The RPS Bargain Bucket: Derezzed

By Lewie Procter on July 7th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

All the cool kids are at Rezzed today so it has fallen to me – professional uncool kid Tony Heugh – to be your bargain guide. Don’t focus on the fun they must be having without us, grab your bindle and come with me on a discounted adventure across the very best digital distributor bargains. For more deals you can find us at SavyGamer.co.uk.

This week there’s still no sign of the Steam Summer Sale but we have bundles aplenty, a Double Fine triple and even a chance to break out MS Paint.

GOG’s Strategy First Global sale
Quite a few games on sale here but the highlight is the Jagged Alliance games. Jagged Alliance 2 is such an important PC game that it made it into Quinn’s very important list of PC games:

This game had it all. It was cinematic yet believable, serious business capable of kidding around, huge yet human. You fought battle after battle, but the pain of losing a merc was horrific. You were the best of the best, but you weren’t above repurposing an ice-cream truck to get around (or teaching one another different skills). You fought tanks, but you were scared of the bloody things.

Jagged Alliance 2 is £3.22/$4.99/€4.06 and I would encourage you to rummage around the other games in the sale too.

Plethora of Paradox Games £12.9/$19.99/€16.27
This low price gets you RTS Crusader Kings 2 with six DLC packs, Civ with wizards (Wizardization?) Warlock: Master of the Arcane, fantasy RTS Majesty 1 and 2 with the expansions, historical RTS Victoria II and finally the game that can balance the most DLC packs on it’s nose, multiplayer friend-abuser Magicka.

Given that Warlock: Master of the Arcane is only a few months old, this deal borders on silly value for money and you should probably tear it from Amazon’s hands before they realise what a terrible mistake they’ve made and hunt us down for even mentioning it. If you’re reading this, you are the resistance. This is from the American site, so you’ll need to enter a US billing address and affect the accent of your choice, they’ll take your money and give you keys to plug into Steam. I would suggest checking whether your naughty banks charge you for buying in a different currency, the ocean-phobic money-phillic scamps are known to do things like that.

Psychonauts, Costume Quest, Stacking £6.50/$9.99/€8.13
Three delightful Double Fine adventures for ten American dollar-coins. If you haven’t played any of these, do so now and your life will be richer. John had this to say when Psychonauts emerged on digital distribution:

It was and still is outstanding. It never repeated an idea. A level in a lungfish’s head was a Godzilla-riffing metropolis to stomp on. A depressed love-ruined artist had Italian streets and buildings regularly stampeded by a bull. A man who thought he was Napoleon had a multi-scale board game for a brain.

This is another deal from Amazon.com so the same buying advice for those outside of the US applies and they register on Steam.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena £3.86/$5.99/€4.88
You may have to be quick to grab this one. Includes the prettied up remake of Escape from Butcher Bay – which was far better than a game based on a failed attempt to launch a movie franchise had any right to be – and the disappointing Assault on Dark Athena. You can read Jim’s thoughts on the first game here and the remake/sequel here. If you haven’t played Escape from Butcher Bay, I would pick this up

Bulletstorm, Burnout Paradise, Mercenaries 2, Mirror’s Edge and The Saboteur £9.68/$14.99/€12.20
You may have noticed that Amazon.com have a good sale on right now. I’m not going to list everything but I think a pack that contains two of Lewie’s favourites – Mirror’s Edge (Mirror’s Edge! – Lewie) and Burnout Paradise – is worth a mention. Remember to use a US billing address and check with your bank for charges.

Also of note:
Just Cause 2, Kane and Lynch 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Supreme Commander 2 and Tomb Raider: Underworld – £4.79/$7.49/€6.10 All except Tomb Raider: Underworld register on Steam.
Painkiller Complete Pack – £4/$4.80/€4.80 Includes Black Edition, Overdose, Redemption, Resurrection and Recurring Evil. ‘Recurring Evil’ is either the worst or best name for the fifth entry in a series.
The Commandos series, The Void, Ion Assault, Air Conflicts: Secret Wars, Cargo: The Quest for Gravity and Trauma – minimum £4.04/$6.25/€5.09 Still a good deal, if a strange choice of games for an indie bundle. All with Steam keys.
McPixel – Newly released McPixel is offering a cheeky $1 discount for submitting fan art or a $2.50 discount for sending in a video ode to McPixel. Fun idea, you can even view the fan submissions on the site. Normal price is $9.99
Arma 2: Combined Operations – £14.99/$24.74/€18.74 For those who wish to get started with Day Z.

Check SavyGamer.co.uk for the latest gaming bargains, including Steam Summer Sale coverage, which should launch any month now.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Unfair says:

One new indie bundle “this week” – came out shortly after last weeks Bargain Bucket post.

Quick reviews for anyone on the fence about it:

Indie Royale Summer Bundle

Serious Sam 2
    Harvest: Massive Encounter
    Journey Down: Chapter One
    Acceleration Of Suguri X Edition
    Dino Run SE
    Airmech
    Gundemonium Recollection
    Gundeadligne
    Hitogata Happa

Additionally, looks like I already have 9 of the 55 games from the Summer Steam Sale indie bundles reviewed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_nFKGkpI9c&list=PL7A9FE6FB8D89A9D4

I’ll be posting 17 more that I already own throughout the next few days. (10 of those I’ve already reviewed in previous indie bundles, but I’ll do slightly more comprehensive reviews for the new posts)

HermitUK says:

Picked this up earlier in the week just for The Journey Down. It’s worth it just for that, honestly.

• Unfair says:

Yeah, Journey Down and Dino Run SE were my favorites.

AirMech is interesting too if you like DOTA type games and didn’t get a beta key from the other IR bundle (though it will be free to play once it’s out of beta)

2. Jimbo says:

Patrician 3, yay or nay?

• Danny252 says:

If trading is your sort of thing, no reason not to go for it, especially for $3 (£2 at today’s exchange rate) – it’s fairly pretty, and I don’t recall ever having any big issues on it (didn’t put in too many hours, though). A few questionable translations into English (German-made iirc), but only of the eyebrow-raising level, rather than an actual issue

3. bigjig says:

Green Man Gaming has got a 25% off everything sale for this weekend if anyone’s interested. I managed to snag Hitman Absolution for US $33 that way.

4. LionsPhil says:

Just a warning for those looking at Steam’s weekend deal, Wargame: European Escalation: it has third-party limited activation DRM.

• Bostec says:

What a big pile of tissue wank, I already brought the thing. No matter, some good has come out of it, that link is the bomb. Bookmarked. Its shocking how much DRM is about nowadays. Cheers!

Malibu Stacey says:

You might want to ask for a refund from Steam support. I bought the Bioshock pack a while back (have the first on DVD but not the second) without realising the Bioshock 2 requires GFWL.
        They were happy enough to refund to my Steam wallet.

• DrGonzo says:

You should have just played the game. It was really rather good. The Drm wouldn’t have hurt you or your computer. I don’t like Drm either, but but missing out on a game because of it is crazy on par with a tinfoil hat.

• Terragot says:

Thanks man, nearly bought this one. I say bought but I guess the term ‘rented’ or ‘used’ would be more appropriate.

Fucking DRM, Will let others know, Thanks again!

5. empyrion says:

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena disappointing? I think not. It’s just different than the first, that’s all. But maybe I’m biased, I rather like the Riddick universe anyway.

• alundra says:

You’ve no idea how much have I been wanting to get that game from steam, but it’s infected with TAGES, which won’t even install on Win 7.

Could you comment on both the drm status (prolly free) and how is the compatibility under Windows 7?? Is this GOG version the same as Steam’s?? Not that I’m expecting it to be activate-able on steam, just checking if it’s the same game.

• empyrion says:

Personally, I haven’t had trouble installing the Steam version on Windows 7. Regardless, every game on GOG.com is DRM free, so no more TAGES (yay). I haven’t installed this GOG version, but usually if they say that it is supposed to work on a specific Windows version, it does. So I wouldn’t expect any problems on Windows 7.

• Xocrates says:

I got the GOG version, and it both runs fine on Windows 7 and is DRM free.

A fairly important footnote though, the game includes a file that antivirus aren’t very fond of (apparently a leftover from TAGES), so you may have to turn your antivirus off or create an exception in order to get the game to run.

Carra says:

The same here, I won’t buy the TAGES protected game.

Now that it’s on gog.com though, I’ll happily buy it. The original is an excellent game.

• Unaco says:

I picked up Assault on Dark Athena for really cheap on Steam (£3?) couple years ago. Haven’t played it much (I had played most of Butcher Bay already, and planned to play it again, then start Dark Athena, but other games got in the way) but it’s on Windows 7 (64 bit) and I don’t remember having any difficulties getting it to run at all.

• alundra says:

I was never able to install it, not without admin rights to TAGES and there is no fucking way I’m doing that, the OS would always come up with an error message related to an unstable/unsafe driver.

Thank you all, I’m grabbing this one right away!

• TariqOne says:

Seconded. Dark Athena is terrific good fun. It is known.

Malibu Stacey says:

I’ve got it for Sony’s console toy. Haven’t got to the Dark Athena bit yet as I never played Escape from Butcher Bay until now so I’m finishing that first & enjoying every minute of it.

• DrGonzo says:

The dialogue and acting in Dark Athena is fantastic, and far better than the original game. But it doesn’t play as well in my opinion.

6. Mechorpheus says:

For some reason, the Painkiller Complete Pack is advertised at £19.99 rather than £4. Do I need to do something special to get that price??

7. rokahef says:

I’m undecided about the paradox bundle, and could use some opinions from the Hivemind.

I already have everything from the Magicka bundle except the “Stars are Left” expansion. And with the steam sale coming up, i wouldn’t be surprised to see Magicka on sale again (50-70%).

The only other game i’m interested in there is Crusader Kings 2, but it doesn’t include their new Sword of Islam expansion. Is it worth going for the whole bundle just for vanilla crusader kings 2 ? Or should i wait another 3-6 months and get it when it’s complete?

• Zwebbie says:

@rokahef: Crusader Kings II with its first six DLCs was just €12,50 instead of €16,27 a few weeks ago on Steam, and €10 without the DLC (I wouldn’t know the price in pounds or dollars, but this is about 30% more), so there’s a fair chance it could be dropped to that again when Steam holds its infamous summer sale.

As for Sword of Islam, Crusader Kings II is a bit of a hit or miss game. You’ll either love it and spend hundreds of hours with in, in which case I think even the current full price of SoI isn’t an unfair amount of money to pay; or you’ll dislike the game for its vast amount of often meaningless micromanagament and complexity, in which case SoI is probably even worse and you’d never bother to play it. And you can wait for Sword of Islam easily, because it only adds playability to the Islamic characters, so you’d only have any use of it, probably, after having played a Christian game or two first, which already takes dozens of hours.

So my personal advice would be to buy CKII in the next Steam sale, where it’s bound to pop up, and if it turns out you like it, the DLCs, including SoI, will be worth it even at their full prices. I bought the game that few weeks ago when it was cheap with its first DLCs, but I haven’t really got the patience for a game like this anymore and don’t really like it, so I’ll never listen to the Songs of the Holy Land or use the Ruler Creator. Not that I’m complaining for the mere €2,50 extra the DLC cost me, but was still a waste in hindsight.

• Gasmask Hero says:

None of the CK2 DLCs are an absolute must have, certainly not in the sense of HOI3 or Vicky 2. You could easily get by with the base game and you wouldn’t be missing anything.

Just buy the vanilla and worry about the DLC later.

• rokahef says:

Thanks guys! Will get it in the sale then.

8. alundra says:

Be warned that Amazon has been blocking accounts, on security grounds, of people using fake address, the general consensus is that you are ok as long as you don’t fake an address, for example

123 Fake St.

Do not use fake address!

• Gnoupi says:

Your bank can also block the payment if the billing address doesn’t match the one you should have. I had this happening with GetGamesGo.

If it was a paypal payment, sure, you can go wild with the billing address, they won’t really care, and your bank pays money to Paypal only. But for any case where you use your credit card to buy online, you’d rather not lie on the billing address. Because it is indeed fraud (for example, you won’t pay VAT on that), and even without considering this, your bank might want to protect you from an unauthorized payment, happening in another country than the one you should be in. Billing address is something serious in a transaction.

Yes, there are really great deals on Amazon. But it’s probably not worth the risk, to save a few euros/pounds. Moreover that if it actually works, you will probably pay them as bank taxes anyway.

LTK says:

Blatant lies. The redditor himself says he got his account back already, so even if it was related to using a US address that wasn’t his (which is unlikely) it wasn’t enough to deny him permanent access.

You can read the details on the forum:

• Gnoupi says:

For the Amazon account, sure, but that doesn’t make lying on the billing address something which is ok.

• alundra says:

Blatant lies?? Learn to read please, thank you.

nasKo says:

Finally! Got CK2. Let’s hope it doesn’t go 85% off during the Steam Summer Sale (starting 12th of July).

10. SkittleDiddler says:

Anyone who loves sandbox games and WWII games should pick up The Saboteur. Awesome and totally underrated. One of my all-time faves.

Just be aware it has some glaring technical glitches, like a map that doesn’t mark quest locations properly.

• RakeShark says:

Aye, if you can get past the stereotypical Hollywood Irishman main character, it’s a nice deviation from your standard WWII “America, FUCK YEAH!” On sale, it’s worth the look.

• Jason Moyer says:

I loved The Saboteur when I played it on my old 4:3 monitor, but it’s pretty difficult to play now at 1080p. It’s VERT- and the map breaks at that resolution for some reason.

11. TaroYamada says:

No mention of Binary Domain for $10? Ubeinutz? Well anyways folks, Binary Domain is $10 link they had Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai for $7.49, but it ended.

12. rustybroomhandle says:

On Steam, apparently just re-released:

Divine Divinity for $6:

13. camelfrommars says:

Used the whole Amazon.com-buying-from-the-UK workaround (for the first time), all went fine, but Steam doesn’t seem to want to recognise the product keys (It’s the Burnout, Mirror’s Edge pack I bought). I take it I’m doing something moronic? Or is it not supposed to accept them?

• Unfair says:

They have a pretty limited list of games they support serials for:

You can always download from Amazon and add to your Steam list as an external game after it’s installed though – that’s what I do for all my DRM free games.

• bulletbill88 says:

The only time EA published titles will activate on Steam is if you purchase them directly through Steam. An EA game purchased from Amazon won’t activate on Steam. FWIW, it will activate on EA’s Origin service.

ordteapot says:

Worth mentioning:

If you get the $7.49 “Pint Sized Paradox Package” and $12.49 “Plentiful Paradox Package”, it gets you the same goodies from the $19.99 “Plethora” package, plus Sword of the Stars I and II AND costs 1 cent less (most importantly). I assume the the pricing works out similarly in GBP or Euro, but I’ll leave it to someone that actually has those monies in their wallet to check.

Or, if you’re not interested in all of the games in the full Plethora-package, one of the smaller ones might be more up your alley individually.

10. Plentiful Paradox Package – $12.49 (all are Steam activate-able) runs 7/1-7/7 contains:
    Crusader Kings II [Download]

Crusader Kings II: Songs of Albion DLC [Online Game Code]
    Crusader Kings II: Songs of Faith DLC [Online Game Code]
    Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land DLC [Online Game Code]
    Majesty Gold [Online Game Code]
    Warlock: Master of the Arcane [Download]
    Majesty 2 Collection

those lists yanked from a big post on the amazon sale at neogaf

• pakoito says:

I’ve been waiting for this almost a month and I nearly missed it!!

Is it Steam-friendly?

EDIT: Just read they are. Are they US-only like the last one?

Yes, us only. I need someone to smuggle them for me:

Malibu Stacey says:

I live in the UK & purchased them using a billing address I generated from http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/
        I paid using my usual debit card details (UK) which I use for all my Amazon purchases so no data smuggling required.

BTW if they add “sales tax” to the price you’re being charged, use a billing address in a different US state. California seems to work fine for me.

Malibu Stacey says:

I purchased these & confirm they all add to Steam. I bought the Plentiful pack when it was on sale last month which gave me Steam keys for CK2, SotS2 & the Magicka game + DLCs. I recently received an e-mail from Amazon with newly added Steam keys for SotS Complete Collection and Victoria II which I believe new purchasers will get automagically.

Even though I already had Magicka & SotS Complete (already given my duplicates away to friends), it’s still well worth £13 for 3 brand new games (CK2, SotS2 & Warlock) without considering the rest.

Thoroughly recommend SotS Complete for people into strategy games. One of the best space 4X games I’ve played since Galactic Civilizations II.

• Targaff says:

That’s a tad irritating, given I picked up the Plethora pack earlier in the week. Still, I can hardly complain that I was ripped off…

15. wild_quinine says:

The GreenmanGaming 25% sale should be the cheapest way to get Endless Space. (17.25 for the ‘Admiral Edition’).

16. Iliya Moroumetz says:

All this talk about rezzing, derezzing, and not a single mention of Tron?

Son, I am disappoint.

17. Dreforian says:

If anyone harped on the merits of Disciples 2, I missed it. So then, harp harp harp!
    Disciples 2 Gold in the Strategy First bundle is…well, it’s worth actual gold as far as turn-based strategy goodness goes. Darkstar One is solid as well, space sim for those who aren’t married to neutonian physics but still want to get their galaxy on.

18. eclipse mattaru says:

“A depressed love-ruined artist had Italian streets and buildings regularly stampeded by a bull.”

It’s been a while, but wasn’t Black Velvetopia a pretty Mexican-ish place? I seem to remember the guy in whose mind the level took place had a pretty strong Latino thing going on, and then there were luchadores and bullfighters and stuff. At best, it was that sort of Hollywood Limbo that shamelessly mixes Spain and Mexico, but I don’t remember anything particularly Italian about it.

At any rate, it is a good moment to go and buy Psychonauts again, so everybody should damn well be doing that.

19. Werthead says:

“a game based on a failed attempt to launch a movie franchise had any right to be”

Well, they are making a third RIDDICK movie right now, so I don’t know how ‘failed’ it actually was :-)

• standardman says:

Oh it was a pretty massive flop, I remember hearing talk of two to three planned sequels before it was released, poorly received and didn’t even break even at the box office. Lewie was telling me about the new one, though. Sounds like they’re going back to something smaller like Pitch Black, which was actually a good film.

20. Flyinglotus42 says:

Just a warning for anyone wanting to buy Chronicles of Riddick, seems the old DRM they got around has messed it up and now the game won’t even launch for me, rather disappointing really.

21. windieorquickload says:

Fair warning to those unfamiliar with Psychonauts: if you’re used to modern video games, the controls are mind-bogglingly awful. I had to give up on the game after failing the same boss fight 10 times in a row. The game tells you to “lock on” to the boss, but the camera speed is painfully slow (you can speed it up, but then you can’t land jumps anymore), the camera auto-rotates to look in front of you, you’re running away from the boss because a few hits mean instant death, and the “lock onto enemy” button only works if the camera is facing an enemy. Ocarina of Time had smoother controls and came out 8 years earlier.