Mouthing Off: Deadpool Game Announced

By Adam Smith on July 16th, 2012 at 10:01 am.

Deadpool, shatterer of skulls, gonads and fourth walls, will be the wisecracking star of a game from Transformers developer High Moon. The absurd violence and self-referential nature of Deadpool has made him a “fan favourite”, which often means “popular but not particularly commercially viable”. It’s pleasing to see him enjoying life beyond the page, although I reckon there’s a danger that the game, like the trailer, will be a series of murders, boobs and jokes about murders and boobs that uses irony as a flimsy veil. There’s also no guarantee that it’ll come to PC, with no platforms announced yet.

If the game does receive a PC port, High Moon almost certainly won’t be developing it themselves, with their latest Transformers game being ported by a third party following fan demand.

Pop quiz. Who provides Deadpool’s voice?

A) Boris Johnson

B) Nolan North

C) Ryan Reynolds

D) Nolan North

E) Nolan North

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. pants says:

Um.
    Is this reality?

2. EPICTHEFAIL says:

I want this game. Right now. I don`t care that the trailer barely tells us anything about the game. I don`t care about the turret sequence. I don`t care about the jokes that fall flat. Gimme, gimme.

3. Alexander Norris says:

It looks pretty bloody bland, and like the only thing that might save it is the writing – which doesn’t look likely. What a shame. :(

Boris Johnson voicing Deadpool would make it all worthwhile, though.

• Milky1985 says:

Would be an insult to deadpool really, theres no way he can be insane enough to get to the boris level of insanity.

Also you can see excatly what deadpoolis thinking, no-one knows what boris is thinking, and that includes boris

4. ThatAznGuy says:

Considering Nolan North did it for U/MvC3 and it sounds familiar, that’d be my guess.

5. Gwilym says:

Christ. I don’t know Deadpool, but I know fucking annoying, and that was fucking annoying. Deliberately, knowingly, multifariously fucking annoying. It seems like satire, but not in the way I’m sure it’s desperately intended to be.

Still, they opened with a hip and modern reference to an internet fad from half a decade ago, so at least they’re trying to speak to a rjaoiwrhnaeiw

• Metonymy says:

They got the tone slightly wrong.

Deadpool does in fact talk to the camera a lot, but he doesn’t overuse it. He is extremely adolescent, but in a manic, depraved way, like some lunatic who has suffered so much that he no longer feels any pain.

In other words, there’s always a point or a purpose to the madness, and this trailer doesn’t have that purpose, so it feels very dead.

• westyfield says:

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Hunchback says:

Agreed.
      I am all for ultraviolence and grit, but this sounds so… cheap. It’s even worse than the guy from Devil May Cry o.O .
      Guess it has it’s target audience, but meh.

Wish someone would make a real, serious game starring Rorschach. Something very dark, nasty and gameplay somewhat like the latest Batman games (which IMHO are the best superhero games ever made).

• InternetBatman says:

Deadpool is supposed to be annoying and ultraviolent (he’s a parody of Deathstroke, who himself was a parody of Wolverine), but this was just poorly done. More typical examples are fourth wall jokes and him picking fights with whomever he hasn’t fought before. Look up Deadpool and Kitty Pride on google image search to see a better panel.

maninahat says:

Reminds me of the most recent addition to the Duke Nukem franchise.

I wonder how often he’ll repeat the same lines of dialogue, and how quick the joke’ll wear thin.

7. Tayh says:

Just from looking at the first picture, I could tell it was going to be a console, third-person shooter game.
    Like we haven’t seen enough of those.

• Gnoupi says:

Shooter? I rather see a third person action/beat’ em up having guns only as an option to deal targeted damage.

edit: Although if made by High Moon Studios, it could be a third person shooter indeed, with elements of melee.

8. int says:

A Deadpool game could work flawlessly as a simple Kong clone.

Pool as Jumpman
    Bea Arthur as the Princess
    Kong could be any hero or villain. Maybe T-Ray.

• InternetBatman says:

The princess would be Blind Al in this scenario. Wait, forgot about his Bea Arthur thing.

9. fiddlesticks says:

Nolan North already did play Deadpool in a video game. It was called Alpha Protocol.

Hidden_7 says:

Glad to see I’m not the only one whose mind went there. Hell, pretty early on I decided to play that game as a Deadpool simulator. It’s a lot more enjoyable when your character is SUPPOSED to be a psychotic jerk smart-ass

Screwie says:

If it’s less Duke Nukem for superheroes more Saints Row 3 for superheroes, it could be great.

TheApologist says:

Yep – I thought the same. But SR3 managed to both be completely absurd and be quite clever about how they did it. Replicating the risky level of mania required in a licensed property might be tough. And being clever is always hard, for both me and for large companies.

11. Uthred says:

Looks like it could be fun and the dialogue is reminiscent of the comic, but that voice acting is terrible

12. MeestaNob says:

Cautiously optimistic about this.

13. InternetBatman says:

This looks really, really bad. When they can’t get even one good joke in a two-minute clip, and the character is almost entirely jokes, there’s a big problem.

They couldn’t even steal lines from the comics, they had to make dumb internet jokes and booby jokes.

14. Tom OBedlam says:

Get Rick Remeder to write it. I don’t ask much, just please get Remeder to write it.

• Tom OBedlam says:

“I will kill all your dicks” is a line Deadpool should have said.

15. MiKHEILL says:

Well it looks like it was made in 2004, so here’s hoping the gameplay, characters and story come through.

16. katheb says:

I am not a follower of the Deadpool comics, but even I know that this is not even close.

17. Secundus says:

deadpool would have been 10000000% perfect as a mid 90s build engine shooter like duke3d or blood. this is just lame

18. Krovlar says:

I’m starting to believe that most of the commenters have never read a Deadpool comic. This was, so far, the most faithful representation of him that I have seen yet. Was he annoying? Check. Was he breaking the fourth wall? Check. Was he making pew pew sounds as he shot real bullets? Check. Was he massively perverted? Check.

In fact, the only two things I’m worried about are

1) There are too many people who THINK they want Deadpool when they really just want what they believe Deadpool to be, based on one movie/a cartooon episode.

2) Will they do the STORY right? Will everyone hate Deadpool for his insanity and perverted speech/actions? Will they have large sections of just gameplay to break up the insanity?

Yes, Deadpool usually has a reason for his breaking the 4th wall. In this case, it’s to make the trailer for his new game. That makes perfect sense in Deadpool world.

• InternetBatman says:

It can be faithful and poorly written at the same time.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Deadpool breaks the fourth wall?

Nope.

He smashes through the fourth wall feet first, doing a backflip while surfing on Captain America’s shield, screaming “LUKE, I AM YOUR FATHER”, then commenting on how he should be wearing Captain America’s shield as a hat, as enormous metal hats are “in” for mercenaries this season.

20. mckertis says:

Uh, Deadpool. I just had to read a few issues because they happened to be included in Dark Reign and Utopia events. From now on i will specifically avoid all this Deadpool crap, and advice everyone else to do the same.

Speaking about comics, do people here know how completely and utterly Kieron Gillen ripped off Akira ?

• Tom OBedlam says:

‘Speaking about comics, do people here know how completely and utterly Kieron Gillen paid homage to Akira ?’

There, I fixed it for you.

• QualityJeverage says:

Boy, you’re quite the insufferable one aren’t you?

21. TsunamiWombat says:

Screw you, Wolverine.

22. MaXimillion says:

You are not allowed to have a character slice someone’s head off with two swords without the head actually coming off. Seriously, it’s not THAT much graphics work.

Looks quite bland in general, probably won’t bother with it even though it is Deadpool.

23. ruaidhri.k says:

I cant believe that no one has said what is crying out to be said so here goes ….

NORTHFACE!

24. Jupiah says:

Never read a deadpool comic, but his fans never seem to shut up about how awesome he is. If this is accurate, and he really is mentally a psychotic 13-year old boy, then I really would like to know why he’s so popular. He sounds like a loser trying way too hard to be cool.

• InternetBatman says:

In most of the comics he shown as being an absolutely immature annoying loser. I like the jokes though, and he’s refreshingly open about his love of bloodshed. The comics are fun because he’s the ultimate fool and the joke is normally on him.

Hidden_7 says:

When Deadpool works best he’s acting as a sort of satire/parody of the ultra-hardcore badass mercenary type he looks like at first glance. He’s a manic deconstruction of that type of character, and the sort of situations he finds himself in. He’s psychotic, detached, way too in love with his own wit, and in it mostly to have a good time. He breaks the forth wall, mostly so he can comment on the situation as a whole, within the context of the genre that’s being parodied (also sometimes for cheap gags).

At his best Deadpool is a fun comic, replete with manic energy and doesn’t take itself too seriously, in a medium that often can. Basically he’s the Borderlands, or Bulletstorm of comics.

The problem with that is that it is very easy to screw that up, for people to not fully “get” Deadpool when writing him (or to not be able to get that across), and just have him come off as annoying and crass in a very simplistic way. Also, even when he works, there are some people for whom “smart-dumb” doesn’t work, just reads as straight dumb. Which is fair.

Deadpool isn’t for everyone, but when he works he works very well and that character type is a bit of a rarity in the medium (most mediums really) that it’s little wonder his fans latch on to him the way they do.

25. Ansem_Toborra says:

I don’t really understand the distaste for this preview so far. I mean, yeah, it’s quite crass, and very lowbrow….It’s violent, it’s not elegant, and it’s loud……but isn’t that the essence of Deadpool? Definitely not going to be groundbreaking or compelling like “To the Moon”, but by the same token I don’t think that’s what they’re going for. Definitely its success is highly dependent on the success of the humor….I don’t know…. it’ll be interesting to watch its progression, to say the least.