Primal Carnage Shows Dinos Vs Flamethrower

By Jim Rossignol on July 11th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

Hello, ladies.
For some reason, dinosaurs seem to be appearing more and more in my daily conversation. Perhaps the popularity of creatures that died millions of years ago is on the rise again, or perhaps it’s some kind of omen. Only time will tell. Meanwhile, I must continue the dino-commentary, which today includes a man armed with some kind of chainsaw-flamer fighting carnivorous dinosaurs of various sizes. That’s the reasoning behind multiplayer FPS Primal Carnage, of course: that fighting dinosaurs with ludicrous hybrids of modern weaponry will be the kind of thing that we want to do. Is that the kind of thing you want to do? Make some manner of kneejerk judgment, below!

So there it is. Pyro vs dino.

What’s your favourite dinosaur? I’d say mine is either the Pachycephalosaurus or the Ankylosaurus. Neither of which is featured in Primal Carnage, sadly.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. The Hammer says:

Yes it is!

2. President Weasel says:

That dinosaur should have feathers.

• Gnoupi says:

Shush.

My childhood has already been ruined by picturing all dinosaurs as simply big chickens. I don’t need a reminder.

• Dilapinated says:

If you look, there’s some really, really great feathered dino art out there. They don’t look any less kick-ass.

• Orija says:

That bit of news is gonna destroy the market for dino stuff, that’s for sure. I mean, what six year old would want to play with feathered T-Rex and Spinosaurus! That’s just make all of them seem real fruity.

• President Weasel says:

Nonsense, I say! Cassowaries aren’t even carnivores and they’re only the third largest flightless bird alive, yet they’re capable of killing people (although it’s rare, admittedly). Terror birds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorusrhacidae) were apex predators, and they definitely had feathers.
        I’m not sure a Tyrannosaur would get any less threatening (or awesome) just because it was slightly fluffy.

• Caiman says:

Yeah but not all dinosaurs had feathers. Just imagine the non-feathered ones and you’ll be fine.

• Hardlylikely says:

I don’t think six year olds really have formed opinions on the topic of “fruitiness” yet.

• MarloBrandon says:

They were burned away by the flamethrower. Your move.

3. SteamTrout says:

Wait, is it a flamethrower WITH AN UNDERBARREL CHAINSAW? Best. Gun. Evah.

• Mistabashi says:

Well, it’s certainly up there! There’s some tough competition though, I mean is it really better than the Landshark Gun?

• zeroskill says:

Nothing ever is, or will be better than the landshark gun.

• HexagonalBolts says:

The central barrel should be a flamethrower jet around which rotate the barrels of a Minigun, each of which has its own chainsaw attached that spins with the barrel as the minigun is fired.

I think an entire game should be dedicated to this gun.

• DrRattlehead says:

Except the fact that it doesn’t seem to have any effect. The flamethrower doesn’t set anything on fire and the chainsaw “hits” don’t really seem to “connect”.

• Ultra Superior says:

what are you talking about ? The weapon in the video is quite harmless

fast-yellow-sprites propeller combined with buzz-noise emitter

4. Enzo says:

Didn’t this game already came out and was terrible?

• vadvadindabad says:

different game, same dinos

• Mistabashi says:

Yeah, you’re thinking of Orion, which was indeed terrible and broken, and also contained loads of stolen assets including one of the dinosaur models from this game apparently.

5. PoulWrist says:

The stegosaurus is my favourite. Followed by ankylosaurus. Cool defensive guys who chilled out in prehistoric land.

6. Elmar Bijlsma says:

Is it very pedantic of me to be annoyed by the fact that yet again the flamethrowers in a game expel a burning gas instead of a burning liquid?
    Let me smell victory in the morning!

• Mistabashi says:

Killing Floor has the best flamethrower I’ve seen in a game for this reason. It actually has some range, and fires in a squirty arc rather than big floaty ball thing.

• LionsPhil says:

Don’t forget Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and by extension Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. I don’t know why flamethrowers have been so crap since; TF2′s in particular is dire.

• Brun says:

The flamethrower from Turok 2 (coincidentally another dinosaur-themed game) shot burning liquid as well and even had pretty good ballistic mechanics.

• Fumarole says:

Yes it is, but you’re still right. Needs more fluid.

7. Jdopus says:

Looks like Killing Floor with dinos instead of zombies.

8. Jim9137 says:

Circle strafe! Circle strafe that SOB!

9. wodin says:

Dinosaur cruelty…

10. Caiman says:

This game looked interesting when it was just showing off environments and atmospheric dinosaur assets. Now that’s they’re showing off their generic multiplayer deathmatch gameplay, all interest is lost.

11. Trent Hawkins says:

So all the T-Rex does is run around and smack in to people? LAME!

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

That`s a carnotaurus. Doesn`t excuse the ramming though. Last I checked, the horns were simply too weak to be used as weapons. They were supposedly only used for mating displays. Then again, i`ve been out of the loop for a while with regards to paleontology…

12. SkittleDiddler says:

Good thing for Primal Carnage’s devs that Dino Beatdown was such a failure.

13. Mut says:

Looks better than Dino D-Day, at least.

14. derbefrier says:

edit: nevermind

15. jonfitt says:

Ooh. That trailer poured cold water on my interest.

The flame effect was bad, but what was worse was the way the flamethower and chainsaw seemed to have little impact aside from causing either a flame or blood to appear on the creature and their health points to be depleted. Combine that with the guy circle strafe deathmatching around and it all looked very…”last gen”.

Look to Far Cry 2, Gear of War, Bulletstorm, etc. for better examples of flamethrowers, chainsaws, and physicality. When your opponent is strictly melee, you need to get the physicality right at least.

I’m guessing it’s a minor game compared to any of those, but you’ve got to choose your battles, and this looks like they may have bitten off more than they could chew.

• Dilapinated says:

Given that it’s still in alpha (afaik?) the flame effect and chainsaw physicality will hopefully look better in the finished release.

• LionsPhil says:

Problem is, releasing a video is saying “we think this is ready enough to impress you with”.

If it were a mechanics video for some kind of entertaining puzzler or sim or something, sure, that’d excuse incomplete graphics. Hell, think the Overgrowth alpha videos where they focus on one Cool New Thing, even if the surrounding things are less complete. But this one really does just seem to be “Look! Fire and dinosaurs! Together at last!”, and it doesn’t really do those things that well.

16. Fumarole says:

I dino if this will be good or not, but I hope it will be.

• The Infamous Woodchuck says:

I’ll just hope the developers of this game will triceratops to do their best

17. Tuggy Tug says:

Ankylosaurus is my favourite dinosaur, too.

I imagine it used to just look at T-Rex’s as little more than an annoyance.

18. SuperNashwanPower says:

“Make some manner of kneejerk judgment, below!”

PEOPLE FROM LIVERPOOL LIKE STEALING CAR WHEELS AND LEAVING THE CAR UP ON STACKS OF BRICKS AND THEN SELLING THE WHEELS ON EBAY.

19. blackjackshelak says:

My kneejerk reaction: That ASSHOLE corpsehumped a dinosaur in a promotion video! What an idiot.

I’ve honestly been kind of curious about this game though. Unfortunately, this video seems to be a slight step down from what I’ve seen posted of earlier builds. The way the classes match up seems interesting, but they have to do a better job than this if they want to promote interest in their game.