Shipping Bricks: Brick-Force Out Now

By Richard Cobbett on July 13th, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

I hope there's a melee attack so you can kick him in the b'locks.

Honestly, I just wanted to use that title. But if you want to play Minecraft with no mining, less crafting, and more in the way of shooting people in the face with a variety of firearms and explosives, you might want to download Brick-Force and take it for a spin. You can play it in the browser via Unity, or download a client. There’s building, there’s shooting, and of course, a shiny launch trailer. Which you can check out right here…

I checked it out briefly, only to find myself trapped in the corner of the room unable to move. Due to a spider crawling through my window. Coincidentally though, the same thing happened in-game, which was a little irritating. Hopefully you’ll have better luck. It did look endearingly cute though, and I hope one day the two worlds will mix so that we can finally eradicate the scourge of the Creepers with heavy weapons fire, just like the little green bastards deserve.

Sponsored links by Taboola

Keymonk says:

I didn’t like the beta. The ‘you only own stuff temporarily if you buy them!’ payment scheme of F2P MMOs make me not want to spend anything at all.

Other than that, it just felt… clunky and awkward. Not a fan.

• gwathdring says:

Not worth leaving Ace of Spades then?

• LionsPhil says:

I’d completely forgotten that that existed.

• gwathdring says:

So had I. But on occaision I either notice it in my start menu, or think “What if Minecraft were crossed with BF19–oh. Wait a minute …”

Then I play for a bit and enjoy myself. Then I play for a bit longer and disagreeable people (hackers, haters, or hating hackers) convince me to leave.

It’s just so much fun to tunnel under someone’s base, pop-up out of the ground, shoot a few blokes, gab the flag and high-tail it out through your tunnel.

It’s even more fun when you know other people are doing the same thing and that if you listen carefully you can figure out where THEIR tunnels are and surprise them or use their tunnels against them. It’s an excellent idea, decently executed all things considered. Not enough to take lots of my time, but enjoyable when I come across it.

Keymonk says:

Oh yeah, that’s a thing. I should try that out sometime. Isn’t it in Alpha or something?

Also, I -just- got the pun in the name. Go me!

2. Ross Mills says:

It’s like someone took the original “Dock” Minecraft concept art, and made a mediocre shooter around it!

• Tei says:

Or perhaps this is the “plastic” style, cute and safe like a facebook game. So people finding “safe” styles will all find this one.

• Stromko says:

Hrm yeah they’re asking for money in a lot of different ways, pay-to-win ways to be precise, and I’d be upset if it didn’t look so shoddy, clunky and pointless. From the video it appears you could have a better action experience just joining a Minecraft PvP server, and that is sad.

Sure, you might log in and get killed by some jerk wearing full diamond right away, but at least he worked for it, or kissed the admin’s arse for it. Money cheapens.

3. SteamTrout says:

What’s it with indies and NEON FLASHING COLORS? It just feels like the first thing they think is that since they have no publisher they don’t need to follow the basic usability and “Don’t kill your users” guidelines.

• Brun says:

The reason is that because they don’t have publishers, they aren’t forced to use the standard brown/grey color scheme of modern games.

• MythArcana says:

Wrong. Bright colors attract children and that’s the target audience here obviously.

• Brun says:

Are there any games you actually like?

• neonordnance says:

Lol /thread

• Phantoon says:

Like? Unlikely. I’m sure any game he “likes”, he loves.

Man of binary tastes, he is. Which is perfectly acceptable. Not every Minecraft-like deserves attention.

4. Bharg says:

BRICK-FACE! Am I doing it right?

5. MythArcana says:

*Sigh* Can we at least graduate to hexagons soon?

• gwathdring says:

Why not skip hexagons and go straight to the good stuff: dodecahedrons. No, spheres! Everything is spheres. Make it happen.

• Skabooga says:

R.I.P. Estatica. You were truly ahead of your time.

• Phantoon says:

I like how the “see also” has nothing to do with the original thing.

• grundus says:

You know what, my memories of playing Ballz were literally just on the edge of my brain, about to leave it forever, then you go and post that and saved it all. So thanks for that, but I will blame you if I suddenly forget how to drive or forget my girlfriend’s name due to lack of empty brainspace.

• jkz says:

It’s all about the triangles.

• Koozer says:

Yeah! Wouldn’t it be great if we could have models built out of triangles…wait a minute

6. Tei says:

Looks like a nice game. I don’t understand the negative reaction in this thread.

7. KDR_11k says:

Isn’t the block system only for designing levels? It’s kinda pointless when modifying the terrain isn’t part of the actual gameplay.

8. GallonOfAlan says:

If there’s no offline,freely available server it will die on its bum.

9. alilsneaky says:

haha I don’t think a publisher has ever missed the point any harder than these guys.

People like minecraft DESPITE the crude and rather ugly graphics, making a shooter with minecraft graphics and f2p nickle n diming is not going to make people want your game, dumbasses.