Headline With A ? – Is This The Steam Summer Sale?

By Alec Meer on July 9th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Definitely? NO

What a bloody funny world it is to live in these days. Not content with leaking the existence of most every major game before it’s even announced, the internet lately feels it’s necessary to also spread advance, unofficial word about big discount events. A dedicated explore of Steam’s database files has allegedly thrown up alleged details on what allegedly might allegedly be the alleged Steam Summer alleged Sale, which allegedly includes the following games and packs allegedly discounted enormously. There are dozens of the blighters. Allegedly.

We don’t have prices yet, but here’s what we might possibly potentially maybe perhaps you never know be in for across the first 11 days of the sale, in terms of bundled packs:

Day 1: Anomaly Warzone Earth, The Baconing, Cave Story+, EDGE, Lone Survivor.
Day 2: Botanicula, E.Y.E, Oil Rush, Splice, Universe Sandbox,
Day 3: Bit Trip Beat, Braid, Bunch of Heroes, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Runespell Overture,
Day 4: A Valley Without Wind, Atom Zombie Smasher, Blocks that Matter, Sanctum, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP,
Day 5: Audio Surf, Gemini Rue, Greed Corp, Tiny Bang Story, Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Day 6: Awesome, Defcon, Space Chem, Ticket to Ride, Trauma
Day 7: Avadon, Dungeons of Dredmor, Qube, Vessel, Zombie Driver
Day 8: Demolition Inc, Hoard, Sol Exodus, Swords and Soldiers HD, Wings of Prey,
Day 9: Capsized, Jamestown, Revenge of the Titans, VVVVVV, Zeno Clash
Day 10: All Zombies Must Die, Beat Hazard, Bit trip Runner, Eufloria, Machinarium
Day 11: Hydrophobia, Orion: Dino Beatdown, Star Ruler, Waveform, World of Goo

Day 4 would be my major pick there. Then ALLEGEDLY ALRIGHT ALLEGEDLY we’ll also be seeing this stuff go through the atom price-smasher:

1C Collection Pack
Adam’s Venture Complete Bundle Retail
Anno 2070 Pack
Batman Arkham Asylum, Batman Arkham City and Batman Gotham City Imposters Bundle
Bethesda Collection (BRINK, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Hunted)
Bioshock Franchise Pack
BIT.TRIP.BEAT Bundle
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER Bundle
Carpe Fulger Bundle (Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale, Chantelise, Fortune Summoners)
Civilization Collection
Command and Conquer Franchise
Dawn of War Franchise Pack
Dead Island Complete
Duke Nukem Bundle
Foreign Legion Bundle
Kalypso Collection (Tropico, Jagged Alliance, Airline Tycoon, etc)
Majesty Franchise
Paradox Collection (Magicka + dlcs, Mount and Blade, etc)
Pendulo Adventure Pack
Railworks 3 – Summer Sale Collection
Red Orchestra Franchise Pack (ROW)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Bundle
Saints Row: The Third Franchise Pack
Sniper Elite Franchise Pack
Square Hit Collection (Hitman, Tomb Raider, Just Cause 2, Deus Ex, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Quantum Conundrum, Thief)
Stardock Collection Pack
Strategy First Complete Pack
Sword of the Stars Franchise
THQ Collection (Dawn of War, Warhammer, Stalker, Nexuiz, Darksiders, Metro 2033, etc)
Total War: Shogun 2 Pack
Victoria Franchise
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Pack
Wings of Prey

Blimey. Poverty never looked quite so entertaining, eh?

This comes via the Bronasium’s (what a name!) rifle through Steam’s content description files, though I first saw it on the Reddits.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. bluebogle says:

It’s an interesting feeling, knowing I’ll be broke very soon, and genuinely looking forward to that moment.

2. marlin says:

I was told that it was ‘allegedly’ due to start on the 12th…

• hosndosn says:

A dev (official moderator stamp and all) essentially leaked the date on the Steam forums. Unless he’s either a massive troll or massively uninformed, that seems like a good bet.

Further it’s when the Pyro thing for TF2 ends, Summer sales traditionally take 11 days and 23rd is when the Killing Floor event ends and another dev said their game due August 1st comes out a week after the Summer Sale (ends 23rd if it follows previous years’ patterns). Plus all the Steam registry updates (main source of this article) came in the past week or so, so something is close.

I see it as all but confirmed.

3. JayArr says:

I do hope Just Cause 2 comes up. I want to play that insane multiplayer mod – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3MZ_Qaup7g

• millerm277 says:

JC2 was on sale for $3.74 on GamersGate last week, why didn’t you just buy it there?

• Revisor says:

That’s right. 2012 is the year of THE OTHER digital sellers. Gamersgate, GOG.com, GMG and lately Amazon are all really stepping on the gas. It’s the first year that I have made the majority of my digital gaming purchases outside of Steam (admittedly consciously trying to do so).

So meet us in the RPS forum thread PC bargains.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

That awkward feeling when Origin has a ridiculous sale before Steam.

• Suits says:

That awkward feeling when EA prior to that said that those deep discount devalue the products/IPs.

• dE says:

Let’s hope they also step on the pedal when it comes to payment options. So far every other digital retailer has put me off by only accepting credit card or paypal.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Isn’t that basically how you pay for anything online?

• dE says:

Sadly for about 80% of all online shops, yes.
            There are different solutions to paypal. Paysafecard for example. Some allow charge by SMS or several other solutions.

It’s really a missed opportunity. Not everyone, especially younger ones, have access to creditcards. In some cases (mine) it’s because I recently migrated to another country. Which for some reason bullshit kicked my credit rating into negative million areas, even though my financial situation improvement quite a bit.

And Paypal – well that’s paypal. With a tendency to screw over people, I’d really rather not use Paypal. Besides, most online shops insist that you absolutely have to use Paypal with a linked Creditcard too. Which makes the whole point moot again.

• Universal Quitter says:

Isn’t your debit card a credit card? If you are too young to have a debit card, you’re too young to buy things online without adult supervision. That’s the way the system is set up. If you don’t have a checking account, well I don’t see how you can function as an adult in western society without one. Or are European banking and monetary systems vastly different from North American ones?

• realityflaw says:

Are prepaid debit cards not available in your part of the world?

• dE says:

In my case it’s not a question of being “too young”. I’m well over 30 years old. In my case it’s got to do with migration, I moved from one country to another and for some reason my old bank got pretty pissy when I had to cancel my old account. Their payback was a slamhammer on my credit-rating which means no credit card for me for the next 5 (now 4) years, at which point their negative remark will be removed automatically.
            Also while there are debit cards, they’re almost always tied to credit cards. You’ve got the choice between seriously mad fees (20% of what you pay… no kidding) prepaid cards or direct debit, which is tied to a credit card and works as a middle man.

Also as a note: The earliest you can get a credit card here, since someone wanted to play the age card, is 16 years. Quite contract-worthy if you ask me. And that’s an extremely limited card which you can’t use for online purchases and is little more than a normal account with fancy words on it. At the age of 18, you can get one if you’re lucky enough to have steady and high income (above average), which they want proof of.

There are quite a few differences. Most important one: Credit Card really isn’t that widespread in Europe. It’s more of a luxury good in some of the countries. Better still, most countries have their own private solution which prove quite tricky in international business affairs.

• Suits says:

Steam is one of the two only digital distributors that support my local payment options tbh.

• povu says:

JC2 is even a Steamworks game, so the Gamersgate copy activated on Steam.

4. niranjanr says:

Oh god almighty have I been waiting for this moment. It’s like I’ve been on a diet of fruit and now I get cake. Fruit of course are games that are boring that have been played repeatedly, cake is Squre Enix pack. And THQ pack.

5. dmadrfe says:

This looks like the Humble Steam Summer Sale…

• Rinox says:

Those are just the daily bundles and the general bundles. The daily sales will feature a lot bigger names than those games. I presume.

• jonfitt says:

Yes, I hope there are some bigger names when the sale actually starts. Those are all from small/indie devs and I have all the ones I want.

• belgand says:

It’s not even that they’re indie games, it’s that most of them have already been sold as part of the Humble Indie Bundle in the past so you should already have both a DRM-free copy and activation codes for Steam. Considering how often they’ve been mining their past bundles as bonuses (I think Braid has been offered around 3 times now) it seems like a better idea to just wait if you don’t already have them.

6. Forceflow says:

That list does not contain the individual games which might go on sale, but a good indication on which publishers participate in the sale.

7. Yosharian says:

I can thoroughly recommend Space Marine for the fiver I paid for it, it was a good blast for the money. Apart from that, I’m really not seeing anything of interest. Dead Island is the only remotely interesting one and even that’s a bit pants really. If they sell the STALKER games separately I might pick up one of the expansions. In any case I got my hands full replaying KOTOR at the moment, woop woop.

• pakoito says:

SPPPPPPPPPPPACE MARINE!!!

• lepercake says:

E.Y.E. is a million times better than Spess Marheen >:(

• SkittleDiddler says:

E.Y.E is a complete mess, but at least it’s fun to play. Space Marine is simply a drag.

• abandonhope says:

Most disappointing, half-baked turd of a game I have ever played in all my life. And I played E.T. on the 2600.

“Hey, look! It’s an RPG! Woops, no it’s not.”

• dE says:

Funny, different opinions and all, it was my personal game of the year and I’ve put well over 30 hours into it and still enjoy it – as well as discover new and interesting things.
          I reckon it’s one of those titles that take warming up to.

• Gnoupi says:

You gain brouzoufs!
        You gain brouzoufs!
        You gain brouzoufs!

Meh.

• RobF says:

I liked them both for entirely different reasons :D

I liked EYE because, although flawed, it was brassy as fuck and it’s easy to see where they were reaching. They didn’t always get there but I’ll take that. I’ll take reaching and not quite making it over not even trying. And it’s amazingly batshit. I spent most of it having no idea what was going on or what I was doing until I’d done it and even then, that wasn’t quite guaranteed. Also, swords.

And I liked Space Marine, partly for not having any swearing in (bizarre considering I swear like a trooper but it’s nice to play a game which isn’t yelling “YOU BASTARD” down your lughole every five minutes in tiresome videogame repeat-o ways) and for being the best dumb game about hitting things in ages. Especially with the jumppack which felt *so* good. Also, chainswords.

• Yosharian says:

Dude, the jumppack sequences were some of the best fun I’ve had in a game for a long while. And using the force hammer like a golf club on downed orc nobz is the shit.

8. iainl says:

Hands up who believes in a Steam Sale with no Valve bundle?

• TheApologist says:

And no Ubisoft that I can see

• alundra says:

It was weird all around not having an steam sale at the usual summer time. No idea what was going thru valve’s minds, all I know is that amazon moved in for the kill and offered huge deals.

Valve has got to come up with something big, really big, I mean, between the disappointment, rage, and hard to beat deals found elsewhere they lost quite a bunch of sales for this….sale.

9. pakoito says:

Checked against my wishlist, this year I am safe :)

• Phinor says:

You are never safe. Not from Steam sales.

• nasenbluten says:

I am safe too since last summer, also too many games that I haven’t even tried, I wont buy anymore for now.

• Teovald says:

Since I follow the sales pretty regularly I am starting to run out of games I want to buy. Weird feeling.

• aliksy says:

That’s what’s happening to me. Other than a few games that aren’t out yet (gw2, torchlight2, orcs must die 2.. so many sequels) I’m pretty caught up on my backlog.

• Magus44 says:

I’m in the same boat as well. Caught up on pretty much everything, waiting for TL2 and GW2 and Retro City Rampage ad some others.
          I’m scouring Desura for things that I have missed and trying to get into Betas hahaha.
          And playing Dynasty Warriors 7 on PS3. I feel dirty.

10. Mechorpheus says:

I guess its a good thing, but at this point everything which I might have found interesting in that list I already own. My wallet might get a break this time.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Yeah, it seems that only old games are going on sale (according to that list), the most recent game in the bundles is A Valley Without Wind I think.
      There’s probably a lot of things we don’t know about yet though.

11. Bobka says:

Hm, I have a lot of those indie games already… are we reaching a point were almost all high-profile indie games have already been saled enough that most of the interested players already have them? That was the feeling I got with the last Humble Indie Bundle, and now I’m getting that feeling again. Have we passed Peak Indie Games?

Most of the bigger games I’m hoping for are quite new, and I’m not sure they’ll end up be on steep sale. Gods & Kings, SoaSE:Rebellion, and The Walking Dead are my big targets, but I’m not hopeful.

I’m sure something will slip through my defenses though. Can’t wait!

12. bear912 says:

That indie bundle list would be lovely if I didn’t own at least one (often several) of the games from every one of those daily bundles. It’s still lovely, just mostly lovely for other people. To be honest, I’ll probably won’t actually be spending much money on them, rather focusing on daily deals for individual games, larger budget titles, and publisher packs. One of these days I still need to round out my id Software collection…

• spezz says:

I’m in the same boat. Looks like we need people to make more indie games, stat!

• Shuck says:

Yeah, I’m in the same boat as well. i’ve been buying too many indie games, obviously.

13. phelix says:

Can’t wait for the STALKER bundle. I lost my retail copies some time ago, Piratebay is blocked in my country and I don’t feel like going to the more shady torrent websites to get a -probably- infected unupdatable copy of a brilliant game I should’ve bought on Steam a long time ago.

• Forceflow says:

Disclaimer: this is just an informative comment, I’m not condoning piracy or encouraging people to pirate games, I just find the pirate bay blockades all over the world downright silly.

But most definitely buy the Stalker bundle – going through Call of Pripyat with the Complete mod was one of my gaming highlights of the recent years.

14. Baka says:

No Bohemia, eh?
    Guess I have to buy Operation Arrowhead full-priced after all.

15. Ian says:

Oi, sale-deciding-people. I’ve just finished Assassin’s Creed 2 so Brotherhood and Revelations available for two quid a piece would be just the ticket.

That’s not too demanding, right? RIGHT?

• Suits says:

Considering the list prices that refuse to go down I say ‘no’. Also if you played AC2 there is no reason to play the “sequels” imo and just wait for AC3, but I guess if you don’t want anything else.

16. fish99 says:

Hoping to see Arma 2 CO in a daily.

• Mr Bismarck says:

It’s currently #1 on Steam at full price, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it does not appear as a daily.

• RonnieBoy says:

Yeah, been holding off buying this full price, hoping for one of those 75+% off days

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

If you buy it direct from BI, it’s £15 rather than the usual £25 right now—either the Steam version or not: https://store.bistudio.com/

17. TheApologist says:

I’m hoping for Driver San Francisco and AC Revelations m’self. Two quintessential ‘I’ll wait for a sale’ games

• Forceflow says:

If only they would remove that horrible DRM from Drivers:SF.

• TheApologist says:

Yep – it’s one of the reasons the game is worth far less to me. I’ll spend a few quid on it, but sold in the way it is I wouldn’t touch it for any more.

These are questions of value not principle to my mind.

• grundus says:

I got Driver: SF from GetGames for £5 and there’s none of that DRM, nor is there in the Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood I got on Steam for the same price in the same week. I thoroughly researched to make sure before I bought either because I got seriously stung on Splinter Cell: Conviction.

We are talking about the uPlay always online thing, right?

• TheApologist says:

That’s good news, but it goes to show that confusing the consumer is something Ubisoft risk with their mix of DRM strategies. Their games are effectively devalued in my mind until I find out different.

I don’t get confused about what CD Projekt do with their games…

• SkittleDiddler says:

After a first-time connection check, Ubisnot are now allowing us to play the game offline. You still have to deal with the UPlay launcher though.

18. 0positivo says:

I’m actually quite surprised that i’m not seeing magicka in those lists

19. Jimbo says:

“Carpe Fulger Bundle” sounds FILTHY. I’m in.

20. Bhazor says:

The one time of year when Steam is actually the same price as Amazon retail.

21. SquidInABox says:

I know for a fact that list is not complete.

As others have said: That’s just the bundles that will be allegedly available I would expect every single thing on Steam to be reduced in price by some degree. In fact I’d suspect the easiest way to identify what may be a daily deal during the sale is to find the games that aren’t discounted by more than 30% once it starts.

22. millerm277 says:

As a reminder to everyone: This list is ONLY things that are going to be bundled. Individual games going on sale (which there will be plenty of), aren’t going to show up until the day of, because they don’t have to add them to the database, they just have to change the price.

• Gaytard Fondue says:

This isn’t even the complete list, it’s just the items that have been modified/updated so far, they’re adding new stuff every day. And yeah, it’s not a leak as some people want you to think. If you follow the official summer sale thread on the steam forums you’ve seen all this days ago.

23. SquidInABox says:

Indie devs are willing to have their games bundled with games from other indie devs while Publishers tend to insist on their games having their own bundles because they don’t like sharing money. Since this list is only the bundles not all the discounted games indie bundles will stand out more on the daily list.

24. faillord_adam says:

I hope you can buy Batman: AC on it’s own. I already have AA.

25. Gnoupi says:

And as usual, reading a list of indie games on sale for me goes like this:

“Got it, got it, not interested, got it, got it, got it, got it,…..”

Have to stop buying them on release, obviously, and keep some for later.

26. Urthman says:

It’s always interesting how deep into the obscure games Steam goes for daily deals in the week or so leading up to the big sales. Insecticide? Steam sale has got to coming this week.

27. JackDandy says:

Word on the net says this’ll start on the 12th…

There’s a bunch of stuff there I’ve been eyeballing, so this couldn’t come at a better date!

28. Kinth says:

It seems the bundles are going to be far better than the individual sales this time.

The Individual sales are mostly indie games that you can get for uber cheap anyway and most of which were in the Winter sale. The only one I would have got was dungeons of dredmor which I picked up the whole collection for £5 last week.

The bundle son the other hand if priced right could be amazing.

29. SkittleDiddler says:

I’m ignoring the Summer Seal this year. After the pure stupidity of the Winter Sale’s coal and the disappointing ticket program from last year, I have no urge to sink any more time into a system that favors heavy spending over customer loyalty. The annual sales are now nothing but glorified marketing schemes anyway.

I literally bought every game that was on my wishlist in May. I picked up dozens of indie games (all those tasty bundles) and got my fill of all the AAA titles I ignored earlier because of their original prices. Only one purchase was made from Steam, the rest were grabbed from Gamers Gate, Get Games, GMG, and Amazon.

Steam is no longer the price leader, and my shopping habits reflect that. There are better deals out there.

30. Tei says:

Its weird how Valve has managed to create this expectation about his summer sales. I probably already have all the games that Valve may try to sell me, but I am excited anyway. Is not rational.

31. Mr. Mister says:

Just Cause 2 is gonna get crazy with the multiplayer mod public tests and maybe even release.

32. RagingLion says:

Nothing here really interests me. Of the bundles there’s never more than one game in one that I really want or don’t have already.

I could do with AC:Revelations I think – maybe I just have all the games I need already.

33. spectone says:

I quit buying games from sales after realising that I was collecting them and not actually playing them.

34. thegooseking says:

Ugh. Bad month to buy a new graphics card and have no money left over for games…

35. fish99 says:

Some people seem confused about the list – this is just the bundles (including daily indie bundles), but does not include the individual daily deals, which usually have the biggest discounts.

36. frightlever says:

I haven’t finished the stuff I bought in the 2010 sale yet.

37. CyberBrent says:

I hope to see Iron Front: Liberation 1944. WW2 ArmA seems right up my alley and if I don’t play it before ArmA3 I don’t know if I ever will. That’s how hard my life is.

38. RegisteredUser says:

I’m not alone thinking “own most of those already” for the indies, and “I don’t care for you DRM bearing scum / crapgames of old” for most of the packs, am I?

So many people are excited for this it seems, yet I’ve been through at least 2 sale cycles and each time was hard pressed to see ANYTHING to pique my interest.

Mostly because what already had been out for years I either checked out already or disliked, and right now I don’t really have many games I’d still like to buy. The stuff I’m curious about isn’t out yet(the X-Com remake..and a couple of kickstarters. Gosh I can’t even think of much cool upcoming, either, due to most being manshoot mc shootington: sequel harder 9000 or the same for the respective genre*sigh*), what is out is either DRM-ified or sounds/looks/plays crappy.

Maybe I’m just getting old.

39. belgand says:

These are also all pretty much the same games/bundles that have been on sale recently. Not just the Humble Bundle games, but go look at the Amazon sale currently happening, now back to this, they’re basically exactly the same. Hell, Steam put up Divine Divinity only a few days after GOG had it on sale and I’d thought that if any place was going to have unique sales it’d be GOG.

I still suspect that this might be part of a planned campaign. The sale has been late in coming, details start leaking, but then Valve turns around and surprises us with some awesome stuff we weren’t expecting… along with all of these things that we’ve already seen everywhere else by now.

40. Cute stuff and blood says:

Hey, as long as Orion: Dino Beatdown is there, we’ll all be just fine.

41. rentonx says:

Why is it every Steam sale, there’s a feeling of excitement and fear. I can’t wait until this winter sale. Last summer I stumbled upon a Steam community site which gifts Free games to its users for being a member. You simple request any game from steam and they will gift it to you.