Vroom For Everyone: F1 Online Open Beta

By Adam Smith on June 26th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Codemasters’ cars wot go fast management game, F1 Online, has now entered open beta and since it’s a microtransaction-scoffing online sort of a thing, that means anyone can play it right now without spending so much as a penny, in any sense of the phrase. Ace car-pilot Brendan took a look at the game for us almost exactly a month ago today and found it an enjoyable snack rather than a feast, although not without complaining about how “Facebookey” the whole thing can be. I’m tempted to try it as building a team from scratch sounds like fun, but if it starts trying my patience I’ll probably forget about it, leaving Team Pay To Win languishing in a garage with a half-built car. Sign up or watch the trailer below.

You know what? A Death Rally management sim would be awesome.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Hoaxfish says:

F1, as to motor racing as golf is to ball+stick games.

Entirely unrelated, I don’t really get sports games, unless it’s micromachines or sensible soccer.

• joel4565 says:

I am not sure if that is an insult or compliment. Maybe it has been too many years since I had to do SAT analogies. Yes F1 is a type of motor racing and golf is a stick+ball game, but I don’t understand the comparison.

As for sports games, I don’t normally play many sports games except the occasional racer or unrealistic sports game like my beloved NBA Jam TE on SNES (now emulator).

• dE says:

I’d like to solve. What is dull and pretentious?
        /edit: Better edit that: Not directed towards people.

• Claidheamh says:

Oo, I know! Passing judgement without knowledge!

• dE says:

I don’t think you understood the game. You’re not meant to do what you said. Your question needs to fit the answer of the opening post.

• dE says:

I see, you’re dead set on trying to act smug with an unyielding immunity versus cynism and small doses of humour. Move along then.

• Stochastic says:

I don’t understand the analogy either. Are you saying that F1 is only tangentially related to other forms of motor racing? That it involves a very different skillset? That it’s expensive?

2. Simes says:

I think I’d like it better if it didn’t have the crappy mouse controlled car-driving bit. It’s supposed to be a management sim!

• Hunchback says:

Can’t you set the cars drive themselves and only occupy yourself with the actual management ?

• Simes says:

I couldn’t find a way of doing so. There are some races where you can’t even use the auto-braking.

• Tams80 says:

That’s what I was hoping it would be like. The FM of F1.

If the driving bit was at least optional, it would be better.

3. Moni says:

Bit disappointed that it might take a bit of effort before my penis livery can really start to take shape. I’ve signed up as Team PinkMusket.

4. faelnor says:

I remember Vroom.
    You could make your car jump by having your front tyres touch the other cars’ back tyres. Good fun.
    Oh and all those metal frames on the side of the track? Now that I think about it, they weren’t quite safe, were they? Pesky little things.

5. bob. says:

Know what? I’ll sign up AND watch the trailer below. Nothing you can do bout it.

6. Tams80 says:

Having played the closed beta, I can’t recommend it. I doubt most of those who like F1 will enjoy it.

It’s rather tedious and seems to suffer a bit from the bad microtransaction curse that most F2P games do (i.e. it seems to be microtransactions that aren’t great; not terrible, but still annoying). I also find the graphics of the management part to be a bit ‘childish’ (I don’t like that term, but I couldn’t think of a better one). It doesn’t seem graphically refined. It does feel like a glorified Facebook game.

Basically I wanted an F1 Football Manager style game and this game is not it. I’m sure enough people will like it though.

• Vurogj says:

Thanks, especially for the last sentence. SI’s stubborn refusal to countenance any sport outside of foot-to-ball does leave me wanting someone, anyone to go for a proper F1 management sim, but I guess I’ll keep waiting.

7. The Infamous Woodchuck says:

I stopped playing after a month or so. the game starts to get old after several podium finishes, and it gets kinda ugly when the race approaches a tight turn, switches to demo derby mode instantly…..

8. Jason Moyer says:

Where is Edward Grabowski when you need him.