Unmechanical Looks Pretty Mechanical, Frankly

By Jim Rossignol on July 11th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

That tiny heli-head thing in the middle there. That's you, that is.
Talawa Games, developers of handsome-looking side-scrolling physics-puzzler Unmechanical, have sent word that they’re teaming up with to the team behind The Ball, Teotl, to, well, develop Unmechanical. Obviously. They explain the premise of their new game like so: “Unmechanical begins with a twist of fate as you’re spirited away by a network of coiled pipes into a mysterious underworld. You find yourself in a strange environment that pulsates from mechanic and organic machinery alike, and your journey to freedom begins. Flying freely through the odd and fantastic surroundings, a powerful tractor beam lets you pick up objects and interact with the world.”

The game will be out on PC on August 8th, and on the iPad a few weeks after that. There’s a trailer below with some of the most fantastic 3D company logos I have ever seen. Impressive.

, , .

1. Premium User Badge Harlander says:

Reminds me a little bit of Vessel, just in its look.

No bad thing.

• hello_mr.Trout says:

also a bit like the amanita design (botanicula etc) games also

• Premium User Badge LTK says:

Looks a lot more like Bob Came in Pieces to me. I don’t see a Vessel or Amanita influence at all.

• Phasma Felis says:

I wouldn’t say Amanita in general, but the character design is very Machinarium.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

You’re all wrong. The game is clearly based on Mousetrap.

2. Salt says:

That is lovely looking.

Importantly they’ve added lots of little touches to how things move that should help it not feel too much like another “check it out, we got a physics library working!” game. The character’s subtle animated response to bumping into scenery, a grabby claw shifting slightly to get a grip, the glowy thing needing a nudge to pop through a hole. All really nice stuff that just make it feel that bit better.

3. Tei says:

I love the cuteness of the main character, and some of the puzzles looks of the smart and interesting variety. I like that don’t seems trying to make a game where physic manipulation is all, because with unprecisse controls that result in bad gameplay. Here seems the point is think about your environment, and escape from the baddies. Its fighting the good fight. And looks pretty!, almost amazing for a 2D game.

• Refpeuk says:

The movement is on a 2D plane, but it’s still 3D (it was made in the UDK)

4. jonasinlimbo says:

I love the music…

5. baby snot says:

This looks like my cup of tea. Like Vessel it seems to have very low contrast/gamma.

6. Wololo says:

I think I really likey it

7. Zeewolf says:

Very demoscene-ish. Everything about the trailer screams “buy!”. I think I’m going to buy it.

8. InternetBatman says:

This game looks a little too touchscreen oriented for my tastes. The input influences design, and of the few games I’ve played that came out for both, more often than not it leads to bad gameplay.

• Acegikmo says:

The entire game design and input system was created before we even thought of developing the game for iOS, so I wouldn’t worry about that! The iOS version will of course have a different input system adapted for that kind of touch device, but the game was initially targeted for PC only, and the PC inputs remain the same :)

9. LionsPhil says:

Looks like another puzzler where most of the difficulty is in the execution, rather than the thinking.

• Acegikmo says:

This was something we had in consideration when designing all the puzzles, we only have a few based on execution to let you rest your head between the other puzzles, but they are a pretty small minority :) At 0:41 and 1:06 in the trailer, you can see examples of the more execution based ones

10. SuperNashwanPower says:

ITS SO CUTE
    When do the plushie versions of the main character come out? I will take nine.

11. Wi1son says:

The soundtrack reminds me of Machinarium.

• Phasma Felis says:

The soundtrack is fantastic. I expect someone will be along shortly to moan about “dubstep”.