Box News: Portal Legos, Limbo Special Edition

By Nathan Grayson on July 3rd, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

Welcome to RPS’ first (and probably only) edition of Box News, an attempt at providing fair and balanced coverage of that most marginalized of objects in this digital age – the box – on the first day to conveniently feature more than one box-based news item in 437 years. On today’s show, we’ll be bringing you up-to-the-minute analysis of the developing Portal Lego set situation and having Limbo’s lavish new Special Edition box set live in the studio. So then, let’s dive right in.

First up, enterprising fans over at Lego’s CUUSOO site – the same entity that injected box-shaped lifeblood into the veins of Minecraft’s Lego project – are pushing to give Portal a similar treatment. The folks at Brickthing have brainstormed up some pretty neat sets, too, with a brick-based model of GLaDOS, adorable turret mini-figures, and an honest-to-goodness Lego potato leading the charge. Two sets even include the pieces to construct fairly elaborate test chambers, which – somewhat amazingly – offer fully solvable puzzles. In order to enter actual production, the Portal Lego collection requires 10,000 votes, and it’s already more than halfway there. Below, I’ll be providing up-to-the-minute-ish updates as it nears the final stretch.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the world of block/cube/box-based non-lifeforms, unsettling platformer mega-hit Limbo’s back with a Special Edition package that includes a DRM-free copy of the game, a soundtrack, art cards, a sticker of the disturbingly decapitatable boy, and “awesome 3D glasses.” It all comes wrapped in a sooty black box that just screams “If you open me, there’s a very real possibility that a giant spider leg with spring out and impale you.” Fun! To find out more, I invited the box into the studio today. For an interview.

RPS: What’s it like being a box in a distinctly non-box-friendly industry? Do you ever fear that your voice isn’t being heard?

Limbo’s Special Edition: [Silence.]

RPS: Do you think that Special Editions like Binding of Isaac’s, Terraria’s, and of course, you are leading the charge on a box renaissance?

Limbo’s Special Edition: [Wind catches the box, causes one flap to waver up and down slightly.]

RPS: Whoa, whoa. Calm down. Don’t make me call security. I’ll take that as an exuberant “yes.” Anyway, what’s next for you after this? Will there be DLC – for instance, more stickers or DirectX 11 support for your cover image?

Limbo’s Special Edition: [Wind gusts more strongly this time, knocking the box over and spilling its contents.]

RPS: Gosh, you’re right. I suppose there isn’t room for much else, is there? So, what’s your stance on consoles? They claim to be boxes, and yet, they’re really not shaped like them, are they? Are you a PC-only deal out of protest?

Limbo’s Special Edition: [Lies motionlessly in one spot.]

RPS: Yeah, they really haven’t moved forward in years, have they? Ah well, that’s all the time we have for today. It was great chatting with you, though. Thanks for your time.

Limbo’s Special Edition: Yeah man, no problem. Anytime.

, , , , , .

1. Dubbill says:

Gnnnaaar! Lego (n. s.), Lego (pl).

• roryok says:

fnnnnnnnssshhhkkkk! Lego (pl) Lego Brick (n.)

Trinnet says:

Even though I’m intellectually aware it’s completely trivial, I genuinely like Nathan less for saying ‘legos’.

(Also, roryok is clearly correct – the singular is ‘Lego brick’).

• dancingcrab says:

That is unfair. I find the unnecessary ‘-s’ frustrating too (as a Brit living in the US), but the simple fact is that Americans have been raised calling them ‘Legos’ – it’s not Nathan’s fault.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Is it unfair to point someone on mistakes ingrained in a bunch of people? I’d say it’s a liberation from ignorance! Throw away those shackles!

• MadMinstrel says:

Shackles? Hardly. The Lego vs Legos thing is a direct result of reinforcement from the marketing department in hope of preventing you from calling any generic small pieces that fit together Legos thereby putting their trademark at risk.

RaveTurned says:

Relevant discussion here. Personally I disagree with the top answer’s assertion that “LEGOs” is common usage anywhere outside of the USA.

Gap Gen says:

The Danes asked the US to use the correct plural form of Lego once but they declined.

• Caerphoto says:

Think of “Lego” as the same sort of word as “wood” or “sand”. You don’t make things out of woods, you use planks of wood, same as you build sandcastles out of sand and not sands.

• abandonhope says:

Also somewhat like fish, and fish. However, when speaking of multiple species of fish, one uses fishes, so I suppose that if one is talking about multiple species of Lego, one could say Legos.

• Skabooga says:

Or “brick”. That house is made of bricks, for example.

• Koozer says:

If we were being REALLY nitpicky, we could demand the official capitalisation of ‘LEGO’ at all times. I am that nitpicky.

• Skabooga says:

In Nathan’s defense, “Lego” sounds as strange and awkward to my ears as “Legos” must sound to some of yours.

• choconutjoe says:

Ok grammar lesson time.

“Lego” is not the plural of anything. Nobody says: “I have two Lego.” That’s just weird to everyone. “Lego” is a mass noun: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_noun

People who say “Legos” instead treat the word as a count noun, hence the plural -s.

“Lego brick” is a compound. Since “brick” is a count noun, so is the compound. It is most definitely not the singular form of “Lego”.

• Phasma Felis says:

Lego’s marketing department would very much like “Lego” to be plural. I do not work for Lego’s marketing department, and neither do you. I and millions of others spent our childhoods playing with Legos, and I’m not in the habit of changing my word usage because someone on the Internet said to.

c-Row says:

Huh? That box has been available for months now… or is your country just late to the party?

• Alexrd says:

That’s true. It has been released since February/March in Germany.

3. Xerian says:

This… Was fucking weird. And therefore, excellent. Nice job, yank!
    But no really, this is lovely Nathan, lovely lovely lovely. That box seems like a great guy to go to the pub with.

Fede says:

Someone has to invite the box for Rezzed or the next RPS Social Club

Tam-Lin says:

Because crates and boxes are quite similar, and because I feel it’s important that this bit of gaming history not be lost, I’d like to point people to The Old Man Murray Crate Review System. I wonder what happened to Chet and Erik. They seemed to have such promise as reviewers . . .

5. Didero says:

i’m so confused right now…

DrScuttles says:

After Cuusoo rejected the Firefly set, I was left so very sad. While I’m not nearly as interested in the Portal Lego set, I hope it gets further than being summarily executed shortly after reaching the required fan support.

7. magnus says:

Box News? It took me far too long to get that.

8. SominiTheCommenter says:

Well, Nathan is now a true RPS writer. The rite of passage is a surreal post like this.
    I can only hope for more.

9. JBantha says:

That box speaking scared the hell out of me.

10. Shazbut says: