Walking Dead Episode 2 Coming To Life On June 29

By Nathan Grayson on June 26th, 2012 at 11:02 pm.

Sure, the dead are walking, but are they really *living*?

Oh the ways in which life imitates art – although I suppose, in this case, it’s un-life. The zombie fad constantly verges on down-for-the-count, only to spring back onto its feet and take a toothy lunge at your clavicle with hits like Day Z and, of course, Telltale’s surprisingly fantastic take on The Walking Dead. The latter, I suppose, is relevant to this discussion, but honestly, I don’t feel like we’ve discussed Day Z enough. Maybe I should just tell you about this one time I… oh fine. Walking Dead. It’s getting a second episode, because it’d be a pretty miserable episodic game if it didn’t.

Specifically, “Starving For Help” picks up convicted murderer Lee Everett’s story where it left off, and you’ll get to dive back in on June 29 – which is Friday by my estimation. Finally, then, you have a reason to be excited about Friday, the most un-beloved and mundane day of them all. Here’s hoping, however, that bugs don’t wriggle out of this episode’s eye sockets. Then again, Telltale’s on an incredibly tight schedule with these things, so it remains to be seen if it had time to squash the issues that plagued the first.

, , .

1. Ravelle says:

I can’t wait, I heared there’s going to be some serious choices this time.

2. makute says:

I think you mean “heard”.

I’ll wait for a gold edition with all episodes in one go, all bugs squashed and improved gameplay.

3. Bhazor says:

Sorry, I tried. I’ve watched five episodes and half the first book and I know its an indie darling but I hate the whole Walking Dead franchise.

It’s the rediculous thing where characters essentially think having an affair is more pressing than a zombie apocalypse that kills my interest in it. That and the fact that zombies are so implausable I just can’t take them seriously. I mean unarmed, barely moving, mindless, flimsy sacks of meat toppling armies? When a dozen red necks with farm tools can happily kill hundreds? All I can picture is the army from 28 Weeks Later leaving the infected woman ungaurded in the same building as thousands of civilians. Then the soldiers confusion “Which are the zombies!?!” they yell “The ones eating the people on the floor” I imagine the reply would be.

Say what you like about vampires. At least those guys have plans and lore and origin stories. Zombies! Fuck me. I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it’s an ethos.

• Drake Sigar says:

Indeed, awful show. Make Glen go down the well, tie his rope to a rusty old facet instead of the caravan, make him drink zombie ass water! There isn’t a single episode where at least one of the characters doesn’t lose all common sense and make you wonder how they survived this long.

To be fair though, this game is really good. Great voiceacting, great character relationships, great style. I loved the first part.

• whydidyoumakemeregister says:

The Walking Dead story works really well as a point and click game. It works horribly as a dramatic live-action TV series.

• InternetBatman says:

I’m not a fan of Kirkman in general. Ultimate X-men was always of varying quality, but he brought it to its nadir in his first few issue and then kept on making it worse. Invincible had a really cool opening issue, but declined in quality in a similar fashion.

• ninjapirate says:

Oh, zombies do have their own lore – but it has been thrown overboard by the countless pop culture iterations of Romero’s original zombie bastardization.
      Look up African and Haitian history on the zombie topic, for instance.

Aside from that, I fully agree with you on the “The Walking Dead” tv show. While it does have its moments, I’d summarize the show as badly written.

• Optimaximal says:

When it comes to Zombie ‘lore’, Zombies are just the side effect.

The point post-Romero is to chronicle humanity undo itself in the face of an unstoppable, unexplained and enevitable force.

Forget all this magical vampire nonsense – they’re completely different genres now.

• DrGonzo says:

Completely agree with you. In fact, you summed it up better than I could and relieved a bit of frustration there. Um… by which I don’t mean I just came…

• afly says:

What you and films like shaun of the dead fail to realise is that zombies are a metaphor for all of the worst characteristics of the human race. Consumerism, greed, mindless, sheep.

That’s what Romero invented them to be and why when people laugh at how slow they walk and how stupid they are the joke is on them.

They’re his vision of disgust at the way we behave

• RegisteredUser says:

I suck at the whole suspension of disbelief as well.

I can’t help but constantly ask: What do Zombies “run on”?
      Any physics concept ever demands that you use SOMETHING to keep going. And since they can be destroyed and die, obviously there are mechanisms that are vulnerable.

Why don’t Zombies eat each other if there is still meat on them? They enjoy all the other meat after all.

And I agree with the whole military etc stuff.

How exactly DO zombies overwhelm a 100% fully enclosed tank? How do they shoot down carpet bombers? Helicopters with gatling guns and hellfire missiles?

A society where things are contained, but everyone contaminated, and people have to deal with the understanding of what death and zombification is, with all sorts of other drama would probably be deeper and problematic under the question of what being human/mortal/death penalty is than the walking dead series thing.
      Just imagine an oppressive governing structure, and suicide bombers are now revolutionaries that just kill themselves in order to invade and infest formerly healthy colonies, e.g.

Oh and one more thing: If you only turn AFTER death, then obviously some defense inside of you is holding the virus back, yes?
      So how will a scratch or bite change this if you are already while alive capable of fighting it?

That makes no sense, either.

4. scorcher24 says:

PC Gamers = Customers 2nd Class
    Again.
    Fuck you Telltale.
    Was my last game I got from you.

• Syra says:

Um this is true of all x-platform games companies?

• robalypse says:

Right there with you on that sentiment. I really did enjoy the first episode of the game. It reminded me of how I imagined games would be as a child, like television shows where you could control the outcome.

That said, I’m appalled by their lack of communication with their customers.The game was advertised to have monthly releases (they’ve since changed this), but it’s now been two months since the release of the first episode with not a word of apology or explanation from TellTale, even though they required PC users to buy all the episodes up front. The delay was suggested at E3 to have been due to meeting the Xbox certification process, but now they bump PC gamers for the Xbox? Yes, it’s only two days, but Xbox users didn’t have to buy a season pass.

I’d highly advise anyone who’s interested in getting the game wait until all the episodes have been released to avoid any of TellTale’s shenanigans. That’s what I will be doing from now on, if I continue to even give them my business. I’m tired of being treated as a 2nd class consumer by companies like TellTale because my prefered platform for gaming is the PC.

• faelnor says:

I agree. I am sure there will be people who are willing to jump at me to staunchly defend TTG and accuse me of misplaced entitlement, but I definitely bought the season pass on the premise that there would be monthly releases. I do hope the next episodes will be released more on schedule.

That kind of false advertisement is ultimately unimportant, but it isn’t nice either. A lot of us would have appreciated more communication from the developer. And releasing the PC version after the Xbox 360 feels like a complimentary kick in the balls that comes for free with any order of miscommunication bitterness, especially when most of TTG’s revenue would have been from season passes which aren’t available on Xbox 360.

• Optimaximal says:

I may be wrong, but haven’t Telltale done the same for nearly every release? I remember the first Sam & Max had a 3-4 month delay between episodes 1 & 2, put down to getting up to speed on multiple episodes at once. I also think they did the same with S&M Season 2, Strong Bad and Tales of Monkey Island.

Regardless, yes, this outcry is ‘swimming with entitlement’ – It’s could be down to XBLA general release dates being Tuesday of a week. They could also be making sure their CDN can cope for the PC release, something it spectacularly failed to do for Episode 1, forcing them to give out Steam keys for preorders. Yes, they could probably release it to Steam now, but again, how is that fair for the non-Steam users.

In a nutshell, this may very well be simple logistical – Microsoft distribute the code to XBLA, so they can just plop it on their service, whereas the PC userbase is fragmented.

Also, it’s a two day window that means you’ve just got to stay off TTG’s forums for fear of spoilers. Heck, go play something else in your inevitable backlog.

• faelnor says:

You’re probably right about the Xbox deal, and that’s why it doesn’t bother me too much. Again, I think it is just icing on the cake.

But promising (it was in the FAQ until they changed it) a monthly release and then not doing it is, whatever the way people want to look at it, a minor form of false advertising which could have been easily mitigated with a bit more communication.

I admit I haven’t been following TTG’s behaviour with their recent releases. The only games I have from them are the original season Sam & Max which — I think — was released with a relatively timely schedule, and Strong Bad which I bought long after the season had ended.

Anyway, two days to go.

• robalypse says:

I think you’re throwing, “entitlement” around a little too liberally. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to expect a deal to be honored, and to expect equal treatment as a consumer especially when, by default you, are of the consumer group that had to pay more up front for a product.

The PC, including Steam, does not have a particular schedule release date for new releases. There is no reason in the interest of fairness to all parties, the game couldn’t have been released on the same date across all platforms. Yes, it’s only two days but it’s the principle. You don’t seem to be taking into consideration the fact that TellTale suggested at E3 that the game was being held up by XBL’s certificaiton process.

How is two days going to make a difference in whether TellTale’s servers are up to the stress of selling the game through their site? There are currently two channels through which PC gamers can get the game, I’d hardly call that “fragmented.”

• Stromko says:

From what I’ve read, the 2nd episode must have been done for awhile, since were having trouble getting it through X-Box certification a few weeks back. Telltale really just doesn’t seem to care. They could have kept their paying customers briefed on what’s going on and why there’s this huge delay on delivering what they paid for. Why is the PC version 2 additional days late? Because some guy in marketing thinks it will make them more money, somehow.

In the future I won’t be buying any Telltale products, no matter how good the reviews, until it’s all done and on sale.

5. Unrein says:

Strange, I never encountered any bugs on my playthrough of the first episode. The game was definitely a pleasant surprise, and I was even brought to the brink of tears (in a good way) at the end of the motel sequence.

6. Ravelle says:

@ Bhazor The affair business and drama stops quickly though, I won’t force you to keep reading but I highly recommend it.

7. SirKicksalot says:

The first episode was good (no wonder since it had Frank Darabont at the helm). It went downhill fast and I never bothered to watch the second series.
    World War Z did a fine job of explaining how the military can fail against hordes of zombies.

8. Hilden2000 says:

I got a score to settle with a sumnabitch named Larry.

9. andytizer says:

It’s been two months since episode one and they still haven’t patched in inverted camera controls yet: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Walking_Dead:_The_Game#No_Invert_Y-Axis_Option – disgraceful!

10. lordfrikk says:

Anyone knows how many episodes are planned?

11. Shortwave says:

I’m another one of those people who isn’t going to bother with this till’ every EP is done.
    I absolutely HATE, hate hate hate waiting to finish a story of any kind. : /
    But when that time comes, I’ll gladly buy this.

• Calabi says:

I’m betting you’ll be waiting a while they never usually finish these stories.

12. Demiath says:

From what I’ve seen of Day Z, there has definitely been enough talk about it already.

13. Njordsk says:

I read the title in the wrong way.

When I read “life”, “2″, “episode” I was about the shout “fuck yeah, at last”.

Then I realised. Curse you !

14. Grayvern says:

I understand where the ‘zombies are overdone’ refrain comes from but it’s the thing where unless you seek it out, or have friends who are those girls/guys it’s not really that bad.

It wasn’t really the bugs that stood out for me but the fact that the voice recording seemed to be; sub well produced podcast, in many cases.

15. josephsweet says:

Screw all the whiners. Gank their game privileges or something. Delay the next episode by an additional month for them only. I personally Can’t wait for the 29th.

• Stromko says:

Of course, because the customer is always wrong. Telltale shouldn’t make the slightest effort to cater to the people who buy their games. Not so much as a ‘Sorry, we’re delayed at least this long, and possibly longer’. No, they should just pretend like everything’s normal and let people think they’re all ready to roll out the next episode on time and let deadline after deadline pass.

On top of that, let’s make the icky PC users wait another 2 days, because they’re all pirates. That’s how their first few series of games, which didn’t come out on consoles, did so poorly that Telltale still employs people and is still making games.

16. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Nope. Praise it all you want. I’m not buying this until the entire thing is out, all five episodes. I can’t imagine watching some supposedly interesting story unfold for two hours and then having it go all “welp, come back in a month!” I’d die of frustration.