Lite Saber: More Free SWTOR, This Time For All

By Jim Rossignol on July 12th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

Star Wars: The Old Republic now has a free trial, hooray! Anyone is eligible, which is a good thing, and the main limiting factor is that it caps you to level 15 (the level cap is 50 for subscribers, so this will get you off the starting world to Coruscant, but not much further.) PvP and flashpoints are also available in the trial. There’s a bunch more information in the FAQ, but overall this seems like a good move for the game. Allowing folks to try it out before they plunge into the depths of their wallets is always a good idea.

, , , .

1. Didero says:

This is an interesting and kinda funny first-hand account of trying to sign up for the free trial.

• BobbyDylan says:

Shamus Young has had a fun time tring to get this to work:

• Didero says:

yes that is exactly what I linked to.

Or is the fact that ‘This’ is a link not clear enough? (That sounds passive-aggressive, but I assure you it’s not)

• BobbyDylan says:

Sorry, My bad. I didn’t see the Link was in a different colour. I thought you were refering to something I had missed in the article.

• Didero says:

The difference between black and the dark shade of red RPS uses for links is pretty small, so it’s completely understandable :)
            I’m just glad Shamus Young was the first thing both of us thought of when reading this article.

• LXM says:

Can’t say I’m surprised, trying to activate an account as a paying subscriber (this was earlier in the year) was exponentially more difficult than it should have been.

• djbriandamage says:

I’ve had similar frustrations with MMO trials before. The problem is that free trials are only available for new players, not returning players. Just create a new account and you’re sorted.

• Ross Angus says:

I would have added the same link. Shamus is always readable.

2. nasenbluten says:

I say free to play in the next 6 months.

drewski says:

Let’s hope so.

• Ignorant Texan says:

Considering that Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online are still subscription based(currently $12.99 for UO, and $14.99 for DAoC and WAR per month), I somehow don’t see that happening anytime soon.

3. Eraysor says:

I tried to play it in the current free week for returning players, but apparently if you bought the game and only played for the initial month, you’re not invited. Seems you have to subscribe for at least a month. Or just make a whole new account and use this trial system.

• Vorphalack says:

That really is bullshit when they justify the inflated box price by saying it comes with a months pre-paid game time.

• Bitrayahl says:

Yep, discovered that yesterday, AFTER downloading the huge freaking client. They carefully worded that fine print. Such bullshit.

4. Curzen says:

I wouldn’t get back to that game even if it were completely F2P. It’s WoW in space, just a lot more boring, tedious and crappy.

Anthile says:

Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you.

• Curzen says:

I didn’t know utter lack of desire to play a boring game again qualifies as aggression these days.

• Phantoon says:

I’m surprised no one has been called an entitled homophobe yet for thinking Bioware’s “artistic vision” is… crap.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

You`re an entitled homophobe for calling BioWare`s artistic vision crap.

5. Chris D says:

Yeah, thanks for the offer, EA, but I’m pretty sure this would contravene my “Never play a game that takes longer to download than reach the end of” policy.

6. Mordsung says:

The low level PvP is actually better than the top level stuff, so this would be great for anyone who wants to PvP.

Level 15 should get you enough abilities to be a threat.

7. Shooop says:

Mmmmm, desperation.

• Edawan says:

I don’t think so. It’s just a sensible thing to do.
      WoW is also free up to level 20, and I don’t think they look desperate.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Nah, in the case of SWTOR, it’s definitely desperation.

FriendlyFire says:

Difference being WoW opened up the free trial in 2011, six years after release. TOR opened up the same trial less than a year after release.

You can say the markets have changed, but even then there’s definitely a sense of urgency in TOR’s attempts at attracting new blood.

• Lemming says:

If Funcom can stick to their guns on an outrageous £11.89 subscription fee for The Secret World, then on the part of EA, this is most definitely desperation.

• ShatteredAwe says:

WoW Went Free to play after years of being pay to play. SWTOR went free to play after less than a year.

DES. PER. ATION.

8. djbriandamage says:

This might be a fun, noncommittal way to wile away some time waiting for GW2′s launch. Can anyone confirm whether we have to download the whole shebang? I seem to remember this game weighing in around 30GB.

9. ColonelClaw says:

Bioware have been awfully quiet about subscription numbers for a while now. Previously they were very up front.
    My personal take on SWTOR was that whilst the game seemed polished and played very well for me, the excruciatingly bad art direction meant I just couldn’t carry on playing. Plus, my space bar had to enter rehab after all the cutscene interrupting.

Speaking of subscription numbers for MMOs in general, does a web site that tracks them in a reliable and accurate manner exist? Or is it something that is technically untrackable?

• djbriandamage says:

Technically it’s very easy to track but not for third parties. It seems subscription figures are only worth sharing when you’re bragging to shareholders.

10. DXN says:

All the people in that picture have the same weird calves.

I feel kind of sad for SWTOR. I have no interest in it, but it’s clear they put a lot of effort and hope into it and it’s a shame that it’s become such a target for ridicule, even if it’s “deserved”. I don’t know, somehow it gives me this oddly despondent, protective feeling.

• phelix says:

“All the people in that picture have the same weird calves.”
      Yeah, well, they’re aliens after all.

• Hilden2000 says:

Yeah Trandoshans are like that. Too bad they don’t let you play as them. Or anything that isn’t just a recolored human, now with matching bone headdress.

• Phantoon says:

Sure doesn’t help that anyone that doesn’t like their game is labeled a “homophobe” when before they were refusing to say there were gay people in Star Wars. You know, before they realized they had an exploitable market.

I guess “entitled” was harder to defend as an insult. After all, people’s brains shit off if you mention any caustic argument such as homophobia, racism, sexism, politics, etc.

• Vorphalack says:

That reminds me, the game never did get its same gender romance patch did it. Nor is there any mention of it as an upcoming feature. So much for BioWare not compromising their RPG heritage to make an MMO.

• DXN says:

I’m not sure I really understand your comment. What do you mean? I see plenty of people saying they don’t like the game here without being called homophobes…

11. Scatterbrainpaul says:

Does anyone know if the Free Trial allows you to join a group and co-op with someone?

Riaktion says:

Ah this is good news, I have been wanting to give this game a go. Hooray!

13. aliksy says:

Game still stinks, still not playing it.

14. Beelzebud says:

22GB of voice acting you’ll soon start skipping over to get on with the “go fetch” quests.

15. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Trying to download now. It’s pulling down some movie that is as big as the whole of KOTOR… I don’t know if I’ll ever complete this huge download (25 gigs?! Surely not?) seeing how I’ll probably only give it a whirl for one hour.