Fall Of Cybertron Trailer Reveals Metroplex, Dinobots

By Jim Rossignol on July 5th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Big robot!
The latest trailer for Transformers: Fall Of Cybertron is the one most likely to set giddy hearts racing, for it shows both dinobots and the enormous Metroplex in action, fighting and punching. There’s an inspirational voice-over from Optimus Prime, too, which is something everyone needs to listen to when they’re eating their wheaty breakfast. No illusions about this game being a big dumb firework display, but sometimes exploding robots of updated nostalgia is enough.

The game arrives in August.

I was the proud owner of this, once upon a time. He used to fight my one-armed rancor monster in an unlikely blurring of intellectual properties.

, , .

1. Dusk777 says:

I still am the proud owner of Metroplex, still in box with out the stickers on. Man I was a nerd when I was a kid too. =]

• Spacewalk says:

I always wanted Metroplex but my mum wasn’t cool enough to get it for me. She wasn’t even cool enough to get me Trypticon.

2. Mr.Dreadlock says:

Legend of Grimlock?

3. danimalkingdom says:

I like the bit where it says RISE IN THE FACE.

• Robslap says:

I like that Optimus Prime ‘feels my presence’
      In-your-endo!

4. Geros says:

I am pretty sure that Dinobots, and Metroplex were made after the fall on Cybetron, on Earth ;) G1 forever

• Neurotic says:

Yah, the dinos were made by Wheeljack and Ratchett in a first attempt to create ‘bots that better blended with Earth creatures (!). Metroplex was a sub-part of Autobot City (as built in The Movie), although whether this implies he was *created* on Earth with the Autobot City project, or was brought in from Cybertron to merge with the City, I don’t know.

In the new Aligned Continuity (also ft. T Prime and the Alex Irvine novels), which the games are also part of, the dinobots have an entirely different origin (which imho is brilliant, but I won’t spoil it here), and old Metroplex is a pre-existing ‘city-bot’ on Cybertron.

Can’t wait for this tbh, I’ve cained TWFC to pieces.

• Chev says:

It’s more complicated than that. In the original G1 comic the dinobots existed long before that, same for Metroplex (who himself has different origins in the US and japanese cartoon continuities). And that was twenty years ago, since then there have been multiple other G1 continuity variants through new comics that have different takes on the canon.

But none of that matters because despite appearances and heavy G1 homages High Moon’s games aren’t G1 continuity, they’re officially Prime continuity (the latest cartoon). Which essentially means they’re free to do whatever they want as long as they stick to a few key points from the cartoon (like Bumblebee having to end up mute).

5. f1x says:

Dinobots = instant win

6. Mordsung says:

As much as I liked the first game, it still miffs me that Megatron no longer transforms into a gun.

It was such a delightfully ridiculous premise, but it made him so much more awesome.

7. MSJ says:

Unlikely blurring of intellectual property? Star Wars Transformers is an actual toyline. The best one must be the Death Star that transforms into Darth Vader.

8. wodin says:

i can relate to men piloting giant mechs but could never relate to giant robots, not sure why I’d be bothered they where getting destroyed as there just machines.

• Urthman says:

Giant robots punching each other & blowing shit up, and you say you can’t relate?

What, you’ve never been twelve years old? You sprang, a fully-formed adult, from your father’s forehead?

Andy_Panthro says:

Megatron must be stopped… no matter the cost.

• TsunamiWombat says:

You’ve got the touch, you’ve got the power! YEAH!

10. Dances to Podcasts says:

I’ve watched it twice now and thought about it for a whole minute or so, but I still don’t understand the animated blood warning.

• DRoseDARs says:

Glad I’m not the only one stuck on that bit. I’m thinking perhaps the raters thought the “Violence” label was insufficient to describe and warn about the goring… of giant shape-shifting robots. It’s not that they have blood, animated or otherwise, it’s rather the type of violence portrayed wasn’t fitting exactly into the rating categories they have.

emotionengine says:

I was automatically reminded of this.