Candy Camera: Pyrovision Goggles Are Kind Of Amazing

By Jim Rossignol on June 28th, 2012 at 12:30 pm.

wheeeeeeeee
STOP: If you haven’t watched Meet The Pyro yet, watch it, for goodness sake.

This morning I found myself grumbling in RPS chat about how news sites were casually spoiling the twist in the Meet The Pyro video, by posting pictures of it. Now I am going to do exactly the same thing, because you really should take a look at the Pyrovision goggles in action. Anyone who logs into the game between now and next week gets a set of goggles that mods the game world to look a bit like the Pyro’s view of things, including shooting rainbows, balloon-gib deaths, and floating pink plushie unicorn. There are some videos of it in action, below.

Inevitable “it’s just an easy mod anyone could make” comments will be missing the point.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. jellydonut says:

aaand this is how they got me to re-install.

Valve knows how to suck people back in. With stupid, limited, novelty items. gaaaah!

2. Lars Westergren says:

So it’s “FPS games: German edition” vision!

• Legion23 says:

That made me laugh. Kinda true too with the censored german version having already used a cute gimmick to cover that up for years.

• DeVadder says:

Honestly i way prefer the german ‘gore’. I once used a friends computer with international Steam and TF2 installed and it really annoyed me. It’s just another game without the child-toy-gibbs. A worse game even.

• Legion23 says:

Well people bursting into squeaky ducks is a charming way to censor compared to Episode 2 with killed enemies just vanishing into thin air but censorship is censorship and I despise it. A way better method would have been to put it as a slider into advanced options or similar, let you choose what kind of gore you want. The newest Serious Sam did that and it´s a fun and comfortable way to pick your favourite style of gore.

• nemryn says:

The ‘silly gibs’ are still available every August 24 (anniversary of the original TF release) or if you find a ‘birthday mode’ server: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Birthday_mode

• meklu says:

You can add -sillygibs to your launch options for TF2 to get it working elsewhere.
          Right click -> Properties -> Set launch options

3. Avenger says:

I CALLED IT!
    ….
    Yeah, the first thing that crossed my mind was “Dude, somebody must mod this and call it pyrovision!”.

I and a million other people too probably, but still.

4. Hoaxfish says:

pity there’re still corpses all over the place, rather than flying babies.

and since all the signs are unreadable, does that mean Pyro’s inaudible speech is related to his visual/mental issues rather than just wearing a mask?

• jon_hill987 says:

Agreed, Valve could have gone a lot further with this. I for example would have had the new Pyro weapons first person view only, everyone else should see them for what they really are.

5. Gap Gen says:

It really needs the Lovin’ Spoonfuls in there too, but eh.

• Skabooga says:

There is no situation where I wouldn’t agree to this assertion.

6. DanPryce says:

You don’t dominate people anymore. You become BEST FRIENDS with people.

LOVE.

7. Amstrad says:

The Dylan was perfect.

8. Buttless Boy says:

Awesome! Now I’ll have an excuse to be so terrible at this game.

9. The_B says:

The remainder of this comment thread is brought to you by PYROVISION.

Well I think this update is a load of BUNNIES. They’ve completely SPARKLED and SHINED all over the game with this piece of CANDY update. Anyone who thinks otherwise is completely MY BEST FRIEND.

10. woodsey says:

‘STOP: If you haven’t watched Meet The Pyro yet, watch it, for goodness sake.’

Surely you can still only spoil it in the article without adorning the spoilerific goods on the home page of the site?

11. DickSocrates says:

I’ve realised my problem is not with Valve. My problem is with their sycophantic fanbase who think the dumbest and most pointless things they do are like God blessing them. They ruin decent jokes by spontaneously ejizculating over them.

And by “they” I mean you.

• Ironclad says:

You’re welcome. Have a cookie

• TsunamiWombat says:

You had me till Ejizculate. Wait, no you didn’t, because you have no soul. WHY CAN’T YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC

• Fincher says:

Don’t like jokes getting run into the ground? You must HATE FUN or something.

• The_B says:

Yeah, I mean god forbid people celebrate whenever a gaming company does something fun. Because that’s completely at odds as to what people play games for, right?

• Walter Heisenberg says:

Yes Valve cover me in monkey cheese brand zaniness
        maybe next they’ll *gasp* add pirate and ninja classes FTW

• Keirley says:

I literally have no idea what your point is.

• The_B says:

Ditto.

But frankly with the amount of emotion that goes into stories about various shady business practices, DRM, bad ports, questionable ethics in promotion and the negative aspects of gaming to the point of almost demon-isation, to see the same level of emotion and enthusiasm directed to the positive side should be welcomed and encouraged, not stamped out or turned into bitter cynicism and grow into resentment for a hobby we supposedly all love, or we wouldn’t even be here. Statements like the OP just reek of “I don’t enjoy it as much as that so NO ONE ELSE CAN.”

• Apples says:

The thing is though that this isn’t monkey cheese? That would mean that it was literally Tim Buckley style random replacements of objects and stupid gibberish for no reason, which it completely isn’t – it’s based on the meet the pyro video, which also isn’t monkey cheese because it comes from the fairly solid, logical and self-consistent idea of “what if the pyro is a mental and sees everything as babies and flowers and nice things”.

If you want to complain about it just not being funny or being a hackneyed idea, fine, because I’m not really into it either; but it isn’t monkey cheese.

• Walter Heisenberg says:

Every class being able to wear glasses that have the same effect though is pretty random and has no logic behind it except when a pyro is wearing them. It would be have been more clever to make the glasses pyro only or as some kind of ability.

• The_B says:

Yeah, but it would have also had the knock-on effect seen following the first pyro update – everybody would be playing Pyro just to see the new effect. At least this way everybody gets the chance to see it for a week, and then after that you have to dominate someone wearing the goggles to get your own.

• Apples says:

Only in as far as, like, “how can engie build turrets by hitting them with a wrench????” is random and nonsensical. The goggles are a piece of tech which lets people do something improbable in the name of fun and murder, in a world full of other pieces of tech like that. If you really need to have a completely consistent in-world motivation for them existing feel free to mentally write yourself some fanfiction, but if you can’t see that the real reason for extending them to everyone is “so the game isn’t 90% pyros” rather than”OMG RANDOM LOL” then vo_ov

• Walter Heisenberg says:

Good point it’s a smart move to avoid headaches like that though I loved the utter insanity of everyone playing the same class during the original class updates.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

It’s not Buckley style.

There are babies in Meet the Pyro.

• furiannn says:

Get ‘im, boys!

• magnus says:

Oh yes and give yourself a medal. (sigh)

• Fumarole says:

Someone has been made a Best Friend one time too many it would seem.

12. JD Ogre says:

Ah, good to see that it’s not a case of my mediocre video card (a 512MB Radeon 5670) making the Pyrovision landscape look rather flat.

13. baby snot says:

I kinda feel like Pyromania needs to be it’s own game world. Its’ just so brilliant. At first I was kinda disappointed by Meet the Pyro but now I’ve come around to how great an idea it is. Did anyone notice how amazing that last scene of Pyro/Soldier actually is? It’s just stunning.

• Kollega says:

In case you think this kind of thing needs to be it’s own game, i direct you towards videogames based on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Or any cartoonish platformers aimed at children, really. Rayman series is a great example.

EDIT: It has also just occured to me that “My Little Pyro: Friendship is Magic” dosen’t sound half bad.

• Fincher says:

good, well keep it there

• Apples says:

He probably means a world that looks friendly and fun and magical but you have the awareness that you’re actually doing horrible things and are a horrible murderer. Which is a bit darker than kids’ games.

(Saints Row?)

• Irregular Peanut says:

You play the entire game with Pyrovision while you start to cotton on that nothing is as it seems. At the end it is revealed that you are psychopathic murderer, and you have everything you did in the game replayed to you through the real world. That would be terrifying.

• sinister agent says:

The first time I played the “thermal vision from a chopper” bit in CoD (which at the time was a quite novel perspective), I of course first imagined someone playing that section through only to learn that they’d actually been remotely controlling a real attack chopper over a real village.

Oh, and nitpick: You’re thinking of “psychotic”, not “psychopathic”. TL;DR – Psychotic people are detached from reality. Psychopaths have no conscience. I don’t mean to be a dick, but this is a quite important distinction in an area of medicine that has a very poor public profile.

14. Tei says:

I feel bad this gag dont work for me. It needs more lolipops and candy turn in social comentary. My fav meet the.. Is still the spy, with the heavy second.

15. takfar says:

Needs more happy soundtrack.

16. Greggh says:

WAITAMINUTE

First: there’s an RPS chat?!?!?
    And second: WHY THE HELL I NEVER PLAYED THIS GAME??

• Skabooga says:

If I’m not mistaken, the RPS chat is referring to the sporadic conversations the RPS writers have with each other over the internet. Although the RPS Steam group has a chatroom that we’re encouraged to make use of.

17. Hypernetic says:

MMMHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

18. deadly.by.design says:

So, Pyro Goggles = “Bath Salts”?

19. MordeaniisChaos says:

I’m really bummed that this isn’t just for Pyro.

20. jonfitt says:

Oh, that’s a little disappointing. I heard about Pyrovision and was hoping for a little more of a transformative effect. Other players appearing as babies, the weapons should turn into something friendly, people not dying etc.

• Walter Heisenberg says:

They were probably conservative with it so the game wasn’t loading double the assets and eating up more RAM, TF2 takes forever to load a map as is.

21. Rukumouru says:

I’m going to be brutally honest here: The picture was completely amazing, but the actual in-game implementation was lifeless, boring and dull. If only it looked just like the first pic (and they added cheesy magic happy friends music too!) I’d dive into TF2 right this instant.

In conclusion: Meh.

22. WinTurkey says:

Now maybe they’ll add in goggles which will remove all the LOLSORANDUM things from the game such as the hats and items.

23. hosndosn says:

It would be funnier if, thanks to Valve’s horrible censorship policy, the German (Australian?) version of the game didn’t *actually look that way.* That’s all I can think of watching those clips. Fun fact: Both versions of TF2, censored and uncensored, are 18+ in Germany so their whole preemptive self-censorship was useless. And don’t get me started on German CS (enemies sit down and shake heads instead of dying) and German L4D (basically, nothing happens when you shoot zombies). Valve is awful at that. Also their dubbing… horrible. The German versions of their games are essentially unplayable if you know the originals, something Gaben probably doesn’t even realize.

24. SkittleDiddler says:

That was nowhere near as interesting as it should have been. Christ, the Halloween updates have more appeal, and that’s not saying much.

25. LionsPhil says:

Shame the item server’s crippled under load.

26. MichaelPalin says:

And what exactly is the point?

• Foosnark says:

The point of this is exactly the same as the point of any other game.

• Gasmask Hero says:

I would say the point is the termination of any elongated object, usually consisting of multiple converging sides or a cone of increasingly narrowing diameter. It can be rounded or sharp edged.