No Consolation Needed: Epic Mickey PC-Bound Nov 18

By Nathan Grayson on July 14th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

Green robo-dragon needs sustenance! Also, will soon be blue robo-dragon.

Sure, Epic Mickey 2 may be part of a diabolical scheme in which we play as one kind of rodent (mouse) while being another type of rodent (guinea pig) for Warren Spector’s goal of turning every videogame ever into a musical, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be great. I’m curious, at least, given all the fightin’ words¬†Spector’s been throwing around about his game’s maturity and the industry’s lack thereof. Fortunately, we won’t have to wait too terribly long to find out whether or not the cyberbrain behind Deus Ex has finally short-circuited, because Joystiq brings word from Comic-Con that Epic Mickey 2′s PC version is launching day-and-date alongside consoles on November 18. Also, Disney released the sing-along sequel’s opening cinematic today, so you can even do a little judging right this very second.

So that was… very Disney-like. But then, that’s just the set up. Now Spector and co have to knock it out of the park. I will say, though, that I liked the lavish 2D style used in the trailer’s opening moments far more than what I’ve seen of the actual in-game graphics. As for the singing, it didn’t particularly bother me, but I didn’t really see a need for it in that particular scenario. Hopefully there’ll be far more to it than simple exposition in the final game. After all, music’s a fantastic emotional conduit, but there’s a time and a place. So I’m hoping for the best, seeing as it’s an idea that may just be crazy enough to work, and Spector did sort of create one of the greatest games of all time back in the day. Giant, four-fingered gloves crossed, anyway.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Anthile says:

So how many (alleged) big titles are coming out in November now?

2. Vegard Pompey says:

I apologize for being nitpicky, but you should’ve included the 2 in the title; for a moment, I thought that the original Epic Mickey was getting a PC port. I was disappointed to find out you were referring to the sequel, which I already knew would be getting a PC version.

3. Arathain says:

So how was the original?

• trjp says:

It had the worst camera in third-person game history – and if the camera didn’t make the game more frustrating than it needed to be, the Wii controls were ready to step in.

The rest of the game was actually quite good – but the difficulty/frustration that the camera generated was enough to drive most people away.

• MichaelPalin says:

It did drive me away. By the moment the world was eventually opening for me and the incredibly long tutorial was coming to an end it was too late for me. Some people said it had an interesting, non-linear mission structure, I’ll never know.

• D3xter says:

Think Psychonauts, Beyond Good & Evil or to a somewhat lesser extent Alice/Darksiders, it’s kind of the games it reminded me of the most. Just wish they’d port it to PC :/

• trjp says:

Except with a camera which moves when you’re trying to gauge a jump – or refuses to show you where you’re going – or hides enemies behind you – or just generally wanders around doing it’s own thing.

It’s unfair to compare it to games like BG&E or Darksiders because they worked and Epic Mickey didn’t.

Honestly – unless they’ve been gifted with someone who has the foggiest idea how to make a camera work – we’re in trouble here.

• Babrook says:

It was charming, the paint mechanic was pretty unique and cool, the world was interesting , and it should have all come together as a wonderful game. But it didn’t. The Wii controls were somewhat unresponsive, and the camera was…deplorable. The entire time I played it – and I was only able to stomach maybe 40% of the game before walking away – I just wished it have received a PS3 or PC release, where things would be easier to control.

I’m especially happy to see the sequel on the PC since the mouse should do a good enough job with the paint mechanic. I think it is safe to assume they’re going to fix the camera, so if you’re into 3D Platformers, Disney, or just something a tad bit different, you should be looking forwards to this.

• Arglebargle says:

Good interface will get you through bad game better than bad interface will with good game. Oh well, at least around these parts….

4. RakeShark says:

Hrm, suppose this is the “I’m bold-face lying to you singing about bunnies and happiness” villain song, as opposed to the traditional “ooooh I’m so bad don’t'cha just love it” villain song Disney’s well known for.

5. Freud says:

If the musical part is just cutscenes, it will be as annoying as lengthy cutscenes without singing is. If they manage to incorporate it seamlessly into the gameplay, it might work.

6. Chris D says:

I’m all for games as musicals, though I felt this particular number left me a little underwhelmed.

I guess each extra art form you try to fold together effectively multiplies the difficulty of the whole project. Still, given the choice I’d rather more developers tried something ambitious, even if they don’t quite make it, instead of more “We basically just filed off the serial numbers”-type sequels.

Here’s hoping this one works out.

• GameCat says:

Bastion showed us that music with lyrics can be played durning gameplay. I think level with Zia’s Song was that moment when I fell in love with this game.

7. Eclipse says:

damn :-\ I was hoping for a PC port of the first game… this sequel seems somewhat interesting anyway

• trjp says:

You can probably buy a Wii and this game for less than they’d ask for a PC port anyway (there are Wii’s with 3 months guarantee under ¬£30 – Wii games are near worthless too).

Then you’d also be able to play Super Mario Galaxy which is – without shadow of a doubt – the greatest video game ever made.

• Vandelay says:

Currently playing Super Mario Galaxy and I concur. It really is a wonderful thing. Don’t think I have had so much fun playing a game in a very, very long time.

8. marcusfell says:

ITS A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL

9. Revisor says:

I hate Disney and all it represents, the stories without progress, the asexual characters, and the copyright/DRM/ACTA/SOPA lobby.

I respect Warren Spector because of Deus Ex, a game where you can choose to be as violent or non-lethal as you want.

Discuss.
    Or not.
    Just wanted to vent.

10. The Sombrero Kid says:

I don’t get why everyones ignoing the elephant in the room here, warren spector spouted all the same pish about player choice etc. he’s spouting now about epic mickey & it turned out he was talking shit, he doesn’t seemed to have learned from that monumental failure but people are still interested? I see no reason to expect Warren Spector to perform anymore although i’d love to be surprised by epic mickey 2. Paint or thinner is not an interesting or complex choice.

11. MichaelPalin says:

I’m really really sad that Spector is wasting his talent on a Disney game (I hate Disney). And the worst part is that he is a fan of Disney. And now with musicals, really? Don’t you realize Mr. Spector that nobody is actually building over the potential of Deus Ex? Shouldn’t you take advantage of it and make us all happier at the same time?

• LionsPhil says:

…nobody is actually building over the potential of Deus Ex?

It’s called Dishonored.

And no. He’s busy making himself happier. If he can land a job he’s enthusiastic about, more power to him.

Comment on this story