Who KERS Wins: F1 Race Stars

By Adam Smith on July 13th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

Any Formula One fans who are indignantly huffing and puffing because KERS is now a verb may find themselves accidentally blowing a few porcine houses to the ground when they see the trailer for Codemasters latest use of the F1 license. F1 Race Stars does a little of Fifa Street’s cartoonification of actual sportspersons and then appears to turn the precision machines that vie for chequered glory into karts. I’m all for inventive use of a license and if there’s enough jostling and scrapping for position on ludicrous tracks, I’ll probably have more fun than I ever would with an actual car simulation. Out in November, with a career mode alongside the multiplayer. Trailer in the pits, below.

There are powerups and that sort of thing, so this really does seem to be going the Wacky Wheels (aka Mario Kart) route.

The sensation of driving up a track that stretches onward into the sky? There’s only one way to describe it.

Bracing.

I don’t know what my favourite part is. Perhaps when the rhyme scheme is suddenly jettisoned, or maybe Jenson being caught in the shower and shrugging off the intrusion. “Rubber” is up there too.

Oh, who am I kidding, I know exactly what my favourite part is. The bit when he beats a child at Jenga and celebrates so hard the kid is either about to cry, or is just really embarrassed for him

WINNING

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Gunsmith says:

I see they changed the name, It was called F1 Karts whilst I was working there.

2. Universal Hamster says:

Why go to the trouble of cartoonifying the drivers if you are just going to put helmets on them?

3. Moni says:

I will play it just to see if chibi-Raikkonen still looks like an emotionally devoid husk.

4. UncleLou says:

That’s a really nice Eames chair Mr. Button has in his home that’s certainly not his home but the kind of home the ad wants us to believe Mr. Button has.

5. Headwuend says:

I like how Hamilton is totally getting flipped off.

6. Bhazor says:

So you won the race. Does that make you happy?

Faldrath says:

For a few hopeful seconds I thought this might be a game about past F1 eras. Sigh.

Llewyn says:

That reminds me, I really should try GPL one of these days.

• Bonedwarf says:

Just reinstalled it recently after watching a series of Let’s Plays on Youtube (Let’s Race GPL it’s called) and it’s still a superb sim. Was light years ahead and can still hold its own, and the graphics just add to the feel IMO, plus very few historic tracks are available for current sims so to go race old tracks with old cars is great.

8. wodin says:

Liked it.

9. Tom OBedlam says:

what is this making me think of? Is it Sensible Soccer?

Rikard Peterson says:

I have a feeling that unsensible soccer would be more fun. :) To me at least.

I once bought a F1 game (I don’t remember the title, only that the box and thick manual was red and white), thinking it’d be fun. My only previous racing games at that time was Wacky Wheels, some relatively boring rally game I’d bought cheap and the brilliant Rollcage. The experience wasn’t exactly what I’d expected. After some frustrating time trying to learn it, I was finally able to get around the track at walking speed. That’s when I realised that a serious racing game isn’t for me. This one looks like it could be fun.

10. Muzman says:

Is this just me? I can’t look at that name without adding a dash or two before it.
    As in: “–Kers, is a game. A game about –kers. You –kers are going to love driving like –king –kers in this –king game”

11. Hoaxfish says:

Is the one in the middle flipping-off the one on the left?

• Sheng-ji says:

In real life, it’s far more likely that the one on the right and left would be flipping off each other, but yes, it does seem that way in the pic above!

• Werthead says:

The one in the middle (current world champion Sebastian Vettel) has a rather annoying habit of sticking his finger up after a victory to ensure that everyone knows that he has, in fact, won (amusingly, he’s not had much call to do that this season). He did this so much last year that other drivers (most notably Button) kept doing it back to him every time they won to annoy him.

So I’m guessing that’s what they are depicting in this picture, but the cartoonification makes it look like he’s flipping Hamilton the bird.