Fear Not: Walking Dead Ep 3 On Track For Mid-August

By Nathan Grayson on July 6th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

At the end of the day, zombie hordes are unstoppable, but they can be impeded – for instance, by tricky doorknobs, flamethrowers, and their most well-known nemesis of all: the pulse-pounding perils of game development. So it was with Walking Dead Episode Two, which managed to stumble and moan its way into the very end of June. Telltale assures, however, that the wait for Episode Three won’t be quite so lengthy. Well, kinda.

Telltale delivered the news as part of an apology for Episode Two’s tardy arrival:

“Our goal from day one has been to deliver your game episodes as quickly as possible, and where we can, simultaneously across all platforms and regions. We’ve been working closely with our phenomenally supportive partners to try to make this a reality. We will continue to work on this and furthermore, we will strive to improve our communication with you so that you know what’s happening. Please rest assured that we are doing all we can to get your game episodes to you as quickly as possible.”

“For many of you, the most important thing is to let you know when the next episode (Episode 3: Long Road Ahead) will be available, and although we can’t give you an exact date at this time, we can say that episode three will be ready in the middle of August, and that we and our partners will do all that we can to release all platforms and regions as close together as possible.”

That falls pretty safely within “episodic” range, I think, given that Episode Two’s only been telling its gruesome tale since last week. Or, of course, there’s always the possibility that Episode Three could get delayed and sidelined for upwards of a half-a-decade while fans affix its visage to the backs of milk cartons and create petitions to draw it out of hiding. Maybe Telltale should’ve just pulled a superstitious hotel manager and just skipped straight to calling this one Episode Four. Better safe than sorry, right?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Drake Sigar says:

I wonder which will arrive first, Walking Dead Episode 3 or George R. R. Martin’s next book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series?

2. SominiTheCommenter says:

I can wait for half my life, but no more.

3. ResonanceCascade says:

Had I known how good this was going to be I would have waited for the full release. Now the suspense is going to kill me three more times.

4. Ravelle says:

one month is not so bad, I have to wait a year for each hard cover book.

5. lessthandan says:

This game is absolutely brilliant; one of my surprise favorites of 2012. It’s amazing how Telltale managed to do a 180 from Jurassic Park, to this.

6. robalypse says:

Finally. Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes with the episode 2 delay and the lack of communication. Despite the fact I’m loving the game and enjoyed episode 2 even more than the first, I’m still not sure I will pay up front for all the episodes again.

• arccos says:

It is a pretty clever way to keep the price of the series from dropping a couple months after release by doing the episodic content. And to keep it in the gaming press.

I’m glad Telltale found a model that works so well with what their company can produce. They do produce interesting mid range budget games, even if the ideas don’t always pan out.

• Stromko says:

I was one of those who couldn’t wait for episode 2, but when it did finally arrive it was worth it. Can’t wait for the next.

Did encounter some glitches with the save system, though, about which I’ve already posted on their official forums but I’ll put it here as a word of caution. After finishing Episode 2 on the first slot, the second slot (which was at the end of Episode 1) somehow warped to the end of Episode 2. When I tried to rewind the second slot to a point in Episode 1, it hanged on a black screen. When I got back into the game, both slots were reset to Episode 1.

I’d be pretty upset about losing my saves in any other game, but since these episodes are short and there’s only two of them I don’t mind having to replay the whole thing when the next episode comes out. It’s going to get pretty damn frustrating if this glitch stays in, though.

7. rustybroomhandle says:

I have yet to forgive them for never moving past Bone episode 2.

• PolloDiablo says:

I think they should really restart the Bone series now that they know what they’re doing. It’s tragic that they dropped Bone, but the first two weren’t that good anyway.

• Orazio Zorzotto says:

I thought both of them were awesome. If nothing else, they were perfect for kids and the Bone series was really popular with kids just when Telltale stopped making them. I don’t know why they didn’t see the goldmine of putting it out on Wii or DS.

8. Just Endless says:

Supposed to be a monthly thing, was my understanding. Not super important, I will be away until mid august, but agh, telltale.

Do what you need to to keep the quality up. Ep2 was a high for the walking dead FRANCHISE, as far as I’m concerned. Please do.

9. wodin says:

Below is a copy and paste of The walking Dead FB page

Activision has announced The Walking Dead, an upcoming FPS based on AMC’s The Walking Dead TV show. This game is not Telltale’s episodic game based on Robert Kirkman’s comic The Walking Dead. Are you a little confused? Don’t be, that’s exactly what the zombies want.

The Walking Dead will be developed by Terminal Reality. It will tell the story of Daryl Dixon and his brother Merle as they go on a “haunting, unforgiving quest to make their way to the supposed safety of Atlanta.” Gamers will play as Daryl. Co-op was not mentioned in the initial announcement, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Gamers will be able to choose between stealth or Rambo tactic when it comes to dealing with zombies. And in true zombie survival horror fashion, supplies will be scarce.

The Walking Dead will be released on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC in 2013.
    Source: IGN

10. Ninja Foodstuff says:

What I infer from that is that the delays were down to Microsoft dicking about. Time waits for no man, but all games must wait for XBLA.

11. Kein says:

Feels like I’m the only one who has no issues with current release date pace.

12. Wolf Hongo says:

I’m really happy I ended up playing this game because I was kind of hesitant to play another Telltale game after Jurassic Park. Lo and behold, it was incredibly gripping and entertaining. I’m really enjoying the conversations and determining how much info to relay to others. Totally worth the $25.

I do have to mention that I encountered a random glitch while playing in which the game gave me an error before exiting, then opened in windowed mode the next time with my saved games gone. Someone on the Telltale forums posted a fix for this, so if you start up your game one day and don’t see any saves, don’t fret! http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29343

Comment on this story