House Of Horrors: Anna Released

By Adam Smith on July 16th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Anna caught my eye the first time I saw her. A sun-dappled beauty with a spooky and melancholy soul who would allow me to interact in ways far more interesting than the usual pointing and clicking. With an intricately detailed central location and a plot that apparently changes based on the player’s actions, Anna could bring smarts and sensitivity along with fear and trembling. It’s available on Desura now for £6.99 and I hope to take a look soon. Here’s a trailer for your eyes.

PLANT POT TO THE FACE

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Torn says:

With Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs delayed until 2013, I might need this in my life. From the trailer it looks like Penumbra mixed with adventure game mechanics.

Also looks pretty nice for a Unity game!

• LeiterJakab says:

Unity is a very solid game engine. It takes a lot of work to create high quality models and textures and to craft a high quality scene with them.

2. Anthile says:

Will there be a WIT for this? It looks vaguely interesting but every seasoned adventure gamer knows how games that look good can be absolutely terrible to play.

• Herzog says:

What Anthile said. WIT would be greatly appreciated!Or is there a demo for this?

• Dervish says:

I am particularly worried by what seems to be low frame rates in the outdoor sections. When I see technical issues in a trailer–something that’s supposed to show off the game at its best–I don’t have much hope for the game running well. I like spooky first-person games but not headaches.

3. Ministry says:

This looks very exciting to me, and I love me a good creepy game. Very few games actually accomplish being creepy but this one looks like a winner.

4. Rinox says:

Looks good, but what is with the ‘distortion’ in the camera view in the last minute of the trailer? The small hitches. Looks super annoying.

• Milos says:

“You will not receive any visual hint about when you should get scared” *immediately proceeds to give visual hints that we should get scared.*

I hope that was only done for the trailer and isn’t an in-game mechanic.

• Rinox says:

I had the same reaction, and like you I hoped it was just a trailer effect so didn’t want to say anything! :-D

5. houldendub says:

Time for a “Wot I think”, I think!

6. Cryo says:

That trailer seems to promise a bit much.

• Bobby Oxygen says:

I think it’s safe to assume that it won’t be able to deliver on all of those promises. I’m still a bit intruiged, though.

7. tlarn says:

As the potted plant hurtled towards the visitor’s face, it simply thought, “Oh no, not again.”

And if we knew why the plant thought this, we would understand a great deal more about this videogame than we do now.

8. pakoito says:

Staring Eyes tag required

9. Katana-Bob says:

God help me, but… PLANTFACE!!!

10. Shooop says:

I’m very intrigued by the game’s AI which determines what happens on the fly. I’m looking forward to the WIT.

11. ymgve says:

It looked good, but my first impression with the game soured me on the deal.

- No option for inversed mouse, which should be a basic requirement for every FPS/3PS game released on the PC
    - Escape key doesn’t do anything so I had to peck wildly till I managed to get a menu that let me gracefully exit the game

The game is probably good, but I’m unable to play it unless they patch in inverted mouse controls.

• anotherman7 says:

My first impressions aren’t that great either. Using mmb to open the inventory only seems to work half the time and the Amnesia-aping physics seem pretty fiddly in comparison.

• 9of9 says:

I’ve always wanted to understand this – who uses inverted mouse controls and why? I mean, to someone like me who uses normal mouse controls, it’s feels completely wrong and counter-intuitive and I imagine that anyone used to inverted controls would find normal mouse controls the same. But… why would anyone be used to inverted mouse controls? Was there a slew of FPSes back in the 90s that inexplicably defaulted to inverse mouse controls that people got used to? Is it some kind of weird carryover from joysticks? Thumbsticks? I just don’t get it >.<

• quijote3000 says:

I second the question, why the use of inverted mouse?
        First, if somebody likes it that way, then devs should try to deliver, of course. But I have never used it, and I don’t know anybody who does

• zarfius says:

I have a few friends that like inverted mouse controls and a few that don’t (myself included). It can get really annoying sometimes if we are playing a game together because we have to keep swicthing the control mode mid-game.

I beleive it’s the way we each visualise the camera. One way is to see at as up looks up and down looks down (the normal way). The other way is to see it connected to a stick on a pivot point. Moving one end of the stick down moves the other end up. Pilots seem to have this kind of thinking

• Deccan says:

Indeed pilots do. I attribute my inverted mouse habit to the staggering amount of Wing Commander I played in my youth.

To mess things up a bit further, I do not invert the Y-axis when I play FPS games on a console.

Different modes of spatial awareness, I guess.

• Ovno says:

Personally my use of inverted mouse comes from two places…

1) Flight sims from the spectrum/c64 onwards, on any fly sim ‘pull back’ => ‘pull up’ as that is the way it works in a plane.

2) Its about what I think the mouse controlls, to me the mouse controls my characters head (or to put it another way is on top of my characters head) if I move the mouse back the head tilts back and vice versa for forwards.
          Whereas for those who use non inverted mouse, you’re controlling the crosshair you move your mouse forwards you expect the pointer to m ove up, but the pointer is fixed so you expect the view to move up.

Personally I think it comes down to if your first experience of the first person perspective comes frim flight sims or fps so down to your age for many of us as back in the day there were no FPSs but there were early flight sims.

• Urthman says:

My first-ever FPS was Descent and inverted flight-sim controls made perfect sense. I played Doom right after that and used a similar control scheme, and I’ve been using inverted-y ever since.

Like ovno, when I play a FPS, the mouse is, in my mind, controlling the protagonist’s head, so I tilt it forward to look down and backward to look up.

• Phasma Felis says:

Mice and joysticks don’t actually have an “up” and a “down”. They have a “forward” and a “backward”. These are 90 degrees away from any angle relevant to a 2D display. If the cursor actually followed your mouse movements, you’d have to lift the mouse off the desk to move the cursor up.

Computer interfaces generally map forward and backward to up and down, and we’re all pretty used to that by now, but it’s completely arbitrary. Airplane control joysticks, which are more than a century old, do the opposite, for common-sense reasons: if you think of the stick as being attached to the nose of the plane, pulling back tilts the nose up, and pushing forward tilts the nose down. The first video games that let you move in 3D space were flight simulators, so they mimicked the airplane controls. Anyone who played flight sims in the 80s got used to that mapping for interacting with 3D games, and when non-sim 3D games came along, the aircraft controls stuck.

• TariqOne says:

I likes my doohickeys oldfangled, Sonny!

Seriously, inverted mouse? Are you also annoyed it doesn’t take quarters?

• bvilleneuve says:

If there’s a better summary of PC gaming than “I refuse to play any game that doesn’t offer inverted mouse look,” I haven’t seen it yet.

12. Iskarott says:

Is anyone getting just terrible FPS drops for no particular reason? I’ve checked my CPU usage and GPU usage, and I’m nowhere near my maximums (I7-2700K at 4.5 GHZ, 16 GB ram, GTX 680 4GB) and yet I’m dropping to 25 FPS or so when I look at candles or any sort of light source inside.

It is bloody frustrating to spend money on a good rig, and run into issues like this because of the game engine.

13. quijote3000 says:

Any opinions?

14. Shiri says:

I feel bad having to say this, but this is one of the worst trailers I have ever seen for a game. It made me laugh out loud with how bad it was. Just everything. “You will just be scared” … “or not”. Quality. How not to do a trailer. Your English is technically fine, guys, but it is not having the impact you seem to think it is. This is one of the things native speakers are good for I guess.

15. OberonDark says:

This game is diabolical. You can’t pause the game during scripted events or while you’re performing actions.

So, let’s just say, if you were to solve a puzzle and this caused diabolical laughter and spiders to crawl all over the room, you’re sometimes forced to sit and watch and cower in terror while helplessly mashing the pause button, which does nothing.

Not that this happens event in the game, it’s just an example. I hope it doesn’t happen. If it does I’ve avoided it thus far.

But everyone’s going to have that “OH SHIT WHY CAN’T I PAUSE” moment when they play this. Also, it’s F1 to access the menu, not escape. And when you quit, it displays your screen first. So you have to stare right into the face of that scary thing while you quit.