Future Imperfect: Ubi Working On Ghost Recon Issues

By Nathan Grayson on June 28th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

We can only hope this won't derail the hopes of the hotly anticipated prequel, 'Back To The Future, Soldier'.

When some players report that keyboard and mouse don’t work with their PC game, you know you’ve got a problem. And that’s only the beginning of a laundry list of issues leaving players feeling rather haunted by Tom Clancy’s Ghosts. While some players are reporting mostly functional experiences, others have found themselves plagued by unadjustable resolutions, framerate caps, chugging performance, crippling server connection problems, and show-stopping crashes. But, at the very least, Ubisoft is officially on the case.

“The team is working agressively to correct any issues as soon as possible,” a Ubisoft rep wrote in an irate, now-closed forum thread. He then pointed players to individual threads for each specific issue, wherein Ubisoft notes that “multiple updates” are on the way. For now, though, the threads note that Ubisoft’s working on fixes for everything from a lack of SLI support to low-quality textures to compatibility with Nvidia GTX 570 cards to unreliable connections to Windows XP functionality to… well, this list goes on. And on. And on.

A surgical strike of patches will drop at some point, but there’s currently no timeframe for their arrival. In the meantime, players have been reporting that the currently available 1.1 and 1.2 patches create even more trouble, so probably steer clear of those.

This is, of course, not the first time a Ubisoft PC port’s turned up late to the party and started retching on everybody’s shoes. Here’s hoping, however, that the publisher gets this straightened out once and for all. I mean, with major PC-exclusives like Ghost Recon Online and ShootMania, even it’s admitting that our infinitely malleable platform of choice matters. But, even assuming that glowy neon duo ends up pristinely glitch-free, they’ll be tough sells if Ubisoft keeps running its own name through the mud.

, .

1. PleasingFungus says:

And, of course, From Dust wasn’t the first time, either.

Oh, Ubisoft!

2. De_willy says:

Why am I not surprised? Gues I made the right decision not buying this POS.

• mjig says:

For Ubisoft, if you didn’t buy it, you must have pirated it.

3. woodsey says:

Would this be the game that wasn’t going to come to PC because the game director (or someone involved with it) said PC gamers “are all pirates”?

4. JayC1407 says:

Are things like this not covered by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act in the UK, ie. that goods sold must be of merchantable quality. I’ve always wondered if anyone has ever tested that.

• Crane says:

I suspect that a clever lawyer would slip around that by pointing out that you aren’t purchasing the software, but instead are purchasing a license to use the software, and said license works fine; you’re entirely entitled to use the software in all its semi-functional glory.

5. Milky1985 says:

Good to see the extra dev time was put to good use, as the delay was only due to spending more time on making the product nice and polished right?

• Njordsk says:

My sarcasm sensor just died, I’m sure your post did that.

• Brun says:

I know this is sarcasm, but it’s important to note that these companies aren’t fooling anyone when they claim that platform-specific (i.e. PC-only) delays are for polish purposes. Their purpose is to drive people toward the console versions, to gain a hypothetical reduction in piracy.

Ubisoft was probably working on DLC during the “polish period.”

6. Totally heterosexual says:

Oh you Ubi.

7. povu says:

Luckily the Coco trailer already evaporated any interest I had in this game.

8. Demiath says:

I purchased a digital version of the game through Greenman Gaming but yesterday they suddenly reported that they were sadly unable to deliver the game in time for the release. Now I understand that this was entirely motivated by a benign spirit of customer support. After all, why ship a product that isn’t finished?

BlackestTea says:

I had a choice between picking up this and Spec Ops: The Line – now I’m rather happy I chose the latter…

10. KDR_11k says:

I read about those issues earlier this week on Eurogamer so I was warned in time. Supposedly the WASD and mouse controls didn’t even work in the initial release.

• Phinor says:

A lot of players are still completely unable to move in the game with either a keyboard or even a gamepad. The only solution Ubisoft has offered is disabling all your game controllers through device manager but that’s not much of a solution because you actually bought those controllers so you could use them; for example try driving a race sim without a wheel because your stupid manshooter required you to disable it.

Enable it afterwards? Sure, and then re-install re-calibrate and re-configure the device everytime you do that. Half an hour of hassle for every Future Soldier session.

It’s actually pretty funny. Delay the game for a month and then release it in a condition where you literally can’t move in the game. That’ll teach them!

11. Fumarole says:

Never change, Ubi.

12. HisMastersVoice says:

I wonder how the same company can make both rock solid AC ports and something as broken as From Dust or GRAWRAWARAWRSOMETHING. I mean, I get that one might be done in Paris and the other in Montreal, but I would have thought they’d try and, dunno, learn from each other maybe.

13. Derpentine says:

I have not purchased this shitfest, obviously – but man; it’s really coming through with entertainment value. The problems being reported in those threads are immensely funny, not because players are getting annoyed. But the obvious technical flaws, blatant bad code and complete lack of QA.

Coding Horror ain’t got nothin’ on ol Ubi.

14. anomaly0 says:

I can play it fine and I enjoy it a lot… only crashed once or twice but it only crashed while loading the level (not during it) so I didn’t lose any progress or anything so I guess that’s good >.>… if it was going to crash at all I’d prefer that it crashed there I suppose.

15. captain nemo says:

Someone should do an article “Best of Ubisoft Screw-Ups”. How a big company like that continues to be in business is confounding

16. Gasmask Hero says:

Oh, Ghosts of War is out.
    How on earth did I miss this.

Pc GRAW 1 had a crippling problem with the selection reticule that they never bothered to fix in it’s lifetime, so is it progress that the crippling problems with GoW are getting some attention?

17. RPSRSVP says:

Ubicorn! Was lucky to be bug free except on the airport level, after planting the bomb via drone on the jet, if you don’t openly enage the enemy before the hangar closes, you can’t advance.

Shame the franchise fell so low, for 3rd person cover based shooters it’s hanging with Max Payne 3 and MP3 isn’t even trying to compete with GR:FS…

18. TrueZarken says:

I am glad I did the waiting game with this one. I should do it more often. =P

19. TickledBlue says:

I haven’t purchased an Ubisoft game since their ‘always on’ DRM stance, so I dodged this bullet. What DRM does Ghost come with BTW? Have Ubisoft relaxed their stance on customer punishment?

20. Syra says:

Steps to play Ghost Recon Future Soldier:

Attempt to buy legitimate copy.
    Release for PC delayed.
    Get angry at Ubi.
    Finally get game. Game doesn’t launch properly due to prohibitive DRM.
    Demand refund.
    Pirate game. Bypass DRM.
    Game is a shoddy port with unfixable mouse smoothing and acceleration and limited graphics options.
    Game is “fixed” at low resolution regardless of selection and littered with frame-rate reducing bugs.
    Game crashes at particular point at end of first mission. Every single time. Wait for patch.
    Patch game.
    You need to use a specific command to complete mission; activate by pressing “Q”.
    Your “Q” button no longer responds in game.
    In anger you wish to spray bullets into everything that moves. Take aim.
    Left mouse button no longer works. You try to exit through menus and wait for new patch.
    Your mouse no longer works.
    Ubisoft just pwned you.