To Serve And Project: Ether

By Adam Smith on July 20th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Ether is an indie adventure game set in an alternate history where “mental disease and illness can be cured by individuals who possess the unique gift of ethereal projection”. Sounding a little like a first-person To The Moon, the game plants the player character in the mind of a client, traps him, and asks him to explore, solve puzzles and delve into memories. The trailer has made me as curious as a doomed cat, with a stylish aesthetic and a bit of Inception BWAAAAARing, which is yesterday’s dubstep. It’s also the only game I can think of that proudly lists “cornish culture” as an inspiration, which I can only assume means it’s based on the works of Aphex Twin.

Those are just trailer BWAAAAAARS apparently, with a wholly different audio style in the works for the actual game. Also worth mentioning is that the framerate issues are apparently an issue with the uploaded video rather than a feature of the fractured mind you’ll be exploring. Despite the QR-Code at the end, it’s not necessary to own a smartphone to access any content, although scanning them will be an optional method of revealing narrative.

After the disappointment of Anna (full WIT soon), I’m keen to have my faith in first-person adventuring restored and what better game to do it than one starring a person known as a ‘restorer’? The story of healing and memory could be intriguing but more than anything I’m just pleased to see another game harnessing the weird beauty of these British isles.

, , , .

1. dogsolitude_uk says:

The nearest thing I think we’d get to a game based on the works of the Aphex Twin would be sticking ‘Didgeridoo’ into Audiosurf…

Although I’d like to float around Selected Ambient Works Vol II for a while. That would be nice. Apart from the creepy tracks.

• Kyrickell says:

You could make it so that every character has that same creepy face in Aphex Twin’s music videos (thinking of ‘Come to Daddy’ and ‘Window Licker’).
      That would be a scary game..

Fede says:

Nice moon.

3. Didero says:

The first thing that came to mind after reading that sentence was Psychonauts.

Although this game looks far less light-hearted.

4. S Jay says:

Only a live action trailer could be more unhelpful to judge this game.

5. Zeewolf says:

Looks pretty cool.

Sorry to hear that Anna is disappointing. I’ve been holding off buying it, and looking for user feedback and reviews, but not found much so far.

• Eclipse says:

disappointing for him doesn’t mean it will be surely disappointing for you or that the game is “disappointing” in some sort of objective way, the WIT will be very welcome anyway

• Carter says:

I bought it as soon as it was released and sadly I found it a huge disappointment, its very short at most an hour maybe two although its likely you will be stuck on the ‘puzzles’ and the horrendous pixel perfect interface than simply enjoying the game

6. tlarn says:

In case anyone’s curious, the QR code in the end is the following URL:

The game does feel interesting, and I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought of the Psychonauts parallels!

7. Sheng-ji says:

Dear Ester was heavily influenced by Cornish culture too, used to see them tramping all over Whitsand bay photographing everything

8. slick_101 says:

is it me or does this have an aesthetic mash up between borderlands and amnesia?

9. Marijn says:

“After the disappointment of Anna (full WIT soon)”

Awwwww…. I was looking forward to that game.

10. thebigJ_A says:

I’d asked about the QR codes, and not having a smartphone, in the youtube comments of their trailer They got back to me almost immediately, and assured me I wouldn’t be missing anything, and they hoped I’d trust them on that. I’ve chosen to do so. Can’t wait.

Dilapinated says:

I agree. The game’s concept sounds interesting, but the trailer did nothing to sell me it.

“Okay. A pretty level.”
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAR
    “Okay. A lamp.. thing?”
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAR
    “Yes, your level design is still nice. Perhaps show me another?”
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAR
    “Ho hum.”
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAR
    “Yes, I’ve seen the lamp.”
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAR
    “Yes, and the level too. Bring the talking lady back, at least?”
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAR
    “Fine. Don’t.”

#passiveaggressiveconversationswithYoutubevideos

LTK says:

I’m rather dissapointed they didn’t choose to spell it Aether. The name looks much more aesthetically pleasing with an ae, don’t you agrae?

13. noclip says: