Cliffy Returns: Fortnite PC-Exclusive, First To Use UE4

By Nathan Grayson on July 12th, 2012 at 11:00 pm.

Well now, this scene doesn't make a lick of sense. I mean, why's he using a fire axe? I don't see any fires.

After a long, harrowing journey in which he was forced to duct tape an assault rifle and chainsaw together to escape the vacuous innards of a consolebox, Cliff “Don’t Call Me CliffyB” Bleszinski (and, I suppose, Epic’s legion of insanely talented guys and gals) is back on PC. So then, what does the formidable devourer of puppies have in store for us this time? Well, in short, Fortnite‘s an Unreal-Engine-4-powered exclusive that, er, sounds a whole lot like Minecraft.

Here’s the rundown, straight from Epic’s desk – which is probably made of chainsaws held aloft by four granite biceps.

“In Fortnite, players will explore, forage, collaborate and build by day in their own dynamic and expanding world. At night, they’ll work together to defend their prized fortress from the forces of darkness. [Comic-Con] attendees also received a first look at Fortnite’s building system, which is designed so that players can use scavenged materials to quickly build and renovate structures of varying materials and complexity.”

Based on last year’s teaser trailer, however, it definitely doesn’t look like Minecraft. That said, it definitely seems more lighthearted than Epic’s recent outings, in which the only thing you conceivably need to build is a raft to keep from drowning in oceans of blood and sinking to the bloody depths of Bloodlantis, the lost city of kittens. And blood.

At any rate, it’s certainly a solid (and proven) concept, and Epic stands a good chance of polishing it into something fast and instantly enjoyable. I mean, say what you will cover systems and whatnot, but I’ll go to my grave arguing that Gears of War’s active reload system is a piece of pure game design brilliance. Same with horde mode, which – while now eye-rollingly overdone – got its start in Gears. Epic’s become pretty masterful at these tiny twists on the same-old, same-old in recent years, so I’m legitimately interested in seeing what it does here.

For now, though, details about the nuts ‘n’ bolts of play are scant. But hey, screens! And hey, at this rate, maybe UE4 will kick off an era of sumptuously colorful games in the same way UE3, well, basically did the opposite. Gaze upon them below.

, , .

1. Tuco says:

I’m interested. Not excited, but interested.

• noom says:

I’m about one notch above that.

• lordcooper says:

Rather intrigued?

• Tei says:

This game is on my radar. Behind a large stain of chocolate. We can always use a good coop game, if the netcode is good and don’t use GFWL.

• inadfvas says:

Really good stuff! Louis Vuitton Purses 010! High simulation http://ekle.tc/WbB

• Soapeh says:

The netcode in most Unreal Engine games doesn’t appear to have changed much since the days of UT. Client input latency has always been a huge problem, i.e. having to lead a moving target with a hitscan weapon to allow for latency. In Source, the same hitscan weapon would not nead leading because it has (patented?) client-side estimations before the server confirms the hit.

I hope UE4 irons out these issues and it will be interesting to see it in action.

• LionsPhil says:

Source’s netcode is “theoretically” broken, and is why high-ping snipers in TF2 can snipe you around corners.

UT(99)’s netcode is actually simulating the whole game on every machine, then continuously correcting it based on what really happened from the Authoritative Server Point Of View. It is the Right Way to simulate a synchronised, shared environment. Source’s goes “yeah, sure, if on your lagged out system you say you clicked on them, that’s a hit”, even if the reality is that the person controlling that character had changed direction before you clicked.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

In an ideal situation, UT-style netcode is better than Source netcode. The internet is not ideal.

• viverravid says:

No, Source’s netcode does nothing of the sort. When you click fire, your machine sends a message to the sever “I fired facing this direction at time t“.

The server then rewinds time to time t and sees if a shot from your position in that direction at that time would have hit anything. If your target had already changed direction beforehand, and sent a message to the server telling it so, then the shot will not score a hit.

• HilariousCow says:

Net code should be see as “what flavour of lag artifacting should we choose: The one that’s honest but feels horrible, or the one that feels great but sometimes lies?”. Neither fix the intractable issue of lag. None will.

Both are damn close to irrelevant if you’re in a LAN situation, which is about the only place proper comp should go down anyway.

The question comes down to kind of a taste thing: does the frustration of being sniped around a corner outweigh the irritation that your general handling feeling off?

But that’s running roughshod over the other issues either introduces in terms of hacking… but again… your priority should be trying to play with low latency people who you trust not to be dicks, rather than assuming devs can realistically fix issues of high latency or lag based exploits (tapping etc.). without fundamentally changing large scale infrastructure.

lurkalisk says:

I have half a mine to agree. Oh wait… What’s going on here?!

• spiritusinvacuo says:

lordcooper, god*amn you, you almost killed me with that comment… I almost choked myself to death with laughter. BTW, I didn’t have the account on rockpapershotgun, I just registered to give you a massive thumbs up, bro. Yeah, I found it that funny.

• Syra says:

I see what you did there

• UrLossMyGain says:

I’d love to take a jeb at it.

• 13tales says:

I’m still waiting for a chunk of interest to materialise. Right now I’m afraid my enthusiasm’s hit bedrock.

• Spooty says:

Interesting? I’m not sure. But it doesn’t seem like a title that’s not going to capture a lot of players, leading to poor sales, leading to Epic to blame pirates and then go back to consoles.

Will be nice to see the new engine in action though!

• hosndosn says:

Was it mentioned anywhere whether this will be F2P? I couldn’t find anything but might have overlooked.

Smells like F2P crapware to me, “Grind for 100 hours to get it for free* or buy the WOODEN PLANK LVL 1 right now for only $7.99!”.

Mo says:

THIS A MILLION TIMES.

This also.

drewski says:

It’s a shame the things Gears did well gets sort of lost amid the Cliffy B hating, chest high wall hiding vitriol that infects the PC enthusiast corners of the intarwebs.

Although I don’t think Epic got it “right” until GoW2.

• f1x says:

Thats why one should always judge things for himself,

I have really good memories from playing the whole GoW trilogy, but yes the whole gameplay got best refined in the second one

• Josh W says:

I like active reload, except for the way it gives you minicrits, or whatever they call them in that game, if you hit a very specific slice of the reload section. I don’t like that simple reflex timing can such a significant effect on the game; at least twitch firing requires image recognition skills.

3. magicwalnuts says:

Actually Horde mode was introduced in UT2K4 IIRC as Invasion mode, and it was brilliant.

• elmo.dudd says:

Introduced to Epic perhaps, I’m pretty sure it has been seen before in Quake mods, as well as plenty of shmups. Can’t name names off the top of my head, but UT2k4′s Invasion was not a New thing to me when I first played it as a new release, just a nice addition.

• magicwalnuts says:

I’m not sure if It was the first I saw of it either, but you are most assuredly right.

• LionsPhil says:

I have an inkling it was modded into UT99 too, although can’t remember how many years after the fact.

And I’ll be surprised if “hold off against waves of foes in co-op” has its origins as late as the turn of the century.

• Sheng-ji says:

Alien vs Predator on the Atari Jaguar was the first time I played a horde mode… 1993 or 1994 at a guess

• lionheart says:

It’s not really like holed up, defending against attackers from all sides is an original concept

-The Alamo 1836
          -Rorke’s Drift 1879

Rorke’s Drift even pioneered the concept of progressively more difficult waves, which I think was a real step forward for the genre.

• Phasma Felis says:

Rorke’s Drift was pretty buggy, though. Apparently if you successfully defended for long enough, you wouldn’t get any new waves.

• Vagrant says:

We played so much Horde mode back in the original AvP, way back in the day. I could spend hours in that bunker map. I wish there was a way to boost the number of aliens, though.

• BOTA49 says:

That’s the first time I ever recall a Horde mode in a game. I loved converting the SP maps over to use it, but then everything had to be done in other ways than MPlayer since nobody on there really used mods of any sort.

• DrGonzo says:

I’m fairly certain they’ve never really created any original ideas. Active reload must have been taken from somewhere else.

At least this time minecraft is famous enough that epic won’t take the credit for it like the cover system.

• LionsPhil says:

In Epic’s defence, it’s Nathan making the ludicrous claim this time (or at the very least parroting it unchallenged).

• Jay says:

Epic were always pretty open about the Kill.Switch influence though, weren’t they? It was more the lazy journos/gamers who popularised the idea that they invented cover mechanics.

• Maktaka says:

Even earlier than that there was a game mod for UT99 that let you fight all of the original Unreal enemies. Having not played Unreal itself at the time, that was my first taste of those motherfarking Warlords, and by extent when I first learned to exploit AI and kill the big guys by hiding around corners and pumping torrents of death into their big toe.

• Felixader says:

I remember playing my first Horde Mode in a actually very entertaining Clone Wars SHoot Em Up on the Gamecube.
      The same game also had a Multiplayer Mode in wich two teams conquered upgradeable buildings wich regularely spawned troops that then drove to the frontline to meet the enemys troops, somwhat of a moba-thing?

Gap Gen says:

I love the colours. Really nice visual style.

• Dreforian says:

Looks like The Kids Next Door meets The Secret World

Gap Gen says:

I was thinking it looks a bit like a mix of TF2 and L4D. Also they win bonus points for not using the same old zombies as every other fricken’ game in town.

• Fuzzball says:

Yeah, and did you notice the huge one on the roof of that burger place? Good luck killing that with a lead pipe.

• Phantoon says:

I’m excited by a survival game in which you can’t fight everything.

5. Stochastic says:

I’m not entirely sold on the aesthetic at this point, but it’ll probably grow on me with time. Besides, I’m sure this will look far lovelier in motion.

• spelvin spugg says:

This sort of look is not TOO cartoonish. Or rather, it has a nice-looking stylization. It all depends on the artists. A great example of a game with horrible stylization was Torchlight, which was an amazing game but so unrealistic looking, and in a rather ugly way, that it just hurt to look at. The destroyer in particular was uglypants.

This looks great and is the sort of game I might like to play.

I am notorious for not liking much of anything. I am feeling really wait-and-see about DayZ. This? This looks like it could be really fucking cool.

• Stochastic says:

Yeah I dunno. The character design vaguely reminds me of Brink with the elongated limbs and heads. It’s strange, but strange good. I just need to give my brain some time to adapt and see it in motion.

6. Flukie says:

So now after League of Legends and Minecraft, Epic see the PC platform as viable again as a money maker.

Like a old love returning after you’ve won the lottery, its great shes back, but she didn’t love you for your community.

• Stochastic says:

Or maybe they just want to make a game using the Unreal Engine 4 to showcase its capabilities to other developers but don’t feel like waiting for new consoles. There’s a good chance you’re right, but there are other possibilities as well.

• Roshin says:

It’s a brief slutty love affair that wont last. Toss some new consoles out there and they’ll be gone in a heartbeat.

7. spelvin spugg says:

They should make that tongue on the burger joint sign sometimes lick its lips, make a slurping sound and say “Burger-Lickin’ Good!”

• PodX140 says:

I-errr-just-but-wait-that… WHAT?

Am I missing something here?

8. Chiller says:

You can wear a road-cone on your head even without being a zombie? Intriguing. This game shows promise.

9. SkittleDiddler says:

Dear God, those screenshots are glowy.

• Sheng-ji says:

Unreal obviously feels tone-mapping to hell + uber microcontrast is the look of the next generation… I think it will get old very fast.

• PedroBraz says:

So they spend how much time developing UE4 that can do all kinds of effects, and then they make this? Silly gamedevelopers.

10. fluffy says:

The thing about ue3 to me is not about the colors but scale. I have no idea why, perhaps they give you examples based on gears with their SDK, but the scale is always off to me. It doesn’t matter if it’s first or third person perspective. Everything is oversized. Fix the scale Epic!

• Aedrill says:

In UE 3 everything is of the Epic scale!

• Milky1985 says:

What about the shinyness of EVERYTHING, including faces in many many cases :P

• mseifullah says:

That’s exactly what bugs me about the Bioshock, and more recently Quantum Conundrum. The scale of everything feels off — It’s all oversized.

tonka_92 says:

UT4 to be opposite of UT3 and be not too bad
    *crosses fingers*

12. Syra says:

So these zombies, their skulls just popped out of the mouths of their skin puppets?

err ok.

13. mckertis says:

Well, unlike Minecraft, this actually looks like it will be a proper game, not a toy.

• Sheng-ji says:

You say that as if you believe one has intrinsically more value than the other.

14. Shooop says:

It won’t be a massive success, Cliffy will blame piracy (because we all know that’s the only reason a PC game fails right?) and fuck right back off to console-land.

• f1x says:

I know there is the irony in your post

but,
      If the game is good it will suceed no matter what, also if they dont make any stupid move like intrusive DRM or GFWL

15. CommanderZx2 says:

I’m sure they’ll find some reason to blame piracy for something going wrong with this game.

16. smoke.tetsu says:

This is going to be ported to the console with “enhanced” graphics and called the Ultimate Fortnite or something like that.

17. AltF4 says:

Asian fireman, that’s just crazy talk.

18. Milky1985 says:

Sorry but when one of the higher ups repeatedly bad mouths a platform you cannot just launch a game with new tech (new tech that is only being launched on PC because there favorite boxes have no chance of being able to run the damn thing) and expect people to say thank you.

The second word i am saying is you but the first word is not thank.

They can blame piracy all they want, anyone with a brain will be able to point out the bad pr that the higher up has caused playing a part in it as well.

Anyway in the screenshots it looks very much like there are “ghost” planks in the last screenshot, guessing o say planks can go here, not sure how free-form the building ill be seeing stuff like that :P

• Ganjatron says:

Glad to see the comments are starting to reflect reality, too many here seem to have battered wife syndrome.

• Sheng-ji says:

A good game is a good game. Were CliffyB to have actually beaten me up, I wouldn’t buy it no matter how good it was but as he hasn’t done that, I’ll judge it on one thing alone… Will I enjoy it?

• max_1111 says:

Eeh.. well… the guy did effectively call all PC users (the “knowledgeable ones” at the very least) pirates…
          While Ganjatron’s comparison might be a bit extreme it’s kind of accurate (in an off the cuff sort of way).

Citation: http://www.totalvideogames.com/Gears-of-War-2/feature-13270.html

• Sheng-ji says:

So we should boycott epic games on the pc in an effort to…..

Get Epic to release more of their games on PC?

If it’s a good game, I’m going to buy it. I’m not suffering from beaten wife syndrome, nor do I care what anyone thinks of me and my chosen gaming platform. If some tit that I will never meet thinks it’s not worth selling me his games, it’s no skin off my nose – I don’t have enough time to play all the great games getting released as it is! But every good game that gets released on PC will get my £££.

And if you choose to tell me that I am suffering a serious psychological disorder for wanting to spend my money on good games, so be it, but I will tell you that you are very wrong.

And if you choose to tell me that I am giving money to someone who once said something you didn’t like, here’s a newsflash – nearly every single person on this earth holds more than one opinion that I disagree with. It’s life, people disagree with each other. If I were to boycott every company with a high level employee who once said something I didn’t like, I would never buy anything.

So if it’s good, I’ll buy it.

• max_1111 says:

Sure they may make a nice and widely used engine but there’s others picking up that slack if they decided to pull that out too.

Secondly, nowehere did i start screaming “OH MY GOD BOYCOTT!” so feel free to stop putting words in my mouth.
            I don’t enjoy when a developer treats me like a thief first and a customer second.
            It’s the same reason (well… amongst others) i won’t buy from EA or Ubisoft.

Last but not least, sure maybe the game will be friggin’ awesome, but y’know what?
            If you want me to consider buying your company’s product, don’t put a fucking moron in front of the media and have him tell your former/future consumers, who, by the way, were the main reason your company made it’s name in the first place, that they’re all filthy pirates.

• Sheng-ji says:

“I also didn’t start screaming “OH MY GOD BOYCOTT!” so feel free to stop putting words in my mouth.”

“With that said though, no, i won’t be buying games from Epic in the future, nor have i in a very long time.”

Slow Clap. Maybe I’m just that good at reading subtext, or maybe I’m in your head ;)

“Last i checked, the PC gaming community has been doing just fine without Epic made games.”

Just what I said earlier in the now deleted comment. I believe the exact quote was: PC gaming has been going through something of a renaissance since Epic stopped developing for it.

So we agree!

“As for the whole beaten wife hooplah. Please go back and take note of the “off the cuff” remark i made after it.”

No it’s really not. Never liken domestic violence to a small man’s sense of entitlement. Seriously, it is sickening and endemic of the horribly sexist attitudes very prevalent in our industry.

• max_1111 says:

See, now you’re just reading too much into things ‘cuz you’re desperately trying to belittle me…
            There is quite a big difference between what i said vs me shouting “OMG BOYCOTT” for several reasons, the immediate few that come to mind being;
            1.) because that shit just never really works, especially on the internet.
            2.) Wherever there’s one person like me there’s thousands upon thousands of other gamers who don’t pay attention to gaming politics and others like you who just don’t give a fuck and will hand over their cash no matter what. Which leads me into -
            3.) They don’t need or care about my money. That’s fine. I don’t need or care about their game.

• Shadowcat says:

max_1111: Is that the full extent of his accusation that all PC gamers are “filthy pirates”? If so, then personally I think you’re over-reacting.

In that quote he said that PC users who know enough to upgrade their machines also know enough to pirate games. I’d say that’s extremely accurate. Certainly I am happy upgrading my PC, and I absolutely know enough to pirate games. DO I pirate games? No, I don’t. Do I think that he accused me of pirating games? Again, no.

A lot of people do pirate games, though, and he was indicating that almost the entirety of the target audience for a graphics-intensive game which required a hardware upgrade would consist of people who either knew how to do so, or could figure it out if they chose. One can easily extrapolate from there that piracy levels could be expected to be proportionally higher than for a game with a less-knowledgeable audience.

In short, I think he made a truthful statement, and I don’t find anything offensive about it.

I also expect that enough time has passed since he made that comment that a lot of the “less savvy” PC owners out there would regardless own a PC capable of running a UE4 game without needing to upgrade anything. So it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if his opinion on the matter hasn’t actually changed, but that the PC ecosystem has instead simply changed to better suit the business side of things than it did at the time.

• Sheng-ji says:

I give a “fuck” [sic] about things that are important, like is the game something I would enjoy.

I understand that it’s OK for Cliffy B to have a different opinion to me, unlike you, who seems to have taken it all far to personally.

• max_1111 says:

@Shadowcat: i think so, but i will confess i only ever skimmed through the article (for my second read through and don’t really care THAT much to go re-read it) and you’re completely right that the quote could (or quite possibly should) be read that way. However, why even bring that up as an excuse if it’s meant to be read in such a fashion?
            Since i’d be willing to bet that a large amount of people who own PCs are capable of at least popping a video card in and out (or taking it to their nearest PC dealer or friend and having it done), it just comes across and flimsy and.. well.. obviously, kind of insulting (ignoring the fact that it’s also the same kind of thing that any internet hero who champions the console side of the Console vs PC Wars would regurgitate as a rebuttal).

As a sidenote: i’m fully capable of swapping parts in and out of my machine but don’t actually have the slightest idea about getting my paws on torrents and what-not…

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

“i think so, but i will confess i only ever skimmed through the article (and don’t really care THAT much to go re-read it) and you’re completely right about the quote. However, why even bring that up as an excuse if it’s meant to be read in such a fashion?”

You ‘only ever skimmed through the article’ and didn’t appear to read the quote properly, and yet you still decide to write off anything Epic ever do, call Clifford a ‘fucking moron’, accuse him of saying things he didn’t, and write multiple blocks of text justifying your knee-jerk bandwagon jumping to others?

Shadowcat also gave fairly good reasons why he might have said what he did.

• max_1111 says:

@Bent Wooden Spoon
            My GOD some people are touchy about poor old Cliffy B’s plight.
            Speaking of band-wagon jumping…
            For starters, “ever” was a typo. Commenting on RPS isn’t the only thing i’m doing right now and secondly i was referring to skimming it for my second read through.

How exactly did i read the quote “wrong”?
            Please do tell since evidently it’s not up for personal interpretation. While your at it, please tell me why it’s apparently not okay to be even just a little bit slighted about what “Clifford” said even though i am “[...] savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade [my] video card[...]” yet i’ve never pirated a single game myself?

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

Couldn’t give a rat’s arse about Mr. B, I think the guy generally comes over as a royal muppet and I’m not a particular fan of anything he, or Epic for that matter, have ever put out.

I am, however, fed-up of blowhard internet fanboys and hateboys getting rage-boners over absolutely nothing, and then subjecting everyone else to their base level panting and hooting. Your comment about ‘personal interpretation’ sums it up nicely: you don’t know for sure what he was really saying (by your own admission, it’s your ‘personal interpretation’), but here you are banging away with, and insulting people over, your strongly formed opinion on an issue you can’t even be sure about.

No point in dealing with the rest of your actual reply, your continuing inability to actually “quote” people properly (clue – you’re meant to quote stuff they actually said, not what your brain, which seems to be programmed to unthinkingly accept the most negative option, interprets them as saying) shows it’s fundamentally pointless.

• Sheng-ji says:

Let’s break it down into it’s componant parts shall we because precise use of the English language cannot be open to any old interpretation, hence why the law is written with words etc.

“Here’s the problem right now;”

This is what we feel is the problem with launching a game on the PC

“the person who is savvy enoughto want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card”

The person who has enough technical knowledge to pull circuit boards from their computer and push others in and not only not destroy their computer but actually make it better

“is a person who is savvy enough to know bit torrent to know all the elements so they can pirate software. ”

Is a person who in all likely hood either knows how to pirate software or is a person intelligent enough to find out.

” Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC.”

Because you will always get people in every section of life who would pirate software given the opportunity and because PC gamers are the technical elite and because pirating software isn’t difficult for the technical elite a higher proportion of PC gamers will pirate our software. We believe that not releasing our games on PC is the best way to appease our investors. Because our investors are fluid, our opinions may change in the future.

• max_1111 says:

Bent Wooden Spoon: …and i’m sick and tired of uptight internet heroes who need to huff and puff about how their opinion is somehow more correct despite the fact that they don’t know any more about EXACTLY what Cliffy (in this case) was actually saying and that they’ve somehow come out on top of an issue by ignoring the latter half of it (and also telling me i’ve been quoting incorrectly despite the fact that what i provided was an exact quote.)

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

I don’t have an opinion on the issue you’re banging on about, and I’m not arguing with yours either. I don’t have enough information to properly formulate one, certainly not one strong enough to start throwing around insults. Yet despite being privy to exactly the same facts, somehow you do. I also don’t care about either Clifford or Epic, as I’ve mentioned.

I am of the opinion that you’re a bit of a reactionary knee-jerker who gets his panties in a twist over potentially misinterpreted quotes, but that’s due to my ‘personal interpretation’ of everything you’ve been saying here. Hence my reply. Nothing to do with Epic. The fact you seem to think that’s what my issue with you just underlies everything I’ve been/am in the process of saying.

You quote incorrectly because you don’t quote what people really say. Here’s me quoting you correctly while you’re misquoting me:

“How exactly did i read the quote “wrong”?”

I never said you read it “wrong”. I said you “didn’t read it properly”, which you at least implied, if not outright admitted, with your “typo”. Not the same thing. Not a quote. Why is it in quote marks?

You also say Cliffy B called all his customers ‘filthy pirates’. I don’t think he said that. Not exactly that. Maybe you’re right, maybe that’s exactly what he meant. I don’t know, I don’t care You seem to do both – the former I don’t really understand how, the latter I don’t understand why. At least you didn’t quote mark it though, so slight pat on the back there.

So, no opinion on Cliffy/Epic. Do you get that yet? I have an opinion on unpleasant people like yourself forming opinions on the basis of next to no info and then pissing them all over the internet as if anyone other than you gives two shades of shit.

• max_1111 says:

Bent Wooden Spoon:
            OKay that’s fine, then why do you even care about what other people are saying if you don’t have an opinion on the subject?
            I, as a decently learned person on the subject of assembling PC’s, felt a bit slighted by Cliffy’s remark and thus formulated a negative opinion about it. Don’t like it? Oh well then.
            Secondly your opinion of me would be incorrect. If it was correct, you’d probably have seen me busting my left nut over something like what Carmack had said about “PCs not being the leading platform for games”. But hey you’re entitled to think what you want, just as i am about you, or Cliffy, or my neighbour, or the douchebag who almost hit me at the crosswalk.

You go on to say that i quoted you incorrectly, that you didn’t say i read it “wrong” but that i “didn’t read it properly”… You’re going to tell me that there’s such a gaping difference there worthy enough to come after me about it?
            Actually y’know what? Forget it… I’m way too tired to get into semantics.

I don’t really know what else to add really… you seem fixated on the fact that i added the word “filthy” in front of the word “pirates”, whereas if i just said “pirates”, the remains of the vein on your forehead might not be spattered all over your monitor. Y’know what though? You’re right he didn’t say “filthy pirates”, laaaaawd jesus have mercy, i put a bit too much feelin’ into the last sentence of one of my posts… May the heavens rain fiiiiiiirey justice upon my soul with such righteous fury that he may show me the most grieeeeeeeevous errors in my ways.

Oh and while we’re on the subject of unpleasant people, why is it that guys/gals like you, who openly state that they don’t have an opinion on the subject matter at hand, decide that they have to pitch a fit about people posting an opinion about the subject matter at hand?
            That strikes me as a little bit odd.
            Stranger still that you would then continue to complain that you dislike me forming my own (negative) opinion about the guy based on a direct quote (whether or not i interpreted it correctly), despite the fact that you also seem to share roughly the same opinion.

Man… This is getting weird…

EDIT: Seems pointless to bring this up now, but before you decided to explode all over the internet it probably would’ve been cool for you to notice that i didn’t use the phrase, “filthy pirates”, nor did i say that he directly called PC users pirates either, when i made my post with the actual link/reference to the article in question.
            But hey, whatevs… it’s cool… i like getting mad on the internet too…

• Milky1985 says:

@ sheng-ji

“So we should boycott epic games on the pc in an effort to…..

Get Epic to release more of their games on PC?”

Where did you get that from, i didn’t mention a boycott to get them to release games? Personally i don’t want them to release any more PC games so will be happy with them not releasing, most of the last epic games have been awful.

“Look, it’s fine to think what you want of Cliffy B on both a personal and professional level. But not buying games on a pc is not your best way of supporting PC gaming.”

Who said anything in my post about supporting PC gaming? Someone needs to stop reading stuff into comments that are not said. (beside even without epics games PC gaming has been doing well over the past few years, in fact its the console in decline i think, think back to why gfx chart track stopped releasing actual numbers,personally i think its cause they are not going up to the level that people want, a way of pulling wool over eyes)

I am simply saying that i am not getting the game because they have been stupid in he past, there PR screwed up and as such i will not be buying from them because there higher ups are idiots and there business practices are bad in my eyes (bash a platform one moment, say “oh you are great” the next cause the preferred platform is not powerful enough to run the engine they decided to make, to try to force the new console developers into putting in increased hardware)

Its business 101, you annoy a segment of the market they hit back and buy other things, it then takes a lot more money and time to get them back.

Oh and don’t expect this PC gaming focus to last long at all regardless of sales, based on previous behavior they will be back onto the consoles as soon as the PS4 and Xbox 720 are out with more “Nice” things to say about PC before they leave.

Now since its probably too tl;dr for you to read without taking what i am saying and warping it.

I am not buying because of previous comments and behavior from higher ups, that i believe they should be punished for.

• Sheng-ji says:

@ Milky – I really really wasn’t talking to you at all, I completely respect that you wish to not buy Epic games because of what cliffy B has said. I have zero problem with that at all.

What I do have a problem with (had a problem with this morning anyway), is being likened to someone who is not strong enough to leave an abusive violent relationship just because I will buy this game if I think it is good.

In fact I don’t think anything I wrote was directed at you because you did not write one thing which was insulting to me for not writing off this game just because of what one person said. The boycott thing (and I meant personal boycott not some kind of organised effort) was directed at max1111, the outrage at being told I am like a victim of serial domestic abuse was directed at ganjatron and the rest was me stating my position – it may have been opposed to your position, but that’s fine, I wasn’t rubbishing yours, just putting my point of view across.

As for the support PC gaming stuff, that was directed at no-one in particular, but the air of the thread has very much been that this person is threatening PC gaming because of his comments (not something I agree with in any way shape or form) I was keeping to the tone of the thread. But after I wrote that, Max1111 took up the argument, despite agreeing with me, but as he ended up arguing pure nonsense, looks like he was just out for a good trolling session.

Shrugs, It’s quite a long time since you posted, you’ll probably never read this. Ah well!

RobF says:

Aren’t loads of PC games made with Unreal? From Epic?

19. Brun says:

It’s nice that it’s PC exclusive and all, likely because the ConsoleBoxes can’t run UE4 yet. But I sense an ulterior motive – this is Epic calling out MS and Sony on their hesitation to move into the next generation. Epic has stated repeatedly that they’re ready for next-gen to get here and this is their way of telling Sony and MS to both hurry up and to make the hardware in their new consoles worthy of the next-gen name. I fully expect to see more moves like this from them.

So again, while it’s nice that it will be PC exclusive, it’s not because Epic suddenly loves us again. It’s because they want to use us as leverage against MS/Sony.

• Ganjatron says:

I agree totally. We can’t trust Epic worth a damn, and if people don’t believe just look at their recent history with the PC. The second the new generation of consoles hit, Epic will abandon the PC, just like they did back in 2005.

20. Ganjatron says:

Epic comes sniveling back to the PC huh, sorry Cliffy you screwed us too many times. Thanks for destroying UT and the PC in the process.

• Sheng-ji says:

I don’t think Epic not putting games out on it in any way destroyed it. In fact, while Epic focused on consoles, PC gaming went through quite the renaissance.

And how exactly did Cliffy B screw you? Not releasing a game you like on a platform you want? I’m not going to use the E word here, but seriously, if you were actually emotionally damaged by that, you need to seek professional help.

• alundra says:

It’s a concept called dignity, something you have no idea about.

• Sheng-ji says:

So using emotively charged phrases like “Cliffy B screwed us” when he did nothing of the sort is what you think having dignity is about?

I may not have much, but you sir have much less than I.

• mondomau says:

Good lord, how old are you?

Skystrider says:

Does this have a single-player mode, or is it another game I will have to pass up because I’m an antisocial wierdo who only wants to play games by myself?

22. Freud says:

Looking forward to kicking zombie ass with my dudebros.

23. TwwIX says:

lol I love how they are crawling back to the PC market after bashing its communities for so long.

Fuck Cliffy B and his buck teeth!

24. dethtoll says:

CliffyB’s seen the light has he? Well he can’t have it. The man looks like the mutant offspring of Dane Cook and Chad Kroeger’s hair (Cook the man, not his hair, the hair is Chad’s) and he’s about as intelligent and eloquent as you might expect. I have zero respect for him and I hope he falls down a well.

25. max_1111 says:

This might be a little less pathetic if he hadn’t given the PC community the equivalent of “HAHA FUCK YOU!! PIRATE SUM MOAR NUBS!! U MAD?!” on his way to console land…
    If his excuse back then was something more along the lines of, “There’s just not enough money in it for us right now so we’re focusing more on consoles.” i might be a touch more sympathetic (i’d still be annoyed, but not mad).

As it stands though, he can go screw himself.

• ResonanceCascade says:

In other news, Cliffy B is grumpy about this.

• max_1111 says:

That’s because he knows i just popped in a new video card which clearly points to the fact that i was getting ready to pirate all his games.

26. Beelzebud says:

Don’t call me a thief and then expect me to buy your games.

• Sheng-ji says:

I believe what he actually said was that you as a PC gamer have the intelligence to figure out how to breach copyright if you so desire.

But sure, if knee jerking is your thing, jerk away!

• max_1111 says:

Maybe you should actually read that quote i so nicely copied and pasted for you one page back.

• Sheng-ji says:

““Here’s the problem right now; the person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card, is a person who is savvy enough to know bit torrent to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC.””

That one.

Here’s your second slow clap of the day:

S…..L…..O……W…….. …….C……L……..A…..P

• max_1111 says:

fuck it.
            I’m out.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Hey, no need to be so rude.

• Sheng-ji says:

You know what, sometimes it is OK to be rude, when you are dealing with the kind of moron who posts the quote I quoted above, then when it is clear and he admits he hasn’t properly read or understood the article or the quote properly, and yet still goes on to use it to defend someone who likened me to a victim of domestic violence, a mild bit of internet meme rudeness is quite appropriate and just fine.

• max_1111 says:

Eeeeh nooo…. i didn’t admit that i didn’t read the article or the quote properly, an unfortunate typographical error made it look that way, which i’ve since corrected.

• Beelzebud says:

He made more than 1 comment about PC gamers stealing games, and I can choose who to buy games from. If you want to keep buying their games, go for it.

27. mandrill says:

Cliff is so full of it. Nothing he says can be taken at face value. Remember how Epic were stopping PC exclusive development because he said that it was being killed by piracy? And what’s this? A PC exclusive? Why Cliff, Are you just a corporate marketing mouthpeice? Do you only say what is necessary to make your masters more money, not caring whether it’s consistent with your previously stated principles?

Put a sock in it Cliff, no-one is listening any more.

• Shooop says:

There are two great favors Cliffy could do for the industry as a whole:

1) Stop making games and make game engines. Because that’s all he and Epic are good at.
      2) Shut up.

28. Belua says:

I have a suggestion for you guys: How about we just stop paying attention to Cliff’s (or Epic’s PR) ramblings and only to the question of whether the game will be good?

If the game (or any other one by Epic) turns out fantastic but you don’t buy it because you feel insulted by the guy or the company, and the game then flops, reassuring Epic in their opinion that developing for PC is not worthwile… you’re helping PC gaming how, exactly?

All it will do is “prove” (from their point of view) that they were right when they said that the first time and causing them to abandon the PC platform again.
    And for those saying “we don’t need Epic anyway”, I’m quite sure there are a lot of other big companies and investors watching such things and following their lead in either direction (or at the very least thinking about adapting their business policies accordingly).

• Milky1985 says:

“I don’t understand why there are so many comments in here either saying directly or implying they won’t buy Epic games because they (or Cliff personally?) said mean and stupid things about PC gamers, while at the same time implying that they care so much about PC gaming.”

If you have reason to suspect the girl you are going back to is going to cheat on you again, why would you go back to her?

• Belua says:

Because this isn’t a girl, it’s a company developing PC games. Personally, I’d find it much more satisfying to prove their piracy comments wrong (and, if possible, have the media rub it under their noses) than boycotting them and making them leave the platform for good. That’s just missing out on some potentially good games for some kind of revenge.

29. gingerpembers says:

Oh you want my PC money wallet now do you Cliffy? Come back to say sorry have you? UP YOURS!

30. chopsnsauce says:

I’d just like to say, I love Cliffy B. In particular, I love his cool haircut and his fashion sense.

Thanks.

31. zeroskill says:

What? PC exculsive from Epic? I’m gonna believe it when I see it with my own eyes.

32. ElvisNeedsBoats says:

Reminded me of Jason Chan’s art: http://jasonchanart.blogspot.com/2012/05/zombie-playground-prints.html

33. Milky1985 says:

I like how sheng-ji seems to be running around these posts defending epic saying that they never said it was piracy that stop them, by quoting the first bit of an interview saying

“Q. Do you see the Xbox 360 as the main platform as opposed to the PC? During the whole Unreal time it was very much PC focused.

A. The PC right now is a fair amount different to what it was back in the day, with all the badly integrated video chips. Here’s the problem right now; the person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card, is a person who is savvy enough to know bit torrent to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC.”

Funny how they are not quoting the next question :

“Q. So piracy was a main point for you…

A. Right now, it makes sense for us to focus on Xbox 360 for a number of reasons. Not least PCs with multiple configurations and piracy.”

In the business world, lack of a denial tends to mean a confirmation, was a nice opportunity there to say “no it wasn’t a main point” but wasn’t taken.

34. BreadBitten says:

Honestly speaking, the visuals, as indicated by these screens, don’t really look that boundary pushing. Can’t really blame the choice of art either as the they still don’t hold a candle to the works of the Pixars and the Dreamworks about.

• mseifullah says:

Agreed. I was hoping that with the new technology and art-direction they would pull off something with Pixar-like fidelity. I wanted to look at screenshots and find it hard to believe that it wasn’t pre-rendered.

Visually, it’s a bit of a let-down for sure.

• mseifullah says:

Maybe some film-quality motion blur and character animation will help tie this together.

Otherwise, if it weren’t for the RPS article, I’d just think it was a UE3 game.

35. MythArcana says:

This looks like a TF2 ripoff to me. More PASS for me…