You Winarium Or You Diearium: Survarium

By Adam Smith on July 9th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

A new developer diary for Survarium, which is not STALKER 1.5, STALKER 2 or STALKER Online, fails to dispel such notions entirely by referring to anomalies and artifacts at the first possible opportunity. A finely edited montage of horrors explains how the world died this time around and creeping botanical nightmares make even the talking head sections quite unnerving. Then there’s explanation of levels, purchases and perks, and the two game modes: team combat and co-op. Then, right at the end, a man with a magnificent beard appears to talk about One More Mode (cue: Daft Punk’s One More Time).

Free play mode in free to play game. Everybody’s free (cue: Daft Punk’s One More Time).

There are hints of persistence, not only in unlocking new skills and equipment, but also in factions’ opinions of a player and the difficulty and ‘events’ of one co-op mission being altered based on a team’s performance in the one before.

I’m happy to accept the game as what it is, and despite flinching whenever I hear or read the words ‘free to play’ I can’t help but feel my curiosity attempting to overpower me. As the embigennable screenshots below show, it looks all ruined and lovely.

All the leaves aren’t brown and the sky’s not gray (cue: Daft Punk’s One More Time).

, , , , .

1. TsunamiWombat says:

Needs “Magnificent Beard” tag

PS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8

2. Gesadt says:

well stalker online is pretty much DayZ isnt it

• kataras says:

Eh no…????

• Bhazor says:

No. This is Stalker Online. And it is terrible.

• SteamTrout says:

Technically STALKER Online is DayZ with landmines being sprinkled everywhere.

Or it’s just an evening stroll for some cigs in one of the Kiev’s “sleeping” districts :P

• Unaco says:

DayZ is very close to a STALKER online, yes. I kinda wish it would go in that direction, or once it’s more complete and developed, if we (the mod community) can get their hands on it, and branch it out in that direction.

3. EPICTHEFAIL says:

That looks fucking amazing. Needs more brown though.

• Hoaxfish says:

less soviet era missiles

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Trololol post edit. Also, i`ve seen enough such villages around here that i know what i`m talking about :D.

4. Hoaxfish says:

I like the little sunny concrete shelter thing, makes me think of hippies (who probably mutated into cannibals when everyone else was forced to actually live off the land)

5. Bhazor says:

I can’t stand Daft Punk.

On topic

They really seem confused on what they’re making. Half the team insist it has nothing to do with Stalker then the other half heavily imply that it is. The other problem is that I don’t have enough confidence in them to produce a game that doesn’t require multiple mods to be remotely playable. Which is a bad thing given an MMO doesn’t allow modding.

Edit: It also seems to have the same plot as The Happening. Well fuck.

• Hoaxfish says:

Marky Mark staring at trees was the most amazing film ever. It’s very popular among the vegetable community.

6. Benkyo says:

If it’s got levelling up and all that grind it’s already lost most of what made STALKER mechanically so wonderful.

The RPG/MMO thing of seeking out things to kill to get better at killing is the one of the most annoying immersion killers and gameplay hindrances out there.

DayZ sounds like a better option at this point.

• smeaa mario says:

That suggests a hint of Fallout actually and the two concepts are not entirely different than each other. Cannot really be that bad. You should expect this to turn out as an enhancement not a drawback.

• Shooop says:

And much better than that is Cryzone Sector 23. Which started out as just some folks making a Crysis 2 mod but now making it a full stand-alone game.

As of June 7, they said they almost have a beta.

7. kataras says:

Whinearium!

On a serious note, I like the screenshots but even as a Stalker fanatic, I am not very interested in this… I guess it wouldn’t hurt to keep an eye on it.

And no Dayz is not Stalker. PERIOD.

• Jay says:

Yeah, I really don’t see much similarity beyond the theme of surviving in a harsh environment. The focus of the games seem very different.

8. kaoswielder says:

WARSTALKER

WARSURVIVE

SURVIVEWAR

STALKERWAR

anyone ?

9. Xardas Kane says:

Oh world… Stop dying.

10. Kollega says:

Watching the video to see what all the fuss is about reminded me again that i really do not like post-apocalypses. I don’t get what is so enticing about “most everyone dies in terrible agony and the ones that are left have to survive at any cost”. I guess people simply can’t wrap their heads around how troublesome it is surviving day-to-day and how little hope for the future there is in such a situation. Same goes for war games, but there you can at least pretend you’re fighting for justice, freedom, and bright future for everyone.

That’s why i always preferred science fiction. Technology tends to save rather than doom you, and things like asteroid strikes and zombie outbreaks tend to be minor setbacks rather than impassable obstacles on the way to weeding out all the problems. Not saying that it can’t be grimdarkified too, but at least the starting conditions are a little better.

• Hoaxfish says:

I think post-apoc has a place, but it’s very much the “zombie genre” of future settings.

Very few games seem willing to explore a futuristic world where everything is not radically fucked up. For all its faults, Mass Effect at least tried to do space opera instead. Borderlands side-steps it by being on another planet.

Deus Ex/Cyberpunk (and cyberpunk in general) push relatively close to “fucked up future” without falling into the civilisation-level wipeout.

It’s probably easier to go with “just like us, but more fucked” in terms of writing

• Jay says:

I’d like to see more games do ‘apocalyptic’. Like the end of the world is happening right now but maybe we can turn it back.

• wodin says:

You sound like a hippy…not a bad thing..I’m one…but I also want some excitement and war and Surviving post apoc is something I probably never experience first hand so i want to go there with my imagination. Also I’m not into happy ever afters. That seems to be an American thing rather than a European thing.

Also I think people are drawn to post apoc and having to start all over again. (As long as we are the ones who survive hat is). The scenario in my head appeals. The world really could do with wiping out a vast majority of the Human population. So in a holistic way I see nothing terrible about it. As llong as either I survive or it doesn’t happen in my lifetime ;).

• The Random One says:

What’s enticing about post-apocalypse is the posterity of our world. We know that if we leave wherever it is that we live in and come back in fifty years it’ll be so differente from what we know now that we won’t recognize it. Conversely, if there was some sort of apocalypse, progress would stop, so all the things we know of this world might become ruins, but they wouldn’t be torn down to make room for minimalls.

11. Geger says:

It sure does look like stalker, but with more rainbows ;P

12. Shooop says:

Because what the gaming world really needed was another FPS MMO.

To hell with this garbage, Cryzone Sector 23 is the STALKER 2 that never happened.

• Hoaxfish says:

Cry zome more (couldn’t resist)

I’m fairly sceptical about this, but since they gave us Stalker in the first place maybe they’ll manage something interesting again.

• Shooop says:

Your optimism-fueled delusion is endearing.

• Mistabashi says:

To be fair, it isn’t the same team that brought us Stalker in the first place, a lot of those people have long since moved on.

• Shralla says:

Because there are so many MMOFPS games. Like Planetside. And… Oh yeah, Planetside. What are you even talking about?

Jackablade says:

Mushrooms – The new nazis.

14. MistyMike says:

I only now realised I kept reading it Survivarium.

15. Dances to Podcasts says:

Everybody’s free. To feel good.

bear912 says:

Well, at least it’s not subscription-based. Then I would simply never touch it. As it is, it might be alright, but I think the immersion might get a bit thin with other twits running around with you. The environmental design looks incredible as ever, though. :D

17. 23YearOldBedWetr says:

Eww that beard is gross.