Trash Trial: Deponia Demo

By Adam Smith on June 26th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

Oh look. It’s an English demo for Deponia, the new point and clicker from the German developers behind The Whispered World. Weighing in at just over 700 MB, which used to be like an entire bedroom’s worth of space but is now more like a teacup for many, it contains some scenes from the first chapter of the game. It’s a comedy adventure set on a planet covered in garbage and with “one of the most unusual love stories in gaming history”. As unusual as the crossover I will one day create in which Garrett and SHODAN talk dirty in the cybershadows, and eventually elope to a distant star? Grab the demo here.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Utgaardsloke says:

Damn, now I got the cravings for some SHODAN slash. Damn you!

2. Aerothorn says:

Look at you, hacker; a scrumptious creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you enter my corridors.

3. Sic says:

I don’t need the demo. I need the full game. I need to be able to throw money at Daedalic.

4. thealexray says:

Teacup? Surely you mean tea bag.

5. Xardas Kane says:

As someone who has played through the game months ago I can wholeheartedly recommend it to any adventure fans out there. A very charming and fun adventure, with memorable characters, a nice sense of humour and puzzles which, while not particularly complicated, are well integrated into the story. Be warned though, the game ends rather abruptly and without much explanation. The sequel’s coming out this September though.

6. ulix says:

Should be mentioned that their *actually* brand new adventure “the Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav” is now available through Steam.

Deponia came out in Germany about half a year ago, it is supposedly very good.
    Chains of Satinav is their first international release I think (meaning their first with No Oceans and No Borders and what not).

It is a departure from their usual style though: while their older adventures all were very humorous, CHains of Satinav is quite serious in tone.

• Subject 706 says:

Been eyeballing that Dark Eye adventure of theirs, early reviews seem positive. A “Wot I think” ,mayhaps?

7. rustybroomhandle says:

Just tried the demo – looks promising. Except, most annoying tutorial ever.

8. Zyrocz says:

Probably gonna have to try the demo. Never managed to get into The Whispered World. The voice acting, gameplay and hunting for hidden objects, turned me off.

9. epmode says:

How’s the localization? I’ve played far too many German adventure games with annoying voice acting and/or dialogue and I can only imagine that something was lost in the translation.

…and now that I think about it, that’s why we have a demo. I’m busy with Fallout though!

• hemmer says:

I really pity everyone outside Germany/Austria/Switzerland. So many great adventures from the Germans over the last few years, and I don’t think any of them got the localization they deserved. =

10. EeryPetrol says:

The voice acting, especially right after the tutorial, sounds as if every sentence of a monologue was recorded on a different day. And the tutorial itself had way to much jabbering o.O It wasn’t even funny. I thought the joke “The only thing my father left me, besides alone, was this suitcase” was nice and subtle, until he repeated how his father left him like five times, in case I didn’t catch that.

The art style is very nice, but I won’t be buying this game.

11. phlebas says:

Garrett and SHODAN were both signed up for the Portal(1986) remake that didn’t get anywhere on Kickstarter. Just sayin’.