Coming Soon: Serious Sam 3 BFE DLC For You And Me

By Nathan Grayson on July 10th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

But is that blood exploding, or is the explosion bleeding?

Hello there, Sam. Long time, no DLC. One of the nice things about putting words in your mouth and then regurgitating them for all the world to hear is that you can’t verbally eviscerate me for that awful pun. Oh Sam, you’re the greatest. So anyway, you say you’ve finally got some new content on the way for Serious Sam 3: BFE, huh? And it’s a campaign-extending to-do called “Jewel of the Nile”? And you think I have really awesome hair? Oh, do go on.

Here’s the basic rundown of Sam’s latest romp through the cartooniest of killing fields, courtesy of publisher Devolver Digital:

“Serious Sam 3: Jewel of the Nile follows the legendary hero to the mysterious Temple of Isis on the island of Philae where a monstrous temple guardian lies in wait. Set in the midst of the main Serious Sam 3: BFE storyline, gamers will battle through three new campaign missions against the unrelenting hordes of Mental’s forces including the re-introduction of two familiar monstrous faces. Sam’s arsenal of awesome expands as well as the two secret weapons from the main Serious Sam 3: BFE storyline – the laser gun and sniper rifle – make their way into the spotlight.”

It has, of course, been a long time in coming – especially seeing as it was beaten to the punch by BFE’s semi-ancient predecessor, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, which got a fresh infusion of DLC in May. Come October, however, all will be right with the world – or at least, the portions of the world that erupted into mass hysteria when it began to look like Sam had finally killed all of the things. And while it’s a bit of a shame that we’re going back to an Egyptian setting yet again, this is definitely better than nothing.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. magnus says:

‘And while it’s a bit of a shame that we’re going back to an Egyptian setting yet again, this is definitely better than nothing.’, well that’s going to start the moaning off, I’m afraid.

2. kregg says:

Egypt?? Damn you Croteam! All I wanted was an FPS that allows me to shoot terrorists in Afghanistan/Europe/US/Russia.

Who will meet my extremely unique gamer needs? The FPS mill is dry as a bone!!

• McDan says:

I know right! All I want is an FPS franchise that shows me lots of crazy set-pieces that I can’t interact with whilst also letting me shoot hundreds of masked “bad guys” who will probably be Russian. Though I’d settle for one that gives me basically the same settings with slightly different guns each time.

• grundus says:

I JUST WANT TO BE TOLD WHAT TO DO IN A VIDEOGAME AS WELL AS REAL LIFE

• brulleks says:

I was going to comment on this, but nobody told me to, so I decided against it.

• grundus says:

brulleks, use your keyboard and mouse to click reply and type a response!

Dammit brulleks, he’s waiting for you to say something witty and interesting! Get your response online now before he starts crying from loneliness!

brulleks, use your keyboard and mouse to click reply and type a response!

Imagine those orders being barked at you over a radio by a celebrity voice over and over. Thanks.

• kregg says:

You and me is the same, we is. We should build our own FPS game and make loads of money off it.

Give a minute though, I’ll be sketching the map layout and enemies in RPG Maker 2000. Basically the same thing really.

• McDan says:

And I will write the story on a sodden napkin, it’s basically “terrorists attack you, you fight back, slow-motion bits, cool guns!” We’ll make billions!

• JackShandy says:

Man oh man I have to get in on this. Hold on, let me just visualize some enemies. I’m just spitballing here:

-Man with machine gun
            -Man with shotgun

(sniper rifle???)

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah, what happened to the FPS genre? It’s ages since Allied Assault came out. You would have thought someone would have made another one by now. I blame the consoles and their dumbed-down space sims.

3. derbefrier says:

sweet, I always love me some Serious Sam

4. SteamTrout says:

Am I the only one who thinks the last Serious Sam is complete utter shit? I honestly can’t understand how people could compare it to the sheer simplicity and fun of the first one.

• NaN says:

No, you are not the only one. the 3rd SS is crap. Boring as hell and only get fun and REAL Serius Sam nearly the end of the game.
      The frist game was really nice, the second one was also very good, but this third is a turd.

• fish99 says:

Apart from the first few levels, it’s pretty much the same old SS formula, so no I don’t really agree. It’s certainly better than the cartoony SS2 (not to be confused with Second Encounter which is the best SS game).

Oh and the end boss was really bad, almost Bioshock end boss bad.

• Ridnarhtim says:

Yeah, I don’t really get all the complaining. It takes a while to get going, sure, but that’s about the only bad thing I can say about it. Some of the later levels were absolutely amazing. It’s the most fun I’ve had with any shooter since Second Encounter.

• Dreforian says:

I went straight from the First and Second encounters to BFE so at first I was overwhelmed by how drab the settings seemed. Crazy secrets seemed scarce and the enemies seemed dull (especially the troopers, didn’t know they were from SS2 until later). I played through the whole game, each time feeling like it got a little more “Serious” with each new weapon until I finally figured out the last boss. I put the game down for months. Recently picked it up again out of sheer boredom and started finding all kinds of stuff I’d missed the first time. The troopers are still annoying as hell and (IMO) totally inappropriate for a Sam game but the secrets are all there, big and small. I look forward to making use of my new discoveries earlier in the game and of course, the DLC. And maybe one day I’ll graduate from Serious to Mental.

5. Shortwave says:

It’s fun to play local coop survival I find, I wish MP caught on though.
    At least this wasn’t some MP DLC nonsense I suppose.
    Over all I’m glad I played this game anyways, it’s fun.

6. RegisteredUser says:

As sad as I am to say this, but as someone who has actually bought this and tried to play through it, it ended up nowhere near enjoable enough to warrant bothering with more content, let alone spend an excited weekend playing through it in the first place.

And I know I played through at least one of the SS before this one.

Again – maybe something is wrong with me(the growing old thing or something)?

Even though so much more lo-fi and simple, there was actually more draw to Defender’s Quest than Serious Sam 3..(hey, both are about mowing down hordes of enemies and trying to balance hitpoints, DPS and ideal positioning..)call me weird.

• Eukatheude says:

How far did you get? It gets A LOT better after the first hours.

• RegisteredUser says:

I have that sling-ring thing and I last remember coming out of the tomb/pyramid thing and back into a pretty open space towards other stuff..not sure how much further past that I went before just feeling exhausted again. I think I basically just finished that outside area after the tomb and then let the new level load and stopped again.
        Could be I went a bit onto the next, I vaguely remember toppling pillars with that ring in the outside world, too, with those weird ass jump-monkeys bouncing about.

I can only take so much of it at once, and that’s not a sign of an addictive game.

I was within a hair of just deinstalling it at that one arena fight against the warship, until I realized how the “solution” worked.

• fish99 says:

Serious Sam is all about the co-op. Also as Eukatheude says the first few levels are bad.

• derbefrier says:

the first few levels are not that bad really they are just slow. The game slowly introduces more and more enemies which for veterans of the series makes the first few levels pretty boring but goddamn the later levels are just as ridiculous as the older ones and even more so in co-op. in my opinion SS3 was the best FPS of the year.

• JackShandy says:

By “Solution”, you mean “Shoot until dead”?

7. Vorphalack says:

SS3, you got off to such a poor start, but won me over after that first boss fight with the space ship. I had a good time finishing this one but I doubt i’ll be rushing out to buy the DLC. I suspect this game will be like HL2, something to come back to once a year and blast through it in a weekend. Maybe i’ll buy it then when I get the urge for another play through.

• arboreal says:

I could never get past that boss fight with the spaceship. And, contrary to the consensus, I’d been quite enjoying the game up until that point.

This sort of game is beyond my rubbish FPS skills.

• RegisteredUser says:

It was/is one of their most retarded ideas.

You can actually do it quite okayish once you’ve seen a video on how to do it..still an incredibly terrible idea they had there.

• Vorphalack says:

I meant literally after the space ship boss. That’s when the levels started to open up and feel like a Sam game.

• RegisteredUser says:

IIRC the tomb level was after the spaceship, wouldn’t exactly say that was very “open”.

But I was just replying to the guy I replied to and his complaint about that battle locking him off from the rest. It almost did for me, too.

Hm, not even sure you were replying to me or how it was meant or..I’ve got a headache.

• PleasingFungus says:

It’s actually one of the simplest boss fights I’ve seen!

1) There are glowing spots on the big enemy.
        2) Shoot them until they stop glowing.
        3) Then run around until more glowing spots appear.

It’s – not that complicated?

• Nallen says:

You just shoot the huge glowing weakspots (for massive damage).

I mean it took me a few goes but I’m almost as old as the world itself and I got there in the end.

• arboreal says:

Having now looked at a video of how to do it as kindly suggested by RegisteredUser, I am now aware of the need to shoot those glowing spots. Repeatedly.

My mistake was in shooting those glowing spots a little less frequently than the game required.

Whoopsy.

8. ElvisMZ says:

‘Long time, no DLC.’ Haha I get it, also no Fork Parker statement?

9. fish99 says:

Good news, will buy.

10. Baines says:

A long time coming?

At least it exists, which is better than the still seemingly vapor-ware console ports. The most recent news I could find about it was back in May, and that was Croteam effectively saying that they might not say anything about it for another four months.

Comment on this story