The RPS Bargain Bucket: Delicious & Shiny

By Lewie Procter on July 21st, 2012 at 1:30 pm.

The only thing that better than getting a new game to play is getting a new game to play and still having a pocket full of cash-money to spend on sweeties and maybe even a balloon. Here’s a bountiful selection of brilliant gaming experiences that can be had for not very much money, leaving the rest of your funds to spend on things far more frivolous than digital entertainment software. I curate a whole host of good value gaming deals across all platforms, around the clock, over at the SavyGamer.co.uk internet website. You should totally hit it up. Here’s this week’s Bargain Bucket:

No Time To Explain – £2.45/€2.47/$3
Laser jetpack toting sidescroller with a time travelling paradoxical set up that will probably hurt your brain if you think about it too much. This is one of those games where you’ll probably die a lot, and then probably die some more, but once you’ve mastered the controls and the learnt levels, you’ll probably die slightly less often. They’re planning on doing the Steam Green Light thing when it launches, so keep an eye out for that if you’d like to see this on Steam.

R.U.S.E. – £4.99/€7.49/$7.49
Update: For you fancy European types, aparently this is cheap direct from Steam, at €6.69. Cheers Jan for the info.
Registers on Steam. Some bloke called Kieron said this in the RPS verdict.

The heart of the game for me is how it deals with the fog of war. You know – how it walks a line between various “levels” of knowledge. As in, you *can* see all the map. So you can plan. And you know when there’s a big army coming – just not what the army is. When you’re close up, you get perfect knowledge – meaning scouting is still important. However that opens up this whole delicious space for the ruses to operate in.

(actual link here).

Sniper Elite V2 – £9.60/€12.33/$14.99
Registers on Steam.
A sniping game about sniping dudes with your sniper rifle. Here’s the RPS verdict, where Jim opined the following:

I suppose the conclusion here needs to be that Sniper V2 is mostly solid as a linear shooter with co-op and multiplayer options, but that it does not fall far from a template that many of us are now tired of. If you want genuinely breathtaking sniper experiences, you’ll have to look elsewhere. I heard that Arma 2 game is good, especially with a few mods.

It got cheap rather quick, didn’t it? I suppose that is the way of things these days.

Worms & Alien Breeds for cheap
“Save up to 66% on Select Team17 PC Titles!” the email said to me. There’s no sign of Superfrog, so it’s just Alien Breed, Alien Breed & Alien Breed, and Worms, Worms & Worms. Here’s wot Jim thought of Alien Breed 3: Descent:

If Alien Breed 3 represents anything worth talking about, it’s the power that single ideas have exerted over video games for decades now: science fiction procedures that are almost second nature: Aliens as shorthand for grit in space. It was once the brooding alternative to shiny space opera, and now that seems redundant, too. Where now for the future of conflict among the stars?

Where now indeed.

Deal of the week
The Steam Summer Sale.
Yes, as you may have heard, the Steam Summer Sale is still a thing. If you’re quick you can pick up RPS favourites Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, Bulletstorm, Morrowind and Oblivion for not very much money. There’s also DXHR, The Civilization games, and both of the Crysis (Cryses?) games. There’s only one full day left of the sale, so it’s a good idea to have a search through everything that’s reduced if you don’t want to miss anything. I wonder if the flash sales are going to be a regular thing, or something that’s just reserved for the Summer and Winter sales. What’s your haul from this year’s sale?

Also of note:
Kalypso promo at GOG.

For all the cheap games all the time, use your mouse to click on this link to SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. Unfair says:

Back with another weekly dose of 2-minute game review goodness!

Only one indie bundle this week was brave enough to compete with the Steam sale (which has been eating up a lot of my time with reviews: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnfairReviews/videos?view=1 )

Groupees Build-a-bundle 2 (Select 3 to 12 games)

Will Fight for Food
    Dino D-Day
    Dead Horde
    Iron Grip: Warlord
    A Stroke of Fate: Operation Valkyrie
    Depth Hunter
    Hammerfight
    Alien Breed: Impact
    DogFighter
    Syberia II
    Tiny Bang Story
    Postal (Not reviewing, won’t record right and has bad controls anyway)

I have many of those up already, should be posting the last few this morning. Tiny Bang Story, Depth Hunter, and Dino D-Day are all unusual and interesting in different ways.

• KDR_11k says:

Hammerfight is great but the difficulty spikes far too early. If you manage to beat the first boss fight (suggestions: Lower the game’s mouse DPI setting to about half the detected value, stay away from the thing you’re supposed to protect because the boss only aims at you but could kill your protegee by accident) it gets a lot more fun. The feeling of impact from the weapons is outstanding.

• Unfair says:

I didn’t really feel it was hard, just tiresome to constantly move my mouse in circles. Motion controls rarely work well in games, and this is no exception merely because most people won’t have the stamina for this kind of sustained repetitive arm motion.

• Theon says:

Just crank up that DPI, and you’re fine.
          It’s really a fun and beautiful game.

Could really benefit from a local (single-screen) multiplayer, though.

2. Inglourious Badger says:

Cheers Lewie. I read this even though I’ve spent all my monies on the Steam Sale. My haul, you ask? Why:

Red Orchestra 2
    Both Longest Journeys
    Fear 3 (or F.3.A.R. if you must)
    Dear Esther
    Asscreed:Revs
    Hitman Blood Money
    Dead Island
    and From Dust

That should keep me going. Plus, after months of waiting, the DOTA 2 access Valve gave me in the middle of the Steam sale. Games are like buses, obviously.

• Unfair says:

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
      QUBE
      Vessel
      Wings of Prey
      Sol Exodus

• grundus says:

Since approximately no one asked:
      Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (seems so long ago…)
      DCS: Black Shark
      Myst: Masterpiece Edition (doesn’t work)
      Riven (does work)
      Payday: The Heist
      Cargo! The Quest for Gravity
      STCC The Game
      STCC The Game 2
      Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb
      Arkham City: Harley Quinn’s etc.
      Various Killing Floor DLCs
      Dear Esther
      A couple of Saints Row 3 DLCs
      Take On Helicopters w/Hinds DLC
      Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
      RealMyst (because Myst didn’t work)
      Thief: Deadly Shadows
      The Longest Journey
      Wings of Prey
      Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Gifts: Magicka plus a pile of DLC.
      Gifted: Harley Quinn’s etc., Payday and ITSP.

And I thought at 200ish games there was nothing left to buy… And there’s still a couple of days left but I think I’ve seen all there is to see. Unless Arma II: CO is discounted enough, in which case I might have to gift a copy.

• Nim says:

Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
      Alice: Madness Returns
      Hard Reset

Then the missus said stop.

• Koozer says:

I couldn’t wait for daily deals, so I bought KOTOR on the first day \o/ I now also own:

Jedi Knight series
      Star Wars: Republic Commando
      The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb expansion
      W40K: Space Marine (more fun than anticipated, especially the MP!)

I have resisted Warlock before, but if it comes up in the flash sale I may not be able to resist…
      I am still waiting for Arma II too.

• woodsey says:

For me:

LIMBO
      Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines (been meaning to play it for years)
      All three STALKER games (£5!)
      Red Orchestra 2
      And uhh… Velvet Assassin – looked like an alright stealth-em-up for £2

• stiffkittin says:

Don’t forget to pick up the latest Wesp5 fan patch for Bloodlines. The super easy installer gives the option of “+” (extra content) and vanilla flavours as well as engine resolution patches and works like a charm on the Steam version. Highly recommended.

• woodsey says:

Thanks a lot, saves me having to stroll the depths of strange forums looking for the right one.

• stiffkittin says:

No problem. Troika’s games really need those patches, although Bloodlines is more polished than most. Luckily they’re so good that loyal fans continue to update, fix and tweak them.

I didn’t enjoy the widescreen patch personally. Source scales beautifully but it makes scripted in-engine cut-scenes a bit manky. Actors gliding into original FoV sans animation, ugly clipping, weird stretched angles etc. In gameplay though everything looks lovely and facial animations from even this old version of Source are still fantastic.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

So far, I got:

-Streetfighter Arcade Edition
        -Mirror’s Edge
        -Warhammer 40k, Space Marine
        -The remainder of the dlc for Dawn of War 2: Retribution
        -Portal 2 (first Valve game I’ve ever bought, actually)
        -Beat Hazard
        -Brink

• Kaira- says:

EYE: The Divine Cybermancy

Only game bought from Steam, then I bought the Plentiful Paradox Pack from Amazon. I think I’m set for the next few years of gaming with that.

• TsunamiWombat says:

I spent alot of money on price slashed DLC I didn’t already have, including new DLC for Magicka, Dungeon Defenders, and Space Marine and Fallout: New Vegas

I purchased:

Longest Journey
      The Darkness 2
      Alice: Madness Returns
      Assassins Creed
      Assassins Creed 2
      Assassins Creed Brotherhood
      Assassins Creed Revelation
      Batman Arkham City (and all DLC)
      Divine Divinity
      Fear 3
      Alan Wake: American Nightmare
      Gratuitous Tank Battles
      Nexuiz
      Prince of Persia (Reboot)
      Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
      Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
      Shoot Many Robots
      Tom Clancys Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
      Vessel

And probably DLC I forget about. My basic rule was to never buy anything unless it was less than 10 dollars, or marked off 75%

• KDR_11k says:

Brink
      the 2K pack (mostly for Spec Ops, that plus The Darkness 2 pretty much covers the cost of the bundle already)
      Dead Island
      Deus Ex Human Revolution’s DLCs (had the base game from an earlier sale, still haven’t touched it…)
      Dungeon Siege 3
      Nexuiz
      Payday: The Heist
      Sanctum
      Ys Origin
      QUBE (and already beat it)
      I also gifted an Indie bundle to a friend.

Not directly part of the sale:
      Air Mech beta bundle (it’s 33% off, not sure if that’s related to the sale)
      CoD MW3 (retail had it 10€ cheaper than Steam)

Overall I’m surprised, I thought I had bought more than that.

• hilltop says:

Capsized
        Dear Esther
        Far Cry, Far Cry 2, DLC
        From Dust
        Metro 2033
        The Witcher 2
        Zeno Clash

Positively reserved, compared to the posts above!

• Davie says:

Well, if this is a thing we’re doing:
      Trine 2
      Mirror’s Edge
      Dragon Age Origins Ultimate
      All Fallout: New Vegas DLC
      All Deus Ex Human Revolution DLC
      Alan Wake
      Civilization Pack (Everything ever with the exception of God and Kings)
      Batman Arkham Asylum

That should last me till Dishonored and Borderlands 2, and then some.

• mrcalhou says:

Batman Arkham City
      Batman Arkham City: Challenge Map Pack DLC
      Two Worlds II Bundle
      Two Worlds 2 Castle Defense
      The Witcher 2
      Sid Meier’s Civilization III: Complete
      Alan Wake Bundle (Summer 2012)
      Toy Soldiers
      Assassin’s Creed Revelations – Gold Edition
      Shogun 2 Collection
      Summer Sale Indie Bundle Day Two
      Demigod 4-Pack
      Warlock DLC
      Warlock – Master of the Arcane
      Warlock Power of the Serpent DLC
      Stellar Impact Bundle
      SpaceChem

And I picked up the Civ V, Civ IV, and Stronghold bundle from Amazon.

• Kuschelwampe says:

My haul so far:
      Portal 2
      Trine 2
      BOI DLC
      Dungeon Defenders Shards DLC
      Sins Trinity
      Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
      Nexus – Jupiter Incident
      Universe Sandbox
      Evochron Mercenary
      Offspring Fling

3. The Pink Ninja says:

That mustash always make me feel uncomfortable

• Unaco says:

How do you think the cat feels? And Jane Jensen, when she wakes up every morning and remembers “Dear God! I wrote THAT puzzle?!?!?”, briefly considers suicide, but then remembers all that waits her on the other side, the shades of all those angry, bitter adventure gamers and people who had GK3 bought for them by a loved one and so had to, not only play the game, but also pretend that they enjoyed it, so she goes back to sleep to come up with more insane f*cking dreamlogic with which to construct the parts of her games.

Yeah… so you think you’re uncomfortable?

• MondSemmel says:

No, if Jane Jensen despairs, it’s that that puzzle is still attributed to her by people like you, Unaco, although the fact that it wasn’t actually designed by her is posted every time someone mentions this…
        See here, AGAIN: http://www.gabrielknight4campaign.com/cat_hair.php

“There is one that sticks in my mind, though. Jane had a puzzle that we had to kill which was unfortunately replaced with the famous “cat hair mustache” puzzle that the game’s producer designed. The gaming site Old Man Murray gave us an award for killing adventure games because of the cat hair puzzle, as I remember. The team hated that puzzle, but we were trying to ship a game, and so we just let it go. Funny to think about it now.”

And on a related note, this is yet another one of those times where attributing everything about a game to a single person makes little sense and is even, in this case, wholly factually incorrect.

• Unaco says:

No sense of humour when it comes to Gabriel Knight then? Or Adventure Games in general? Did one steal your 3 arcane amulets and unlock the secrets of your family… screw it, actually, nothing I could come up with would be as actually insane as real Adventure logic.

It was joke. Anyway, Old Man Murray says it’s by Jane Jensen, and he’s got a Wikipedia page. Who is that Ingrid Heyn?

• Koozer says:

• malkav11 says:

Pretty sure it was mentioned during the Pinkerton Road kickstarter that Jane didn’t do that puzzle.

• Unaco says:

“Maybe he has a sense of humour AND an unbending thirst for the truth to out? Crazy, I know!”

That could be the plot/backstory of a protagonist for an Adventure game y’know. A former Cop, now a Private Detective and Stand-up Comedian, has to track down what happened to his College Sweetheart, a games journalist who has been kidnapped cos he was getting too close to the truth about who writes Adventure game puzzles… An undead William Burroughs, high on quaaludes, using the cut-up technique.

• LionsPhil says:

It doesn’t help that it’s entirely at odds with the hair colour.

Which, if vague memory serves, is why Gabriel is trying to hide the latter with a completely unlit baseball cap.

• Johnny Lizard says:

Thanks chaps, I’ve been wondering for a while what game that shot came from. For some reason I’ve always thought it was Republic.

4. The Pink Ninja says:

My Haul from this years sale: Having promised myself not to buy a game over £5 (Last time I did so was DXHR last cotober for my birthday) I picked up:

Dear Esther
    LA Noire
    Portal 2

I was tempted by Alan Wake but I think I will wait until it and all its DLC is under a fiver. Driver San Fran and F3ar were also tempting but I think I have spent enough considering my PC is bust and I have numerous other games that need completion.

Skyrim was very tempting but still, like I said, broken PC. Will wait until it is down to £15.

Martel says:

Interesting, I did almost the opposite this year. Last sale I bought a ton of cheap $5 and under games and played hardly any. So this year I went with some bigger titles (for the most part). Got
      Arkham City
      Witcher 2
      Saint’s Row the Third
      Dead Island

And a couple little ones that I couldn’t resist like Gal Civ 2

• Theon says:

Alan Wake is by far the best game I’ve played in a good long while.
      So happy that it came on sale again, giving me the opportunity to get American Nightmare for cheap, just as I was about to finish the original game campaign. Little did I know there was free extra chapters to be had, too.

All my love. ALL of it.

5. cptgone says:

Poor Cyl, he’s been trying to set things on fire all Summer Sale long, and now it’s pouring. Skul Island is vacant again…

6. FloorBelow says:

Dang, I got rused…

7. Axyl says:

Grrr. Sniper Elite V2 via Amazon is US only. I have no idea how to enter a US billing address.. I wouldn’t know where to start. :(

• Timmeister says:

I believe the recommend thing to do is to put in the address of an american university. For example Harvard: Massachusetts Hall
      Cambridge, MA 02138

Not tried it myself but should work in theory?

• woodsey says:

I Google-mapped a Starbucks in Boston or somewhere, worked for me.

• Kuschelwampe says:

borderlinx.com would also be a place to start. Worked for me.

8. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

Bulletstorm an RPS favourite? It wasn’t even on the Christmas list.

9. Moraven says:

Gamestop started Friday limited Flash Sales awhile ago.

GoG.com did the community voting for their summer sale.

Seems Valve jumped on those 2 concepts.

• malkav11 says:

Except Impulse’s “flash sales” have been artificial scarcity imposed on an infinite product – i.e., they’ve been limited to the first 500 buyers, generally. Steam’s flash sales seem to be just another shot at the same deals that are going on daily, and they’re time limited, not sales limited. Way better.

10. Freud says:

I’ve been a bit disappointed in the Steam summer sale, both when it comes to the games and the prices.

• InternetBatman says:

The games have been pretty good, and a lot have been on sale without being feature. Pixeljunk eden for $2. I was most surprised by Crusader Kings for $10, but there’s no way I want to pick up another of that publisher’s games when I bought their whole catalog off gamersgate.

I was disappointed by the lack of achievements and events.

• Unfair says:

Windosill is another of those hidden gems. I only realized it was on sale when I looked at my wishlist. Here’s a review for people who have no idea what I’m talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUuFfSJ2zE

Highly recommended way to spend a full $1 of your money.

• InternetBatman says:

Yeah, I got it in one of the bundles and really enjoyed it.

• Mattressi says:

The only thing I’ve been disappointed by is the flash sales – and only because they’re too short, so I don’t see them all. I’m still so sad that I missed Take on Helicopters at 66% off :(
      The only game I wanted in the sale and I missed it.

11. YogSo says:

Meanwhile, on That Digital Store Which Shall Not Be Talked About In The Bargain Bucket (a.k.a. Green Man Gaming), there’s a week-long 75% off sale of Metro 2033 (Steam key): Here. The price can be further reduced 20% more using this coupon: COSYO-UDIDN-TGET1. And if you have some games in there to trade-in (i.e., the free Commandos 3 that they gave away for one day last month) you can get Metro free, or almost free.

• RogB says:

traded in disciples 2 that i got free and never even installed, got Metro 2033 Free! thanks for the tip!

/doffs cap

12. Xzi says:

You should not have asked what I got from this Steam sale.

Fallout 3 GOTY
    Fable TLC
    The Witcher Enhanced
    Morrowind and Oblivion GOTY
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
    Rochard
    Supreme Commander gold

The sad thing is that I already owned probably a good fourth of this, and just bought those games to have them on Steam.

• Paul B says:

I think you bought the whole store ;) Saying that, I’ve also re-purchased games during the sale just so I can have them on Steam. It’s scary how far ahead Steam is in the land of digital downloads.

13. MythArcana says:

Man, you people are completely lost without Steam.
    Here, be brave and step outside the box for once;

Drox Operative – 25% off the new beta.

• SiHy_ says:

Wait, what did you say!? What about Steam!? Is it going somewhere!? What do you mean we’re lost without it!? Do You Know Something that we don’t!? Tell us dammit! Not that we need Steam!! Ha ha, no… no we can quit any time we want!!! Honest! No, don’t need Steam at all… at all. So, what do you know!? TELL US!!!

• Kuschelwampe says:

Did as you command and bought it immediately. Well, almost, after reading the preview on SpaceSector.
      Thanks for the tip!

14. CarrotyMrTaters says:

I went to buy bloodlines as soon as i saw it here… there was literally 5 seconds left of the 75%, damn steam log-in.

15. Dr I am a Doctor says:

Bad Rats
    Razor2
    Diner Dash
    Secret of Magic Crystal
    Postal 3
    Flatout 3
    Railworks 3
    Horrid Henry
    Bulletstorm

Overall I think I scored good

e:(the only joke here is Postal 3, I didn’t buy it.)

16. SprintJack says:

Arma 2: CO is 40% off at Steam right now.

17. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

I can’t even remember anything I bought that wasn’t Warlock, since that’s all I’ve been playing since it was first on sale. Is there anything more satisfying than laying siege to a city with vampires and catapults? Maybe breaking a siege with vampires and catapults. I truly hope it builds up the multiplayer base it deserves.

(Well, and I finally took a chance on Zeno clash, and the few minutes I took to try it out were… refreshing, is the word. Singular work of imagination and all that. Really looking forward to it.)

18. quincunx says:

Assassin’s Creed II
    Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
    Assassin’s Creed Revelations
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
    Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
    Prince of Persia (Reboot)
    Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

19. Radiant says:

Ruse for single player only.
    Yay or nay?

drewski says:

Not much in this summer’s sale. Trying to restrict myself to stuff which is so cheap it would be a crime not to buy it, and stuff my PC can actually run ie, not very much.

Ben There, Dan That
    Hard Reset
    Portal 2
    SpaceChem
    Time Gentlemen, Please!
    And the Heir to the Throne expansion pack for EUIII.

21. bozhen88 says:

[img]http://www.dubaa.info/good.gif[/img]

22. Avish says:

Don’t have too much time for games these days and there are still plenty of games I have got into, in my steam library. So I restrained myself from buying too much, with the knowledge that all these lovely games, I avoided buying, will be on sale sometime, somewhere.

My loot so far:

Saints row the third.
    Trine 2.
    Dear Esther.
    Alan wake: American nightmare.

Also got Darksiders for free from Greenman Gaming, buy recycling Commandos 3 and Disciples 2.

I never bought anything from GMG, with real money, and I have a little guilt in my heart. So maybe I’ll buy To the moon from them ( 9$ + 20% coupon).

Edit: Just did! I feel much better about myself.

mineshaft says:

Goodies: lots of stuff that has a reputation on RPS, but I missed first time around.

King’s Bounty: The Legend

Botanicula
    Total War Mega pack
    Legend Of Grimlock
    The Longest Journey
    Trine 2
    Max Payne 3

I was very surprised by the quality and how recent some of the sale games were, one area I wasn’t happy with was the Total War Mega Pack, although I had 2 of the pack games already I assumed I would get the duplicates as extras to pass on to friends.. but after I bought it it informed me that I wouldn’t get those as extra copies!