The Bright Coloured Nights Rises

By John Walker on July 5th, 2012 at 6:09 pm.

Creatures without spikey hair were MURDERED by Sega.

When you think of Sega classics, it’s rather easy to forget Nights. The blue-spikey one gets most of that attention. But the Saturn-based a-bit-like-Sonic-thing is to return in an HD remake. Rather sickeningly keeping the awful “Nights into dreams…” moniker, and maintaining the lack of upper-case letters, it wouldn’t have been my first guess if someone had asked which Sega franchised would next be revived. But it was awfully popular in the 90s, and perhaps has fallen out of people’s memories in the decade since, despite already receiving a remake for the PS2 in 2008 – er, despite being two years into the PS3′s lifetime, and only in Japan. But clearly there’s more confidence this time. You can grab a quick glance of it in the trailer below.

And that’s all we have. There’s no website, packshot, release date, nor even a proper screenshot at this point. It is odd when publishers apparently announce things before they’re ready.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. jalf says:

Yay!

That is all.

2. Axyl says:

This gives me a happy :D

3. Malfious says:

First game (or Demo, I suppose) I got with my Saturn as a kid was Christmas Nights, I wonder if they will add it to this

4. Memphis-Ahn says:

And this is coming out before Shenmue because… SEGA?

• DrGonzo says:

Because this is a better game, which hasn’t dated horribly and is still fun.

• Bhazor says:

The Yakuza games are basically Shenmue done better. Highly recommended to anyone with the appropriate tv box.

• TaroYamada says:

Shenmue’s one of the best games of all time, I literally didn’t beat it until 2008. Held up great in my view, particular the combat engine which was pulled straight out of Virtua Fighter.

• Bhazor says:

Given that Shenmue basically killed the Dreamcast I imagine it holds bad memories for them and is now only uttered as a curse like saying Macbeth in a theater.

• HothMonster says:

I’m pretty sure being able to play burned games by merely putting in a legit game until the Sega splash screen and then swapping in the burned disc killed the dreamcast.

• Venkman says:

That’s common “knowledge” that seems incorrect to me. The Dreamcast sold only 10 million units worldwide (N64 sold 33 million, PS1 sold 103 million). There seems to be a much bigger problem there than simply the fact that people could play pirated games easily. Were you also able to magically clone the entire system by swapping discs at the splash screen? If the system had sold 50 million units but still died because of horrible software sales, the piracy argument would hold more water. At 10 million units I don’t know if it matters. If a console is for sale that you know you can get loads of great games on for “free”, shouldn’t MORE consoles sell?

This was also 1999-2000, when broadband was less prevalent and downloading 700MB-1GB files was not as easy as it would be now, so I don’t know if piracy was as widely rampant as you think.

I don’t buy the “piracy killed the Dreamcast” argument at all.

• Aerothorn says:

I’m pretty sure a conflation of factors killed the Dreamcast, of which Shenmue was somewhere between “very small” and “not at all.” The budget certainly hurt Sega as a company, but it didn’t damage the Dreamcast per say.

• yazman says:

I hate to be that guy but it’s “per se” goddamnit. It’s from latin, it’s not english.

• Malibu Stacey says:

That’s almost as annoying as people (Americans) writing “wallah” or something similar when they’re trying to say “voila”.

• greenbananas says:

Actually… it’s “voilà”. /ultra pedant

Still, lmao at “wallah”, what I regularly spot is “viola” instead. Which, to be fair, does sound nice, although I’d much rather listen to the violin.

5. psychoconductor says:

Absolutely LOVE this game. Played it for many many hours on Saturn. Definitely carried the Sonic torch way better than Sonic did when it came out.

6. thesmileman says:

What about BUG! and BUG Too!

7. Xocrates says:

“perhaps has fallen out of people’s memories in the decade since”

I find that hard to believe. There is a lot of fondness for the game out there, frankly I find that the wii sequel is more likely to have harmed people’s memories of it than time.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’d never even heard of this game until I read the article, and me and my group of friends back in the day were dedicated SEGA freaks.

Is Nights Into Dreams one of those “big in Europe but not in America” things?

• Xocrates says:

Honestly, I have no idea how big Nights ever got, or if it ever was very big for that matter.

However, pretty much everyone I know that did play it remembers it fondly. It’s certainly among my favourite Saturn games.

I don’t recall it ever being a massive inescapable hit (it probably would have had a lot of sequels if it was) but it has certainly remained as a cult classic.

• jalf says:

No, it’s one of those “big on Saturn, the console that no one bought” games…

If you had a Saturn, you knew about it. If you didn’t, you… didn’t.

• phylum sinter says:

I don’t think being American has anything to do with your not knowing about it. Did you have a Saturn? If so, you might have at least played Christmas Nights (it was bundled with it later in the system’s life i think)…

Of course it’s too foggy to remember for sure, but i’ve the sense it wasn’t marketed like it could have been. I remember a cover of GameFan magazine that featured it, but not much else. It was also the vehicle used to introduce the Saturn public to Sega’s analog game pad.

Oh wow, here that article scan is, if you’re into it – http://sost.emulationzone.org/nights/scans/index.htm

8. DrScuttles says:

While I still have the old Saturn disc somewhere under my desk, it would be nice to play the game without the hassles of emulation.
    It’s somewhat redundant, but I’d also like to see Sonic Jam re-released. And no matter how dated Shenmue 1 and 2 are, I’d love to play them again without squiffy emulation problems.

9. Raff says:

This is great news. NiD is a brilliant score attack arcade style game, but also quite hard and has some abstract rules and essential tricks that put a lot of people off when they try it expecting something related to a sonic platformer. I recommend watching some strategy videos etc from this highscore fan site: http://nidscores.com/?page_id=288

I have the saturn version and christmas nights disc (though my analogue controller is ruined) and the now obsolete Japanese PS2 version remake which seemed like a miracle when it came out. Hopefully I won’t have to buy it a fourth time after this PC version! I’m a bit worried about screen tearing though due to all the horizontal motion and the need for precise controls which rule out v-sync.

10. Vagrant says:

Wooo I love Nights so much! I’m willing to bet I’m one of the few to AAA-rank the entire game (or whatever was max rank). I say that just because one level was absurdly impossible, requiring more than double the score of every other level. And because it’s a Saturn game, which means no one played it. Spent a year of my life on that one, it feels like.

11. Andross says:

PC support, go Sega! ;)

12. DickSocrates says:

I have played the PS2 remake, and this so-called HD update is identical. What we’re getting here is the PS2 version in a higher resolution. Which is fair enough I suppose, but they could have updated it more.

I am a proud Saturn owner, I had NiGHTS when it was new. I never bought a PSone. I imported Japanese games, I was quite a hardcore SEGA zealot at that time. Yet even I didn’t like NiGHTS all that much. It’s a score/time based game, neither of which ever appealed to me. Christmas NiGHTS was better, and was included on the PS2 disc (with some modes removed, which was annoying.) I wonder if they’ll do that again here or attempt to DLC it.

13. phylum sinter says:

I get nervous about what new Sega does to old Sega’s games… I don’t know if the old blood has all retired and the new devs just can’t capture the same feeling, but after seeing Sonic struggle so much in the modern era, this kind of makes me nervous.

If it’s a straight port we should be safe… but i have to wonder if a hip new 2012 version that will completely suck will follow and ruin yet another wonderful memory. Call it my wobbly fence position.

• jalf says:

This seems like it’s going to be a straight re-release (with improved graphics — or at least, higher resolution).

Which is good. I’m not sure how well it’ll sell, though. It was a wonderful game, but, well, is it something your average gamer anno 2012 would buy? I hope so. I will be buying it.

• phylum sinter says:

I’m betting it’ll be mostly people that know about the original that will play this, You’re right – i don’t know if it appeals to current gamer tendencies at all.

• teacup says:

Well they only released the PS2 remake in Japan, and the Wii Sequel in I believe 2007? Wasn’t met with huge sales (although it wasn’t met with huge critical fanfare either) so I think that’s why it’ll just be a stock standard HD port on the downloadable services… rather like they are doing with many of their Dreamcast games it seems.

It’s not that shocking that Nights is getting a re-release to be honest, a cult classic like this is in a perfect position to be snapped up by people like me, who are old enough to remember it, but never owned a Saturn (so lots of people in that case) and also a slightly younger crowd who may have been too young last time but may have heard about it from others. Sega have a heap of titles (and arguably two entire consoles) that never really achieved the sales that their critical acclaim may have deserved and now exist as cult classics like this so it’s a no brainer really. Just wish they could have this padding good new Sega releases, instead of shit ones.

14. Just Endless says:

wasn’t the remake primarily a wii game? with a ps2 port?

• Xocrates says:

No. The wii game was a full fledged sequel. The PS2 version appears to be a prettified port of the original as opposed to a remake..

15. Urthman says:

I’d sure love a PC version of Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future.

16. Spacewalk says:

Yawn, call me when they update Burning Rangers instead.

17. Shazbut says:

I am very happy about this. Always loved the music

18. particlese says:

Sweet! I always loved playing the Saturn version at my friend’s house growing up. I discovered while playing it again recently that you can walk around on the ground as long as you want, provided you stay away from the Alarm Clock of Doom, and there are actually things for you to do there. And then I read that you can selectively breed and destroy the game’s inhabitants. I was so thrilled I bought the Wii version despite its poor reviews, and then I discovered that the critics were being rather forgiving.

I am totally psyched for this re-release. Especially since I never got to play the Saturn version with analogue controls.

19. elnalter says:

I have this on the Saturn and the Japan only rerelease along with Christmas NiGHTs on PS2.

Yes, it’s still a good game. That is the second port I’ll be buying with Jet Set Radio HD. My two favorite Sega games

20. Hulk Handsome says:

This game would have been perfect if it didn’t have those overhead and third-person bits. The side-scrolling sections control so BEAUTIFULLY, and it just goes to hell when the angle changes. Luckily those bits are few and short.

21. Okami says:

Hey, Sega!
    Panzer Dragoon Saga?
    Pretty please?

22. Grape says:

Holy shit. Forget the game, just give me that soundtrack.

23. nootpingu86 says:

It’s a port of the PS2 enhancement, which seemed pretty nice. It’s nice to see this finding its way onto new consoles, maybe this means the PS2 port of Panzer Dragoon will see a port as well.

Comment on this story