Trouble In The Trees: Medal Of Honor Multiplayer

By Nathan Grayson on July 11th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

I wonder if insurance will cover that.
Black Ops 2 may have a villain with all of the weapons and most of the beards, but that doesn’t mean we can just forget about the game’s real-life nemesis – who also has all of the weapons and most of the beards. I speak, of course, about Medal of Honor: Warfighter, which would also like to show you its fanciest new war-waging wares. This time, though, story’s taking a backseat in favor of multiplayer, and somewhere, a koala version of Smokey Bear weeps as these nationalism-powered soldier types welcome each other to the jungle by blowing it up. Witness the environmentally-unfriendly carnage after the break.

In between all the THOOMS, RATTATTATTATATAAs, and POWBIFFs, I did manage to catch a couple interesting things. For one, drones appear to officially be part of multiplayer – though I don’t honestly know if players can control them or not. Also, a few things look nicely destructible thanks to a bit of help from the Hulk-like hand of Frostbite 2. Admittedly, it was mostly the usual suspects – wood splintering, vehicles hitting the skids, etc – but a bridge got reduced to rubble, so that was neat. Trees, meanwhile, barely budged – which is either disappointing or an encouraging sign of nature’s resilience in the face of humanity’s callous deeds.

Apparently, all of this is supposed to play into a, er, FIFA-inspired national-pride-based metagame. So the point is to root for the home team and try to further its cause in the – and here’s a phrase that never would’ve flown even 15 years ago – feel-good war of the century. I’m not really sure how I feel about that, but I also haven’t gotten to play it, so no verdict for now. Anyway, THOOM, BLAM, KER-WHAMZOTT. Discuss.

, , .

1. Squirrelfanatic says:

As a long-time supporter of recycling multiplayer FPS franchises I am shocked and appalled by the amount of innovation this game brings to the table. Also, what is it with all the colours? This game needs more brown. Jesus Airstrike Christ.

• Bharg says:

Still looks fairly brown to me.

I wonder if it will be as bad as the last one.

• RegisteredUser says:

Quite frankly looks mostly identical to the former stuff to me(including the not-too-powerful feeling MGs and scope shooting).

Those exploitative calldowns still exist, too.

Multiplayer with herp-derp kills never really enticed me much.

2. Moni says:

I swear that looks just like a Modern Warfare 3 map, but far, far prettier.

3. houldendub says:

LOUD NOISES

4. McDan says:

I think Blam is my favourite of the sounds, except maybe Ker-Biff. These other sounds, what even are they. Nonsense.

5. BobbyDylan says:

I cant think of a game I’m more uninterested in than Wharf LIter.

6. SteamTrout says:

Am I the only one who chuckled when they saw GI quote “Looks just as good as BF”? I mean if it looks just as good and plays just as good why even buy it?

• evilbobthebob says:

Since all these games use the same guns and location styles, I suppose they will probably just lift 90% of the assets from BF3. So it will be just as good as BF3! Yay!

• buzzmong says:

As it’s using Frostbite 2, it’ll even handle like BF3!

Although, it’s certainly more colourful as it doens’t seem to have BF3′s blue filter.

• SteamTrout says:

I’d also bet it will have BFs absolutely horrible hit detection system.

And yeah, the blue filter is gone. Long live the brown filter!

7. yabonn says:

Allright, let’s start :

Medal of Honor: Warfighter: Deathkill

8. Ross Angus says:

This is harder on the environment than Nathan says: you can unlock a Seal Fighter, if you pre-order. “Press X to club seal”. Stop this madness.

9. WinTurkey says:

Looks exactly like CoD. Hopefully this means that Battlefield will no longer have to try to fill that niche, unless EA wants its own IPs to compete with each other.

10. torchedEARTH says:

I am done with games where I race like mad into battle, blam-a-lam everything, die, respawn and repeat and then look in bewilderment at my K/D ratio.

I want to spawn once a match thank you. That’s how real men shoot.

• Neurotic says:

What madness is this?? Can you name some names, or will you forever tease with this brilliant-sounding idea?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Well that’s how pretty much how all CS clones worked. No respawn until objective completed or failed, then everyone starts over.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Red Orchestra 2 has a game mode just like that. You’d probably be the only one playing it though.

bear912 says:

I actually really love Countdown, at least on particular maps. I just haven’t had a lot of time to play RO2 lately. Sadness.

• Misnomer says:

I never really understood why people thought this was the “realism element” most crucial to the game. It makes you value your life I suppose, but players who value their lives end up playing for the KDR roughly the same as they do in a respawn game. It also still breaks that wall between realism and game just as badly.

You know the other team has one life and objectives, the other team knows it has one life and objectives. The logical thing to do is not to attack but choose a great place to camp and shoot people who walk by. There is no real incentive to walk by without the game. Thus a timer is created to defeat this so that the team with attack objectives….must attack. Of course that would be stupid because as a game, you have 3-4 routes and going for the objective just lets the other guy have a defensive holdout and kill you. So people rove about looking for people where they know people will be first trying to rack up kills. Using the objective is almost always last minute option to draw out a hiding enemy. You would need swat style tactics to actually take on that kind of situation from the very start (thus why these games only work in competition and even seldom then focus on the objective and not killing the most people per spawn).

Thus, what it boils down to is a lot of people trying to out twitch shoot each other at the same spots on the same maps over and over and over and over. Not that different than respawning really… the difference here is that you have to wait for every individual of your team to die before you “respawn” with the enemies back in predictable locations for you.

How incredibly realistic???? Seems weird that if my 10 man team was reduced to 1 and I was still facing 7… I would try to kill all of them still instead of running away?

Bleh. Still clearly a reflection of reality being gamified. You just prefer short round based game types with predictable/limited starts instead of long rounds with respawns.

• elmo.dudd says:

Search & Destroy available in most CoD titles (at least MW1/2/3, Black Ops – probably WaW) says hello. It is a popular mode as well. You only respawn when a round ends.

Alternatively you could try out their implementations of CTF or Sabotage which implement respawn timers, or Headquarters where if your team captures the objective, you don’t respawn until after a new objective appears.

11. Jockie says:

I liked the bit where the player couldn’t see the enemies through the smoke , but the big blocky nametags above their head allowed him to locate them.

12. zeroskill says:

People will buy this. And next year we will be here again. And people will buy it again. Then they buy the DLC for it, and the premium map pack. And the next year, we will be here again.

• Splotch says:

Please kill me

• RegisteredUser says:

Its sad, because its true.

People are incredibly susceptible to this, and I could literally see all the juveniles(including the ones aged >30) go “Oh man, I’ve GOT to have/play this!!” during the trailer as stuff exploded.

13. SF Legend says:

Oh boy, did I see some killstreak rewards in there?

14. alilsneaky says:

Ew, gross.
    Killstreaks haahahah.

As jockie said, any game where you are shooting overhead nametags is retarded.

Laughed hard as the EA sound distortion too, let’s make the games sound like wubsteb.

Sorry EA, I’m not interested.

15. xyphen says:

I remember those times when multiplayer was all about something new and exciting . Those times are dead .

16. SkittleDiddler says:

It’s pretty sad that, once upon a time, Medal of Honor was the go-to for military shooters. Now look at what it’s become: a shallow brown-tinted carbon copy of another, more popular MFPS.

I have a feeling that Warfighter is going to play similarly to the MoH that came out in 2010: go online, find the map exploit, camp it, and eventually win the game with a 70/1 KD ratio. Fun.

17. Splynter says:

Regarding the headline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWHEcIbhDiw

18. elmo.dudd says:

“I did manage to catch a couple interesting things. For one, drones appear to officially be part of multiplayer”
    Do you mean aerial drones like used for the UAVs in MW1/2/3/BlackOps/WaW?
    MW2/3 have controllable aerial drones as well, and MW3 has a controllable land drone also – and a placeable remotely controlled sentry turret as well.

19. 23YearOldBedWetr says:

Oh fun another game where you sprint, right-click, shoot. I can’t wait.

20. yourgrandma says:

Sweet i have been totally looking forward to Casual Shoot-Bro Fest 7. This looks like a huge improvement over the last one.

21. DutchElvis says:

Hmmm. Fast-rope spawns and deployable crew served weapons. Interesting. I was not really interested in Warfighter’s multiplayer, until now.

22. cuchufluru says:

it’s quite sad that there’s so many people who are still attracted to this kind of “games”…

on the other hand, it’s nice to see there’s other kinds of people too..