Calm Before The: ShootMania Storm Beta Approaches

By Nathan Grayson on June 28th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Something feels out of place here, but I can't put my finger on exactly what...

It’s been a good week for mania. Pyromania got things started in truly asylum-worthy style, and now ShootMania‘s filling the middle of our week with intrigue. And lasers. More specifically, Nadeo’s DIY FPS is gunning for a closed beta in “early July,” and registration just opened up. The window will slam shut on July 2, but there’s a good reason for that: “Every player who has registered for the beta on the official site will receive a 7-day beta key,” notes the website, which talks about itself in the third-person. Also, yeah, beta access only lasts seven days. Bummer. But don’t let that disintegrate the smile from your face. Instead, watch techno Tron people disintegrate the smiles from each other’s faces (and, you know, their faces and also all of them) after the break.

Putting aside the fact that there was nothing stylish about that at all, looks like fun, doesn’t it? And while the beta only has a few lonely grains of sand in its hourglass, it’s certainly not at a lack for modes. Joust, Elite, and Siege sound like size-based variations on TDM, while Melee’s just a fancy word for deathmatch. Battle, though, is TDM with “no size restrictions,” and Royal is a free-for-all “with the dome over the map shrinking.” And then there’s Time Attack, which is apparently perfect for training.

So not the wildest mode selection ever or anything, but presumably conducive to some fairly hectic skill-based shooting. As for map selection and whether or not players will have access to ShootMania’s vaunted creation tools, I haven’t the foggiest. But I’ve mailed Ubisoft about it, so hopefully we’ll know soon.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Vexing Vision says:

I am so, so looking forward to this… actually less so for the shooty bits, and more so for the designy bits. Those landscapes look gorgeous, I can’t wait to see what they did with the editor this time.

• EhsanKia says:

Really? I’m personally really excited to finally see some more competitive fast paced FPS like this or Tribes Ascend. Good old Quake 3 days.

• PopeJamal says:

It’s probably just my old man disease flaring up, but if it were still 1997, I’d be really excited about this. Now, not so much.

It looks like a high quality product, but I can’t help but feel that it’s really no different than when I was shooting men in the face 15 years ago. Now, the only pleasure I get from shooting men in the face is shooting the ones that won’t stay off my lawn.

Damn kids…

2. raptorak says:

Interesting to see the Quake 3/Live professional gamers playing there, although seems more of a publicity stunt rather than the game actually being good. This looks like Quake Live with better graphics and environments.

• MD says:

It’s not very Quake-y at this stage. No item pickups, and so far only two guns, of which you have access to only one at any given time.

• Makikou says:

3 Guns, Railgun, Rockets, Nucleus (Grenade Launcher sort of.)

• MD says:

Ooh, I didn’t know about the Nucleus. I’d love to see a few more additions, does anyone know how much change is planned before release?

• Phasma Felis says:

Wasn’t there an arrow launcher somewhere?

• MrMud says:

Its certainly working. Seeing Fazz, Fox and Noctis on there certainly made me pay attention more than I had previously.

3. BULArmy says:

I bought Trackmania 2 recently and I am pleased that I finally did that. But it is not even a year after release and the game is pretty much dead. Under 100k bought the game overall and in the evenings there are under 10 servers with 10+ people in them. The lack of version on Steam, other online platforms and retail can doom the whole idea of TM,SM,QM. I am looking forward to Shootmania, but the strategy for distributing is wrong and with the total lack of promotion from Ubisoft, I hope that those games will not be dead little over a year after their release.

• Vexing Vision says:

On the other hand, Trackmania Nations and Unlimited still see a billion (I exaggerate, not knowing the actual numbers) players online. The lack of environments made Trackmania 2 a still-birth – it’s a great, enjoyable game, but Canyon has always been my least-favourite environment by far, and it lacks too many other modes.

Shootmania and Questmania I think are here to stay.

• Makikou says:

Playing TM2 actively, there are currently servers with +30 people on because ET-Generation has started a new competition, The Giant Cup 1

• BULArmy says:

Can you give me more info on that?

• Makikou says:

Click the link? It’s a solo-cup so there’s no teams and many of the best players are attending. It’s played online.

4. Grey_Ghost says:

My new videos on Youtube got spammed with this game a few weeks ago by TotalBiscuit. I watched 3 of them, and nothing about this game interested me in the slightest. I’m not sure if that makes me odd, or if the game is just for a niche audience.

• MD says:

Probably a niche audience, but the worry is whether they’ll even do well within that niche. They’re marketing SM as an e-sport, but a lot of the people who desperately want a good fast-paced competitive FPS are sceptical to say the least.

5. MD says:

I’m not expecting this to fill the Quake-shaped hole in my heart, but I’m still cautiously enthusiastic. It’s fast, it’s unrealistic, it even has some kind of movement system. First thing I need to know is how well it runs on ageing PCs, though.

6. The First Door says:

I’m looking forward to this, but does anyone know if they’ve made it easier to share maps, yet? The level editor in Canyon was brilliant, but it lacked any good way of getting them out there!

• Makikou says:

The good way for TM2 is http://www.mania-exchange.com
      Same for SM i *think* ;)

• The First Door says:

Thanks, that’s great! That does look a lot better than it used to. Back nearer release it was all a bit broken from what I remember. I’ll have to go upload the track I made ages ago then.

7. mikmanner says:

I love how pure this game looks.

8. misterT0AST says:

I saw pretty much the whole shootmania tournament on Youtube. It was very fun to watch.
    I can’t wait to force two of my friends to install this and get owned over and over while blaming eachother for our defeat.