Hart Reset: Flying Wild Hog’s Free PDF Artbook

By Alec Meer on July 20th, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

Every videogame would be one level shorter if train stations had never been invented. FACT

I’d be lying if I said the art of Hard Reset was the most striking thing about it – I’d be more inclined to go with ‘shooting lots and lots of robots with nice lighting effects.’ Nonetheless, it’s jolly nice of devs Flying Wild Hog to offer up a free, 137MB PDF artbook, whose 46 heavily-illustrated pages contain concept art, environments, characters and all sorts. There’s some dramatic stuff there, suggesting a distinctive world made of bits of City 17, Blade Runner and Rapture. Assorted download links below, and if you haven’t played the game yet (it evoked mixed but just about positive feelings around these parts, though I’m not sure we’ve tried the extended edition/ Exile DLC yet) it’s currently 75% offski for the complete package on Steam. In other news, Windows 8′s built-in PDF reader is just the worst thing, so definitely don’t open the artbook in that.

Grab the artbook from here, here, here or via EVIL INSIDIOUS INDUSTRY-DESTROYING really helpful torrent here.

And here’s the Exile DLC aka Extended Edition trailer again, just cos:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. ZIGS says:

I’m curious to see what these guys will make next and if they’ll remain PC-exclusive

2. gorgonaut says:

I have not tried this game yet, nor am I sure I ever will. That said, being a huge concept art nerd, I’m really glad devs still do this sort of thing.
    Even if I’m not necessarily interested in the game, it’s fascinating to look at how the artists imagined the world, the characters, and the monsters. It’s quite rad.
    Thanks, Airborne Porcine People!

• -Otto says:

Absolutely agreed, I’m an insane game illustration collector, and downloadable goodies like these are always the best extra content to have, especially if it’s a mixture of City 17, Blade Runner and Rapture. Don’t stop publishing concept art!

• gorgonaut says:

Thanks to that Steam sale, I finally went ahead and bought Thief: Dark Shadows. Now, I may have to get this too. (Oh, no!)

Does anyone remember the concept art for GTA2?
        I remember it was slightly futuristic, and quite cool.
        Used to have tons of concept art for GTA2 saved on my ancient rig back in the day, dreaming of a truly 3D GTA game…set in the future. (Well, I still do)
        Nowadays, it seems all but impossible to find more than the same 4 or 5 images. A shame.
        (Also, I’ll never give up hope for a new, futuristic GTA; although we may have to wait until we’re actually in the future for it to happen, if that makes any sense:)

3. zeroskill says:

Flying Wild Hog are just awesome.

4. Iskariot says:

Steam is killing me with all those deals. I must resist… I must re…

I just bought Hard Reset….

5. alundra says:

Hard Reset, the game that keeps on giving, for free. I wonder from which parallel universe these people come from?? In ours a company has to charge you for your farts to try and stay afloat, or so some say.

6. Mistabashi says:

I bought Hard Reset in tha sale, and the environments were something that instantly struck a chord. Sure, you could say it’s somewhat generic, being largely influenced by Blade Runner, but there’s so much care and attention to detail that it actually makes me a bit sad that it’s a straight-forward shooter and not some sort of sprawling Deus Ex RPG type thing. Still, I’ve been enjoying it, I’m just not sure if I’ll actually finish it.

• Eclipse says:

I never asked for a Deus Ex style RPG in it, but I was expecting less linear levels as well, just like the good old Doom\Quake\Duke 3D levels, with a lot of secrets scattered around and levels that are more like a maze and less like a loing pathway. it’s still a good shooter, but could have been way, way better with some extra care in the level design, even more because the actual 3d assets are awesome and the graphics engine kicks ass too

• LionsPhil says:

I just wish it was faster. I want to rocket-jump around those levels, but then I might break free of the One Linear Path that tells their crap, crap plot.

And that you could save when you wanted.

And they hadn’t broken everyone’s savegames when they released the expansion and Steam forced it over the original. They did at least put out a “here’s a late-game unspecialised save to use“, but patches with no save compatability are a retro throwback I don’t want to revisit.

And answering to someone who wanted an earlier save point with this:

We don’t need to fix anything. Hard Reset is complete with Exile. You guys said previously ‘wanna more game’ so give us some respect and play the ‘wanna more game’. It’s a complete story.

is not a good way to handle cocking up your save mechanism.

• povu says:

For a game that claims to have so many secrets in each level there’s a surprisingly large number of invisible walls around.

7. felisc says:

I started this game a few monthes back, stopped, picked it up again… well i enjoy it.
    Strong problem : ennemies are not very fun to fight. The basic ennemies take an insane amount of hit from the machine gun and have this annoying evasive jump… But after a few upgrades, there are some very satisfying combos to throw at them. Explosions feel great, graphics and art are top, sound design is really nice. I sure recommend it.

8. InternetBatman says:

Hard reset is so damn pretty. A pretty game with mediocre gameplay that pushes hardware does feel a bit like a blast from the past.

9. Inigo says:

It’s a shame that after all this work they couldn’t agree on what the main character should look like.

• Xocrates says:

Not that it mattered much, but yeah, it’s a bit weird that the game contains at least 3 different looks for the main character.

10. SuperNashwanPower says:

Re: Alt-text: And where would they have staged Metro 2033 if railway stations had never been invented? BUS ROUTE 2033 may not have been quite as … atmospheric. Though I did once find an AK-47 and some military grade ammo on the number 415. True story.

11. Hardmood says:

damn cool, thx alot to the company to give away a free artbook-pdf. and thx to rpsh for the news and the dl links! always been a fan of the artists works and tbh, never understood y gaming industries were hiding concept arts after release or almost never made them available for fans of character-design or anything else releated to the artwork process

12. Red_Avatar says:

Am I the only one that looks at that art and thinks “oh if only they had made an RPG or adventure game out of that!”

13. Ernesto says:

I’m looking forward to finally play this game. And the trailer makes me wish I could play games in some kind of trance…

14. Navagon says:

Some fantastic stuff. Thanks for posting it. It’s one of the best concept artbooks I’ve seen and I’ve seen a few. It leaves me wanting to see more of the Hard Reset world. Maybe like Red Avatar says, they could try something a bit deeper next time. But at least we have Prey 2 and Cyberpunk that should deliver on that count.

Comment on this story