Killing’s In The Name Of: Battlefield 3 Armored Kill

By Nathan Grayson on July 19th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

This time, even the environment itself is an enemy. So shoot it a bunch.

I have, I must admit, spent a worrisome number of hours pondering the exact nature of the phrase “Armored Kill.” Is it a kill you score while wearing armor – perhaps in the fashion of a medieval knight who’d rather die than admit that, yeah, that’s a tank? Or is the kill itself – the very act of forcibly removing another man from his mortal coil – clad in some form of armor? Am I, say, throwing pieces of armor at my unsuspecting foes, sort of like a weaponized Super Ghosts ‘n’ Ghouls? Or maybe I’m simply killing armor that’s, like, been possessed by a ghost or something. Maybe it turns out there was no ghost at all, but that it was in fact Old Man Jenkins clearly running out of ideas. Fortunately, EA’s sent along a new trailer of Battlefield 3: Armored Kill in which all questions are answered. (Hint: there are tanks. So I was sort of basically entirely correct. Yep.)

Among other things, this vehicle-focused map pack is said to feature the “biggest Battlefield map ever.” It’s called Bandar Desert, and here, according to DICE, is why it wins that distinction:

“In Conquest Large, Bandar Desert is stretching as far as 1,900 meters from U.S. to Russian deployment, not counting the airstrip at the very end of the ground forces combat area. This is even longer than Fushe Pass from Battlefield 2. Bandar Desert is about as wide as it is long at the middle flags – it measures 1,900 meters from the mountain base furthest from the sea all the way to the beach at the south edge of the map.”

That is quite large – though I have to imagine users have, at some point, whipped up an even bigger playground for tanks, jets, and bears (oh my). Maybe it even had actual bears. Beyond that, you’re looking at five new vehicles, 20 vehicle-specific unlocks, and a new vehicle-centric mode called Tank Superiority. That’s all headed your way in September, provided we don’t get another announcement from EA saying, “Oh yeah, oops, we actually launched Battlefield 4 three days ago and forgot to tell anyone about it. Our bad.”

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Shooop says:

“…I have to imagine users have, at some point, whipped up an even bigger playground…”

You bet they have. But those days are long behind us unless you play ARMA 2.

2. db1331 says:

Finally, a snow map. I likes my snow maps.

• GamerOS says:

Yeah, after being stuck in the dessert for the most of the game and it’s current two expansions a snow map will be like a breath of fresh air.

• NAZIUFOCOMMANDER says:

Why don’t game designers ever make late fall or early spring maps? Mid-January thaw? The only game I can think of off the top of my head that does this is Age of Empires 2. Why can’t our ground be partially covered in snow? Huh? Huh?

3. The Army of None says:

Now I have Rage against the Machine stuck in my head. Thanks, Mr. Grayson.

MajorManiac says:

Tanks allot.

5. Bungle says:

They keep finding new and innovative ways to make FPS games even more expensive!

6. Dowr says:

It felt jarring for them to advertise Battlefield 4 in a video which is, itself, promoting paid content for BF3.

It would be like if Ubisoft created a trailer for Assassin’s Creed 3 and then put a title at the end of the video stating that Assassin’s Creed 4 (or whatever the next AC will be) is coming out sometime in the future.

Oh, the world of Marketing…

7. Misnomer says:

Right after the happy post we get two paragraphs of rambling about the word armor including this golden passage “Or maybe I’m simply kill armor that’s, like, been possessed by a ghost or something.”

Not even sure if that is English.

Then it gets summed up with the joke about BF4 being released 3 days ago somehow preventing this DLC from being launched. All because a beta being released 18 months from now after all DLC promised to current purchasers of Premium has been completed and released is totally the same thing.

The misinformation campaign from RPS continues.

• mondomau says:

You really need to get out more.

• TsunamiWombat says:

No, he’s right. I’ve had it up to here with RPS’s clear diabolical desire to defame Battlefield 3. There can only be one explaination.

They secretly want the terrorists/russians/north koreans/space martians to win at a game for once, thereby boosting their self esteem. I theorize that the staff of RPS are in fact, Elite Beat Agents, shaking their hips to pop hits from the 80’s to improve the morale of videogame villains so they have the willpower to keep trying even though they lose constantly.

Wreck-It-Ralph is about this phenomenon, and is an origin story for their mission.

FOLLOW THE MONEY PEOPLE, THE GOVERNMENT DOESN’T WANT YOU TO KNOW

beekay says:

“The misinformation campaign”? Are you suggesting this was a genuine effort to convince readers that BF3 is about killing haunted suits of armour?

• SanguineAngel says:

Wait, are you saying that ISN’T the point of this article?

• Tams80 says:

Oh please! Recent Battlefield games have been all about marine biologists! It’s all a plot to make us accept GM crops I tell you!

8. Some Guy says:

I really wish this would go on sale with all the dlc packs so I could play the darn thing while also being a cheap person.
    Also if somebody modded in some angry demons this would remind me quite a bit of The Salvation War.

9. Euphoric says:

This looks like it’s going to be great fun!

But, ohhhh the whining and crying about the BF4 leak. It was probably leaked by some idiot by accident – and now because of it they had to scramble and announce it rather than deny that it existed. OH THE SHAME. Hell, the people complaining about it are also the people that complained and don’t play BF3. If it sucks so much and you hate it, don’t buy it or play it. If BF4 is too early for you…guess what – don’t fracking buy it. I honestly don’t see that it’s that big of a deal FFS. The gaming population is being overrun by cry babies and complainers – it’s rather depressing. You guys should be as upset and vocal about all the other real bullshit that goes on in this world.

• Lord_Mordja says:

Dear Mr Euphoric,
      Stop being angry and boring. Nobody in this thread has complained about this DLC. The article itself was clearly written with a lighthearted tone in mind. Calm down.
      Regards,
      The world

• Euphoric says:

*yawn*
        I’m sorry – who is boring?

• TsunamiWombat says:

BOOM! Oh man, sick burn. It’s like he took distilled 8 year old snaps and rubbed them into your face. Na na na na boo boo, he’s rubber your glue. I am impressed by the maturity and insightful nature of this clearly witty comeback.

• The Infamous Woodchuck says:

FEEL THE RAGE!

• Shooop says:

WHARRGARBL!

10. Fullforce says:

That huge desert map just gave me massive vibes of Desert Combat from BF1942. The combined arms of planes, A130, tanks, choppers, and infantry scuttling around… sign me up. Finally a DLC to get me back into BF3.

11. EOT says:

Didn’t DICE spell ‘armour’ correctly once upon a time?

• Valkyr says:

I think “armor” is the correct American English spelling

• Tams80 says:

That still doesn’t make it the correct way to spell it in the UK.

12. piercehead says:

Just played that vid with Killing in the Name Of by RATM in the background – went surprisingly well together :)

I’m finding it hard waiting for the the next couple of map packs as I’ve had hands on with both of them, and they are …actually pretty awesome. And no, DICE have always spelt “Armour” the American way (e.g. Armored Fury), despite being European :(

Edit: can’t we make Nathan spell it our way too?! Can we, can we…?

13. The Infamous Woodchuck says:

now, if only actual BF3 matches is as cinematic as those in the trailers.

14. JToTheDog says:

So what? Are we not allowed to complain about DLCs now? I will complain all I want! Especially since my decision to buy BF3 was made when they said it would be moddable… Fat chance of that ever happening.

15. SanguineAngel says:

Oh man, I’m such a broken record but… do you remember when they said they were not going to split the player base by making pay-for maps?

Awesome.

Anyway, I’m not sure if I fancy the pack all that much. BF3 works best for me when it’s a fine balance between foot and vehicular action.

• BwenGun says:

Yeah I remember, Dice were real douche-bags back when they released BF2: Special Forces and then Euro Force.

• SanguineAngel says:

Well, I did mean when they said they weren’t going to split the BF3 player base. That they actively lied is what I am getting at.

• JToTheDog says:

Exactly my point. That’s why I think it’s valid to complain over the DLCs.

• Shooop says:

Did they say that? I only remember the time they said they didn’t like charging people for new maps in the days of Bad Company 2.

16. RogB says:

Wow, that looks like the BF3 I was hoping for in the first place (ie a new Desert Combat) – before they started trying to be COD.

More vehicle focused mayhem please!

17. SuperNashwanPower says:

Yahtzee put it best:

BEHOLD MY SPUNKING DEATH-COCK

18. Tams80 says:

It looks good. I just hope the other three maps aren’t that much smaller than the biggest map.

I do wonder how the console versions will manage to sufficiently populate these larger maps.

19. Belsameth says:

1900 meters?
    So you don’t actually have to drive a tank but can just shoot from where you get in?