Dog Fight Dog: World Of Warplanes Has Modes

By Nathan Grayson on June 27th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

This is more or less what I imagine when people cut me off in traffic.

Whenever I see “World of Warplanes,” I always read it as “World of Warp Lanes.” I have no idea what a warp lane is, but I just wanted to share that with you. Anyway, World of Warplanes is rapidly making its way down the warp lane to completion, and – in order to make sure everything comes out just right - Wargaming.net is narrowing its focus to a few select modes. Specifically, the latest developer diary highlights Superiority (think team deathmatch with a point-controlling twist), Escort, and Training – in Russian. Do those things strike your fancy? They should. And if not, well, let me also remind you that this is a fantastic opportunity to watch some planes go boom.

As a fan of World of Tanks “semi-hardcore but definitely not a sim” approach, I’m really interested in seeing where this one goes. Also, Superiority sounds like an excellent central mode, given that it’s fairly simple, yet also more multifaceted than a garden variety match of propeller-based shooty shooty bang bang.

Right now, the other WoW (maybe not the best call in terms of Google-ability, Wargaming) is in closed beta. There’s currently no specific release date on the horizon, but you can write your name on the beta page – thus claiming it incontrovertibly as your own, unless someone else has licked it. Of course, you then have permission to tell on them, so it’s actually pretty balanced as far as metagames go.

, , , , , .

1. matty_gibbon says:

Came here just to see what new variation of WARFACE people had come up with and no one’s commented! PLUS (PLUSFACE, PUSSFACE) the tags have beaten us to it anyway. Ah, well.

2. Persona Jet Rev says:

I wonder if they’re going to link the three games (Tanks, Battleships, Warplanes) together at some point.

• Agrajag says:

Yes, yes yes yes! Yes! OMG that could be so awesome. Like ARMA only fun.

• Eynonz says:

The would also need a World of Infantry.

• Gameon says:

The service is already created, though I don’t know if it has much functionality at the moment, because only World of Tanks is available at the moment.

The page is called wargaming.net:

You can access the page also from the World of Planes link given in the article. You have to go to News and then to the “Global Gaming Service”

3. RPSRSVP says:

Warplanes gonna tank. They must be looking forward to selling $50 premium warplanes but it won’t work as well filling a niche as it did with WOT.

• The Random One says:

Calling it: if it happens, RPS will report on it with the headline ‘Tanks Fly, Planes Tank’

4. Eynonz says:

No RAF? What is this horror!?

• DarkFenix says:

Don’t hold your breath for that either, World of Tanks has been out for well over a year and we’ve only just seen mention of the British tanks from Wargaming.

amishmonster says:

Weirdly, there are a couple British tanks that show up as premium Soviet ones (Churchill, Matilda, maybe another?) But then they went and made a whole French tree for some reason, so who knows.

5. Nick says:

I feel its rather bad and flawed right down to its base mechanics, thus unfixable.

6. Caerphoto says:

Duel of the Planeswalkers

Plane Swalkers.

7. wsjudd says:

The game is really fun so far – not quite as polished yet as World of Tanks and some features aren’t implemented yet, but already I can tell it’ll appeal in just the same way as World of Tanks. Very much looking forward to the NDA being lifted so I can write about it in detail :)

8. Kollega says:

When i read how Nathan has no idea on what a Warp Lane is, the first thing that came to my mind was “IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE, THERE IS ONLY TRAFFIC CONTROL…”

And the second thing that came to my mind is that a Warp Lane is something that the United Federation of Planets uses to regulate FTL travel.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Warp 5 and below only in the left lane. Watch for Borg crossing. Next starbase: 40 Light Years – Food court, antimatter, gift shop, ask about our bulk pricing of security officers.

• Phantoon says:

Oh man, that’s good, because I used them all to take over this Hydran Carrier that I’m currently commanding from.

• Baines says:

Reminds me of when Star Trek The Next Generation tried to do an environmental storyline tied to faster than light travel.

They found out that warp travel caused minor damage to the fabric of the universe or something, which became serious when travel was repeated over the same path for decades or centuries. Basically, the warp lanes became warp ruts, and then warp OMG We’re All Gonna Die. Then the episode ended with new guidelines for reduced warp travel in the future, and the Star Trek universe promptly ignored the idea ever since.

9. Wertymk says:

Didn’t Freelancer have warp lanes? Or something lanes? WARLANES.

10. Lev Astov says:

So from that it sounds like they’ll launch the game with superiority mode only, and then just like WoT, completely forget about any other game modes.

It’s a shame, as I was really looking forward to escort and ground attack missions.

amishmonster says:

WoT introduced two other game modes in the latest patch; unfortunately, they’re both terribly imbalanced at the moment.

11. dontnormally says: