Big Slip: Far Cry 3′s Release Date A Far Cry From Reality

By John Walker on June 25th, 2012 at 5:39 pm.

Well, everyone should expect it now.

Not that it will be a surprise to Rock, Paper, Shotgun readers, all familiar with my legacy, the Walker Principal*, but the release date for Far Cry 3 has just slipped by almost three months. It’s now at the end of November. Perhaps a touch ironic, after Nathan recently reported for us that the PC version would be launched alongside the consoles. It turns out what they meant by that was, “not at all, for a bit.”

30th November is now the planned UK release, so presumably it’ll be the 28th in the States. It was originally going to be the 4th/6th of September. Thankfully, they’ve again confirmed that this includes the PC too. (Although Ubisoft have quite a strong record of saying this, then announcing a week before release that they didn’t mean it. Let’s hope it’s true this time.)

Also in this update is news that Rocksmith (who?) will now be on the 19th October for PCs, meaning the consoles will have been smithing rocks for three weeks already.

*For those catching up, the Walker Principle works like this:

Where n is the initially stated release date for a game, n = a load of old bollocks.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. virtualmatrix258 says:

Wow, all this talk about how amazing this game is going to be (from the developers of course) and it’s 3 months late in development which is a lot. Also, I’m sick of getting games first here in the U.S. and then having to wait for an extra few days for my friends in EU. I hate playing with Americans.

• emorium says:

a 3 months delay doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad game. maybe they realised they have a good game and with 3 months of polish they can make it great. i’m generally happy when i hear a game is delayed because it means i won’t play it unfinished just because they want to release it on a date they set years ago.

• Syra says:

That’s funny, I’m in the uk and most europeans annoy me to the point I actually prefer playing with americans…

Not all, but most.

• nrvsNRG says:

playing with europeans is almost always better then playing with americans.

• Timthos says:

Gotta love generalizations.

• HexagonalBolts says:

They’re just so… nasal. How can you decipher the individual voices? I’ve decided that this is also why so many Americans are so awful at voting: they struggle to distinguish the Democrat they would vote for if they possessed any sanity and accidentally put down a Republican.

(I’m just messing, I love you yanks really… just keep Mitt out and things’ll stay that way)

• Ultra Superior says:

You should google Ron Paul

The best president America will never have.

• Iskariot says:

I only enjoy playing with people from south Mongolia. I hate playing with everybody else.

• Mut says:

Pah! Everybody knows that Northern Mongolians are so much better!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

It’s funny because UK’ers are Europerans as well.

Don’t pretend you’re not. :p

• derbefrier says:

dumbass kids from any country are annoying. reminds me of a time my friend was playing COD late at night with some Brits. He hadn’t had a job in months and played CoD all day everyday so lets just say he was better than the majority of players. Well this English dude started accusing him of cheating and sending him hateful messages over xbox live to which he responded with the entire “America, Fuck Yeah” song. pretty funny stuff never seen someone rage so hard before. but for the most part you Europeans are not too bad i used to play TFC back in the day with a few they were always cool.
      those brazilians though…man i was in in a WoW guild with some and those guys are nuts alwasy had a good time with them though.

• Brun says:

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE

• AngoraFish says:

win

• The Random One says:

I’m Brazilian. A friend of mine keeps annoying me with HUEHUEHUE stories even though I never played WoW or LoL.

One day, Brazilian Kotaku put up a news post saying that there would be Brazilian LoL servers.

Everyone in the comments reacted THE EXACT SAME WAY as that friend had always done. Only instead of Brazilians they said ‘the OTHER Brazilians’.

So I guess I gotta agree.

2. Brun says:

I hate playing with Americans.

:-(

Edit: Crap, supposed to be a reply to #1. Oh well.

3. wakeupandsmelltheashes says:

Hooray! There can never be too many games pencilled in for a November release.

• werix says:

Is it too early to say this is part of Ubi’s conspiracy to finally stop creating PC games? Release it during the holiday rush so it won’t do as well on PC, then blame it on pirates and cite it as a reason to finally abandon PC?

Wasn’t that a theory that was in vogue like a year ago?

4. faelnor says:

“Rocksmith” sounds like a quick cash-in corporate clone of “Minecraft”.

• Syra says:

Rocksmith looks awesome been waiting for it here for a year, it’s a guitar training game that was delayed by some r-tard with an unknown band by the same name here in the uk taking legal action against its release.

• Milky1985 says:

God forbid the small man with a band that (probably) started before this product was name stand up to the big company.

We all the correct procedure is to just grin and take it! What were they thinking!

• develin says:

Well “the small man with a band” probably doesn’t have any use for the rights in the game space. Don’t forget, trademarks are specific to the area and the number of bands that crossed into the gaming space has been rare, rather bad and usually the games weren’t actually called the band name.

• Monkeh says:

I giggled. :P

5. BooleanBob says:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see both the Walker principle and the Ubisoft principle ultimately come into effect with this one. I can never remember the exact formulation of the Ubisoft principle, only that the PC version inevitably shows up three months later than whatever n is eventually revised to for other platforms.

Oh, and the corollary, which is that every copy of the PC version wipes the customer’s hard-drive out of spite/contains a swarm of angry bees/helps shape social policy for the Conservative party (whichever you consider to be most dastardly).

• Unaco says:

Only after they’ve made definite, concrete statements to the effect that the PC version will be released at the same time as the console version, and then have to announce that it won’t. Ultimately, I think the delay to PC release is related to the time of their guarantees of release parity, and the course of moon when those statements are made.

• SpawnOfCthuntoo says:

I’ve heard the PC version will also piss on your dog/cat each time that you install it.

Damn you Ubisoft!

• Kadayi says:

3 month delay on all platforms guys. It’s not some Ubisoft hates PC gamers conspiracy. John just assumed it’s only the PC it seems.

6. Shooop says:

Is there really anyone who truly believes this game will be any good whatsoever? Anyone?

• Brun says:

I think it has the potential to be not bad.

• airtekh says:

Yup.

Far Cry 2 was ace, so I’m very much looking forward to this.

• Shooop says:

I guess when you set your standards that low, anything looks good.

• airtekh says:

Don’t accuse me of having low standards just because YOU didn’t like Far Cry 2.

If you really didn’t care this much about Far Cry 3, you wouldn’t have bothered posting your initial comment.

• Thants says:

Yes, shooting a lot of people IS what I enjoy in an FPS. Complaining about having to shoot a lot of people in an FPS is odd.

• Kadayi says:

Yes we get it you hate the game, now why should we care exactly?

• Ultra Superior says:

I agree, FC2 was great. I don’t like “xp +15″ pop ups, otherwise it looks very good. Stealth, danger, open world. Good.

• werix says:

What The guy above me said. Loved Far Cry 2, so I hope this is good too.

• Arglebargle says:

Far Cry 2 should be used as a classic example of how small design decisions can totally destroy an otherwise decent game.

I don’t expect Far Cry 3 to be good, but more surprising things have happened.

• Shooop says:

There is absolutely nothing redeeming about FC3 they have shown so far. The high-minded talk of it being a meta-commentary is nothing but PR – you go somewhere, you shoot at people, you do a QTE, and then you get to oogle a topless woman. It’s another Duke Nukem Forever.

The villain waxing philosophical about how he’s not forcing you to do anything doesn’t suddenly make it so deep and meaningful. It just makes a half-hearted excuse for the middle-school crowd gimmicks. It’s more cringe-worthy than watching Bob Saget.

• Screamer says:

Every time I think this might be good, I think back…. Farcry 2 also looked good and turned out it also = n.

Waiting for wot someone thinks.

• Ultra Superior says:

FC2 was a great game – those who think otherwise weren’t persistent enough.

• develin says:

What was so bad about Far Cry 2 ? Outside of it basically having nothing in common with Far Cry 1?
        After you broke through the difficulty curve there was actually an interesting game in there, which provided similar interesting moments as e.g. Stalker, without being on the technical level as buggy.

• Ultra Superior says:

1) You missed the fact that they won’t see you when you crouch in the grass.

2) It’s not a doom level with elevator at the end, it’s simulation of a country where paramilitaries return to their posts. So what.

3) Erm. That’s obviously B.S. You could go almost anywhere you wanted. Too bad you probably only used the roads. BTW you could stunt jump cars over cliffs, swim in rivers etc. etc.

4) You probably missed that you had several safehouses in each level where you could have ammo stashes.

6) That was widely misunderstood. Malaria was a story driven feature – the “low on pills” situation only occurred to move you toward your next story objective. During your free roaming you could EASILY manage that: Take a pill. See? Easy.

7) Unforgivable in a First Person Shooter.

8) Weapons that you bought and owned were always found in top condition. You just needed to spend some money, which was nice – at least you had to make choice about what weapons you prefer and invest into them.

9) Erm… you’ve overlooked the little detail about them helping you kill the bad guys.

10) Depends on situation.

11) If only you could talk to the monsters, ey? You’re incorrect, there were numbers of other types of missions. Tracking convoys, blowing pipeline, saving people, setting ambushes etc.

Now you can install the game again and have fun with it.

• Timthos says:

The multiplayer portions are almost certainly terrible, but I am still hoping the singleplayer will be cool.

• Some Guy says:

Yeah, mostly because I liked the first 2.

• Shooop says:

The first game was fine. The second is fermented sewage.

• Some Guy says:

I liked it a lot actually. I thought the balance was reasonable (I think I played it on the 2nd from the hardest difficulty) in that without good cover/a good position you would quickly die, and that you had to make use of gorilla-ey tactics (setting the bush on fire, sniping, going and getting far better weapons, stabbing them in the back 1 at a time, explosive traps and whatever else I forgot) to have a chance. Enemies re spawning at checkpoints definitely was a hassle, however once you get the better weapons (Grenade launcher for example) you can headshot or ‘splode enough of them that it isn’t a huge problem-the game took range into account a good deal too, so you really couldn’t stretch weapons out too far (compared to the pistols in BC2 for example)
          At a minimum it took quite a few risks and did things differently.

• Ultra Superior says:

@Shoop

You played it wrong. Nothing you said is true when played properly.

BTW sniping was absolutely the best in this game. You could shoot one guy in the leg, wait for his comrade who came to help, he picked the wounded guy over shoulders and they staggered away…. all in your cruel cruel crosshairs.

• Iskariot says:

Yep.
      This game will rock.

• hellboy says:

Far Cry 2 was great, much better than number 1. I enjoyed the open world it was based it. Sure it wasn’t perfect but it was a lot of fun. Far Cry 3 looks a little too much like #1 to my liking.

• Jimbo says:

I enjoyed Far Cry 1 well enough, at least until the turd monsters showed up, but I agree that FC2 was better. The end of FC2 was dumb, but I thought the rest of it was great.

• GreatGreyBeast says:

I have modest hope. I haven’t seen proof yet that it will suck, anyway. The only thing that really bothers me so far is that this seems like an attempt to go back to the well of the first game, rather than addressing the mistakes of the second and moving on from there. And I’m sick of tropical jungles.

• phelix says:

Wot I’m seeing of it so far just looks like a generic shooter coated with the words ‘Far Cry’ to make it sell. Then again I’ve become so much of a cynist through the years of awful, awful AAA games that I fail to feel excitement at seeing yet another piece of sequelitis inbreed.

7. Diziet Sma says:

Other sites are reporting that the XBox 360 version has also slipped to november. Are you sure this isn’t a cross platform delay and therefore in line with the aforementioned Ubisoft bods statement?

8. Gap Gen says:

I didn’t know John Walker used to be a headmaster.

9. ChromeBallz says:

This is one game i don’t mind waiting for.

Anticipation is just as fun as finally getting the game! While i would have liked it sooner, my year will be rather busy as it is so i dont mind the game being pushed to a time where i can spend an entire day on it <3

10. haradaya says:

Oh well, gives me time to look at gameplay videos and judge if it’s close to being the sequel to Far Cry 2 I wanted.
    Right now it smells of scripted.

11. rohsiph says:

I’m sure no one has ever said anything like this ever before. Neverever:

Looks like their original release was a Far Cry 3 from accurate.

12. Undermind_Mike says:

Sorry to be that guy, John, but only your second spelling of “principle” is correct… “principal” means “firstmost” or something similar.

13. Some Guy says:

Why is that guy putting an empty magazine in his gun? It’s just silly.

• JB says:

Perhaps he’s removing it?

• wodin says:

I was just about to say cos he was removing it, only for someone to say it first. This comment though shows how someones preconceived ideas on how good a game will be can affect the persons ability to see the screenshot in an objective way.

Game shit, he is putting in an empty magazine. Or I have no opinion of the game, oh a screenshot of someone removing an empty magazine.

I see psychology at work here.

• Some Guy says:

Actually I’m looking forward to the game and no, if you watch some of the gameplay vids (2:13 here in particularhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aOSdza1YMU) you can quite clearly see the magazines don’t have rounds in them in both the detachment and reattachment part of the animation-If you did you would see them in both parts, because of how guns work and chambers and stuff.
          Nice try though!

• Some Guy says:

Could be, though for the animations that I’ve seen so far for FC3 they have the gun tilt up and counterclockwise slightly for the detach part of the animation and then have it rotate conterclockwise slightly more for the reatach bit 5:25)-my guess is to add more motion to the final bit of it? I dunno.

14. Iskariot says:

So this is going to be released 7 days after Assassin’s Creed 3 and 10 Days after Hitman 5?
    That is obviously the right thing to do…..

15. curiousdan says:

I understand why some people found Far Cry 2 boring. To me, it was like a shooter symphony…tons of variations in pace and action. One of the best FPSers of the decade!

• Shooop says:

It wasn’t boring. It was just pure shit.

You were just funneled from one area stuffed with psychic bullet-proof enemies (wearing tank-tops no less) to activate a switch or kill a person, to the next. Sure it’d let you explore a bit, but strongly discouraged that by making the aforementioned demigod enemies respawn the moment you turned the other way.

I never bought another Ubisoft game since then. Haven’t regretted it either.

• jimjam says:

FC2 was not shit. For many it was not what they wanted. Many wanted yet another COD and behold other devs supplied such things and they bought it…

Now as far as FC3 it looks to be a solid story FPS, BUT Ubisoft have lost my custom due to the DRM they slap everywhere.

• wodin says:

Bullet sponge enemy who constantly respawns over and over again…yawn.. made the game shit. Simple.

• GreatGreyBeast says:

It’s as if we played two different games. The exact thing I hated most about FC2 was the LACK of variation in pace and action. The problem is that they facilitated the creation of a “dynamic” world by making every dynamic element completely interchangeable, which ruins the whole point. Your choices and random luck will create a unique string of friends, foes, dialogue, objectives, etc… except that in order to make it work, every element is functionally identical. Once you realize that, the game becomes lather, rinse, repeat, ad infinitum ad nauseum. And it’s a LONG game, just to bash its repetitiveness into your skull.

The combat doesn’t help any either, as the environments are surprisingly cramped for such an “open” world. Yes, I get that you can go to almost any location you want right from the very beginning, but any given location is probably a fairly small little cul-de-sac off the network of corridors that make up the world map. Despite heavy promotion of the AI and fire physics, the lack of elbow-room mostly negates those things, and stealth works for shit, so every encounter becomes a samey medium-distance shooting gallery. Exceptions I can think of include the castle, where the sniper rifle is actually moderately useful, …and nothing else.

The game has massive problems with immersion too, but that doesn’t really go towards your post. But the worst part is, I can see a lot of ideas I like – they just got ruined by bad choices. I would rather see Ubi fix what they did wrong here, than retreat and go back to standard FPS formula.

16. Noodlefighter says:

Wow thanks for screwing over the platform Far Cry originated from!!!

• Shooop says:

Have you watched any of the previews? They’d be doing us a favor not releasing it at all.

17. G_Man_007 says:

10 bucks it’s to put the DRM in…

18. Grape Flavor says:

Actually, November 29 in Europe, December 4 in the US. http://www.shacknews.com/article/74498/far-cry-3-delayed-to-dec-4

I find it rather amusing how RPS is always so busy raging over the games that come out a few days later in Europe that they entirely fail to notice (or care) that a good deal of the games actually come out earlier.

For what it’s worth Europe is also getting the recently revealed 3DS XL three weeks earlier than the United States…

• Milky1985 says:

Nintendo do that a lot for games, the first party stuff tends to come out here first, then in america. It used to be different but i think the europeon market is better for them so they release here first more often now.

We also get the fringe titles like xenoblade chronicals etc whereas americans still don’t have it (last i checked)

19. Kadayi says:

Today, Ubisoft announced that Far Cry 3 will be released on November 29 in EMEA and on December 4 in the U.S. Far Cry 3 will be available for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the Sony PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC.

“We’re taking more time to create the best possible gameplay experience,” said Dan Hay, producer at Ubisoft. “Far Cry 3 is a huge offering and we want every element of this insane, action-packed adventure to be of the highest possible quality for the players.”

Not seeing where it says the PC version is shipping any later than the console versions according to that official statement John. Seems the whole game got pushed, which tbh is never a bad thing as it’s likely polish (at least Ubi etc tell you when a games delayed and give you a revised ETA unlike say Valve).

20. HilariousCow says:

Wow. 3 months is a worthless amount of time for fixing anything fundamental in AAA, especially if you’ve been gearing up to actually finish. Hope this slip is only a late public admission (and was known about well in advance in the code-face), or all those last minute hacks you made to get the game done have to be worked around or undone. That’ll sap most of their time.

21. matty_gibbon says:

For all those who think John reported that Far Cry 3 would be released later on PC than on consoles, I have this to say:

He didn’t

• Kadayi says:

“Perhaps a touch ironic, after Nathan recently reported for us that the PC version would be launched alongside the consoles. It turns out what they meant by that was, “not at all, for a bit.””