Sight For X’or Eyes: Legends Of Pegasus

By Adam Smith on July 17th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

When a trailer begins with the line, “War has been part of mankind for ages”, you know it’s going to teach you important lessons about mankind’s parts. Legends of Pegasus, the Galactica-like 4X game from Novacore, has just such a trailer. It’s quite an old trailer, showing the game’s smelly, warlike humans, but there’s a new one today showing the X’or, who are an aromatic and peaceful machine race. Both are below. In all honesty, I’ve never smelled a X’or but surely they can’t be any more malodorous than the orifice-strewn bags of guts that house all the brilliance and beauty of human intellect. The game’s campaign will see the player exploring human, X’or and an as yet unannounced third culture and Alec’s preview makes it sound like it could be quite special.

Be warned, the voiceovers are so grave you might feel as if you’ve been entombed by them.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. AmateurScience says:

Looks like they’re not Boolean around with the X’or.

2. DigitalSignalX says:

No one still wants to make Homeworld 3?

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Everybody should go and make Homeworld 3 with Unity right now.

• wcanyon says:

Oh man I miss me some Homeworld. Those devs are up to something sandboxy these days aren’t they?

• omicron1 says:

I’ll get right on that, then.

No, really. If Relic won’t make this game, I will make it for them.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Hero! You’re ahead of me then. I just knocked out some basic ship shapes and simple turret components in Sketchup this evening as stand-ins for proper ship models.

• Wololo says:

Someone from Relic staff said they really want to make HW3 and that’s about it. I really really really hope they do work on it, though. Maybe it’ll be a sudden announcement, like CoH2.

3. Faldrath says:

Very interesting, there can never be enough space 4X games (and that ship design screen looked pretty daunting). Speaking of that, here’s the mandatory “where’s the Endless Space WIT?” comment!

4. MythArcana says:

I want an Alpha Centauri meets meets Dominions 3. Me thinks this is more Steam fodder with the usual bottlecap depth. It will sell generally well, just not from anyone I game with normally.

• timmyvos says:

Distant Worlds could be up your alley, I think it’s published by the same guys as Dominions and its really deep and unique. It’s a real time space sim with a huge, randomly generated galaxy, and a lot of different species. You can choose micromanage your entire empire, build and design your own ships with hundreds of different components , build mining stations and resorts for the private sector. One thing I don’t like is that there’s not a lot of personality in the different races. They have different portraits but a lot of species share the same diplomatic dialogue and they don’t really have a unique AI. It is, however, rather expensive at about $80 with the practically required expansions.

• wcanyon says:

that vs Endless Space… ES wins. Plus, ouch that pricetag.

• MythArcana says:

I frequently play Dominions 3 and Distant Worlds Legends which are both superb games in their own right, but it would seem my tastes are rather expensive. I guess the moral of the story is that you get what you pay for in most cases.

I honestly don’t mind paying a king’s ransom up front if the package will exclude DLC, marketing gimmicks, flash in the pan tactics, and forceful distribution on platforms not wanted. Most developers that push these high-end games will included free extras in their patches over time anyway…so it all works out and it keeps the riffraff out nicely.

• cptgone says:

every now and then i come here, read about Dominions and Distant Worlds, get all excited, see the price tag and… realise i’m just some “riffraff” that needs to be kept “out nicely”.

• wodin says:

DOm 3 for any turn based fantasy fan is a must buy. I use the great Warhammer mods aswell.

5. Herbert_West says:

I got an Ascendancy vibe from that planet screen, so its a preorder.

• GenFailure says:

Finally, someone noticed it. I really didn’t remember the name but it was definitely Ascendency. And yes, the planetary view is from Ascendency, no point denying it.

6. mckertis says:

Let me guess, an EXTENSIVE ship constructor, and, once again, completely decorative ?

7. wcanyon says:

Wow does that ship editor look clicky/draggy. So much click and drag. They need to work on that, I’d get a RSI playing this game otherwise.

• Dreforian says:

I’ve really only seen 3 building methods that aren’t sandbox games themselves. There’s obviously the click and drag based building. The list based method, which also uses attachment points but only lets you scroll through a list of relevant parts. And the more free-form “gummi ship” method (from Kingdom Hearts 2) where you just shift parts around in 2d/3d grid.
      I’m just curious what your ideal ship editor / level of ship building would entail?

• MaXimillion says:

Master of Orion 2 had the right idea, IMO. Just give a space limit and allow free choosing of parts.

Of course, having that kind of design work becomes a lot harder if you decide to go for 3D ship models instead of static sprites.

8. Jimbo says:

Is that Mors?

• Skhalt says:

Mors Westford, going to space to chop your mutinous crew’s heads off!

9. phelix says:

“Sight for X’or Eyes”
    No offense Adam, but that pun is just godawful.

10. Dreforian says:

I saw this on…Steam I think? Went in my wishlist. It snagged my interest as a 4x game with an actual single-player story campaign so I’m hoping I can use it to hook me into the genre. Also it looks like a more in-depth Hegemonia, converted from RTS to turn-based. I have to wonder how the planet/ship building works in a multiplayer game though. Personally I could spend hours just configuring ships which could turn ugly when someone is waiting for me to finish my turn.

11. sinister agent says:

Mr. Smith! I am not particularly interested in this game, but I thought it might please you to know that it’s already possible to identify you as the author of a post on here from its opening sentence. In very much a good way. That didn’t take long at all.

12. wodin says:

Liked the look of the ship designer…One day someone will make an Aurora game with top notch 3D graphics…that would be the ultimate. Even with it’s more spreadsheet style I spent many many hours on hours designing ships…showing them off to the forum, only to be told a whole list of design faults! Still just doing that was great fun.

I recommend Aurora to any hardcore sci fi nut. Free aswell. However if your a graphics person, then it wont be for you.