Hey, Robot Rising Is Not Rise Of The Robots

By Jim Rossignol on July 11th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Oh no, those robots are killing each other! Somebody do something!
Robot Rising is actually a Facebook-bound ARPG, featuring robots. But do they rise at all? Well, maybe a little bit, but mostly they kill other robots on a 2D 3D plane. Not much rising involved there. But anyway, even if you think social games are at an “evolutionary dead end” there’s still a glimmer of hope in the likes of the Robot Rising devs, Stomp Games, saying that they believe Facebook needs “core” games for more traditional gamers. Perhaps it does. And ARPGs might be a step in the right direction for that. Gunshine wasn’t too bad, either.

In summary: Robot Rising is in beta now, and there’s a trailer for its announcening below. Now it’s time for us all to make cup of tea simultaneously. Go!

Mhmm.

Also:

Amazing.

, , .

1. Gnomad says:

I remember renting Rise of the Robots at my local shop as a kid. Wish I didn’t, but I do.

c-Row says:

Be glad you only rented it – I actually bought it. Though at that time, us Amiga users weren’t in a position to be overly picky.

• Ergates_Antius says:

As an Amiga owner, you should have been reading Amiga Power (the greatest computer games mag ever).

Their review of Rise of the Robots wasn’t exactly….glowing.

• sonofsanta says:

7%, if I recall correctly.

• GameOverMan says:

5%, in fact (AP45). A few issues later they wrote this in The Bottom Line section:

“The nearest the software industry has yet come to robbing an elderly deaf woman in a wheelchair whose son has just died in a car accident returning from the funeral of his father and sister killed when their ancestral home burned to the ground and then severely beating her. With the diseased family pet.”

2. Simas says:

Very nice. Now make it so you can grow robots and sell them and stuff.

AmateurScience says:

Goodness me, remember how hyped Rise of the Robots was! Oddly, that’s the first time I’ve seen it in action: looks seriously clunky.

• Guvornator says:

I seem to remember that you couldn’t actually jump over anyone, as the graphics for the characters were too large to be mirrored. One Must Fall:2097 was the better choice for Robot based fisticuffs.

4. Armitage says:

It is amazing and annoying that Facebook has brainwashed so many people to believe they need to be on Facebook. Luckily we still have steam and unbelievers like me can avoid you with minimal impact.

5. InternetBatman says:

He didn’t say social games were a dead end, just PC based social games. Considering how little the difference is between a phone and a computer is now, I think the point he was making will itself be dated pretty quickly.

Hodge says:

Of all the things I’d heard about Rise Of The Robots, the one which most amused me was that if you pushed up + right on the joystick and held down the fire button you’d win the entire game without losing a bout.

Years later I tried it on an Amiga emulator and it is indeed true. For all our whining about the CODBLOPS of the world, modern AAA stuff rarely gets that asinine.

Matchstick says:

There was something very similar on the seminal Way of the Exploding Fist (for Speccy at least)

One of the punches (the low punch I think) had a range that was 1 pixel or so longer than every other move in the game so beating the computer just consisted of judging the right moment to fire off that move safe in the knowlege that nothing else could reach you (worst that would happen is that the computer would do the same move at the same time and that round would be a draw)

• Phantoon says:

Yes, but those are triple A games of the now. Not then.

7. Ateius says:

“… they believe Facebook needs “core” games for more traditional gamers.”

Unfortunately, we ‘traditional’ gamers tend to already have machines capable of running whatever games we choose, as well as the market knowledge to access many points of sale and distribution for both retail and F2P offerings. There’s no reason for us to go to Facebook to play games, and I rather doubt Robot Rising will do much to change that, judging by the trailer.

• BatmanBaggins says:

I’m just annoyed that they’re implying that Facebook needs games at all.

• malkav11 says:

Exactly. Facebook isn’t a platform, it’s a website. Platforms that want to have games at all should support core gaming to the extent that they can feasibly do so, but there’s no reason to bother with core games on Facebook when there’s zillions of other ways to play and distribute core games on the PC platform, many of which are far more likely to actually reach the target market.

8. Hanban says:

Raagh! One Must Fall!

• Dreforian says:

glad someone remembers! Never will there be a greater robot fighting game.

9. mckertis says:

Robokill 3 ?

10. jrod says:

This looks awful

11. KDR_11k says:

I’d be interested if it didn’t require Facebook (which I don’t have and don’t want).

12. tlarn says:

God, I actually remember all the hype to Rise of the Robots still.

They were planning a movie on that game. A movie.

EDIT: The game Robot Rising does look like it’d be a nice little time-burner. I may have to actually dust off my old Facebook page to try it out.

13. Dreforian says:

I see your Rise of the Robots and raise you CUBE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGDCE6Nrz0

14. D-e-f- says:

I saw the picture and thought “huh, looks cool … reminds me of Future Cop L.A.P.D. on first glance” then I read the word facebook-bound and was immediately sad.

15. RegisteredUser says:

“Robot Rising is actually a Facebook-bound ..” that’s how far I got.
    I skip the rest, thinking to myself “Fuck you facebook. Let’s see what the comments have.”

I, too, tried to “play” ROTR, on the SNES I think?
    *brrr*

16. RegisteredUser says:

The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. Now we can implement the same functionality with data-mining algorithms.

17. Phasma Felis says:

“Tired of social games that are 2D? Slow? Turn-based? Cartoony? Mindless?”

No, I’m just tired of games that are “social”, i.e. on Facebook. This actually looks like a lot of fun, but I’m confident they’ll find some way to make it utterly monotonous and intrusive in the name of social media.

18. Inithra says:

Lovely to see people writing a good game off because you happen to log into it via Facebook.
    I registered, and have put a few hours into it, and have largely enjoyed it. It has resource management elements, Diablo-esque dungeon crawling and loot drops, and the mech building and customising reminds me of Warzone 2100 a little bit.
    PLUS, having registered and used their forums, I discovered they are planning to have their own site and run (I guess a seperate version) without the Facebook integration.