Spec Ops Dev Diary Shows More Grisly Business

By Jim Rossignol on June 27th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

Spec Ops‘ handsomely bearded writing lead, Walt Williams, talks about the personalities that make up Spec Ops: The Line’s team – both player and non-player characters – in a new development diary installment, which you can see below. Williams claims that the moral choices in the game are “about holding up a mirror to yourself”, which in my case would reveal a tired-looking man with a serious head-cold and a dire need of a haircut. I am not sure what that says about my morals, but I suppose I could do with looking in a mirror once in a while.

Anyway, clickwards for what might be a bit of a spoilery dev diary. Mr Meer is playing Spec Ops: The Line RIGHT NOW for his ultimate verdict.

I’m actually fairly intrigued by this. I know it’s just another grimdark desert manshoot, but between the noises Alec is making as he plays, and the interview with the team that we previously ran, I think this might be worth a visit to that territory.

, , .

1. Echo Black says:

Isn’t this game being over-covered or something? This is like the millionth news item about it, and there were a plethora of interviews. Seems odd to see the RPS writers so attracted to what seems (to me, at a glance) to be a relatively generic, “safe” shooter.

• Brun says:

Not really. Examples of over-coverage from RPS’ (recent) past:

Diablo III
      Deus Ex: Human Revolution
      Skyrim

• woodsey says:

I’m not entirely sure that three of the biggest PC releases from the past year are the best examples to use if you want to talk about ‘over-coverage’ because… well, duh.

Or what either of you expect them to do if new information/videos/interview opportunities come about.

• Brun says:

I selected those examples subjectively. Basically they’re titles for which there were a higher-than-average number of articles written. They’re also games that had articles that made me think, “Man, is that really news?” Things like having a full-up articles every time a new mod for Skyrim came out or every time the servers went down for Diablo.

• Echo Black says:

The RPS staff has more than once made a point to remind people it’s a blog (at least first and foremost) and not a “news site”, so asking what I “expect them to do if new information/videos/interview opportunities come about” is nonsensical – They don’t post it just because it’s new, they post it because it caught their eye.

That, and the volume of coverage this game is getting, leads me to believe that the RPS writers, are, indeed, greatly interested by this muddy, stale-looking desert shooter that nobody will talk about after it gets released, ever. Different strokes I guess. Yuck

• Brun says:

Never said I had a problem with their coverage of those topics, “over-coverage” is probably the wrong word. Just pointing out that there are games that have received substantially more coverage than this one.

• Echo Black says:

I quoted woodsey, sorry if it looked like I was addressing you

• woodsey says:

Right, so by your own logic, whatever they’re most interested in goes. So they can’t ‘over-cover’ anything.

• SirKicksalot says:

The word “generic” doesn’t mean anything anymore.

• Totally heterosexual says:

From what i haerd this actually a good story based shooter.

Always nice to have.

• dontnormally says:

Yes, it is being over-covered.
      Yes, it is their prerogative to do so if they choose to.
      Yes, it actually looks like it could be quite good.

• Echo Black says:

It’s very odd that it’s tickling RPS’s fancy so intensely, though. This interest, tons of news items and coverage, all over some “we show the horrors of war/no john YOU are the demons” hype? It still looks like a run of the mill TPS to me, and I’ll eat crow if that’s not exactly what it ends up being

drewski says:

See, that’s what I thought it was too, and so I’ve been completely ignoring it, but in the last week I’ve had Eurogamer, PC Gamer UK and RPS all go “WAIT IT’S NOT LIKE THAT AS MUCH AS YOU THINK” and so now suddenly I’m interested.

I think they have utterly, utterly fouled the marketing on this – generic CoD clone seems to be the PR, but that seems to be pretty misleading.

Given that there’s so little interest in the comments, I wonder if this isn’t a case of PR ruining the chances of a game actually selling.

• MistyMike says:

It’s a literati kind of shooter, with the story inspired by Heart of Darkness. That alone makes it stand out among its peers. So I think our Editors have a good idea here.

2. dontnormally says:

Brown Guns 4: Future Black Prequel of War

3. SkittleDiddler says:

I’m really tempted to take advantage of Get Games’ pre-order offer for Spec Ops: 25% off with an upgrade to the FUBAR pack and a free copy of Duke Nukem Forever.

But then I’m also really tempted to remember what happens every time I pre-order a game. I get royally screwed over and inevitably feel ripped off.

4. ocelot113 says:

Wanted to let the old school PC gamers know:

***KICKSTARTER – GROUND BRANCH*** Creators of original GHOST RECON, RAINBOW SIX, and SWAT 4. They need your support to get this game going. Only 9 days left! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/670743543/ground-branch?ref=card

5. zerosociety says:

I’m not finished with it, but so far it’s actually a decent story-based manshooter. The characters are more engaging then any other manshooter I’ve played since Bad Company 2.

It reminds me a lot of Max Payne 2, honestly in that it’s a decent runandgun game which isn’t about running and gunning. So far it has done a good job of showing some real horror without seeming too exploitative. No. “Lol, rivers of blood, lol!

And it’s provided a few good scares, too. Visually it reminds me a lot of Bulletstorm, though in general is comes off as Call of Duty + Bioshock.

I also really like the unobtrusive bullettime mechanic.

Where I stand now, if it can stick the landing, it might hold up as a cult game. Or just another interesting failure. But I’ll take flawed and interesting any day over perfect and risk-free.

jrodman says:

When I look at that lead-in image, my first thought is “nice ass”. Am I doing this right? Are the artists doing this right?

Goodtwist says:

I know I’m reiterating but guys, developers, please, listen. To your PC users who played your demo.

Fix the controls. It’s wobby as your grandma’s English pudding.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I personally think the controls in single-player are pretty tight, but the MP controls make me want to tear my hair out. It’s like playing drunk.

8. LastMutant says:

I am so looking forward to finally play this game!
    just ordered it from mooga and is now installing ;)