Starbound Receives Support From Wanderlust: Rebirth

By Adam Smith on July 20th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Starbound looks less like Terraria in space and more like just a heck of a lot of awesome stuff in space, with the randomly generated aliens a particular highlight of the features shown so far. Perhaps you would like to throw money at the developers, as is so often the case with internet people, although rarely if ever the action of a person in the real world. Well, you can’t. There’s no Kickstarter or alpha funding here. However, Yeti Trunk, creators of mad co-op RPG Wanderlust: Rebirth are supporting Starbound by offering a percentage of Steam earnings to help with development costs. Chucklefish are bringing Wanderlust to Steam on July 27th.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Eclipse says:

wait wait wait wait…..

guys from Wanderlust: Rebirth, a small game not even very known (and not very good), are supporting the developers of Terraria, that are like, super rich and millionaires by now? Shouldn’t be the other way around?

Sounds more like a plan to give Wanderlust some coverage than anything else, seems like a good plan anyway.

EDIT: ok now I understand the thing. Chucklefish (Terraria devs) is publishing this game, so they get a percentage on the sales. The helping thing threw me completely off. It was a bit like Magicka developers helping Paradox to develop another Crusader Kings

2. pakoito says:

I’ll say the same I always say about Wanderlust. Awesome premise, greatly coded, ingenious design, couldn’t play it for more that half an hour and I don’t know why :(

• Malk_Content says:

You’ll say that about an unreleased game that nobody but the devs and a small testing team have played?

• Dominic White says:

You’re thinking of Starbound. Wanderlust has been out for ages.

• pakoito says:

EPIC PHAIL. Wanderlust has been out for more than a year, despite not having the press it deserved :(

• Malk_Content says:

Derp sorry misread the comment entirely. Added extra words in my head so that the start read as “I’ll say the same about this as I always say about Wanderlust.

So apologies are in order. Sorry.

3. MythArcana says:

Terraria was great, but the marketing was your typical Steam roundup that alienates everyone else. Hopefully, these guys will distribute either directly or on other platforms. I can’t support a developer that isn’t sensitive to this matter.

• qrter says:

Seeing how ridiculously well Terraria has sold on Steam, I don’t think they see a real problem here.

• Didero says:

I’m sure you’ve had to explain it a lot, and I don’t know if this is the right place to ask, but what is wrong with Steam?
      I’m not attacking you, I’m just curious.

• HothMonster says:

You can buy a physical disc if you prefer and even the steam copy launches straight from the .exe so no DRM.

• MaXimillion says:

Actually if you try to launch the .exe it tells you to launch the game through the Steam client. You need to crack it if you want to play it without Steam.

Not that being Steam-exclusive did the game any harm, seeing how it’s still in the Top 10 most played games on there.

• aurens says:

what is a “typical Steam roundup”? i literally don’t know what that means.

4. tlarn says:

I’m really liking how Starbound’s shaping up, especially the monster-randomization that they have going for them. The Terraria parallels are inevitable, but as I followed the development of this game, I was one of those people who used the Terraria comparisons less and less. It’s really starting to feel like its own thing and not just a spiritual successor.

5. hemmingjay says:

If they opened up pre-orders I am sure they would not need funding from anyone else.

6. MikoSquiz says:

The one thing I really want from this game is the ability to step over obstacles that are one block high. It’s a pain in the ass having to hoppity-hoppity-hoppity-hop up gently undulating hills, especially in the middle of combat.

7. Lemming says:

I disliked Terraria and gave up on it after 45 minutes of trying to learn the interface while being constantly assaulted by blobs. It expects you to have muscle memory of the interface and inventory right from the off, which is ludicrous.

This however, looks interesting. At least I should be able to sit in (a part?) of the space station without getting killed over and over while trying to learn the inventory system, and I love the concept behind it.

• Lolmasaurus says:

Geez man, dig yourself a hole if the mobs annoy you.

• MasterDex says:

You didn’t get to grips with the interface within 45 minutes? C’mon! It’s not like it’s Arma or Steel Battalion!

You must be very impatient. Either way, I’d recommend trying it again, the game has a lot of fun to offer. Perhaps the next time you try it, if you ever do decide to give it a second chance, you should play with friends, it definitely makes the game more fun.

8. malkav11 says:

Is it bad that I was like “Wanderlust: Rebirth, wtf is that?” and then realized I owned it through one of Gamersgate’s indie bundles?

• Servizio says:

I won’t comment on whether it’s bad or not, but you’re certainly not alone in having experienced the “Oh that looks interesting, how much–Already own it? What? Since when?” scenario.

Comment on this story