Rezzed’s One-Hour Gamejam – Play The Results

By Alec Meer on July 11th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

The penultimate event of Rezzed saw me trying to organise a collection of people far more talented than I into making videogames within an hour. Less than an hour, in fact, as I hadn’t factored in getting to the stage and plugging everything in. Locked in a junk-filled sideroom, members of the Creative Assembly, Mode7, Littleloud, The Indie Stone, Strongman Games, Thomas Was Alone and more speed-coded frantically, then without pause were dragged on stage by me and interviewed about what they’d done. They did very, very well, and you can play most of resultant games below.

My laptop’s failure to run anything they’d made almost spelled disaster, so my eternal gratitude goes out to the technical chap who lugged a heavy HD camera around the stage.

Organisationally, it was a shambles, but apparently an entertaining one. So say what you will about my management skills, but I won’t hear a word against the incredible efforts of the developers involved – they all came up with the goods, successfully jamming a collection of inventive videogames based around the theme of ‘resurrection.’ Incredible stuff, and I’m so proud of and grateful to everyone involved.

In no particular order, here’s who made what and the games themselves…

Eddy Parris, NixonMcInnes

Shouty Man

Poor Eddy, who organised the Brighton arm of the recent Molyjam, was dragged up on stage first with his mini-shmup starring the screaming visage of fellow contestant Kerry Turner’s partner. The resurrection element comes from the fact that the blighter instantly springs back to life when shot.

_________

Gwenifer Raymond, Sarah Ford and Catherine Woolley, the Creative Assembly:

Jesus vs Science

CA comfortably won the audience vote on the day, presumably because they inventively and hilariously managed to redefine the relationship between religion and science in less than sixty minutes. As for the resurrection element – well, it’s the Messiah innit?

_________

Kerry Turner, Littleloud:

Awake

My personal favourite of the jam entries, as it has a deft alternative take on resurrection and successfully creates a tangible mood despite being simple and graphics-free. I’ll leave you to experience it yourself, but not before describing it as ‘Mavis Beacon Teaches Nightmares.’

_________

Mike Bithell and Simon Roth (Mode7)

Thomas Was Rezurrected.

No download link, but have a watch:

This merry pair cheated a little by doing more prep than anyone else, but cosmic order was restored when this witty, pretty pseudo-sequel to Thomas Was Alone crashed during its stage demo. Dulcet tones are provided by former PC Zone hero John ‘Log’ Blyth, who definitely needs to do more of This Sort Of Thing. Oh, and this is also our first in-motion look at Simon Roth’s proprietary engine that will power his upcoming Bullfrog-esque management sim Maia.

_________

Andy Hodgetts, Marina ‘Mash’ Siu-Chong and Nick Cowen, The IndieStone:

Zomboid in Space. Download link.

Fresh from charming the audience with their own Rezzed talk, this crack Project Zomboid squad finally introduced the feature everyone’s been asking for from their zombie game – multiplayer. Also, space. Pillows persist, you’ll be glad to hear. You can find instructions and controls in the zip file.

_________

Erlend Grefsrud, Strongman Games:

BX8

RPS Social Club mainstay Erlend offered the most conceptual of the day’s creations, and as many have observed, perhaps the game most suited to expansion into something fuller. It’s all about inversion and mirroring – controls are W and S to move and O to flip sides.

_________

Tom Betts, Big Robot

Burn, Default Unity GameObject, Burn Download link.

_________

George Buckenham, meanwhile, created Panlids: Resurrection, a rapidfire battle-based card game, which sadly cannot easily be digitised, but he has shared the rules right here should you wish to try it yourself.

Phew! Missing at present are the Skulls of the Shogun guys’ creation which I’ll add as and when I have it, and we should also have a video of the whole shebang for you soon too.

Enormous thanks again to everyone who participated in the jam, and slightly less enormous but no less heartfelt thanks to the hundreds of people who came to see the results. The good news is it went rather well, all things considered. The bad news is that I’ve been asked to do another one.

, , .

1. FhnuZoag says:

Does the Skulls of the Shogun guys’ creation require windows 8?

2. Dave Mongoose says:

I was there for this talk and I thought Kerry definitely deserved to win: Her attempt stood out as it showed that even a very limited game can be meaningful and challenge your expectations.

Jesus vs Science was the most ‘gamey’ of all the entries, but I don’t really think it deserved to win, particularly as it had the biggest team and they were from a mainstream studio!

The card game was a nice idea but fundamentally flawed in that attacking at all cost you the same points you used to defend so you ruined yourself as much as your victim.

• v21 says:

I made the card game, hello!

And yeah, I agree. The battle mechanics still didn’t work properly — they were still a bit too symmetrical. Getting to take your opponents counters when you defeat them was supposed to help fix that, but it wasn’t enough. The limitation was as much on the attack cards as it was on tokens, though – you can conserve tokens, but you can’t conserve cards. Ultimately what I needed to encourage more was negotiation about who had the resurrection card, and who ought to be attacked, but, er, the situation wasn’t quite ideal for getting in-depth on tactics.

Still, I only had an hour, and most of that was playtesting til it worked at all.

• Premium User Badge bglamb says:

I think it was really great that you brought the concept out there. People forget that you don’t need fancy programming skills to make a great game. The amount of things you can do with a normal deck of cards (let alone a blank set and a marker pen!) are enormous.

So many flash games that I see could be so easily represented by a few bits of printed cardboard and some tokens, but people forget that they have access to all these things.

So props to you.

3. Premium User Badge bglamb says:

Yeah, I can’t believe that neither of the two actually good games won. I mean, props to everyone that made anything at all, and Jesus vs Science was technically a finished and playable game, but both BX8 and Awake were fully playable and looked like genuinely acceptable (if short) games.

4. Sparkasaurusmex says:

I don’t get Awake at all… I think I must be missing something if people are saying it’s anything at all… Perhaps not having sound is my problem.

• LionsPhil says:

I don’t believe there is any sound.

It’s all very arty, but I don’t see how it’s “resurrection”. Or a game.

5. SlappyBag says:

Really enjoyed watching that. Plus I got a poster out of it that I’m going to get framed. Wewp =D

6. Premium User Badge Keirley says:

God yeah, I was at the jam and I thought Kerry Turner’s game really blew the rest away.

7. AjnaTripper says:

Jon ‘Log’ Blyth is a very personal hero of mine, as he once sent me a cassette of Jet Set Willy, a PS1 rally game, and a bottle of genuine Canadian maple syrup for winning the Your Shout in Zone 195. This was entirely too much compensation, as reading it back now it’s clear I had no idea what I was talking about.