Earthbound: Mass Effect 3′s Next DLC Headed Home

By Nathan Grayson on July 12th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

The Reapers thought they had it easy, but they didn't count on running into Earth's most powerful weapon of all: the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

After a long, bone-density-ruining day in space doing space things, it’s only natural that you’d want to come back to Earth, kick back, and put your feet up on something familiar – say, a footrest, Big Ben, or the city of Vancouver. But, in Mass Effect 3′s Earth DLC, you’ll return home to find the place ransacked, with Reaper forces making a mess of everything and totally wrecking your perfectly organized Mt Rushmore collection. So it’s time to fight back – with a handful of new classes, guns, modifications, and whatnot, of course. Such is the way of these things.

Three new maps – Firebase Rio, Firebase Vancouver, and Firebase London – are leading the charge, with humans getting the class spotlight this time around. Specifically, Reinforcement Packs will soon yield the¬†Destroyer Soldier, Paladin Sentinel, Demolisher Engineer, Slayer Vanguard, Shadow Infiltrator, and Fury Adept. And what would this giant, civilization-extinguishing pinata be with new weapons? So you’ll also nab the¬†Piranha assault shotgun, Acolyte pistol, and Typhoon assault rifle. Meanwhile, a new Platinum difficulty tier rounds out the package, and you know that means it’s more challenging than Bronze, Silver, or Gold because it’s named after a shinier rock.

Admittedly, the screenshots still make it all look kinda space-y, which is a shame, given that a real change of scenery would be nice. But then, there are only a few of them, so who knows if they’re actually representative? I’ve assumed that rounding up solid shots was child’s play for publishers before, and I’ve definitely been wrong. So we’ll see.

As per usual, it’s all completely free – which is pretty great of BioWare, given how much some of its competitors charge for these sorts of things (read: more than free). The DLC’s dropping on July 18, so prepare yourself according to your traditional customs. Unless those customs are weird or gross. No one likes that stuff, so stop it.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. TheIronSky says:

Neato.

They should put some more effort into expanding the single player mode, since that’s really the most enjoyable part.

I geth we’ll just have to wait and see – only time will drell.

…Oh, Just kill me now.

2. BobbyDylan says:

The MP was fun, but only to achieve the “best” ending. Now, after so much time, I cant see the point of continuing to play it. Is anyone still playing this?

• TheIronSky says:

I’m currently replaying the whole series before I get to the extended endings. When I do finally get to Mass Effect: The Third, I will probably start playing it again, so I’d say this DLC has good timing.

• Ross Angus says:

Like TheIronSky, I dropped in again, to push up my Galactic Readiness. I never played with anyone who had such a low XP as I did. So I guess there are still a hard-core of players, still fighting the fight.

• AmateurScience says:

Since the extended cut you can now achieve the max readiness through SP only, you still need to do a bit of scanning, but it’s nowhere near as interminable as the ME2 scanning.

As MP modes go though, I’ve had a lot of fun with ME3′s. I’ve played it quite a bit more than any other MP game this year, but I always rather liked the combat in the ME series – even the first one – which I dipped back into after finishing Paragon Shepard’s story – isn’t terrible.

3. Mr. Mister says:

Doubting it,will be up to Falloutian standards.

4. Maxheadroom says:

Much as I loved the whole Mass Effect story arc I’ve never bought any DLC for any of it.
    To me it felt like the story was complete and these extra bits were like those bonus featurettes you get on DVDs and never watch. Have I been missing out?

• TheIronSky says:

Having played them all, I can safely say, for the most part, no. However, there are a few DLCs that really flesh out characters, especially “Lair of The Shadow Broker.” I’d say that’s the best DLC in the whole series thusfar, and perhaps some of the best missions I’ve ever played. They’re excellent, and it really explains how Liara went from “innocent researcher” to “hardened information broker.”

Well, perhaps bits of it are left out, but there’s a few comics or some extra textoid informations that fill in the rest.

Meh, I’d say it’s mostly hit and miss. They’re only worth getting if you’re really interested in the characters, or if you just want something extra to change in a certain playthrough. Some DLCs like “Arrival” change how people react to you in the third game, thus adding a little extra variety or something.

But like I said, you’re mostly correct. The story feels complete without them, and they’re really not necessary, save for LoTSB. Which is awesome. You owe it to yourself to get that one.

• Zhugie says:

ME1 had a couple of pieces of rubbish DLC but most of the ME2 story DLC is very good. Kasumi and Arrival are bit slight but Shadow Broker and Overlord are worth it if you’re a fan

• Nim says:

No. Patchwork. Lack-Luster. Low Productions Values. Detachment. Suggest they reintroduce concept of expansion packs.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Aaaand LotSB would like a word with you.

• Maxheadroom says:

Thanks all. Might treat myself to Shadow Broker then and see what all the fuss is about

• qrter says:

Lair is getting overpraised, I feel – it’s really only okay, but with the other ME2 DLC being bland and/or poor, it may seem like a beacon of creativity.

5. Kollega says:

Nitpick: Platinum is usually put above Gold in ranking systems because it’s a rarer rock, not because it’s a shinier rock. Or at least that’s what i heard.

6. Blackseraph says:

I don’t really like going to earth, Mass Effects, number three especially were far too much human centric to begin with.

And now they give us dlc for a most boring possible place in an space adventure.

Well perhaps this is just annoying nitpicking since it is free.

7. Oozo says:

Some new “Earthbound”-DLC would actually make me far more excited.

8. Greggh says:

And here I was, thinking this was going to be about a mashup between Mass Effect and Earthbound (the Snes game):

Shepard Vs Giygas – BATTLE OF THE UNIVERSE!

9. RegisteredUser says:

So I’ve spent about 1.5 years trying to bore myself through Mass Effect 1(got to about the part where I killed some being which basically almost “is” an entire planet and mindcontrolled a colony, but did more sidequests than I have hair on my head I think), which contrary to popular belief isn’t a parade of awesome cutscenes, cutting edge dialogue and “choices with consequences that carry over TO ALL GAMES!!11″, but rather around 200 hours of “click through systems, tag 2 locations on planet via moonrover, run through 3 near-empty halls while shoot-shield-recharge-cycle-wait-shoot-killing 6 enemies, unlock 5 chests via the same minigame”.

Should/could I just skip ME2 and try 3? That at least seems to be a visual leap, and maybe they came up with ideas to not make combat be a kindergarten version of Call Of Autorechargecovershoot?

In short, what I am trying to say is is there a Mass Effect that isn’t a pile of borecrap with short intermissions of “Oh wait, we were trying to actually have a point to all this, didn’t we? Here’s the same missions you did already, but with themed enemies! And now, for your time, a talkie cutscene!” ?

Nearly everything I ever looked at is trying to sound like ME was god’s gift to the modern gamer, but I found console gfx, uninspired “content” and just endless babble of $peopleIcouldnotcarelessabout”.

Does it go a bit along the lines of: If I don’t care about the talking parts(because really, its all about the “role” of Shepard and who the people are around him, and secretly a modern ‘Talkie’ Adventure?) or characters, the series is probably not for me, because the points above actually are pretty true to be fair?

• AmateurScience says:

To be honest I would have suggested skipping 1 and going straight for 2 but it’s a bit late for that. Although, if you’re not digging it now, you’re unlikely to start with ME2, despite the combat being vastly improved.

It may be time to accept that you’re not having any fun and then go play something else. Just because a lot of people really loved this, doesn’t mean that you will/must, and you could be playing something that you really click with and having fun with it.

• ElvisNeedsBoats says:

I’m going to guess you already know if you will like ME2 and/or 3.

I would say instead of skipping to a sequel, you instead take a look at why a game you don’t enjoy causes you such anger. Games are meant to entertain you. If you don’t like the game, stop playing. Other people’s enjoyment of said game should not cause you consternation, nor should you expect your definition of fun to be every one else’s.

• Zenicetus says:

I wouldn’t recommend skipping ME2 and going straight to ME3. The combat improves a bit from 1 to 2, and a bit more from 2 to 3, in terms of tactical options (especially if you play something other than a straight Soldier class), but the combat in ME3 is still just an elaboration of what you’re seeing in the first game. You can still predict where the enemy will jump you, by looking at how many waist-high walls and boxes there are for cover. The “ammo” is still too plentiful except on the hardest setting, enemies tend to be very repetitive, and so on. It is better in ME3, but not vastly better.

The main strength of the series is in the relationships you form with your team members during the various recruitment missions, throughout all three games. If you’re mainly unhappy about the pacing of the combat vs conversation interludes, and aren’t getting into the whole “team leader” RPG thing with your crew (which I’ll admit was a stretch for me sometimes, considering the way some of it’s written), then this may just not be the game series for you.

• RegisteredUser says:

Mh.

I guess then it really just is how it is.

I had a heck of a better time playing an essentially flash-gone-adobe-air tower defense game in Defender’s Quest, and that’s 80mb as opposed to 10gb. You also get to lead a band of folks. And it just felt more like it really did matter getting that new equipment and where and how you placed your team as opposed to ME.
      Not that the two really are comparable, but I’ll just never stop being be amazed how a cleverly executed concept in small can easily beat “AAA superduper title” out in terms of “can’t wait to go on playing”.

Thanks for the feedback.

10. MistyMike says:

Firebase this, firebase that. What, does it happen it Afghanistan?

11. BlackeyeVuk says:

I simply stop caring .

12. Nevard says:

More humans? Where are my playable Elcor, Volus and Hanar damn it?

13. Carra says:

I’ve just finished their competitors The Witcher 2 which gave a crapload of extras. A comic book, making off scenes, an extra game, the soundtrack, an enhanced edition, a $16 voucher and so much more, all in the regular edition.

It made me realize how greedy some other developers are, including the day one DLC for ME3.

14. Vinraith says:

Well, at least they patched the required resources so that you no longer have to play the multiplayer to get the “best” ending in single player. I do wish we could get some interesting single player DLC, though.