Summertime And The Killin’ Is Easy: Killing Floor

By Adam Smith on July 10th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Killing Floor is an acquired taste, or at least it was for me, like chugging down a bucket full of rust and blood, with accents so dodgy they’d taken on form and floated atop the grungy broth like cockney croutons. Where Left 4 Dead directs the players’ progress, toying with them, Killing Floor has the player run around in circles, waggling their most succulent parts at the mutants and freaks, encouraging pursuit. Crowd control, herding, elimination; it’s a butchery simulation with cattle that bite back. This summer’s special event, the Summer Slideshow 2012, adds new levels, enemies and guns. The trailer would have given me nightmares when I was a boy.

Carnivals and freakshows are a natural fit for Killing Floor, which has always felt like a nasty splatter of grindhouse exploitation. It’s almost defiantly ugly, from the tattered flesh and strange surgeries of its enemies to its lack of regard for consistency, thematic or visual. It’s a mess but it can be a gloriously brutal and hilarious mess to wade through.

So, here’s what the pack includes:

Free for everyone that owns Killing Floor – auto downloaded through Steam
All new level – Hellride – experience heaven and hell as you follow the course of this doomed carnival ride
All creatures in game replaced with freak-shows themed monsters including Pukey the Clown and his side-kick, the Fleshclown
16 new Summer Sideshow achievements return only for the duration of the event
9 All new achievements added
5 new official weapons – the IJC community weapon pack has been polished up and made an official part of the game
“Steampunk Mr Foster” playable character Unlockable again for the duration of the event
New DLC Character Pack – “Urban Nightmare”

Of course, if you own the game and play it regularly you’ll already know that because the update should have installed automatically. I enjoyed the trailer though, ‘orrible as it is, and wanted to blather on about Killing Floor. And maybe you haven’t installed it for a while and this summer’s sickening will convince you to weld once more.

The event ends on July 23rd.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Network Crayon says:

Pretty scary header image that…

2. MeestaNob says:

It’s actually a rather good shooter, at least what I experienced of it during the Christmas sale after finally playing it (long after impulse buying it months earlier).

I’d gladly pay $20 for an upgrade to drag the graphics kicking and screaming up to a decent standard, however. It’s really quite ugly.

• nearly says:

what! I think it looks pretty good. granted, my first time playing it was on a decade old PC before I upgraded. so maybe not as good as a brand new game, but it certainly does not look bad.

3. Dys Does Dakka says:

What do you mean almost defiantly ugly?

KF is defiantly, shamelessly and in-your-face naff and nasty looking; no almost about it.

I got it for a tenner (in €) a while back, and at its price point I find it’s a rather splendid little time-waster indeed.
    No one should buy it thinking it’s L4D on a smaller budget, though. As was mentioned, KF is all about herding (holding out against waves), L4D is running a gauntlet. They’re very different games, style-wise and mechanically.

4. aliksy says:

I generally like Killing Floor, but I kind of don’t like how you have to kill the patriarch to win. The game doesn’t really prepare you to fight him, so you can breeze through 10 waves of stuff only to immediately get killed by him. It’s a shitty way to end an hour of play time.

• RegisteredUser says:

That sounds terrible. :(

• Zanpa says:

You definitely have to know some usual tactics to fight him, it’s nothing like the ten previous waves, that’s for sure. But even losing to the patriarch is fun, as it often happens in surprising ways. (One rocket wiping out an entire squad, for instance… Happened to me not long ago.)

• grundus says:

Yeah, almost every time I play even if we ace the 10 preceding rounds (i.e. no one dies and such), being killed by Pat is more often funny and an ‘oh well, good effort’ thing rather than ‘HOW DARE YOU DIE AND MAKE ME DIE AS A RESULT YOU BLOODY FUCKWITS’ thing.

I think a great part of the appeal in KF is watching the last surviving few guys in a difficult round either giving it their all and dying, or giving it their all and pulling off an unexpected, almost impossible win to bring everyone back from the dead.

As for the graphics, I feel like KF is just unashamed of it’s roots as a UT mod whilst simultaneously trying to be to games what B-movies were to… A-… Movies? It’s why the voice acting is just terrible amongst many other things, too.

• The Random One says:

It’s hilarious when there’s only one guy left and he’s using the pistol to kill clots and you just know he’ll have to kill a fleshpound or something before you can respawn (because that’s what killed you). I never know whether to roof for or against him.

5. RegisteredUser says:

Now the game just needs an updated engine actually capable of similiarly fluid and realistic animations as the trailer and guns that feel fucking awesome, and I’d be playing this quite a bit.

I’ve been tempted to get this on sale so many times, but each time its utter “cheapness” in looks, feel and sound in all the videos has held me back completely.

It seems like one of the early unreal engine games from the late 90s/early 2000s that had high ambition, but not enough people with actual artistic and professional digs to catapult it out of the “B game” league into the A..

• Zanpa says:

Tripwire are known for “guns that feel fucking awesome”, and this game is no exception. Using the Winchester, AK-47, grenade launchers or double-barreled shotgun makes you feel like you’re doing some serious damage. They definitely got the guns right, just as in Red Orchestra.

• El_Emmental says:

You’re missing on something really great, you should grab it on sales (£7.5)

The screenshots look cheap indeed, there’s no point in trying to deny that, it LOOKS cheap. However, it FEELS extremely awesome, as Zanpa already said the shooting feeling is well-done and makes the game really enjoyable.

Blasting through hordes of zombies (some weapons penetrate several enemies, with reduced damage for each victim), covering each others, saving each others (when someone is reloading or suddenly overwhelmed), is always a jolly good fun time.

Killing Floor might look like a B league game, but it plays like an A league by far !

• RegisteredUser says:

Ugh, great, now I have to figure out how to change my eating habits for a week(god I wish I was joking) so I can set aside a handful of EUR eventually and try it out.

Then again I was hoping to do the same for some kickstarters I missed(Shadowrun, Carma).

Edit: Fuck. Shadowrun closed the Paypal option. This is why people at times “preview” games.
      I have zero capacity for a full priced game, and they just closed the 15 EUR entry/support option.
      Not that at 459% funding they need me, but still. You want to show support for something particular here and there – and its just no dice.

Developers seriously need start considering tip jar buttons for those who wish they could help to the full extent, but really, really can’t.

• RegisteredUser says:

Seeing that its on sale for the next 8h – should I expect to get more for my money in some all inclusive monster pack Killing Floor summer sale pack or is the current price the best I’ll get?

Where did I put that steam sale prices history bookmark again :(

Edit: Found it. Steamgamesales. Currently at 10$, lowest was 3$ and others have had it at 5$.

I am waiting until <= 5$ anywhere.

• nearly says:

if you get anything other than the base game, you’re paying for character skins. that said, I bought the pack with all the skins. this was after it blew me away on a free weekend. I happen to think tripwire are worth it, even if I end up using the same character all the time.

also, if you lurk around the steam forums, someone might grant you a guest pass. I already gave away all three of mine, but where it’s on sale, you can expect that quite a few people are going to have more.

• MikoSquiz says:

It feels super cheap and clunky too, in a similar way to Counterstrike. Definitely not one of the best impulse purchases I’ve made on Steam.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I feel the same way. Killing Floor is L4D without any of the finesse, style, character, or looks. The only thing it has over L4D is the community (aside from the Tripwire Interactive apologists).

• stupid_mcgee says:

KF is more like Counterstrike with Gears 2′s Horde Mode. It hardly resembles L4D at all.

-edit-
          It should also be noted that the enemies aren’t even zombies. They’re genetically mutated freaks created by a mad scientist.

• SkittleDiddler says:

You’re more accurate in your description I think, but that still doesn’t change the fact that KF is a cheap knock-off of that other zombie mob game. It’s obvious what KF’s devs were trying to do when they designed it.

• Qazi says:

A knock off of which zombie mob game?
          Killing Floor was a UT2k4 mod in 2005.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Yeah, it was a mod before L4D. Despite that, It’s pretty apparent that the full-game release of KF is inspired by the more successful game.

6. Bharg says:

I wish their was a way for me to purchase the uncensored version.

• Zanpa says:

There is, you just have to change a line in the ini files once you’ve launched it and it forces the uncensored version. I got it gifted to me by a German and played for a while with the (terrible) censored game before figuring this out.

• RegisteredUser says:

You can have someone in an uncensored country gift it to you.
      Best I know, this workaround still is functional, thank god.

If this loophole ever goes away(and isn’t replaced with me getting access to english language uncensored originals via proving I am > 18), I will join the undying league of “Steam if the devil, evil incarnate” commenters for sure.

7. Oak says:

I wish they’d make some of the holiday zed models permanent. I love Killing Floor, but the original monster designs are pretty uninspired.

• nearly says:

it was such a shock when the christmas specimens went away. they were really terrifying and great, and I unfortunately felt the same as you about the regular ones once we were introduced.

8. Mistabashi says:

A lot of people moaning about the graphics…

KF is NOT a AAA game. It never pretended to be one, so don’t expect AAA production values. It is however awesome fun, and Tripwire have supported it for literally years. If you can’t get over the graphics (which are actually pretty impressive for a UE2.5 game) then that’s a real shame, you’re missing out on one of the most fun co-operative games out there.

• stupid_mcgee says:

People who moan about gfx need to stfu. Good gfx don’t make a game good. Gameplay does.

“Meh, I don’t want to play that board game. The drawings aren’t very good and the miniatures look lame.”

• The Random One says:

Somehow I just know if it was an AAA game the devs would give every single character identical gloves so they wouldn’t need to create different hands for each character.

• HarrietTubgirl says:

I personally really like the graphics in Killing Floor. Some of the character models are awesome, I love my hazmat suit character. Also I love most the weapon textures. Graphics of course don’t make a game but KF’s are nowhere near bad.

9. Josh04 says:

WEEEEEELLDING TOOL

10. Gap Gen says:

What did Floor ever do to you?

11. harvb says:

I absolutely adore Killing Floor but the problem I have is that it doesn’t like my router. Apparently it’s a known issue with BT Home Hubs and they just don’t get on. If it wasn’t for that I’d be playing like a nutter.

• Stuart Walton says:

Probably wont help but if you’ve run out of things to try, you could fiddle with the multiplexing setting on your router.

I had an issue with ArmA 2 dropping me from DayZ servers because BattlEye kept getting a time out. What was happening was that packets that were of certain small sizes were being dropped and BattlEye uses a pretty small packet size for keep-alive purposes. Further investigation ponted me to the multiplexing settings on the router. I changed it from VC to LLC and those small packets started going through.

So, you could try changing that setting from one to another to see if that sorts it. I never knew it was configured incorrectly because 99.9% of the traffic was un-affected. I know for certain that it used to be VC, but the exchange must have changed the multiplexing at some point. Maybe the exchange supports both and auto-detects and maybe there is a bug with VC. Who knows? It works now.

12. derbefrier says:

I got killing floor I’m valves potato sack bundle a while back and didn’t like it all that much. It felt like a cheap version of CoD’s zombie game.

13. stupid_mcgee says:

I’ve always likened Killing Floor to drinking an Irish Car Bomb. It’s awesome and tasty for a round or two, but too many and you start feeling really sick.

Killing Floor is a lot of fun, but I can’t sit and play it for hours like with other games. Fun to pick up and play, but not an all-day kind of game. But that’s just me.

14. Slade says:

You forgot one thing : the well-off DLC, namely Harold Lott Character Pack, made for the chosen few who don’t accept checks at all.

15. absolofdoom says:

People think Killing Floor is ugly? What?
    I’m one of those guys that has a super-expensive PC so I can play every game on the highest graphics settings and I still think Killing Floor looks just fine. It’s got a unique art style that doesn’t really age, in my opinion.

16. 13papedy says:

i cant believe i just found killing floor a few weeks ago. yes this game is cheap but i find it unbelievably addictive and entertaining. its just plain fun and puts a smile on your face. and some people think the graphics look too cheap but i think there just fine, the way the game plays and handles more than makes up for that. needless to say since ive gotten this i haven’t been able to put it down. Well worth the money, very unique game, gritty, but just plain fun.

Comment on this story