Look: Important End Of Nations Beta Happenings

By Jim Rossignol on July 4th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Tiny heeeeed
Handsome MMORTS End Of Nations seems to have taken its sweet time to materialise in the realm of playable, but that time is nearing with beta sign ups in progress for a closed beta which will begin in just over two weeks. You may also choose to witness the most recent trailer, in which they describe the 15-army maps as “insane” and claim that the game is like nothing anyone has ever see before. Them’s fightin’ words, Trion!

And he says Dune 2, not Doom 2.

, , , .

1. Dominic White says:

‘We’re like nothing you’ve ever seen before!’, they say, forgetting that Shattered Galaxy did almost exactly this concept a very, very long time ago.

Granted, I’d love to see more games use the Shattered Galaxy concept and build on it, but it’s not exactly new.

• SanguineAngel says:

haha “forgetting” or just not knowing? I had never heard of shattered galaxy before.

• Dreforian says:

The last time RPS brought up EoN I posted about shattered galaxy and nobody knew about it. Got at least a few to check it out. The interesting thing is there are threads (or at least one really good thread) in the SG forums comparing the two games and providing info to those who will be migrating to EoN from SG.

• misterT0AST says:

The thing I hated about Shattered Galaxy was that the units took damage the instant the projectile was shot. It’s a little thing but it bothered me so very much, I stopped playing. It would have been ok if the weapons were instant guns, but you could see these very slow balls of plasma travel and hit the enemy with no effect, because they already took damage when your units started shooting.
      Everything else was executed very well, but THAT thing really felt cheap.

• Dominic White says:

Shattered Galaxy was from the 56k modem era (it released in 2001, after all), so proper projectile tracking wasn’t really an option. It’s no big deal nowadays, of course.

Garmr says:

“End of nation is the world first triple A quality free to play game…” No, there’s absolutely no arrogance that can be conveyed from that sentence.

• Dominic White says:

Everyone and their dog is saying exactly that these days, too. It’s an utterly meaningless statement.

Garmr says:

Word, this advertisement discourse has gone all pear shaped

• James Kulas says:

I can’t speak to the quality of the game, but that has to be one of the least motivating pieces of marketing I’ve seen in quite a while.

3. Mr. Mister says:

When did we start getting so excited about betas because, you know, we can play them, instead of because we’re lending a service to the developers?

4. MOKKA says:

I mean I like the Idea of the game and all, but the video was just dumb. Why don’t they let the developers really talk about the game instead of giving them these stupid PR-Messages to repeat?

5. ATwig says:

I was fortunate enough to be an early Alpha tester and I can tell you that the game is very fun. There is little downtime between matches (Even with very few people on) and there game play is a lot more tactical than I was expecting it to be.

The developers were very helpful and actually listened to any bug reports you filed. Most of the ones I found were fixed within the week (Or day if they were launcher/installer issues).

I will definitely be playing this a lot when it comes out (And in the beta if they invite me again).

• ObiDamnKenobi says:

How “MMO” is it? Do you need to cooperate with others to play properly? As one who doesn’t really have, or get, online friends I’m not sure if this game is for me..

• ATwig says:

I’m not sure how much I can divulge from the NDA but your army and units are persistent across all the games that you play. If your faction also controls certain territories you will gain a minor bonus from each one.

All of the game modes currently are 2v2 (minimum). Cooperation is needed to be extremely effective but actual communication is not needed to win. I barely say anything at all in chat.

Pretty much so long as you are not being retarded and get yourself surrounded you’ll be fine, but if your opponents play together a lot or are talkative they will (obviously) have an advantage.

The final game will be free to play so there’s no point in not trying it out.

• Dana says:

Just because there are meta mechanics wrapping the multiplayer game, it doesn’t make it an mmo outright. End of Nations is not an mmo, because it’s only 4 players (but there will be more later).

• Xzi says:

Hmm, that’s not good. Just because units are persistent does make it an MMO. On that you are correct. Kinda need the “massive” and “multiplayer” parts in there too.

• TornadoTexan says:

I think ATwig meant that the smallest match is 4 players. I know one of the older videos said that matches will be up to 50 players.

6. Valhuen says:

Will there be single-player? If not, not interested. As a long-time RTS fan the game looks great, but I would rather pay upfront and have the ability to play single-player skirmishes.

• Xzi says:

No single-player, but also no paying involved. It’s free-to-play.

• Grape says:

The closest thing you get to Single-Player is PvE, unfortunately. Which pretty much makes me lose all interest in it, free or not.