Have Faith: Mirror’s Edge “On The List” For A Return

By Nathan Grayson on July 14th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Maybe if we have attack choppers chase EA employees, they'll feel more motivated to actually make this happen already.

Are you sad? Tired? Angry? Upset because you spilled some milk and, contrary to popular opinion, it was in fact the end of the world after all? Well, don’t be. Today is a happy day, because criminally underrated first-person runner (with some shooty bits that should’ve leaped off a building and never looked back) Mirror’s Edge is on the comeback trail. For a while, it’s mostly been wishful thinking from folks at DICE, but now the people with the money are talking, and they’re saying wonderful, joyous things.

Speaking with Game Informer (via Videogamer), EA Labels president Frank Gibeau fired the starting gun on Faith’s long-awaited return.

“We have nothing to announce [right now]. We love Faith. We love the property. It’s really about how and when do you bring it back? It’s on the list. It’s just about looking at what teams are available, who’s got the right quality approach to it, and who understands it.”

So, unfortunately, we probably won’t see anything in the near future, but I’m of the “something’s better than nothing” school of thought in all things – except maybe hungry wolverines. Of course, now the question is what form it’ll take. I’m not entirely sure modern day EA would be willing to risk another King-Kong-sized fist-full of cash on a franchise that already stumbled once. Then again, there were rumblings that Frostbite 2 would lead Faith back into the limelight last year, so who knows?

Regardless, it’s a damn shame that no other game has really captured the stomach-lurching sensation of running, leaping, and catapulting yourself through the air since Mirror’s Edge. Obviously, a number of first-person games have attempted to follow in Faith’s footsteps and improve the sense that we embody a character, but nothing’s really touched the frantic thrill DICE’s parkour-powered opus offered. I want more. Desperately. Also, I wish my brain was a color-coded GPS capable of  highlighting routes that varied according to how often they’d require me to defy death. As is, I’m only forced to outrun attack choppers once, maybe twice per month. And, I mean, at that point, why even bother?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. squirrel says:

If I dont recall wrongly Mirror’s Edge is a Unreal run game?

Hey this is a great call for DICE. You aren’t gonna bring out any new Battlefield game, right? (not counting DLC for BF3), So? a new project is needed to keep DICE “valuable” as assessed by those retarded financial analysts of EA.

• Spengbab says:

If DICE needs a new project, surely they can think up something else other than dragging up this IP? Mirror’s Edge isn’t nearly old enough to be unplayable on today’s systems, and I’d rather see a game in a new setting.

I thought the ME story was nicely wrapped up – does it really need a sequel?

• Boothie says:

wouldnt say the story wrapped up that well, we dragged up faiths sister onto the roof and then it just ended, we dont know what happened after, Faith and Kate are still wanted and the oppressing government we spent the whole game running from is still in power, personally i just want new levels to freerun on =D ME was criminally short and it needs a sequel badly

• EeryPetrol says:

I really enjoyed the game and feel like picking it up again, but I don’t get excited about a sequel. I’d much rather hone my skills on the ample maps available then set out on a new journey. I still haven’t gotten to grips with all the DLC maps.

• Feferuco says:

The story wasn’t really all that important for the game, its weakest point. The good parts were the settings and the parkour. These could be improved and expanded a ton and that’s why a sequel would be great.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Rhianna Pratchett has complained somewhere that the story she wrote for it was mostly unused, just skimmed over. I thought how the story plays out in the game was ‘meh’ until the last level and you feel there should have been a better build-up to this. It’s the only level where Faith actually has an inner monologue and when I first discovered what triggered it, I then scoured the game for other possible triggers like hidden writing and symbols and whatnot but the bit in the vent where someone has sprayed a frustrated protest to themselves is the only bit. The game could have done with lots more touches like that.

Also- it needs to be longer(could have been done if they used more of Pratchett’s writing), fighting should have been totally optional and blended seamlessly with keeping the momentum, the levels needed more innovative routes or to be dynamic so the game wasn’t simply a quick-time button-press rehearsal and maybe with ways the player could affect the environment like create their own routes or force the police to go another way to buy themselves time to explore. Using an enemy as a means to reach an otherwise unreachable place would be good.

It seemed odd that the levels were linear but large and most of the space unused and simply there for wallpaper rather than actual functional architecture.

• Muzman says:

The most disappointing part of the story is that they set up this fantastic premise and then didn’t use it at all. Faith is an illegal message courier all of once in the game (and it’s one leg of a relay).
            That should Be the game.
            It was like if they took Thief and started it after Garrett stole The Eye.

• Zanpa says:

A new project for DICE, you say? http://www.nofrag.com/images/00643c.jpg
      How about… Battlefield 4?

EA announced that BF and MoH would alternate every other year. So, since many people at DICE are working on the DLCs for BF3, I can only imagine that BF4 will be BF3 with new maps, guns and a slightly improved engine. Ala Call of Duty.

2. TechnicalBen says:

Yey! (Don’t make it a shooty game!!!)

• roryok says:

The shooting bits in that game were some of the best shooting bits in any game recently. Sliding to pick up guns and disarming people, and not having any spare ammo for the gun you just picked up… so so so good

• Dilapinated says:

I think a lot of people missed the fact that you don’t have to shoot anyone. Ever. There’s even an achievement for never shooting a gun at an enemy (I think there’s a pane of glass you have to shatter somewhere?). It makes parts of the game a lot harder, but not impossible (possibly frustrating enough to ceiling it’s enjoyment for some, though. Depends on your tolerance for such things/skill/what difficulty you’re playing/etc).

That said, you’re left with a lot more of the first-person martial arts as a result, which were far from perfect.

Still, a wonderful game.

• Jason Moyer says:

You can shatter glass the same way you punch/kick doors in. There’s not a single point in the game where you need to fire a gun, and the only time you even need to disarm anyone is in the tutorial.

• Jackablade says:

There’s a point where you’re on a ship or something where there are two enemies with machine guns and you have to get past them and open a metal door that has a crank handle. I don’t think it’d be possible to get through there without dealing with both of them in some form or another. Even incapacitating both of them without getting basted is pretty tough.

• Jason Moyer says:

I’ve gotten through there but it took a ton of trial-and-error and watching someone else do it. There are probably 3 or 4 places where I grab a gun on a normal playthrough, but it is definitely possible to go without guns.

• subedii says:

I played it pretty much with no gunplay. As long as you’re playing it right (keep your momentum going at all times), it’s usually fine.

The only part that really, REALLY annoyed me was the server room at the end. Guy with machinegun up on an open walkway, and he’s blocking the only exit to the room. All whilst his 3-4 other chums flood the room.

I lost count of the number of times I died in that room because I didn’t want to use guns (just felt like I was playing the wrong game for that, it’s not what I wanted to do). Eventually got through by spamming Runner Vision (use it, build it up, use it…).

• Muzman says:

Really? I found that bit criminally easy. It was quite disappointing. Get the shooters to destroy the servers by running around in circles (which made me notice that the game doesn’t have fatigue and they had managed to disguise it wonderfully everywhere else). By then the guys are dispersed and you can pick them off one by one.

• subedii says:

The other guys, yes. But I was never good at timing the disarm on the machinegun guy (assuming I managed to run up to him without being perforated). At least until I remember Runner Vision.

• Muzman says:

I probably did just break out one of the other guys’ guns at that point rather than play purist, more often than not.

• Jason Moyer says:

As others have said, you get the other guys to take out the servers by running around the room. For the guy on the stairs, IIRC (it’s been awhile) you can use a launching pad somewhere to launch yourself on top of him for an aerial takedown.

• rapier17 says:

There is only one single point in the game where you have to fire a gun and that is at the prison truck with Kate inside. For the rest of the game you can do it on hard without using any guns other than at that one point.

I hope they do do a sequel, the first one was so much fun.

• Aninhumer says:

Maybe I’m just rubbish, but I tried so hard to play through that game without shooting. In the first level where you have to disarm people, I was entirely surprised when she kept hold of the gun. I felt like it completely ruined the flow, since it just added the pointless step of throwing away the gun before you could do anything else. But later on, I found the timing of the disarming on the more heavily armoured enemies completely impossible to pull off reliably, which made sequences with more than about 2 of them in so irritating I just gave up and shot them.

• sinister agent says:

I was fine at the start (although it took a few goes to get the hang of disarming), but I too found some of the later bits impossible to do without killing anyone. I gave the “no guns” thing a really good go, but eventually got bloody sick of it and just shot a bunch of those really irritating guards on the boat. I’d rather have it without the fighting than have to replay the same section 300 times because some twat with a machine gun is in my way.

Maybe they could have more divided alternative routes – say one path through some rooms with guards in, and another in different rooms without any, or with more but more poorly equipped ones. Just no more of that going toe to toe with stormtroopers crap, please.

• particlese says:

I had a great time running around not shooting anyone, but I made the mistake of playing without runner vision the first time through, so I was often killed while looking all over for the “exit”. An open-world sequel to Mirror’s Edge where you can make up your own route as you go could be absolutely amazing, but I’d take more of the same.

Here’s hoping both ME2 and Prey 2 see the light of day.

3. phelix says:

Yeah, it’s on the list, alright. Behind the one-thousand-and-one upcoming Sims 3 and Battlefield 3 DLC packs.
    I do hope EA doesn’t screw it over for the sake of making profit, like they too often do.

• Kadayi says:

Does anyone force you to buy these things? Also I kind of think making a profit is a necessary thing in order to fund future games.

• zeroskill says:

Thankfully, no, they are not forcing me to buy DLC. I’m glad EA isn’t in a market leading position for that mather.

Thankfully I can support companies that still stay true to supporting communities with free DLC, and mod tools. Burn in hell EA. And take all the franchises you killed with you. Nobody wants your Syndicate and Ultima disgraceful moneygrabbing crap.

Oh and for Mirror’s Edge? Dream on. DICE is too busy making mappacks for EA to whore out.

• Kadayi says:

“Thankfully I can support companies that still stay true to supporting communities with free DLC”

I’m pretty sure all the DLC for ME3 has been free so far. However how many companies actually release Free DLC as a matter of course beyond Valve? Not many that I can think of truth be told.

• Vorphalack says:

ME3 has had some free DLC for two reasons; countering the bad launch PR and getting the traditionally single player user base online. Inevitably both of these are simply to sell more mediocre DLC packs in the future. If you think it’s an altruistic gesture then you are fooling yourself.

• zeroskill says:

“The reason Valve do it is because the huge income they generate from Steam allows them to do so (they aren’t reliant on their own games sales to stay in business) and because it strengthens the Steam distribution platform. For instance Dota 2 is all about market penetration and getting the Steam store onto more machines in the hope that those new players become Steam customers.”

Valve has always had free DLC and modding tools for all the games they ever released. This isn’t a new thing. While you state the obvious, I can’t see how this is not a good thing for everybody involved.

Valve get’s more customers on Steam, players get a completely free Dota 2, and while doing it, they also strengthen the e-sport community and give modders a way to earn money with their community created content. Everybody involved wins. It’s what I call an intelligent way to go about buisness.

There are a lot of other companies that are (or once where) very supportive of their communites, DICE being one that once used to be. Those times are gone. Sadly, and for shame of some of the huge publishers, one has to look towards indie developers, some of who once actually were employed by said huge corperate publishers like EA.

One example would be Almost Human, who will be releasing a free update, which will include a level editor, very soon.

Flying Wild Hog has just updated their game Hard Reset with the Exile DLC completely free. It’s not just Valve. You just have to care to look.

• SkittleDiddler says:

“I’m pretty sure all the DLC for ME3 has been free so far”

Nope, unfortunately: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content#Mass_Effect_3

• subedii says:

No Valve definitively wants to make money off of Dota 2, no less than League of Legends does (and I suspect they may very well be more successful). If the objective was simply to get more Steam users and nothing else, Dota’s precisely the wrong game to do so with. It’s far too hardcore and insular, with a community that’s infamous for being one of the most outright hostile on the internet, and there are much better options available. Unlike basically every other MOBA, they’re deliberately not making any gameplay changes to make the game more accessible, they want to keep it hardcore and e-sports centred (a bit like Starcraft 2′s design decisions). Instead they’ve been focussing on the community / UI features in terms of making the game more accessible. That could be enough, but who knows.

The core game is free, but the cosmetic additions will be paid for, and LoL (and with regards to Valve, TF2) has already proven that people are willing to pay mint for those. They also expect to be making money from the competitive / e-sports scene, as Zeroskill said (paid streaming and so on).

That said, “Free” DLC is exceedingly rare, and paid for DLC isn’t in itself something to get upset about. The time to start worrying is when they start charging for bits that you would have ordinarily expected to be part of the core game, core functionality, “pay-2-win” styled gameplay, things that unnecessarily fragment the community, and similar. I can think of examples of both good (adding value), and bad (fairly cynical cashgrab) coming from EA.

• zeroskill says:

“If the objective was simply to get more Steam users and nothing else, Dota’s precisely the wrong game ”

Dota 1 had (before Dota 2) a 10 million people strong active userbase…of course they are gonna make money with cosmetics, and tournament tickets, what have you, but the main draw for Valve, financially, is getting those people on Steam. In my honest opinion. Not even counting new users.

• subedii says:

I’d say the main draw is getting their money. They’re an audience that loves the game and have typically proven they’re willing to spend on cosmetics (though admittedly not in the original DOTA).

Of course, this is also just conjecture on my part as well.

I guess either way you look at it, Valve makes more money. I just think that they intend to be profitable off of the direct userbase, not in as much of ancillary manner.

• Tams80 says:

To be honest most Valve games need free DLC if you paid full price for them. As great fun as they are and as solid a gaming experience as they provide, there just isn’t that much content in them (I’m not saying a lack of detail, story, humour, etc., just that they are a bit short).

• Kadayi says:

@Vorphalack

And you think Valve give away their stuff for any other reason than to hook people into Steam?

• Vorphalack says:

I’m sure Valve are always looking for ways to get people using Steam. I didn’t say they were purely altruistic either. Always be suspicious of free things.

• Tams80 says:

I’d rather there was more discussion about Mirror’s Edge here, but then I can just read the other posts for that.

What’s wrong with DLC anyway? It’s adding more to the game and if you want you buy it. The DLC is hardly free to make. As long as the original game has a good amount of content for its price and the DLC has a good amount of content for its price, what’s the problem?

Don’t go harking back to expansions. They were pretty much just big DLC packs and cost what I think they were worth. I do like ‘expansions’ more than ‘DLC’ as a phrase though. =D

• Vorphalack says:

> ”As long as the original game has a good amount of content for its price and the DLC has a good amount of content for its price, what’s the problem?”

I can’t name many games from the last 5 years where either of those has been evident. DLC is frequently abused by publishers as a way to increase the profit margin of a title while giving as little back as possible. EA are one of the worst offenders here, especially when it comes to pricing and cutting content from the title before it ships. You can’t really blame the guy for being jaded after witnessing EA’s past form with DLC.

• Kadayi says:

I’m not an out and out fan of DLC, but in truth I can’t think of anything I’ve bought from EA that’s really underwhelmed me in terms of cost Vs enjoyment (maybe one of the DA:O DLCs ). I think integration tends to be more of an issue, however like anything these things I expect them to get better over time.

4. catmorbid says:

If it’s coming back, there will be more guns. Also, less and more linear plot (is it even possible?). Running will probably be the same, except this time there’s only one route to go to. Yes, I’m not a believer.

• Yosharian says:

Mirror’s Edge 2 has been announced!

New features:

- Cover system implemented
      - Multiplayer with unlockable weapons
      - Singleplayer campaign with unskippable cutscenes making up 50% of the game
      - Freerunning has been streamlined, now the player character automatically jumps/slides etc
      - Cosmetic improvements to Faith’s character: tripled breast size, now wears bikini at all times
      - Faith carries a customized Uzi 9mm with unlockable red dot sight
      - QTEs replace melee combat
      - Iron sights implemented
      - New storyline involving aliens trying to take over the world
      - Brand new score by LMFAO
      - Cameo appearances by EA brand characters such as Commander Shepard
      - Day One DLC: freerunning disabled unless you complete the DLC level, otherwise it’s just a manshooter
      - 5 hour singleplayer campaign, multiplayer takes 50 hours to unlock all weapons + items. Map packs on the way

etc

• Aninhumer says:

“- QTEs replace melee combat”
        The combat in the original was pretty much a quick time event…

• Mman says:

“Freerunning has been streamlined, now the player character automatically jumps/slides etc”

This is my cold-sweats nightmare for Mirror’s Edge 2. I could take all that other stuff combined if they didn’t fuck up the platforming at all (or outright improved it), but with the trend of making platforming controls as simplistic and skill-less as possible I can just imagine their first demonstration of the game being “Hey check out our cool new innovation, the AWESOME BUTTON. You hold it down and Faith does all the cool shit for you!”

5. Lacero says:

While this is great, I’m now sitting here trying to remember the game and my main memory is the sound she makes when she falls too far and breaks her legs.

That happened way too much when I was playing.

• Spengbab says:

Well, maybe she shouldn’t try and run up and down white/blue skyscrapers, silly girl. That’s what stairs and elevators are for.

6. Jimbo says:

Probably be turned into some lame turn-based strategy.

7. DevilSShadoW says:

Yessssssssssssssssss
    I just has to log in from work an express my happiness
    This is great news

8. Cytrom says:

I’d be looking forward to a game like this, but its EA. Its gonna get cut content dlc’d and microtransactioned to the death, with monthly subscription multiplayer, drm, narrowing customer rights as much as possible, streamlining the experience to the point of total blandness and stupidity, and all the corporate bullshit stuffed down your throat imaginable.

I swore I’d never buy any EA product ever again after BF3 and ME3 and i will stand by it. Buying their games is a rollercoaster of excitement, disappointment, mistreatment and neglect of customers, and broken promises or flat out lies. They make way too much money with their greedy destructive ways, that they simply don’t deserve, and their continued existence and flourishment is a cancer of the gaming industry.

• Kadayi says:

*tumbleweeds*

• FhnuZoag says:

Is there like a ‘I am wounded emotionally forever and will never buy another EA and/or Bioware project’ comment template you guys copy and paste, or something? Because these things are paragraphs long, and one would have thought you guys have better things to do that type in the exact same thing, content wise, on anything on the internet even slightly relating to EA.

• SkittleDiddler says:

You never know, someone who is completely ignorant of EA’s shady business practices could wander upon this page, read Cytrom’s comment, and learn a thing or two by either a) taking him for his word or b) doing a bit of research. The more people that know about EA’s cash-grabbing ways, the better off we’ll all be further down the road.

But, as they say, ignorance can be bliss.

• FhnuZoag says:

Truly you hero you.

• Kadayi says:

Indeed. Where would we be without guys like this reminding us in every comment thread everywhere that remotely relates to anything EA related how twisted and EVIL they are and how buying any of their games is a war crime and anyone who does is a war criminal. If there’s legitimate issues sure I’m down with that, but when it’s a case of people holding childish grudges against a company for stuff that happened years ago it falls into the realms of ‘file under care: subsection: give a shit’.

• Jason Moyer says:

EA’s released some of my favorite games ever in recent years, and strangely enough I’ve never had them do anything to mess up my gaming experience. I guess YMMV.

• Cytrom says:

No, the developers EA bought made them, and EA tried really hard every time to ruin an otherwise good game.

I guess people liked in Mass Effect 2 where you couldn’t access parts of your ship because you had to buy them in separate dlc, or how the last battlefield games were released in a broken unfinished state, and were left in such state for almost a year with little to no communication from the devs, or how crysis’ sequel turned into a cod clone, or how dragon age origins’ sequel turned into shit, or how their games are getting shorter and less interactive with every release, yet costing more with all the dlc garbage. Pretty much all EA games in the past few years have been sequels and almost all of them are getting worse and worse than their predecessors, with worse and worse customer rights and value, while EA gets richer.

EA games are not good BECAUSE of EA, some of them are just good DESPITE of EA’s active efforts to ruin them.

• Kadayi says:

“The same good games could have been real classics if it wasn’t for the corporate greed.”

LOL. You think people make games for charity? The AAA games industry isn’t that profitable in terms of shareholder income. The vast bulk of the money gets ploughed back into the business as future development. If you want big profits on shares you buy someone like Apple who pay much bigger dividends.

9. Anthile says:

ヽ(´ー`)ノ

10. Wang Tang says:

I liked the game. But I stopped playing after hour or so, because it was the first game which gave me headaches. Didn’t touch it ever since…
    So I can’t say I’m very excited about a potential sequel ;)

11. Kadayi says:

Excellent news. Really enjoyed the first game ( though it suffered from a couple of hideous difficulty spikes in places). Hope that there’s a bit more street level running to it and it’s not all rooftops, carparks and empty buildings.

12. coldvvvave says:

Hope they don’t remove guns.

13. MeestaNob says:

I bet BioWare is making it.

14. Voon says:

Please don’t fuck this up
    Please don’t fuck this up
    Please don’t fuck this up
    …PLEASE

15. MOKKA says:

This is how I read the statement:

‘Blablabla blablablabla blabla blabla
    blablabla Faith blablabla
    blabla blablabla (…)’

I will believe it when I see some actual footage of the game.

16. Soon says:

I thought the running sections rarely felt long or dynamic enough in the main game, and the trials lacked some of the excitement. Filling up the space somewhere in between would be wonderful.

Dishonored is also looking good for fans of movement.

17. Hardlylikely says:

I would love to see a sequel of this game that builds on the possiblities of the first without losing what made it special. If they improved the systems around facing armed NPCs and made small improvements to the running, but stil kept it a focussed atmospheric experience would be fine by me.

If not, I could always go to the parkour something.

18. Lacero says:

brown is the new white

19. Wut The Melon says:

Well, this is no news… EA has said this before, etc. It doesn’t mean that a second game is in the works, it doesn’t even mean that it will be made. Regardless, I hope that it will… not because of the (mediocre) story but because I hated and loved the gameplay in the first and they really need to make it more open and do something about the f-ing combat (such as completely remove it, as far as I’m concerned).

ME had the potential for greatness, I hope ME2 will cut out the stupid annoying bits and improve on the really nice bits.

20. RagingLion says:

Yes please!

21. Yosharian says:

nvm

22. Muzman says:

It’s nice to know they care even a little. It’s a pretty unique concept, look etc. You shouldn’t give up on things like that.
    I suspect they noticed that it’s done quite well on sale over the years, so if they iron out the problems people had there’s a pretty big in built audience.

Aside from things about the combat I think the main problem is level design. They’re trying to balance freedom, movement, and momentum with realism and difficulty in a way that’s really hard I’d say. Like acrobatics itself, even if you get it mostly right you could end in a faceplant (and they got a hell of a lot right the first time. Consider in racing games and inMomentum etc, you don’t really feel it unless you’re going hundreds of kilometers an hour. Mirror’s Edge made you feel the speed at 20)..
    Some sort of Valve-ish prototyping is called for methinks.

23. pepper says:

This excites me and will be a day one buy for me after picking up the game for cheaps 2.5 years ago. Although I can imagine its not for everyone.

24. RakeShark says:

Every time I see a Mirror’s Edge screenshot or conceptual art piece, it feels like someone’s splashing cool refreshing water on my eyes. So clean, so brilliant, so deceptively simple.

25. DClark says:

Just like I don’t want Ubisoft to make Beyond Good & Evil 2 until they’re at a point where they’re not abusing PC gamers with DRM, delays, and treating us like second class citizens, I don’t want DICE to make Mirror’s Edge 2 until EA decides to stop trying to cram Origin down my throat.

• RakeShark says:

From what I’ve read, heard, and investigated for myself, most of the DRM issues from the past couple of years have been abandoned and even removed from past Ubisoft releases. It’s Why I bought From Dust recently, as I know they nixed its DRM. The UPlay is a minor annoyance but it doesn’t need to be online unlike in the past.

However, EA’s Origin looks like it’s here to stay. I hate to say “Deal with it”, but outside of retail and Amazon you’ll be hard-pressed hoping for a digital release of a new EA published game outside of Origin. Unfortunate I’ll agree, but there’s not much one can do other than forgo EA products entirely or kidnap a friend with Origin games, letting him out of the hole ONLY to deal with his account and assorted frontend/UI/online issues.

• Kadayi says:

@DClark

Ubisoft stepped away from the always on DRM stance some considerable time ago (don’t you people ever check).

• DClark says:

“You people” doesn’t sound elitist at all…

I don’t recall specifically mentioning their always-on DRM. Ubisoft has used pretty much every major DRM scheme created (SecuROM, Starforce, Tages, Uplay, Steam, and GFWL) but implementing an obscene DRM scheme then backing away from it after they realize what everyone told them would happen happened earns them brownie points in your book?

As for Origin, Origin exclusivity means a no-buy for me. I turned my back on EA for Mass Effect 3 even though Mass Effect is one of my favourite games and I also enjoyed ME2 very much. My games backlog is over 30 games so I can ignore EA for the foreseeable future.

• oceanview says:

Don’t mind Kadayi. He’s one of those guys that defends big companies.

• Jason Moyer says:

I refuse to buy Half-Life 3 until Valve stops ramming Steam down my throat.

Seriously, why does Valve get a free pass on this, but everyone hates Origin which is functionally the same thing?

• Mman says:

Because Steam already exists, and (at least for now) Origin offers nothing new at all except for more of the same from a far less trustworthy publisher.

• DClark says:

Back when Half-Life 2 was released in 2004 I actually did refuse to buy it because of Steam. I finally relented in December 2010 because I felt that Valve had Steam working to an acceptable degree, it gave customers perks in exchange for its DRM, and it offered some really nice sales. I still won’t buy a game full price from Steam but I’ll pay more for a Steam DRMed game than a game using any other DRM more severe than a disk check.

26. AJ_Wings says:

I really want to be excited, I really do. But I don’t believe EA will let DICE put out a worthy sequel in their current state.

27. mariusmora says:

I really really pray for EA and DICE (or whatever studio develops it) to take a Borderlands 2 aproach to the sequel. PLEASE. You have the basis for a fucking awesome game! Just throw your money at it, EA!

Anyway, i know that’s quite an utopia so i hope at least they don’t ruin it completely. Why there’s no mod support for this game?? There would not exist the need for a sequel, then :(

28. fish99 says:

I absolutely love Mirrors Edge, must have finished it 5 times now. It’s really nice with the physx stuff turned on as well if your system can handle it and keep ~60fps (a must for this sort of game). Definitely plenty of scope for a sequel from a story POV too, it’s not like you made a dent on the bad guys really.

29. Matt_W says:

Just starting playing ME; picked it up at a Steam sale. I love it far more than I expected to. I don’t know why they don’t put out a sequel. The original apparently fell short of expectations but still sold more than 2 million copies, which I would think qualifies as a successful franchise starter, no matter the expectations.

30. Urthman says:

Lots of people love Mirror’s Edge, but does anyone “love Faith” except the president of EA?

About the only time anyone cared about Faith was when we all rolled our eyes at the guy on Deviant Art who gave her a boob job. And that was more just exasperation at gamers than any actual affection for Faith.

• Muzman says:

The things I liked about it I liked enough that I could ignore the other stuff most of the time. The story and character development might not have been great, but the basis of them was enough for me. A tough female orphan freerunner in a super shiny panopticon future, belonging to a group of devil-may-care illegal couriers: that’s just damn cool. That set my imagination..er, running plenty as it is. So, yeah; I like Faith
      (although if they’re going to call her Faith in this context I think they should have just grasped the nettle and called her sister Grace, but they pussed out there).

31. woodsey says:

The exact same man has said this several times since the first game’s release. Gibeau’s firing blanks, and it seems he knows it – nothing to be excited about.

32. onodera says:

I personally wouldn’t mind if they simplified freerunning. I still remember how frustrated I was by that point in the tutorial where you have to rappel down, then let go and roll. I played ME right after finishing then current Prince of Persia and the need to time the roll button annoyed me to no end. Of course I want to roll right when I land, why can’t I press the button at any time durjng the fall?

• Vinraith says:

It’s fundamentally a different kind of game. Mirror’s Edge’s whole point, as best I can tell, is to make the most twitch-heavy free running game possible, so that having any kind of flow or speed requires significant skill on the part of the user. It’s the antithesis of the “make decisions about where to go and let the character handle the rest” model of PoP and Assassin’s Creed. Personally, I think it’s nerve-wracking, frustrating, and no fun at all, but it’s clearly not designed for me. There’s certainly nothing else like it, so I can understand why people that enjoy this particular movement model would want to see a sequel.

• jaheira says:

“why can’t I press the button at any time durjng the fall?”

Because that wouldn’t require any skillful input from you. You might as well say, “why doesn’t Faith just roll automatically on landing?” From there it’s a short hop to watching the game rather than playing it.

Edit: ninjad by Vinraith, basically.

33. The Magic says:

They’re been saying this repeatedly for years. For ages it’s been “We love faith, we just don’t know what to do with her.”

34. MordeaniisChaos says:

The shooty bits were A) fine, and B) totally optional, and C) incredibly sparse. There were a lot of times you COULD have picked up a gun but most of the time you were too busy running away from the source of the guns to ever do so.
    Hopefully it’s a much more polished and complete game than BF3 remains to this day. Yuck. Major bugs that break the game and have been known about for months and months still not being fixed? Nice! A shitty way to launch into the game that breaks the game if I keep it open in the background? Nice! Piss poor options for servers! Nice! The game part is pretty fun (with some issues, like the balance on starting out vs someone totally decked out in upgrades and parts and accessories being totally overkill) and with a squad of buddies it’s a goddamn hell of a time, but everything surrounding the multiplayer gameplay was awful. And the campaign gets downright insulting with how it treats the Marine Corps name. It was pretty evident that they never once did any research on Marines, who in the game never talk or act or behave like Marines, and they were even so thick skull-ed as to use “Hooah” as the ‘like’ equivalent? Really? I don’t see the fucking Army in a starring role, and it’s a little gross that they didn’t bother to figure that shit out.
    And I don’t really think EA is to blame for this crap. Maybe they could have done a better job handling quality control, but Dice made these decisions, not EA. And it’s a bit of a bummer.
    I’ll remain interesting and hopeful, but cautious none-the-less.

35. Carra says:

Before reading your post I thought “I’d love another Mirrors Edge, but without the shooting.”

It was a very good game, one that I actually managed to finish :)

36. Totally heterosexual says:

I cant say I liked Mirrors edge. First person parkour just does not work if you ask me.

Faith was beautiful though. More women like this thanks.

37. FuktLogik says:

Um, EA already said pretty much the exact same thing earlier this year, at least 4 months ago.

38. bill says:

Open world city for free running please, with metroidvania style opening up of areas by moving cranes or demolishing buildings.

The time trials were great, none of the combat, the ability to kind of pick your own routes, and there being multiple runs on the same map.

That said, I tend to offer a narrative and a goal, so this would be the best of both worlds.

I thought that the characters, setting and basic story ideas were pretty solid, and if like to see more of them, just better told this time. And no real combat. Courier missions day job plus rebellion on the side- dark Angel style, but more white and with faith.

39. Suits says:

Give me an FOV slider next time please

40. kaffis says:

Oh, look. EA might release another game that I want to play, but won’t because I don’t want Origin anywhere near my data.

Comment on this story