thought that console piracy was small to nonexistant. To my surprise, practically everyone with whom I talked about the issue claimed the opposite. So, how is it in your experience?

• Delusibeta says:

Considering that a) 360 piracy is piss easy by console standards and that b) pretty much every game worth their salt gets its 360 version leaked a week in advance, I’d inclined to agree: if you want to pirate a game before the official release date, hacking a 360 is the way to go.

• Funso Banjo says:

“I want to play the game. But I don’t want to wait an extra month. So in annoyance I will be pirating it.”

Is a common to hear complaint and solution to their anger.

• Milky1985 says:

“2. How is this the most backward and counter-productive way to curb piracy?”

I think the reason is that publisher admit that the first couple of weeks are the most imposrtant in sales, they have had a big marketing push for the game, reviews are coming out (only the ones giving it good scores are allowed to release the reviews before the release date naturally) and no-ones played the game yet so theres excitment in the air.

Cut to 2 weeks later, the cracks start to appear if the game has any, the bad points of the game are exposed online, the advertising push slows down, the reivews that dislike the game (legit and/or just trolling for views/reads) are also out.

Cut to another 2 weeks, PC version is released, with likely no fanfair and maybe only a sidebar story on a news site (the “bigger” sites anyway , dedicated PC gaming places will make a big deal out of it). Now is the big bit, IF its universally praised and its good all over this will be ok, people will still be excited and play the game.

If it has cracks in teh shell, its buggy, plot generic etc etc then people will not be excited, the “day 1″ purchasers which are very important will not purchase (could have cancelled pre-orders). There is also the possibility that people will get the priate version “cause its not very good and not worth full price” because they have heard about the bad reviews.

Publishers complainn that piracy cuts the day 1 sales, but here they are doign it themselves by making it so there is no way to get a true PC day 1 sale. In fact its likely to increase PC piracy because of the length of time (and some people will think its an old game it was relesaed a month ago, i’ll just download it) between releases (but this is a imo, no stats to back this up)

Thats my 2 cents anyway

10. nimrod123 says:

the funnest thing is that they officl said it would release at the same time

• John Connor says:

I was waiting for someone to post this. That article is amazing in every way.

• Kadayi says:

That articles from March.

• wild_quinine says:

That article is absolutely classic and deserves some quotation from the bottom:

Gamespy:

And with that, I shall leave you with my closing conversation with Ubisoft PR regarding the release date, which has been officially announced as October 30th, 2012 for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

GameSpy: So when’s the PC release date?

Ubisoft PR: October 30th.

GameSpy: Yeah, but when’s the real PC release date?

Ubisoft PR: It’s October 30th.

GameSpy: Uh huh. And can you say that with a straight face?

Ubisoft PR: You can ask me as many times as you like, but the answer will be the same.

GameSpy: Very well, let’s move on. So, when will you announce the delay of the PC version?

Ubisoft PR: …

Radioactive Lobster (Comment at bottom):

Gamespy, to answer your last question. 6/22/12 is when they announced the delay of the PC version.

• Unaco says:

That’s pretty staggeringly awful of them (UBI), and quite prescient by Gamespy… although, maybe not so much. As “Ubisoft has pulled this same routine on every single AC game to date”. Still, pretty funny they (UBI) persist in insisting that there’ll be release parity between consoles and PC.

• subedii says:

That was hilarious. Well done to the author of that piece.

• Milky1985 says:

I’m saving that one, the section at the end was awesome

11. DickSocrates says:

I’m honestly dumfounded when people are surprised by news like this, think it’s to make it better and when they think they are going to get some kind of in game compensation.

It’s being delayed to help/not harm console sales, end of story.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I always wonder what it would be like if there weren’t any exclusives or delays and pc and consoles would be able to compete on a more even ground…

• oceanview says:

amen.

12. lordfrikk says:

Oh, what a surprise.

13. Buemba says:

Far Cry 3 will be delayed as well, you just watch. They won’t announce it and they won’t explain why, but a month or two before release some retailer will quietly change the date of the PC version and we’ll get yet another opportunity to act all outraged.

14. Iskariot says:

I do not mind the delay.
    I’ll have Borderlands 2, Farcry 3 and Dishonored to keep me very, very busy.
    That is… if they are not delayed as well.

• mouton says:

Or you could, you know, play one of the hundreds of games that you probably have in your steam backlog, heh heh

15. DK says:

Why the hell do you think Farcry 3 will not be delayed? It’s Ubisoft. It WILL be delayed – whatever they claim.

Ubisoft are lying Liars who do nothing but lie.

16. Shooop says:

It’ll give you time to play the other games that are actually good. See, they’re doing you a favor!

17. Etherealsteel says:

A multi-platform game being delayed for PC. I’m surprised you guys are at all surprised or up in arms about it. I can wait a month, after all I waited around for Batman: Arkham City to go down a reasonable price.

• kud13 says:

yes, that 50% off Steam sale mere weeks after PC release made GaWFL almost tolerable.

almost.

also +1 to only purchasing further Ubi titles DRM-free on GOG.

18. Milky1985 says:

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, now theres a pattern that seems to be followed, can’t they be hit with obtaining money (via pre-orders) by lying, isn’t that fraud? Since they have done this to every single game so far it shows a pattern which would be enough for police to invistigate if a person did this sort of thing :/