Meching It Clearer: Mechwarrior Online

By Adam Smith on June 28th, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

Videos for Mechwarrior Online seem to arrive in batches and there are two more for you to stomp on this evening. To stomp on with your eyes. The first is a dev diary, which talks about “the four pillars of gameplay” for the multiplayer mech ‘em up. The most interesting claim is that mechs of different sizes and capabilities will all have their place, useful in different situations or as part of a group. The goal, then, isn’t to get the biggest, baddest mech of all, because, hey, that little one over there might be even badder. The second video shows a new environment, the Frozen City. Perhaps this is one of the environments in which a lumbering turret of a mech would struggle.

You know I said these things arrive in batches? That one has been out in the wild for a week or more, it’s just that I found it today. The Frozen City really is new though.

All good stuff, although part way through that second video I thought Queens of the Stone Age had become miniaturised and trapped inside a can somewhere in my room, where they continued to attempt to rock. Turns out there’s just some completely unnecessary and dubious backing music.

, .

1. The Least Fun Human Being On Earth says:

Mech, mechs, mechs, mechs, MECHS!

2. deadly.by.design says:

I’m glad they got some guy from local tv programming to mech this sound as boring as possible.

• Grygus says:

A somewhat robotic delivery.

• Premium User Badge Andy_Panthro says:

Hey, let’s not be too harsh: everyone mechs mistakes every now and again!

• Screamer says:

It does loki nice though!

• roryok says:

I want to say something about these pun threads.

I think the comments have really started to deteriorate on this site lately. Once upon a time people were chastised for posting “first” comments at the bottom of articles, and rightly so. But lately, everyone rushes to either start or contribute to a pun thread. I find them childish, and stupid, and I think anyone engages in them at this stage is both childish and stupid. I read the comments in the hope of finding something interesting but instead it’s pun-this and pun-that. I really hope this dies out quickly, because I Jennerally find the other comments on the site to be quite intelligent and thought-provoking.

• BubbaNZ says:

Awesome comment, these puns make my head Thor too. All joking aside, I’m not going to take this nonsense Orion down anymore.

• wodin says:

They never bothered me before, however recently there are so many of them it’s hard to find something interesting to read. The only people who actually read the puns are the ones making them. Seems like it’s some club where they all laugh at how funny and witty they are, yet really anyone else either turns a blind eye or starts to get abit peeved off.

I have heard abit of dissatisfaction from others regarding it to the point where they don’t even bother to read the comments.

It doesn’t even look like those who constantly try and make puns are even interested in the game being written about.

3. PodX140 says:

Been on the fence to buy the founders pack since day 1. I very much KNOW I want to buy one, and that the game will likely be fantastic, I just have no idea whether my laptop will run the damn game properly :(

They really should release a benchmarking application for the game, no gameplay, just a simple video to benchmark with.

• RaytraceRat says:

They are working on performance (especially on older core duos) right now, and as far as I know it changes quite a bit after each patch. So it’s hard to tell how it will run when it will be out.

• DarkNoghri says:

Well, it’s CryEngine 3 based. So, as a general baseline for performance, can your laptop run Crysis? If not, you can probably rule out playing on your laptop.

4. squareking says:

I don’t remember QotSA sounding that generic.

• sparna says:

Eh, I kinda see what he means. I mean it’s a stretch, and I’m thinking he just wanted to work Queens into the article somehow, but I guess it kinda resembles a poor man’s S/T riff or something….

5. asshibbitty says:

Hey Adam, I’ve been noticing that some embedded youtubes here on RPS don’t show up in mobile safari and ask to install flash on desktop. Looked back a few pages and it seems it’s mostly a thing with your posts, maybe you’re choosing a wrong option or something? I don’t really know how these thing work, sorry if wrong.

6. MistyMike says:

One of the main problems of the industry right now is that promising projects like this one get the ‘online’ label slapped on them and get turned into mumorpoger shovelware. This could be greatness if made into a full retail game with a robust single player campaign. The whole potential of the idea of mech battles is wasted on generic arena deathmatch scenarios.

• Bremze says:

You do know that matches are going to influence a larger faction meta-game, right? And that deathmatch isn’t the only announced game mode? That said, you use the phrase “mumorpoger”, probably shouldn’t take anything you say seriously.

• MSJ says:

i don’t think shovelware thinks what you think it means. Shovelware are not the type of games that developers give news updates about.

7. Billzor says:

Neat. Lets get some even more tactical depth with a Mechcommander type overlay for leader-types.

8. mckertis says:

” The most interesting claim is that mechs of different sizes and capabilities will all have their place”

It’s not the “most interesting” claim, its the least one should expect from a mech game, this is 2012 for Zeus;s sake.

9. Lev Astov says:

Of course the biggest mechs aren’t necessarily the baddest! Back in my day, I loaded up my little Nova with some silly number of autocannons. I only had enough room for 10 shots in each gun, but with a single blast from all of them at once, I could take out the knees of any giant mech!

Man I’m really looking forward to this. I hope it’s as customizable as MW2.

10. TrueZarken says:

I’ve been on the fence about buying a Founders pack for a while now and all I know is I really want to play this game, I want to support them, but I don’t know if the founders mechs are any good. Am I wasting my money or not?

Right now the only thing stopping me from purchasing a founders pack I think is that lack of information on balance. It’s all well and good to say “yes our game is balanced” in interviews, but show the balance!

I think I need to find a good preview from a reputable site. Does RPS have one?

11. Dana says:

In Mechwarriors biggest is always best.

12. Cognitect says:

Has Piranha said anything new about the possibility of European servers, or is MWO still a US-only thing?

13. Cognitect says:

Also, the couple of maps I’ve seen demoed so far have given me the impression of being very small and narrow. Small, funnel-like maps will of course make the combat very hectic and unrelenting, but I’d really like to have some room for more deliberate, tactical maneuvers and epic long-range engagements.

14. Sunjammer says:

Mechwarrior games piss me off. I loved the tabletop, I read the fiction, and I enjoyed Mechwarrior 2 and Mercs, but theres something *dumb* about how those mechs run around the battlefield shooting eachother in the legs with whatever guns they have. It’s a game that pretends to be a sim but is little more than a particularly clunky shooter.

I spend a lot of time in the DCS sims and I keep thinking, man would I love to see a Mechwarrior game that treated ordnance, information and targeting with the same respect.

• Makariel says:

I agree with you, I’ve been playing the tabletop for quite some time and always found the transition to the games was lacking a bit. No tactics involved apart from circlestrafing with the heaviest mech in the arsenal.

Main reason I am still interested in MWO is the class warfare thing. The promise of 12 vs. 12 mech combat with dedicated recon, fast strike and command sounds sweet. Also, they seem to revamp how sensors work in MWO. I’m looking forward to more maps like frozen city, where it seems paramount to switch between sensor modes depending on weather conditions.

But I’m not sure if I won’t be playing more Mechwarrior Tactics once that is out, since it seems like a 1:1 conversion of the tabletop minus having to handle all those record sheets, which is awesome (incidentally: next weekend I’ll meet with a friend to play a planetary assault of the Jade Falcons versus the FedCom 3050 – so many record sheets! I guess that will take us the full weekend…).

• Premium User Badge Cinek says:

Nothing new in this.
        Class warfare,
        Correct behavior of radars
        Planets climate having huge impact on Mechs
        Everything been in Mechwarrior: Living Legends for over a year already. For free. To play. Now. (As long as you got Crysis Wars)

15. Bungle says:

Queens of the Stone age don’t attempt to rock, motherfucker — they rock. I expect a full retraction tomorrow morning.

• Adam Smith says:

The reason they were only ‘attempting’ to rock is because someone had made them too tiny to rock and trapped them in a can! It’s an almost impossible situation to rock in.

• Bungle says:

Okay, I will accept your explanation in lieu of a retraction. The next time you mention QOTSA in an article, sir, they had better be ROCKING.