The RPS Bargain Bucket: Turbo Edition

By Lewie Procter on June 23rd, 2012 at 2:43 pm.

Have you been good boys and girls this week? Do you think you deserve a treat? Why not use your pocket money to purchase some of the many varied and delightful cheap bits of digital entertainment software that have been put on sale across the internet’s digital distribution retail outlets this fine weekend? As usual, in addition to my regular duties charting the best prices for games across all formats over at SavyGamer.co.uk, I’ve been sorting through the special offers on PC games to see which offers are the specialist, and thus deserve your attention. And look, here they are now:

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition – £6.40/€7.94/$9.99
This is from Amazon US, so you’ll need to use a US billing address to buy this.
I think Capcom might be just about done tinkering with Street Fighter 4 now, so it’s probably safe to buy it. SF4 was so successful that it kicked off the great fighting game renaissance of 2010-2012, where all the publishers raided the broom closet for their best fisticuffs IP to reboot or bring back from obscurity. I reckon Capcom have not done themselves any favours by releasing multiple iterations of the same game, since they’ve essentially trained people to wait for the Ultimate Tournament Turbo edition of all their games. They did the same back in the 90s, of course, but my Mega Drive didn’t support downloadable expansions like modern platforms do, so they had an excuse back then. SF4: Arcade Edition is quite good, by all accounts.

Avernum: The Second Trilogy, Hamilton’s Great Adventure, Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee, Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus & Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 – Pay What You Want (Minimum $4)
All of these register on Steam.
Not a bad little bundle here. Both the Oddworld games are a treat if you like beautiful sidescrolling cinematic platformers where you have a button to say hello and a button to do a naughty trump. I certainly do. There’s also Jeff Vogel’s latter three Avernum games, the first Red Orchestra and Hamilton’s Great Adventure. They’ll also chuck in a copy of Garshasp: The Monster Slayer if what you want to pay is $6 or more.

The Last Express – £1.53/€1.90/$2.39
Jordan Mechner’s rotoscoped adventure game is a bit of an oddity. Comrade Cobbett said this of it:

In case you never played it – and you didn’t – TLE was a really cool real-time adventure set on the Orient Express just before WW1. It had about six actual puzzles, but phenomenal attention to detail, and some really nice bits of design. For instance, if you had to avoid someone, you could just lock yourself in your room and wait for them to leave. It sold about four copies.

It doesn’t go on sale very often at all, I think I’ve only seen it for cheap once before, so snap it up now if you’re at all interested.

From Dust – £4.80/€5.99/$7.49
RPS coverage for this game is here. You’ll have to scroll down past lots of articles about all the bollocks surrounding the DRM nonsense Ubisoft included with the game, but that’s Ubisoft’s fault for including lots of DRM nonsense with the game. Probably their worst handled PC release in a long time. Still, now that the dust has settled, it’s totally worth checking out. Here’s Alec’s impressions from the version of it he played on a toy that he plugged into his television.

Deal of the week
Deus Ex. All of them.
You can either get the Deus Ex Collection for £9.99/€14.99/$14.99, or you can get any of the contents of said collection for individually discounted prices. Here’s me on why the original Deus Ex was one of the games that made me:

I had empathy for images generated on a computer screen, and was morally compelled to do ‘the right thing’. The beauty of it is that the game even forces you to question your idea of what ‘the right thing’ is. For me, it massively evolved throughout my first playthrough. At first I was happy to kill badies because A) the game told me to, and B) they were terrorists. That perspective is simply not good enough for Deus Ex, and it forces you to have a more mature understanding of the themes and topics present in the game.

A boatload more RPS coverage on the original game here, and Human Revolution here. If you’ve already got Deus Ex, why not reinstall it and play it?

Also of note:
Bully: Scholarship Edition – £3.21/€3.97/$4.99
Super Meat Boy – £2.99/€3.69/$4.65
Hard Reset – £4.42/€6.12/$6.80
Bejeweled 3 – £2.99/€3.99/$3.99

Please treat SavyGamer.co.uk as your first port of call for the cheap video games across all platforms.

1. FKD says:

Napoleon: TW is on sale (in addition to all the TW games I think) at GamersGate, and it looks like cheaper then it was last week from Steam (although that doesn’t help if you already bought it!).

• Flobulon says:

Thanks for the heads up, at £3.74 it’s a steal!

• FKD says:

Agreed! I almost bought it the other day on Steam, I think it was around $9. But money is tight right now so I said “Weeeeell..I could wait until Christmas, it might be half that by then!” But little did I know just a few days later…

• SkittleDiddler says:

Gamers Gate had the entire Total War collection on sale (including all those horrid little DLC packs for Shogun 2) for around $25 earlier in the week. That was a good deal, and I should have taken advantage of it.

2. Unfair says:

Two new indie bundles this week.

Be Mine 3 launched yesterday:
    Garshasp: The Monster Slayer
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee & Exoddus
    Avernum 4, 5, 6 (The Second Trilogy)
    Hamilton’s Great Adventure
    Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

Indie Fort 2:
    Intrusion 2 (Exclusive premiere)
    Aztaka
    3079
    Fortix 2
    Dark Scavenger

Out of those bundles, the Avernum trilogy and Dark Scavenger are both good RPGs (Avernum is more classic style, DS is point and click but has some cool features). And of course Fortix 2 is a pretty awesome arcade game.

3. Juan Carlo says:

That groupees bundle is pretty good. Not sure why they have Garshap as the “bonus” game, though. That game sucks. Any one of the other games from the main bundle would probably have been better incentive.

• Unfair says:

My guess is that they picked the game that would look the shiniest at a quick glance – it really is nice graphically.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

That’s how it usually goes with these since they don’t reveal them until the goal is meant and then everyone lets out a collective sigh of lameness.

4. LazyGit says:

You keep saying that you need to use an American billing address for Amazon deals to work.

Could someone explain this please because I don’t know how my credit card is supposed to work if my address is fake.

Thanks

• alundra says:

There could be an small risk of incurring in fraud by using fake address, they might fix this if somebody out there is stupid enough, and you can bet there is, to use a fake address and then try to dispute the charges.

So, don’t use a popular address, like the congress of the USofA or say, for example, Micro$oft, and as long as the funds from your card clear and Amazon gets their payment, you should be good.

Vandelay says:

I’ve wondered the same thing after seeing this multiple times on the bargain bucket. Seems a little dodgy to me and something that could very easily be checked by the store.

Plenty of people obviously do it with no repercussions though, so perhaps they don’t really care.

• bill says:

It’s rather annoying that I seem to run into regular repeated problems using my own credit card and UK address (because I’m currently overseas), yet it seems that may other people are just able to chuck in random fake addresses and it works fine.

I’ve even informed my credit card companies of the situation and they’ve put notes on my account – and yet i still seem to have to keep calling them to unlock the cards. And steam seems unwilling to accept a UK paypal payment on a UK card when not in the UK.

Endless amounts of un-fun.

5. LionsPhil says:

Shame the DX bundle doesn’t let you gift the spares; ‘twould be a good way to give surplus DX1 to those who are, lamentably, somehow still uninitiated, or may have simply lost their physical copies and need to be reunited with the ability to start playing it again any time anybody mentions lemon-lime.

• Shuck says:

The bundle itself doesn’t save you much; the real savings is the 75% off on everything. So might as well buy them individually and gift what you already have.

• LionsPhil says:

Indeed; DX1 has already been dished out. Just pondering if I care enough about HR while I’ve still got other stuff to play.

It’ll be 75% or better again one day.

• Shuck says:

Yeah, I’ve been having the same quandary – I’ve got over 100 unfinished or completely un-played games just in my Steam library, and there will, no doubt, be an equal sale at some point in the future. I’m not sure it’ll get significantly cheaper, though – in the next couple of years I don’t expect to see it go for less than $5.

• Skabooga says:

As a personal opinion, Deus Ex: HR is well worth $10 and destroyed my orderly queue of “games to be played” for the weeks it took me to play through it.

Thermal Ions says:

Worth the price and worth escalating to the top of your “to be played list”

• alundra says:

As a huge fan of the first, and still thinking it will be unmatched for years to come, in HR they somehow managed to get back to the roots of the first, fully avoiding the fiasco that the second was.

Some people criticize the bosses for being too easy, I found the difficulty spot on, then again I played the game old fashion, just by myself, without looking at the kind of guide or comment on the internet.

Had a great time with it, it had been years since I played a game straight from start to end.

• SkittleDiddler says:

That’s one of the few things that bothers me about Valve: they have some great Steam bundle sales, but you’re not allowed to gift extra copies. It’s all a bit tyrannical, but I’m pretty sure the Steam Price Fixing Speculation Market Trading Market is dictating that by now.

• SockDog says:

I believe this is up to the developer/publisher as to whether extra copies can be gifted.

jrodman says:

It seems not. Zeboyd has asked for their promotional free copy of breath of death with purchase of penny arcade rainslick episode 3 to be tradable, but apparently Steam gets to make the call.

• SkittleDiddler says:

jrodman is correct as far as I know. Valve are afraid that people are going to take advantage of bundle sales and trade or sell extra copies at a profit to others. A bit like what happened with Humble Indie Bundle before they got smart and implemented a minimum purchase amount requirement– assholes would buy as many copies of the Bundle as possible at a penny each and then trade the extras.

Valve noticed this abuse tied in with last year’s Summer Seal and they changed policies regarding multiple copies. Used to be it was up to the publishers.

6. mouton says:

I would buy the Be Mine bundle for Avernum games, but do not want the rest of the stuff – (well, okay, abe is great too). Anyway, are the steam keys separate or there is one key that adds everything?

• Janek says:

Separate. Well, each series is anyway, so there’s one key for the Avernum trilogy, one for the Oddworld games, etc.

7. wodin says:

Acthung Panzer Op Star and all DLC for $19.99 or around £13 over at Strategy First. Type PANZER in the discount box.

8. Dr I am a Doctor says:

Alan Wake for 10$ on Greenmangaming, gives you a 15% discount on American Nightmare too

• Dextro says:

Thanks for that, I’ve been looking for a good deal on Alan wake for a while now so I took the plunge (and since it’s steam I don’t have to deal with that mess of a DRM other titles at GMG have).

9. iainl says:

What’s the joystick support like in SFIV? I’ve already got the 360 version, so would only be buying if it works with my old DC arcade stick over my USB adaptor. Is it one of those evil things that only likes 360 pads?

• pakoito says:

Let’s say it’s decent, far from perfect but anything working on 360 works here too.

• iainl says:

Sorry for confusion; I mean I can already play it on my 360-compatible fight pads. Just would like to break out the Mighty Dreamcast Arcade Stick on it, but most GFWL games are stubborn about PC compatible controllers that aren’t aimed at the 360 as well.

• bit_crusherrr says:

It works with my PS3 arcade stick fine, and that acts like a generic controller so your one should work fine, if not there is always xpadder.

10. Berzee says:

Woot! Gettin’ The Last Express, for I have wanted that game for a time.

11. pakoito says:

That Street Fighter is not Steam Friendly, right?

• iainl says:

All versions of SFIV are GFWL, sorry.

• pakoito says:

Steam’s too. I mean if I buy from Amazon would I get a steam code or not. I already own the game, it’s for a friend.

LTK says:

If you’d gift a GFWL game to a friend, I shudder to think what you do to your enemies!

To answer your question: I think it depends on the game. If Amazon lists the key as a ‘product code’, then Steam will accept it, but if it says ‘activation key’, then it won’t.

12. Torgen says:

From Dust feels like they left fully a third of the game out. When you collect the totems to restore the tribes memory, the totems don’t even have descriptions, much less do anything. I wasn’t angry after buying the game, though, just very sad and disappointed.

13. alilsneaky says:

Warning: from dust is about as bad a port as bad ports come.
    Don’t waste your money on this.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

How bad is it on scale of 0 to Saint’s Row 2?

• alilsneaky says:

On a scale of 0 to saints row two it’s an 8.
        On a jankyness scale of 0 to homefront it’s a 9.

Just awful

Dilapinated says:

Is 0 the bad end of this scale?

• Shadrach says:

Oh come on, it wasn’t that bad, I thought it was pretty good and certainly original. Way too short however, and not really the sandbox game I was hoping for, but a good few (6-8) hours entertainment.

• dE says:

I agree.
        From Dust is a beautiful game, based on a simple but fun mechanic, marred by retardotron pathfinding. The pathfinding is an experience in and out of itself. The dynamic drums, the sounds of nature with tribal voices in the background all make up for a terrific zen experience.
        This game is truely meta, transcendental at times. An exercise in patience and rage control leading to inner enlightenment. Or smashed gamepads. Dear lord the pathfinding is stupid in this game. Can’t count the times when a villager happily circled around back, ignoring each and every attempt to provide alternate paths, while circling right into an erupting volcano while having the nerve to bloody bitch and shout about it… well *takes a deep breath* you might just be on your path to becoming the perfect being.

14. Shadrach says:

Ooh do get Last Express it is lovely! You will feel like a better person after playing it, having learned a small but important bit of European history at the same time :)

BubuIIC says:

I completely agree, The Last Express is one of the loveliest games I ever played.

15. Shooop says:

GamersGate has bunch of deals, most notably Amnesia The Dark Descent for $5 and Shogun Total War 2 for $7.50.

16. SkittleDiddler says:

I just gotta say thanks RPS for hosting this feature every weekend. This is the best place I’ve found so far to get the most out of my digital entertainment money.

And thanks for not banning me for posting any other deals I find on the interwebz! (Fuck you Steam moderators)

LTK says:

You were advertising Steam’s competitors on their very own forum? And you’re surprised you got banned?

• SkittleDiddler says:

Yup, I got infracted and banned, but the reason that’s unusual is because Steam have an open policy in regards to users posting sales deals from any of Steam’s competitors. They officially don’t give a shit as long as those posts don’t devolve into pure advertising spam or referral links.

I got infracted (which actually led to an eventual ban) because some douchebag moderator decided he didn’t like the thread I started about a $14.00 sale on a game over at Green Man Gaming. He interpreted it as advertising when it was no such thing according to Steam’s own rules. Steam support never bothered to investigate despite my request to do so, so yeah, fuck them and their wagon circling. Their mods are over-reactive, overtly fascist, and willing to bend the rules to suit their mood.

• TariqOne says:

$team.

• dE says:

Mind providing proof? ’cause throwing around words like Fascist doesn’t do much for your credibility I’m affraid.

• SkittleDiddler says:

No, I wouldn’t mind providing proof, I just won’t bother. Why is something like my story so hard to believe for some people? Is it because Valve has such an unmarred rep? Or is it just the fanboys who deny that Valve would sometimes behave like one of their competitors? Perish the thought of some uninformed employee of a large company doing something ignorant every once in a while.

Every time I bring my experience up, there’s some subset of the internet that thinks I’m making shit up just to spite someone else.

I call fascist behavior out when I see it. Cirumventing proper procedural investigation in favor of keeping one stupid mod off the Employee Troublemaker list seems a bit fascist to me.

• dE says:

The story in and out of itself isn’t hard to believe. Bans happen. Some justified, some maybe not. I don’t particularly care either way. Still every banned person claims the ban wasn’t justified and the moderator/staff were out for their blood. That’s human nature.
            The problem is with how people act on that perception and in what manner, way and tone they do that. Let’s say if someone states it in a calm and polite manner, I’m probably inclined to believe something went wrong. Let’s also say someone else states the ban happened because the moderator was a fascist and how the moderator broke the rules and needs to be removed already but is covered by his evil staff companions. Let’s also say that very person claimed they had been posting this at several other places. Well, the latter telegraphs “I’m really quite furious about it and I want to destroy as much as I can in my wake”. Benefit of the doubt, ask for proof.
            Oddly enough, the people of the latter faction never quite come around to providing it. It’s beneath them, it got deleted, the magic unicorn ate it, for some reason there’s never proof for the claims. So if you honestly and seriously wonder why people dispute your claims: It’s not because of some hammer legion elite member pin on their jacket – it’s because the way you present your story reeks of anger.

P.S.:
            And for the love of anything that might be holy to you: Bloody look up fascism. Seriously, do that before you throw it around.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Of course I’m angry. The infraction was unjustified, and the fact that it contributed to an eventual ban made it even more frustrating. I used to spend a majority of my “forum time” at Steam; it’s where I went to chat, get information, and help other users. The fact that I had to find alternative means to continue using the Steam forums sticks in my craw a bit. Yes, I’m angry. I’ll be angry until Steam resolve the issue, but that will never happen. I’m angry because I was provably right and they were provably wrong, yet they had the ultimate power to decide the outcome in their favor.

The icing on the cake for me was that Steam’s own support people didn’t even bother with a cursory investigation; they took the word of the mod in question and closed the case. It was rude, it was unprofessional, and it was highly anti-customer.

I was done being reasonable and polite about the matter a long time ago. Now my only goal is to make people aware of the fact that Valve is not some shiny, kind, godlike deity. They’re an amoral business, and they ultimately don’t give a shit about their consumer base.

As far as your assertion that I don’t really know what the definition of a fascist is? That may be true, but describing the behavior of Valve in this matter as “democratic” really doesn’t fit, does it? Fascist is good enough for me.

If I offended any real-life fascists out there, I apologize.

• alundra says:

Well, the description given of steam’s forum’s mods is pretty accurate:

• dE says:

Thank you SkittleDiddler, I’ve now collected enough exhibits to gain an informed opinion about your story. Congratulations.

Thermal Ions says:

Seems pretty clearly to be against the rules:

II. The following topics are strictly off limits, including in external links:
          – Soliciting, begging, auctioning, selling, advertising, referrals

Most of the moderators are volunteers, so not actually on Valve’s payroll (although may get the odd benefit for their contribution – hardly commensurate however). Being individuals it’s not surprising that different moderators may be a bit more lenient though, and as such may let slide the odd links advertising or referring users to their competitors. You’re just asking to be pulled up though if it’s something you do with any regularity, particularly if they comprise the bulk of your posts.

• SkittleDiddler says:

All true, but the fact of the matter is that Steam mods rarely delete or infract threads or posts that contain information regarding competitor sales. As I said above, users who post pure ads or referral links are bound to get the attention of the mods, and that’s certainly justified IMO.

The problem is that Valve offer little to no guidance for their moderators when it comes to interpreting Steam’s official forum rules. Mods are allowed to delete, ban, infract, or lock to their hearts content, with almost no interaction involved from actual Valve employees. There needs to be some kind of oversight to prevent the kinds of abuses I’ve seen at the Steam forums. Better yet, Valve need to start taking user complaints seriously — I’m not the only one who’s been blown off by Steam’s support staff after filing a valid complaint backed by actual recorded evidence.

All this begs the question: if “advertising” is against the rules, why do so many forum users get away with it? There are dozens of sales posts listed at Steam’s forums every day. If Valve are going to go the cheap route and hire volunteer mods, they need to at least train them to recognize actual rule-breaking.

wengart says:

I’m not totally surprised. They let most slide, but GMG has a rather out front reference system that has been a bit of an issue for them.

Hell I made 350$ almost solely off of Steam forum derived references.

17. Bios Element says:

Avoid Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition. Capcom lies about patching it and the game does not even work with a keyboard.

Thanks for stealing my money Crapcom!

drewski says:

I would have bought a GotY Human Revolution edition for $10, but I’m not paying an extra $5 for yet more copies of two games I already own.

19. Mattressi says:

It really irritates me that the Be Mine Bundle never actually tells me how much it costs until I’ve logged in. A minimum of $1 I can understand (to ensure they don’t lose money), but to say that the minimum is $4 is just stupid. Then, to not only have a minimum of $4, but to force me to log on when I click the “pay what you want” button, just so that I can see that it actually costs $4; that’s just bloody ridiculous.

Please, if you’re doing a bundle, just say what the minimum price is. If you’re feeling especially like a logical human being, don’t say that the bundle is “pay what you want” if there’s a high minimum (or even any minimum) and don’t make it that the only way to find that there is a minimum price of $4 is to click on a button saying “pay what you want”.

I do NOT want to pay $4 minimum for a bundle where I’ve got most games and only want one. Therefore, I cannot pay what I want, which means that the bundle is not “pay what you want”.

20. The Evil Moose says:

Dragon Age series is 75% off at Amazon game downloads, they also have a package of Origins and Dragon Age 2 for 10$