In The Game Of McPixel, You Win Or You Explode

By Nathan Grayson on June 26th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Even the characters in this game look vaguely confused about why they're doing what they're doing.
Remember McPixel? You first met the bizarro rapid-fire point-and-click adventure when it was naught but a bouncing baby demo. It may have vomited on your shirt. It, er, finds those sorts of things funny. But now McPixel’s all grown up and available for purchase, so naturally, its humorous sensibilities have matured. A little. OK, so it’s still amazingly low-brow in places (for instance, McPixel’s go-to means of attempting to save the world is generally a casual kick to the groin) but replaying 20-second, constantly exploding scenarios for hidden gags yields some gleefully unexpected results. Witness the mesmerizing (and, for some reason, partially live-action) madness in a new trailer after the break.

So, basically – between unconnected locations that range from the North Pole to the movie Snakes On A Plane and solutions that involve very little rhyme or reason – it’s a toy. But it’s an entertaining, occasionally chuckle-worthy toy, and anything that constantly makes me ask “I wonder what would happen if I… ?” is a-okay in my book. Are 100 blink-and-you’ll-miss-it-and-you’ll-be-dead levels of that worth the $9.99 asking price, though? I haven’t messed around with it enough to render a definitive verdict. But McPixel’s demo, for better or worse, is pretty much a perfect representation of the sort of McBang you’ll get for McBucks, so it’s probably your best bet for now.

Also – and I can’t decide if this is brilliant or vaguely exploitative – but you can lop a couple dollars off the price tag by submitting fan art or a video of an “Ode to McPixel.” So that’s a thing. As is the website’s fake screenshot section, which I just discovered. And, unlike the game, it’s both free and definitely excellent. Here’s a sample.

, , .

1. FionaSarah says:

For me McPixel is a triple fried egg chili chutney sandwich. All the ingredients are wrong and it should never work, but somehow it all comes together into an absolutely delightful experience.

2. Firetaffer says:

I don’t know about this one, I don’t think I’ll be cashing in $10 for it. I would definitely buy it for something cheaper.

• Savagetech says:

Could not agree more. There are scads of interesting indie games ≤$10 that provide hours of varied gameplay with good replayability. McPixel is a string of crude jokes that, while funny, is not worth giving up the entertainment I could get elsewhere for the same $10. Even the sale price of $7.50 is too much; I’d spend $5 tops and it wouldn’t even be a sure purchase unless it was more like $2.50.

If I was just rolling in disposable income then I could warrant purchasing this game, but I don’t really understand who this price-point is aimed at when you can get games like Time Gentlemen Please+Ben There Dan That, The Blackwell (Noun/Verb), Dungeons of Dredmoor, The Binding of Isaac, and many more for only $5. If two of those games didn’t entertain you more–and for longer–than McPixel I’d be surprised.

3. Nixitur says:

It’s definitely fun, but not worth 10 bucks. I mean, that’s the same price as Gateways.

4. Toberoth says:

The live action trailer is cute, but I’d rather see more of the game. Not really sold on this, unless some RPSer really convinces the fuck out of me.

5. adonf says:

Ducks!

Smashbox says:

Them boys need a tripod.

7. Fumarole says:

How very Adam West of them.

8. Shooop says:

Just got done with the demo and glad I did try it.

It’s hilarious the first time you see it, but I’m not sure it’s got too much lasting appeal.

9. geldonyetich says:

If the demo is of any indication, McPixel is a game you’ll either love or hate based off the fundamental fact of what it is:

It’s an adventure game of dozens of scenes of sight gags where the winning solution may make no sense at all and the greater goal may be simply uncovering all the sight gags.

Take, for example, the Death Star level in the demo. Kick R2D2 and he falls over, revealing the location of the bomb, but you don’t really accomplish anything, the death star blows up. You get a light saber. Use it on Darth Vader and you kill him in some kind of strange light saber anal penetration joke, but the death star still blows up. Use the light saber on yourself, it sprouts two lightsaber wings out of your ears and you fly off the scene: inexplicably the Death Star doesn’t blow up at this point, and you just found the silver medal ending. The gold metal ending involves discovering all the gags on the level.

10. drlemon says:

The only game i’ve ever played where the answer to a puzzle is “You are a virgin!”

I’m not kidding.