PlanetSide 2 Has A Pointless CGI Trailer

By John Walker on July 18th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Actually a thing.

PlanetSide 2 has a CGI trailer. And of course it’s as pointless as all other CGI trailers. But I post it more to say, look, Sony are spending enough money on this game for there to be pointless CGI trailers. And weirdly, as much of a waste of that money as it was, and as galling as it must be for the developers to ponder what they could have done with the cash, it makes me realise that this is a game the flailing PS3 owner is taking seriously. If you see what I mean.

Sure, that told you nothing about the game whatsoever. And yes, it ends on a tease for another advert that’s coming in a week. So it’s an advert for an advert. Yes, that’s stupid. But PlanetSide 2 is actually really happening! Although there’s still no release date. So maybe this is all just a big trick.

But the beta’s coming up, which somewhat suggests otherwise. To find out everything you need to know about that, check out Nathan’s post from the other day.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Stochastic says:

What’s Mr. Soldierman’s landing plan at 0:20? Does PS2 have parachutes or jetpacks?

EDIT: Ok, stupid question. At 0:10 it quite clearly shows jetpacks. Still, his falling position doesn’t seem very wise if he’s about to turn the thrusters on…

• OutlawDr says:

there are different types of jet packs for the light assault class. One is called the glider which acts like a parachute.

2. Phantoon says:

Junk like this makes me less excited about a game. They need to follow what Valve does.

• beetle says:

you mean make funny cgi trailers for games that have already been released?

• King Trode of Trodain says:

I just think it’s too much traditional gray n’ brown, since the faction colours is such an iconic part of planetside, (plus, you know, the future: where everything ALWAYS is shiny and brightly coloured), but otherwise it’s pretty decent. At least it shows some soldier dudes fighting some slightly less proffesional soldier dudes fighting some space dudes, so that’s something.

On a side note, I’m new to the rps forums, how on nirn am I supposed to change my password, let alone log out since i do not see any logout or account settings button anywhere!?

EDIT: Of course it’s spelled professional, not proffesional, i just… …ehm… …(runs away, overcome with guilt before the grammar gods)

• w1n5t0n says:

I personally don’t have much of a problem with CGI trailers as long as most trailers at least show *some* gameplay, but I feel this way about live-action trailers for games, which in my opinion are one of the dumbest ideas a publisher has ever had.

• Derppy says:

I think this is a terrible trailer and there’s so much lost potential.

Show a fast fly-through of the massive in-game area. “Massive world.”
      Show an intense firefight at night “Hundreds of simultaneous players”.
      Quickly scroll through all the vehicles, once faction after another “3 Unique factions”
      Show glimpses of the numerous customization options “Tons of customization”
      End with a shot of 100 players in a line, in vehicles and as infantry. “Size matters”

I’d jizz my pants.

This sort of crap seems like it’s aimed for the audience that would go “Oh cool, some game with scifi stuff!” While it’s an actual audience that might buy the game, wouldn’t it be smart to appeal to the whole FPS gamer community and show something unique that’s not available in other games.

• jerkbot says:

Of course, the article never mentions that the ‘tease for another advert that’s coming in a week’ is actually the whole thing. This is a cut-down ad version, not the complete trailer and we could very well see some more scale in the finished product.

3. pyjamarama says:

I think at this point the argument forward or against CGI trailers should be in a broader discussion, How much money do publishers spend on marketing compared to what they spend on the game itself? If the game marketing is bigger or even close to the game spending I think that is the wrong approach. Then you can argue if the CGI trailer is a wise marketing strategy or if they are better off with other tactics.

• Stochastic says:

Since this game is going to be F2P and reliant on having highly populated servers, it’s to their benefit to have as many players as possible find out about the game. I’m sure the marketing pays off in the long run, which will generate more revenue for them and (hopefully) allow them to keep developing the game post-release.

I don’t know how much CGI trailers like this cost to produce, but making one or two of them to draw attention can’t hurt too much. They are also using less traditional methods of marketing which are probably more cost effective (handing out beta keys on Twitter, developer chats on Youtube, live video on Twitch.tv, giving Totalbiscuit early access to the game, events like the team haircut from last week, etc.).

• x1501 says:

This makes me curious about the number of people who will actually become interested in the game because of this vague and unrepresentative CGI promo, but I have a feeling that I don’t really want to hear the answer.

• pyjamarama says:

I guess that is the core focus of marketing, how many people now pay attention to something they never heard of because of X. The problem is that no one knows for sure.

• Garmr says:

We need this sort advertisement to provide more cannon fodder. Though this sort of stunt probably requires to many dollars that could otherwise be used to recruit more development monkeys, to be whipped encouragingly so that the game could be finished quicker. All because I NEED my preecious!

4. rockman29 says:

But it was awesome!

I liked it.

O well. PLANETSIDERSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Eat lead you Smurfs! Taste steel you Barneys!

5. Garmr says:

Sidefaceplanet

6. Vorphalack says:

”War will not determine who is right…………only who is left”

They didn’t just go there did they? : |

7. BlackestTea says:

May I just take this opportunity to point out how shameful and sad it is that there has not been a Shotcast in the longest of times. I understand that there was Rezzed and everything, but my ears are thirsting for the sound of lovely Englishmen debating videogames (or not)
    - and yes, I did just finish listening to the entire archive of the electronic wireless show!!

8. The Godzilla Hunter says:

I for one enjoy CGI videos. Sure they tell you nothing about the game, but they are so darned pretty. If millions of dollars are going to be put into marketing, I can think of worse ways for it to be spent *cough*live-action*cough*.

9. Crimsoneer says:

It’s a trailer for a trailer! Still, it’s awesome.

10. Desmolas says:

This trailer shows base jumping and hanging on for dear life to VTOL’s while firing a gun. Does Planetside 2 have these Just Cause 2 mechanics or am i just wet-dreaming.

• Salt says:

You can totally jump off tall buildings, and if you have a jetpack you’ll not hilariously crumple when you hit the ground. But generally it follows the rule of all players being physically modelled as refrigerators with guns, so no Assassin’s Creed style climbing on enemy aircraft.

The saturation in the game is turned up higher than the trailer though, so that’s good news for fans of colour!

11. Thirith says:

John, I’m a big fan of this site and of your writing (in most cases) – but (if you’ll allow me) one of the RPS things that really pisses me off is how, when you (singular and plural) have something that gets up your nose you keep bringing it up again and again and again, usually in snide comments. (E.g. live-action and CGI trailers, or the metanarrative in the Assassin’s Creed series.) Sometimes I share your dislike, sometimes I don’t – but the way these things are brought up, after the nth repetition, comes across to me as somewhat childish, petty – and most of all as boring, unfunny writing, so even when I agree with you in principle, my main thought is, “Yeah, yeah, yeah… Get over it.” I think there’s absolutely a place for a discussion about these things (silly thing to say on your site, I know…), but the snide tone you tend to go for gets really old.

• Stochastic says:

This is actually part of the reason why I like RPS. The blog style allows them to say stuff like this. John absolutely can grumble about unrepresentative CGI trailers so long as developers keep making them.

Besides, what else could he say in this post? The trailer itself has virtually no useful information, and the footage is all very bog standard military sci-fi stuff we’ve seen before.

I will say that I think RPS posts too many trailers in general (that’s what Twitter feeds should be for), but I think they still do a great job overall. Keep it up RPS!

• dE says:

I don’t do Twitter. Or Farcebook for that matter.
        So if things gets posted here, I don’t mind and if it don’t interest me, I be skipping it.

• Stochastic says:

I kind of wish RPS had a sidebar where they would post some of these bitesized posts and leave the main feed for their meatier writings. That’s one solution I can think of that doesn’t require social media.

• caddyB says:

They still need some traffic to feed their families, so they’d have to dig up more “news”. I’m just happy that they know these kind of things are not actual news, and I love their writing so it’s ok in the end.

Oh and I don’t mind it because rps is the only gaming news website I follow anyway.

• CptPlanet says:

I kinda agree with Thirith on this one. Plus, what trailer is not pointless in the grand scheme of things? In the end they all intend to make the viewer curious about the game. It just seems a bit too much to complain (or even joke) about such trivial things.

12. Chris D says:

I’m Ok with RPS doing trailer news but I’m slightly disappointed they’ve chosen to cover this instead of what is clearly the most important trailer of the day, and possibly of our time.

13. Biscuitry says:

The beta is not just coming up, as of this week it has already started. There are people not otherwise involved with Sony playing the game right now. I only wish I were among them, but that’ll come.

• Stranglove says:

No, the CBT has not started. What’s going on now is a technical test, which (according to dev staff at least) isn’t a cbt.

• Biscuitry says:

My mistake, then. I was under the impression that the technical test counted as the first, smallest phase of the beta.

14. AcidCrashX says:

the point of the CGI trailer was to make you post a story about Planetside 2. job done.

15. aircool says:

Trailer contains gameplay style elements. 87% of 62 Dentists Agreed.

16. alilsneaky says:

If they have budget to waste on cgi trailers then I hope they’ll bother to properly QA test it before releasing it and opening their cash shop.

Comment on this story