Dishonored Notices How Murdery You Are

By John Walker on June 28th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

Tsk, sex in games, etc.

Dishonored news keeps rumbling in, today’s in the form of 22 minutes worth of two new videos formerly for secrets at E3, including the information that your death toll during the game will directly affect the story, including the ending. Because murdering is naughty.

You get to see the same level – The Golden Cat – played twice, first stealthily, second like a gun-mad loon. Do you infiltrate with violence, or by possessing fish? It’s that age-old question that nags at us all. There’s also a bunch of footage in the second video that shows some really impressive fight scenes with the Tall Boys.

The video explains that the experience is pretty unique to you, not just based on how violent you choose to be, but also the selection of powers you pick, and the routes you take through each level. With the three combined, a second play through seems inevitable.

So, well watch the videos, dummy.

Blimey, that heart is disturbing. And how great is it to hear those Thief-like “Hmmm huh hmmm huh hmmmmmmm” guard mumbles? Also, is there anyone in the world who doesn’t have a big want on for this?

It’s still set for an October release, but the Walker Principle says this can’t be true.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MistyMike says:

Ahh, any good game needs a brothel level.

2. obie191970 says:

I don’t care if this looks like Ken Levine and Gabe Newell got together and spawned a child. The game looks beyond awesome.

• HisMastersVoice says:

You do realize that would be as close to the second coming of Christ as we could get without all the boiling seas and rains of blood thing going on?

• HothMonster says:

” this looks like Ken Levine and Gabe Newell got together and spawned”

“[this] looks beyond awesome”

No need to be so redundant.

• Jason Moyer says:

It looks like someone took the creators of the 2 best immersive sims of the past 15 years and had them make a game together. *looks up Deus Ex and Arx Fatalis on mobygames* Oh, wait.

• obie191970 says:

It’s amazing when you go through the list of people working on this game. I’ve yet to see one person in a lead position that doesn’t have Deus, Arx, Bioshock or HL2 in their previous credits.

• hosndosn says:

I care very much that it looks like Ken Levine and Gabe Newell spawned a child. That’s what’s so frickin’ awesome about it.

3. Quarex says:

Well, I certainly did not have any interest in this from the comparisons to the Thief series, since I never understood what people found appealing about games where “avoiding the action” is the goal.

But since watching this video makes the game look more like Steampunk Deus Ex, which now means I, too, am super-excited about it.

• Scythe says:

For me, and many like me, “avoiding the action” is a more enjoyable, better refined form of action in itself. It’s akin to sipping a nice scotch rather than chugging cheap beer. You get the same high from successfully timing your movement with a guard’s patrol route as you do from whooping while clicking on men-heads to put bullets into them.

• Fincher says:

Does that make you sophisticated though?

• eclipse mattaru says:

How can you ask that? It’s classy! Like the opening of a car dealership. Or Mr. Peanut.

• Scythe says:

Depending on the game, maybe. A straight-up shoot-’em-dead with good enemy AI, environmental interaction and a range of weapons can be as sophisticated as a good stealth game, but there’s more headroom for compex gameplay when you aren’t asking the player to make split-second decisions every split-second.

• Xardas Kane says:

According to Wiki:

Dishonored leads: Ricardo Bare, Harvey Smith, Raphaël Colantonio
      Deus Ex leads: Warren Spector, Harvey Smith

See the connection? :P

• Claidheamh says:

I’m currently playing through Thief Gold (and boy, did it age well!) and I can tell you that avoiding fights is probably the best thrill I’ve experienced in a game. I sincerely recommend you try it. It’s 10$ on gog, and it’s worth every penny (I’ve been playing for two weeks pretty regularly and I’m still not even at half point).

• treat says:

The thing I’ve struggled with in Deus Ex:HR (I still haven’t finished it) is how there seems to be almost no repercussions for, and very little plot continuity between how atrociously violent or pacifistic you choose to be. Ergo, a maddening sense of moral ambiguity that finds you trying to balance an act between running and gunning and sneaking around, just to find in subsequent dialog that Adam isn’t responding to or reminiscing over details of the recent past in the way you felt he would have at the time. “Real, tangible consequences” for being a nasty bitch in a game is something a lot of developers find easy to claim, but I’ll reserve my skepticism until I see it done right.

• LionsPhil says:

The “notice how murdery you are” claim here reminded me of DX1, which is always a good thing. It may have fallen off as you got further into that game, but the comments of your UNATCO colleagues (and JC himself) in regard to how thoroughly violent you were were excellent touches.

(Hopefully the triggers will be less shakey this time.)

4. caddyB says:

DO I GET TO MURDER THE WHORES?

I mean, is it possible to use lethal force while dealing with the naughty girls who live and work in a brothel complex?

• Ross Angus says:

One of them gets tranked in the first video. But Jesus, man. Take a long hard look in the mirror first.

• misterT0AST says:

Take a long look in the mirror, smile and check for spinach leaves in your teeth.
        You’re going to want to look dashing while you murder them prostitutes.

• Kynrael says:

I think one of them gets shot in the second video too. That’s when he explicitly says you can kill anyone, but there are consequences.

• caddyB says:

When I look at the mirror I see a man who likes making jokes.

• Muzman says:

He wouldn’t be alone in any case. There’s a playthrough from some French E3-like convention where the guy murders the innocent prozzies left and right; burned, stabbed, choked and fed to a hoard of rats. The crowd sounds like they’re about to piss themselves with delight. It’s kind of creepy.
        I’m not one to say games make people violent, but I still want to check the basements and freezers of gamers some times.

• Eddy9000 says:

That’s the thing about non-linear gaming, no-one made you do what you did so it’s up to you to think about why you did it.

• edit says:

Considering the game mechanics, the objectives, that the player character is specifically designed as an assassin, and the tag-line is bloody “revenge solves everything”, there’s pretty strong encouragement for the player to kill stuff. This isn’t exactly the game to argue that peaceful and violent action are equal player choices. The player choice available doesn’t cover the spectrum between violence and non-violence, but just the scale of the violence. Increased player freedom is lovely, but lets not pretend this isn’t first and foremost a murder-sim.

I guess we could say, though, that the thing about non-linear reality is that no-one made you buy the game so it’s up to you to think about why you did.

Personally I’m absolutely sick of drawing digital blood for kicks. It just helps make violence seem a more and more normal solution to problems in the real world. As curious as I may have been about the simulation aspect of the game, I won’t be playing it. It’s all just innocent fun and games to most of our hazy media-addled brains, but since I’ve actually started giving it serious thought, I feel that taking pleasure from simulations of violence reinforces a flippant attitude towards real-world violence and is an insult to those suffering at the hands of it. It comes pretty damn close to making us complicit in it.

Feel free to disagree. I’m not judging anyone. I’ve spent hundreds of hours in shooters in the past like the next guy. Gaming in general is a huge part of my life, I’m just another gamer. It’s just that I started paying closer attention to my conscience and, in accordance with the perspective I arrived at, taking responsibility for what I support with my time and cash. Now this game and many others just look like hateful crap to me.

• Eddy9000 says:

“lets not pretend this isn’t first and foremost a murder-sim.”

Apart from the bit where you can complete the game without killing anyone, even your targets?

I do take your point that choices are limited, violence is rewarded with satisfying gameplay mechanics and as someone who completed skyrim on a pacifist run even I thought that the swordplay in the trailer looked very enticing. But lets not forget that killing is a choice in this game, and it seems like playing non-lethally has also been implemented as a rewarding mechanic. So while you can’t choose to sack off being an avatar of revenge and go play crazy golf for a bit, you are given a choice in how to complete your objective.

• edit says:

Fair point. I did jump to some conclusions after having seen some gameplay but not watching or reading everything about the game. I was mostly provoked to post because the idea that the player has free choice and is the one responsible for the in-game violence seems to make light of the clear focus on it in the game’s development. It looks like a lot of work has gone into making the violence in this game ‘satisfying’. The vast majority of people who play it, whether or not they are inclined towards violent choices in life, will engage in violence in this game due to its nature. If the player really had free choice they would choose whether or not to enter into conflict with these ‘targets’ in the first place. This isn’t an open sandbox like minecraft, but a guided experience with a plot about taking out targets.

I appreciate that there are options here, but I’m really wishing more developers would try to make games of this quality and depth which don’t revolve around conflict with an “enemy”. There are other stories to tell, other ways to engage an audience, other ways to approach life.

• Xzi says:

Oh please, let’s not get into this discussion. There’s a name for people who can’t distinguish media fiction from reality. They’re called psychiatric hospital patients. And if you’re suggesting that media fiction might somehow be altering your perceptions of reality, then you might want to consider checking yourself in. Because quite honestly, at that point, video games are the least of your worries.

• edit says:

Why do people pick up accents when living in a country they weren’t born in? Is it because they can’t distinguish between the way they talk and the way other people talk? No. It’s because everything we perceive has an effect on us. Every experience writes memory to the brain, impacts on the continuing change of our neural pathways. Neuroplasticity. Recurring experiences or experience types reinforce certain patterns, while new experiences may change or replace old ones. What do you think practice is? We get better at something through repetition because those structures are being ever more deeply ingrained in the very wiring of our brains and nervous system.

The belief that media has no impact on our thinking is utterly delusional. Give some thought to the mechanisms of propaganda or advertising, why they exist and how they have any capacity to do anything. Consider the nature of education, or discipline, and how repetitive exposure to certain ideas or instructions can cause them to ‘sink in’ over time. Consider that actively participating in an activity greatly accelerates learning over simply hearing or seeing it. Consider the increased susceptibility to influence of the brain when in trance-like states.

Now consider that games are the ultimate melting pot of all of those things. The player is actively seeking that trance-like state of being ‘engrossed’, while actively participating in the action, and usually repeating the same kinds of actions over and over and over, often in multiple games and for hundreds of hours over a number of years. Games have no impact on the mind? Please.

You think “distinguishing media from reality” represents your sanity, but I hate to break it to you.. Media is a part of reality too. Your brain doesn’t care if the experience you’re having is digital or physical. It’s still an experience.

5. thestage says:

lets harp on non violence and then make our game about an assassin

6. Moni says:

I think it’s interesting that the completely non-lethal option is a fate worse than death.

It would be funny if the most “good guy” path would be to go around killing as many people as possible; while being a pacifist leaves everyone completely miserable.

• kament says:

Miserable, but alive. Which is always better than dead, because if you can’t stand it, you can end it. But if you’re dead, there’s nothing you can do about that.

7. povu says:

Damn you Walker Principle, this time I really hope you’re wrong.

• LTK says:

The Walker Principle isn’t universally an undesirable thing, you know. Just when Ubisoft is involved.

8. MommaB says:

Funny thing, pretty much the only way I start murdering people when roleplaying is when there’s serious consequences

• caddyB says:

Yeah, I try not to kill anyone as long as nobody asks me to not kill anyone.

9. Toberoth says:

Bloody hell, this looks spiffing! Slightly concerned about the way lean works–guards can’t see you even if you’re leaning right up in their grills–but perhaps that was just an easier setting for the demonstration.

• Toberoth says:

The melee looks great too!

• KenTWOu says:

Slightly concerned about the way lean works–guards can’t see you even if you’re leaning right up in their grills…

If you talked about stealth walkthrough (7:45), his hands was very dark, so he was hiding in the shadows. If you talked about violent walkthrough (1:45), it seems like guards’ field of view is very narrow during conversations with each other.

Anyway, Dishonored has slightly different shadow/light system than Thief or Splinter Cell. Its shadows are never dark enough that the player completely disappears into them.

10. felisc says:

argh i want this game. now.

11. Oneironaut says:

I haven’t been following this game, but these videos look great.

My biggest concern is the quest markers. I hope there’s a way to disable them so that you have to listen to the conversations and use that info to find the room they’re talking about.

• ShrikeMalakim says:

From what I saw, the actual quest markers didn’t appear until the player HAD overheard, or read, the locations of his targets.

• Runs With Foxes says:

I think they’ve said you can turn off almost all the UI stuff if you want.

12. LionsPhil says:

IT HAS LEANING! :D

• kud13 says:

this automatically makes it better than DXHR

• KenTWOu says:

DXHR has city hubs. This automatically makes it better than Dishonored.

• Xzi says:

Both of these things are irrelevant. What makes Dishonored (tentatively) better than DXHR is the fact that it has a story and endings which shape around the player’s actions. I threw up in my mouth a little when I reached the end of DXHR and had to pick from A, B, or C.

What the hell is the point of playing passive if I could have just murdered half the game world and chosen the passive ending anyway? It’s basically spitting in the players’ face.

• KenTWOu says:

What makes Dishonored (tentatively) better than DXHR is the fact that it has a story and endings which shape around the players actions

Actually DXHR ending also considers your actions and use different phrases during the final cut-scene. Anyway, ending is irrelevant too, especially when you know nothing about Dishonored ending at this point. In fact any single feature is irrelevant.

No, it’s not. You just change your views during the game. You was a chaotic person.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Truly a videogaming revolution.

• Muzman says:

HR also has aggressively mediocre stealth (for what is essentially a stealth game)
            Dishonored seems a lot more detailed at this point (geez i hope so. it’s time we had an upgrade)

• KenTWOu says:

Dishonored seems a lot more detailed at this point…

I think, It’s a fact already! Although DXHR stealth was more polished than Deus Ex stealth.

• Muzman says:

Yeah well, that’s not much of an achievement ten years on. It didn’t essentially improve on Thief 2 let alone Deadly Shadows. Deus Ex 1 at least has an excuse since it’s more of a kitchen sink game and stealth wasn’t the focus to anything like the same degree as HR.

• strifecross says:

Dishonored has a central hub and 12 different areas. Pretty sure it beats HR.

• LionsPhil says:

The fact it doesn’t have Squeenix pissing all over the writing automatically makes it better than DHXR.

13. Turkey says:

Wow. Did they kidnap back the sound design guy who left Looking Glass to start Harmonix? I was half expecting Garrett to start speaking through the whole thing.

• Turkey says:

Also, Fuck you, Nick Breckon.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Some day we’ll Greg LoPiccolo and Eric Brosius to make an immersive sim again…

14. TrueBlueGamer says:

Man, I was already exited for this game, but now, after watching that power combo at 04:32, I’m completely blown away.

15. cjlr says:

As potentially great as this looks, I don’t know if I can support poor spelling by buying it at release. I might have to wait for a substantial drop first.

16. Shooop says:

Did anyone else notice you could jump on top of just about anything anywhere even without the teleportation ability?

That does it, I’m sold.

17. hosndosn says:

IMO, we can stop worrying. It is as good as we all hoped. Continues the proud tradition of System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex. And about time it was!

18. eclipse mattaru says:

“is there anyone in the world who doesn’t have a big want on for this?”

Well, now I do have one, but really, this game suffered from the shittiest marketing campaign I’ve seen in my life. It’s due in like 2 days and only *now* we’re finally seeing a video that actually shows something useful about how the game plays.

Anyway, late though it is, the video does show quite a handful, and it looks (and sounds) like mean-spirited fun aplenty, so yay and whatnot. I’m especially intrigued by how slick the hand-to-hand combat would seem to be. Good melee in first person is a really rare thing and by the looks of it these guys nailed it. Frankly, I don’t know why they haven’t been spamming us to hell and back with videos like this one for months, it was as if they were ashamed or something. THERE’S NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF IN THIS VIDEO, GUYS, IT LOOKS AMAZING!

That said, pretty please, with sugar on top, tell me those hideous yellow highlights in doors and objects can be turned off. They’ re already retarded enough as a concept, did they also have to make they so flat-out UGLY?

• KenTWOu says:

Strongly disagree!

First of all, you can saw these gameplay videos partially during E3. For example, this is gameplay part of E3 Gamespot coverage. As you can see, it’s almost the same stuff.
      The second, if you read different interviews with Raf and Harvey, they already explained almost everything you need to know about the game a half year ago. And such openness is a rare thing IMO.
      The third, Sneaky Bastards wrote incredible preview of stealth systems a month ago.

TL;DR it sounds like you live under a rock : )

• Muzman says:

Sadly, the gruesome, violent pandering we have mostly seen from it so far seems to be a wise move. It’s at least in keeping with the usual marketing truism: Stealth doesn’t sell unless you pepper it with wholesale bloody murder.
      No one wants to see how detailed your AI is, how reactive the world is, how many points of entry, ways to play, how immersive it is (he points out the sound propagates through connected spaces like it’s a thing that’s not 15yrs old! They know the only people who care about that stuff are Thief fans).
      Get to the stabbing!

From the little details you can pick up from time to time (like the side plot of selling the slavers into slavery) I’m optimistic that this game is more Count of Monte Cristo than they are letting on right now.
      But intelligence doesn’t sell. Throat stabbing and burning whores does.

• KenTWOu says:

No one wants to see how detailed your AI is, how reactive the world is….

It’s worth mentioning that violent walkthrough took 5 minutes while stealth took 12 minutes. 12 minutes! It’s really hard to demonstrate stealth especially for casual crowd.

• Xzi says:

Very true. Especially so in the case of a multiplat game. And since PC exclusive singleplayer-only games are essentially an extinct species, games with great stealth/alternate route availability that don’t market it, or at least don’t focus their marketing on it, are the best we can hope for.

Like this and Watch Dogs.

• ElvisNeedsBoats says:

AI didn’t seem that reactive. He throws a guard off the side of a building while another guard below watches with disinterest. Meanwhile flintlock pistols are thundering away in the mansion yet each guard is surprised to be attacked (slowly drawing their weapons with backs turned I may add).

Although it was annoying in NOLF to be detected and have everyone after you, it was more realistic for everyone to be on alert and for no one to give up looking for you until you are dead.

Nerdy nitpicking aside, I would like to play this game.

• KenTWOu says:

AI didn’t seem that reactive.

Because he chose normal difficulty level. You can see it here. Enemies are more perceptive on hard difficulty and they have keen perceptions on very hard.

• LionsPhil says:

It does look like the object highlighting is only to show the thing you’re currently pointing at, rather than the “our visual design is such a cluttered mess that we had to highlight all the usable things”. It’s just a different effect to SS2/DX1′s big bracket corners.

• lordcooper says:

Actually, there are over a hundred days. This is significantly more than two days.

19. abandonhope says:

I think what makes me happiest about Dishonored is that the lead designer of Arx Fatalis is getting some well deserved recognition and the opportunity to work on something high profile.

20. FFabian says:

I’m slightly confused by the Possession power. It’s more like shape changing as you don’t project your mind inside the target and leave your body behind, right?

Possession and Blink seem slightly overpowered.

• Xzi says:

“Overpowered” isn’t something that really applies to a singleplayer-only game. They designed the game world and AI with the understanding that the player has access to these abilities.

And yeah, possession seems to teleport you as a whole into another person/animal. I guess you take on an ethereal form.

• Sassenach says:

Imbalance can still apply to singleplayer games if there is an intended level of resistance the player should be facing. It’s not always the case that enforcing such is the best choice though. I know morrowind has some complaints about being too exploitable (finishing in 8 minutes or somesuch) and that Oblivion and Skyrim clamped down on some of the more potent options, but I quite liked the capacity for godlike power being there and missed it in the sequels.

So in regards to overpowered abilities, I think relying on players to refrain from using anything they think makes the game too easy is better then being too restrictive in terms of what’s available.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s worth paying attention to his health bar during the less-subtle playthrough, and how many healing potions he burns. It looks like even on normal, the difficulty is set such that powerful powers are needed because without them combat isn’t sustainable.

And that’s fine. Crysis wasn’t spoilt because your magical nanosuit was overpowered vs the Koreans’ body armour.

• FFabian says:

I’m concerned because I like a challenge when playing but lack decent self-control when the game makes it too easy for me to exploit powers/features/weapons that are too good/fun/creative to ignore.

• Xzi says:

I’m the same way. Which is why I’d recommend playing on hard the first time through. “Normal” for modern games is what easy was for the PSX and back.

I’m sure it’ll provide plenty of challenge for those who request it.

• Snidesworth says:

According to the devs Possession’s effectiveness is limited depending on what you’re jumping into. Possessing a rat or a fish will let you run around for ages, but possessing a person will have you working with a notable limited amount of time. With the most powerful stuff like Tallboys the length of time you can possess them is supposed to be pretty limited.

I also imagine that you can upgrade the Possession power to make it more effective. Possessing other people might even be off limits at its lowest level.

21. bigjig says:

FOV looks terrible on this, hopefully it’s adjustable for the PC version. Other than that it’s looking pretty good – the stealth gameplay kind of reminds me of Thief.

• strifecross says:

PC has extensive settings for everything including FOV. All the gameplay we’ve seen has been on Xbox 360.

22. Contrafibularity says:

I pre-ordered this back in 2002.

23. Contrafibularity says:

I hope a lot of those HUD elements (or rather the on-screen “indicators” and stuff) can be toggled on/off in the settings of the PC version, and I would assume they’ve got things like FOV covered (given we’re in a post BioShock FOV-debacle world, lol).

Looks so damn good, I can’t wait.

24. Mr.Dreadlock says:

Overall it looked good but I didn’t like that blink power. It felt somehow lazy and cheap. It’s going to be hard to resist temptation and slowly sneak through level insead of just blink, blnik, blink.
    Point is, all the fun lies in this slowly sneaking approach.

• Shooop says:

I’d imagine the guards would notice you if you kept blinking everywhere all the time instead of at least waiting until they’re not looking.

Someone will undoubtedly make a speed run video of them doing nothing but that. But that’s the beauty of the game’s design – the developers want you to do whatever the hell you want instead of “fixing exploits” by putting a wall in the way or something.

• Hidden_7 says:

It’s hard to tell in this demo, since you can see that they are spamming mana potions pretty aggresively (watch the blue bar, and how many times they pause to refill it) but I get the feeling that in the real game all these abilities will be far more of a limited resource than we’re seeing in these demonstrations meant to show off all the nifty features.

Obviously, there’s no idea how the balance of the game is going to work before it actually comes out, but I don’t think it’s going to be exactly what we seen in demos so far.

• strifecross says:

Not only is the player upgraded to max in the demos, but you misunderstand why Blink is a ‘free’ ability. This actually defeats one of the biggest problems with stealth games and that’s pacing. Blink makes Dishonored in a fast paced Thief and not just that spell helps out.

25. Ian says:

Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood.

26. The Dark One says:

Well, this was certainly a lot better than the teaser trailer they’d given us before, which seemed to be comprised of 57 two-second shots of different NPCs being stabbed in the neck.

27. scatterbrainless says:

Are we finally up to being disappointed by DXHR? Finally, I felt so alone being deeply apathetic towards that game. “Choose one of three paths through a level” then “Choose one of three endings” really isn’t what I mean by DX-style emergent choice. Regarding Dishonoured, I’m not sure about the trailers, but the interviews with Raph and Harvey and their concerns with concepts like “invisible values” give me a warm feeling that other people assure me is called “hope”

• Runs With Foxes says:

You weren’t alone. And I was worse than apathetic towards it.

• Shooop says:

I thought it was a good game, but I definitely didn’t think it was the end-all. What killed it for me was not being able to romp around the entire cities you visited. And every level felt like it you had to play by specific rules to get through, even though there were plenty of rules for flexibility.

28. Trashcanman says:

I’m getting a real nice Deus Ex and Thief vibe from this one. Looking very much forward to this.

29. Totally heterosexual says:

Well since hitman is going into the “latex nuns with rocket launchers” direction, this looks like a true gentelmans murder sim.

Me likes.

30. Telekinesis says:

This game is ridiculously like Bioshock my goodness, the steampunkyness, the oldetime dystopian nature, the quotes all over the walls. The way your hands look and move casting the spells is nearly identical and they just showed how you collect Eve – I mean runes and they upgrade your powers …exactly like Bioshock.

• LionsPhil says:

Warhammer 40K is such a ripoff of Starcraft guys!!!

• Telekinesis says:

Don’t know what you’re trying to say as everyone knows it’s the other way around. Are you trying to suggest that Dishonored did it first or something, like they flew back in time? That’s the only possible way or context in which your comment could make any sense.

Forgot to add another thing, the art style is near identical too, slightly stylized, even the shading and lighting look similar ..and hey lookie it’s the same Unreal engine being used. It actually looks more like Bioshock:Infinite in the art style in the faux cell shading.

I was just reading about this and Arkane says they took some inspiration from Bioshock, well duh. Seems like they took a bit from Half Life 2 as well.

Edit: Yep Arkane worked on Bioshock 2 and the art director worked on HL2.

31. Geen says:

Holy shit, this is DeusShock-Life Solid. I want this game

32. onodera says:

This gameplay video has made me more excited about Dishonored than any other upcoming game, but after watching the video of the first Thief 3 level I found the brothel level rather small in its scope. You’ve got just four goals: get in, get the location, kill Pendleton #1, kill Pendleton #2. I got a feeling there was nothing else in the brothel. I will miss the loot requirement that made you experience the level in its entirety.

• JackShandy says:

It’s unfortunate, but levels are getting smaller as time marches on. It’s harder to make levels, so they get smaller. I think even Warren Spector said he couldn’t make Deus Ex today, because back then you could whip up a level outline in an afternoon. (Might be misquoting).

33. aethereal says:

I wonder if you can play non-sneaky without killing anyone, ala Trigun (I’m sure someone knows what I’m talking about)