Pop Shove-It To Indy Nosebone: Tony Hawk HD PC-Bound

By Nathan Grayson on July 12th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Kids, try this at home. Do it right now, god damn it.

As a smaller creature that vaguely resembled a Real Human, I definitely had an embarrassing wannabe skater phase. I dreamed of ramping small wheeled planks off larger, non-wheeled planks while wearing giant, ill-fitting clown shoes. But then my expectations – and, you know, my body – came crashing back down to earth, resulting in lots of blood. So I decided to keep my face far, far away from concrete, and – in the process – bought Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater. And then I never went outside again. So I liked it a lot, is what I’m saying. And now Activision’s remaking it – or rather, THPS1 and 2, in a single package – and releasing it on the most skater-friendly platform of all: PC.

So it’s a bit of an odd fit, but I’m not complaining. Later Tony Hawk games got bogged down in pointless storylines and an overabundance of fluff features that clearly resulted from repeated utterances of “Oh god, how do we justify this year’s sequel,” but THPS 1 and 2 were simple fun.

Seeing as we were only getting used to the idea that the Internet might catch on during the PlayStation era, online multiplayer’s the biggest new feature here. Free Skate also sounds nice, given that youthful board-based rebellion shouldn’t be constrained by time limits. And Hawkman – “a game mode where players fly around levels collecting a series of colored pellets before time runs out (think Pac-Man on skateboards)” – at least sounds, er, interesting.

Also, most importantly, roughly half of the original so-bad-it’s-amazing soundtrack is returning – though a who’s who of “Wait, who’s that?” is rounding out the list. Regardless, it’s definitely catering to nostalgia, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit interested. As for when it’ll be causing us all to ponder if it’s possible to be born with a more perfect last name for your chosen profession, there’s no date just yet. The Xbox Live Arcade version is dropping on July 18, but PC’s only been pegged with a vague “few weeks after.” But then, what’s a few weeks when you’re basically purchasing a time machine back to the late ’90s?

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Tridae says:

OH YEAH! I loved the first one on my PS1 back in the day. Would be a great trip down memory lane. Just that screenshot reminded me of the countless attempts at the perfect run on that map. Be mine

2. Delixe says:

Do want. Really enjoyed the first few Hawk games but when it reached the Underground series it was more Jackass: The Game.

3. houldendub says:

Hot diggity!

Series of a childhood, those games were fan-fuckin-tastic, and then they made ‘em all shit just after Underground. If it’s good and not a crappy we-don’t-give-a-fuck-about-you PC port, sweet.

4. Jim Rossignol says:

Skate was the only skating game I ever really got into. Mostly because of the open worldiness, but also because you could still point/gesture at stuff after you were horribly injured, which was funny, for some reason.

AmateurScience says:

As an undergrad I went through obligatory skate punk phase, got a deck, damaged myself terribly, played these instead.

I remember at the time thinking the soundtrack was the best thing since sliced bread. My opinions may have changed since then. Looks like I’ll have to pick this up to check!

• MistyMike says:

As an undergrad? At, like, 21? Most people have that phase at 14-16 years of age. So probably you are currently a goth…

AmateurScience says:

I was 18, and a bit of a late bloomer.

I skipped the goth phase and went straight to the ‘overweight beardie chap who despairs at current musical trends’ phase.

• MikoSquiz says:

Ionno, man. A surprising amount of goths are 40+. I’ve even met one who became a goth after her kids left home and she decided to divorce her husband, whom she never liked much in the first place. She was 40-something at the time.

6. CaspianRoach says:

Huh, THPS2&1 run just fine on my WinXP (THPS1 through a wrapper). Oh well, I guess HDifying brings something interesting in.

By the way, a very little known fact: Tony Hawk’s Underground 1 was actually ported on PC but was only sold in Australia in limited amounts. Just a fun fact.

7. MOKKA says:

It was one of the first Tony Hawks through which I first heared of the Ramones and thus starting my very long journey towards some kind of musical taste. Also those games really made my left thumb hurt.
    So yeah, definately probably gonna buy this.

8. Turbobutts says:

So here I am, doing everything I can …

9. Greggh says:

And the soundtrack!!!! Oh man! This game was awesome!

10. JD Ogre says:

Hopefully it won’t be a quick-and-dirty port…

• Bhazor says:

I’d much prefer some kind of a sick-nasty port.

• Utnac says:

For once I don’t actually care if it is quick and dirty, as long as it works to some degreee I shall be playing the hell out of it!

• noom says:

I prefer a full-bodied fruity port, myself.

11. Jason Moyer says:

Hey look, we’ve run out of ideas. Let’s just make a pile of military shooters, streamlined “HD” remakes of old games, and movies based on 80’s pop culture licenses.

• NyuBomber says:

I, too, hate when businesses fulfill their end of the supply and demand mechanism by supplying a product that a large enough number of customers demand in order to turn a profit for the business and fulfill the desire of the customers.

I especially hate it when the games they zombify are critically- and popularly-acclaimed classics that not only makes it easier for people who were around to play it the first time to reobtain, but also open it up to a newer field of players.

I also hate it when they listen to people’s concerns that things like the soundtrack are an important part of the game, and go through the red tape maze that is the matter of licensing music in order to provide a better experience.

• Jason Moyer says:

All I know is that when people say “videogames should be more like movies” they’re probably not hoping for the videogame equivalent of GiJoe, Transformers, or the Smurfs.

12. neolith says:

I really want to play it.
    I’ve learned from experience though that things I really want usually come with a serious flaw. So what is it? Starforce? Install limits? GFWL? Always online DRM? Required Facebook login?

• Aatch says:

Probably just a first-born requirement and a Facebook-enabled downloader/spyware. I can’t imagine them pulling out the indentured servitude for your descendents on a remake.

13. rockman29 says:

Awesome! Loved the original four Tony Hawk games!

14. Bhazor says:

Like Pacman but on skateboards?

All my moneys.

15. clumsyandshy says:

Nostalgia incoming!

16. Paul says:

I played the shit out of THPS2…I might get this.

17. buzzmong says:

Ah, have to admit I might get this as well.

Spent a lot of time on THPS2, did most of it as well with good scores, it was a fun game.

18. Sparkasaurusmex says:

“Also, most importantly, roughly half of the original so-bad-it’s-amazing soundtrack is returning – though a who’s who of “Wait, who’s that?” is rounding out the list.”

So what’s new and what’s gone? Did I miss the list?

• iviv says:

Public Enemy featuring Anthrax – “Bring the Noise”
      Goldfinger – “Superman”
      Powerman 5000 – “When Worlds Collide”
      Consumed – “Heavy Metal Winner”
      Lagwagon – “May 16″
      Millencolin – “No Cigar”
      Bad Religion – “You”
      Pigeon John – “The Bomb”
      Lateef the Truthspeaker – “We the People”
      Pegasuses-XL – “Marathon Mansion!”
      Apex Manor – “Teenage Blood”
      Telekinesis – “Please Ask for Help”
      El-P featuring Trent Reznor – “Flyentology (Cassettes Won’t Listen Remix)”
      Middle Class Rut – “USA”